As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CSS - MSIE8, input, and ul

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
The project I'm trying to do involves a form where some of the fields are laid out horizontally.

I have a really bare-bones example here with as little irrelevant code as possible: http://feral.chaosnet.org/odd/whymsie.html

In Firefox, there is no difference between the way the top and the bottom forms are rendered.

In MSIE8, the bottom form is misaligned. There's weird padding on the left edge of each input field.

The only difference in the code is that there's a <span> tag around each label and input.

Can anybody explain why this happens and if the <span> tag here is the best way to solve this issue?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
Feral on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It is rendering in Quirks mode instead of standards-compliant mode. Now, as for how to correct it, you need to add a strict DTD to the document. Details are included in that wikipedia article.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had one in the original document, but it didn't help.

I put one in the sample document. Still doing the same thing.

Edit: actually, the same document works when it's uploaded to my web host, but not when it's opened from a file local to my hard drive.

Whatever, I'm just going to chalk this up to MSIE being dumb. Thanks, De.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    It's the Compatibility View. I run into this so many times.

In IE8 go to Tools -> Compatibility View Settings and untick the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View."

I have no idea why it's the default, but it's caused me a few headaches when showing my boss a product that's half-finished and the layout / Javascript is knackered.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The developer tools in IE can be a great help in figuring out which renderer is getting used, too. Press F12 to access them.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's the Compatibility View. I run into this so many times.

In IE8 go to Tools -> Compatibility View Settings and untick the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View."

I have no idea why it's the default, but it's caused me a few headaches when showing my boss a product that's half-finished and the layout / Javascript is knackered.

Ah-ha! That explains it. Thanks!

Feral on