Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Email Permanent Failure to Deliver/Bouncing Back, Blacklisted?

AbracadanielAbracadaniel CertifiedBrimperRegistered User regular
solved

Abracadaniel on
sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683

• bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 customer@juno.com is not a valid user (state 14).

550 generally means "cant find this user." The remote domain then sends it back since it doesnt have anyone to give it to. It might be as simple as them giving you the wrong email address, have you confirmed that?

LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • LandeydaLandeyda Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I deal with this type of thing on a daily business with my job. That code can mean that the email address is just wrong, however if you're getting it across the board it means you're blocked as sender.

Yes there is a code for 'blocked', however a lot of times it's not used because the mail server doesn't want a spam server to know it is a valid address, so they send back 500 in the hopes that it will be removed from whatever list the spammer has. This is not to say you're a spammer, but anyone sending out mass emails are treated as a potential one due to the trouble they cause.

There could be other things going on, too. For example AOL returns that message after a certain time of an email address being dormant. The key is to check if it's across the board or not, per domain.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm, I'll take a look at a few other successfully sent messages on Monday and see if it's domain specific or not. It could also be that our customerbase isn't the most tech-savvy and don't know their own email address or just guessed when filling out their contact info.

Thanks.

sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683