As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All Passes are now SOLD OUT! Anticipation for badges starts now!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    < 200 Fridays left.

zerzhul on
  • DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am soooooo glad I got my 3-day passes when I did! I think it was only a few hours after I bought them that the tweet was up saying 3-days were gone! :winky:

DruidsFlame on
    sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • sociald1077sociald1077 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, did I miss the ball this year. Missed out on a 3 day, just got Friday and Sunday passes. If anyone has a 3 day pass and can not make it, keep me in mind.

sociald1077 on
    What did the 0 say to the 8? Nice belt!
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, did I miss the ball this year. Missed out on a 3 day, just got Friday and Sunday passes. If anyone has a 3 day pass and can not make it, keep me in mind.

Keep a keen eye out for the Folks Who Have Passes Thread

That's where the selling (only) of the passes will be held--at face value only of course. Possibly quite a few folks will place their passes there once they find out if they are an Enforcer or not.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    heels wrote: »
    Did I say this week? I meant today.

I would preemptively like to congratulate myself on my called shot, will update when Friday passes are sold out.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
    edited May 2011
    Friday passes are sold out. Heels is 3 for 3

zerzhul on
  • gammamonkeygammamonkey Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    I was so sad to see that everything was sold out so fast. I did not have any money to buy them in April, like I did last year and now all that is left is Sunday passes, which will probably be gone by the time my friend and I can get the money we need to buy just 2.

I am not holding my breath on finding anyone who is selling even day passes at a a reasonable rate anywhere as I have only seen 1 person who is selling them on the "for face value thread" and have already started seeing people listing them on craigslist for close to $300 for a 3 day pass. This will probably be the first time in 3 years that I will not be able to go and I only live 30 minutes from the Convention Center. I was even looking forward to getting together with some more of my out-of-town friends at the event this year.

I really did not expect this, and while I am happy that the convention is such a success, for those of us who didn't realize that the convention was going to sell out within a matter of weeks it's pretty dismaying that a good amount of those passes were probably purchased by people who intended to scalp them for ridiculous prices. I encourage anyone who is not going to be attending for one day to post on the "for face value" forum so that some of the rest of us who don't have the money to pay those who are looking to rip off a charity to make a profit for themselves can afford to go.

gammamonkey on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    They're pretty good at cracking down on scalpers.

Also, PAX and Child's Play are separate. Buying a ticket doesn't contribute anything to Child's Play (intentionally)

FyreWulff on
    edited May 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    They're pretty good at cracking down on scalpers.

Also, PAX and Child's Play are separate. Buying a ticket doesn't contribute anything to Child's Play (intentionally)

True, but it would be nice if it didn't look like a good portion of the tickets were sold to people who bought 6 passes just to sell them and not even go to the Expo. It would be nice if there were more people posting for at least Friday and Saturday passes they aren't using.

I'm also just wondering what it will be like next year, 2009 there were still day passes available to purchase when the event started, last year there were still passes available up to a month before the event, this year they are selling out 3 months in advance. I'm figuring next year they sell out within 2 weeks of early registration, the year after that they sell out before they even have tickets to sell.

gammamonkey on
    edited May 2011
    and following that logic, most people that *really* wanted to go would likely have bought them sooner rather than later.

This is how all fun events work. Once more people find out they're fun, they sell out faster. Therefore if you notice this trend, buying the passes close to when they go on sale would give you a better shot of getting one. Waiting for something that is limited in quantity is usually a bad idea. Especially when there are notices about when the passes go on sale, and when they are starting to dwindle.

zerzhul on
    edited May 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    and following that logic, most people that *really* wanted to go would likely have bought them sooner rather than later.

This is how all fun events work. Once more people find out they're fun, they sell out faster. Therefore if you notice this trend, buying the passes close to when they go on sale would give you a better shot of getting one. Waiting for something that is limited in quantity is usually a bad idea. Especially when there are notices about when the passes go on sale, and when they are starting to dwindle.

As I said before, at the time that all that was going on I had no funds that I could dedicate to it and I'm not sure if anyone saw them selling out as fast as they did.

gammamonkey on
  • RamokkRamokk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    True, but it would be nice if it didn't look like a good portion of the tickets were sold to people who bought 6 passes just to sell them and not even go to the Expo. It would be nice if there were more people posting for at least Friday and Saturday passes they aren't using.

Well (scalpers excluded), I would assume that most people who bought tickets are planning on actually going. It's still a few months away, so there aren't going to be many for sale. I'd expect more will appear in the For Sale thread as we get closer and things come up to prevent people from being able to attend.

Best bet is to just buy them the day they go on sale. It's going on your credit card anyway, so you don't have to actually pay for a month. There's not really any point in waiting. If you decide not to go or that you can't afford it later, you'll certainly have no problems re-selling it for face value after the inevitable sellout.

Ramokk on
    edited May 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »

As I said before, at the time that all that was going on I had no funds that I could dedicate to it and I'm not sure if anyone saw them selling out as fast as they did.

And now you'll know for next time to budget ahead so you have $60 for when they go on sale :) learning is fun!

zerzhul on
  • pandaconpandacon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I ordered my 3 day pass as soon I saw them available, the day after registration was put up, since PAX East sold out real fast.

What I'm worried about is the following years, this'll only get worse, and they'll probably sell out in a day or so, meaning if I'm not on top of the registration page I'll miss out. Or if their servers get clogged when trying to register, and missing out because I couldn't get through the server congestion. I can see it getting that bad.

Or maybe not, maybe I'm just overthinking this whole thing.

Tell the convention center to build a few more floors for you guys.

pandacon on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Any updates on Sunday badges?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Data Center Operations Systems Engineer Silicon Valley, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm glad I got my pass early this year!!:wink:

Dakinggamer87 on
    My Game Collection
    Dakinggamer's Paradise

PAX Prime 2015 - hotel room [] 4 day badge [√]
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    Any updates on Sunday badges?

If you don't already have one, buy it now.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am so glad my buddy went ahead and bought our 3 days awhile back!
    Gonna be my first PAX, first huge convention. Cannot wait!

afipanic on
    Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
    edited May 2011
    Sunday badges are SOLD OUT.

zerzhul on
  • GP_Jman852GP_Jman852 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All Badges Are Now SOLD OUT! Just Waiting For The Official Announcement

GP_Jman852 on
    Editor-In-Chief At The Gamerplex
    Xbox Community Xpert
    First Pax: 2011
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    man, I screwed up. I waited too long to get a 3day pass. Now it looks like I won't be going unless I get really lucky somehow and get a 3 day pass.

Viscountalpha on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    man, I screwed up. I waited too long to get a 3day pass. Now it looks like I won't be going unless I get really lucky somehow and get a 3 day pass.

Watch the forums. Once the new Enforcer recruits start getting their notices, many will have badges to sell. At that time, this thread will explode. Still, you gotta be quick! It'll be first PM, first serve.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    pandacon wrote: »
    I ordered my 3 day pass as soon I saw them available, the day after registration was put up, since PAX East sold out real fast.

What I'm worried about is the following years, this'll only get worse, and they'll probably sell out in a day or so, meaning if I'm not on top of the registration page I'll miss out. Or if their servers get clogged when trying to register, and missing out because I couldn't get through the server congestion. I can see it getting that bad.

Or maybe not, maybe I'm just overthinking this whole thing.

Tell the convention center to build a few more floors for you guys.

Yeah it might start turning into sales like they do for Blizzcon. Split it up between 2 days of sales and they are completely sold out, HAHAHAHA. Don't get me wrong I am happy that PAX has become so popular and I am very happy to be able to attend!

I think it's pretty good for the convention to sell out so early, it lets developers know that this is a convention to be at and that people are interested. My hope is that they continue to sell out this fast so that more developers want to come and show off their new IPs and preview upcoming sequels to us gamers!

DruidsFlame on
    sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • WuzelwuWuzelwu Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    About when should we expect to crash the forums then?

Wuzelwu on
    edited June 2011
    When it's time

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jonxp wrote: »

Watch the forums. Once the new Enforcer recruits start getting their notices, many will have badges to sell. At that time, this thread will explode. Still, you gotta be quick! It'll be first PM, first serve.

meanwhile ebay scalpers are selling them for 300$ right now. I wish someone from PA would go in and shut those auctions down.

Those jerks block people who want to get in.

But thanks jon, I appreciate the help.

Viscountalpha on
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jonxp wrote: »

meanwhile ebay scalpers are selling them for 300$ right now. I wish someone from PA would go in and shut those auctions down.

Those jerks block people who want to get in.

But thanks jon, I appreciate the help.

We all wish the scalpers could be shut down; unfortunately they aren't doing anything illegal. The only solution will be a non-transferable, refund only method like there is for BYOC.

Steel Fire on
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    We all wish the scalpers could be shut down; unfortunately they aren't doing anything illegal. The only solution will be a non-transferable, refund only method like there is for BYOC.

Depending on how the tickets are classified, scalping is illegal in several states. It's just hardly ever enforced.

tsrblke on
  • AlatheiaAlatheia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tsrblke wrote: »
    Steel Fire wrote: »

Depending on how the tickets are classified, scalping is illegal in several states. It's just hardly ever enforced.

Scalping is legal in Seattle. I know that for sports tickets they cannot sell tickets on stadium property, so they have to cross the street. I'm not sure if there is a similar thing for the convention center or not though. There were fines ($150 for first offense) for scalpers without a mobile-vending license at one point, I don't know if that is still in effect. The only way the police will get involved is if scalpers are creating any sort of public nuisance or safety hazard. At one point there was also a law that tickets couldn't be sold for more than face value but I am not sure if it is still in effect either.

Alatheia on
  • TriflerTrifler Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Wow... I hope PAX Prime can look into expanding. These badges sell out waaay too fast. :(

Trifler on
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trifler wrote: »
    Wow... I hope PAX Prime can look into expanding. These badges sell out waaay too fast. :(

but not to the point where it becomes unmanageable for the PA folks.

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PAX can only sell tickets for how much venue space x number of people allowed by fire code. The CC building is the largest complex to easily allow even this number of people to congregate without splitting events up into multiple buildings more than it already has. The bright side is that Seattle passed law to place stadium taxes for the next three + years, part of the monies will be used to expand the Convention Center and fund other public works. Some people aren't a fan...

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2011/05/18/stadium-taxes-bill-passes-senate-panel/

Emerez on
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trifler wrote: »

Not to be a complete dick, but the 3-day passes took about 3 weeks to sell out, and the single-day passes took another week or two after that. If you couldn't find time in a 5-week period to buy your passes, then going to PAX wasn't important enough to you for whatever reason.

I've seen concert tickets sell out in 10 minutes, I've seen con tickets sell out in an hour, and I've seen specialty movie showing tickets sell out in thirty minutes. I've gotten all of them because it was important to me to rearrange my schedule to be available for that time period in order to ensure that I could get my tickets. A "sell-out" period of three weeks for something that doesn't even have seating restrictions is absolute bliss, by comparison.

I almost missed my BYOC pass this year because I wasn't following twitter, but even though I bitch about it that still would have been my own damn fault because it was somehow not important enough to me to remember to follow twitter starting in February. PAX isn't going to get bigger due to space restrictions, so if attending is important to you, it behooves you to use the methods available in order to ensure you are notified to buy your ticket when they become available. :)

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    have the main event room at a stadium

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hope you like walking over a mile to get there and having PAX try to schedule around two professional sports teams...

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Hope you like walking over a mile to get there and having PAX try to schedule around two professional sports teams...

No thanks! The one time I was close enough to see the stadium, I hit my ratio of comfort-to-panhandling and got the creepy-crawlies of Imma-bout-to-get-mugged. I'll stay on the North side of Pioneer Square, far away from the jail mm-kay?

Emerez on
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Emerez wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »

No thanks! The one time I was close enough to see the stadium, I hit my ratio of comfort-to-panhandling and got the creepy-crawlies of Imma-bout-to-get-mugged. I'll stay on the North side of Pioneer Square, far away from the jail mm-kay?

As a local, even I don't like to be near Pioneer Square on weekend evenings. *shudder*

Masquerade78 on
  • FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As a local, I stay out of downtown Seattle in general. I only go for PAX and Sakura Con, the occasional Pokémon event, a movie at the Pacific Science Center IMAX, or a doctor's appointment. I generally loathe going downtown.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • ryamkajrryamkajr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Or you can do what I did.

I work in downtown, a few blocks from the convention center. I have trained all the homeless and beggars to avoid me when I walk down the street. I give each of them two "tries" to beg from me, which I politely decline . Once they hit that mark regardless of how many days, on the third attempt I proceed to get in their face and scream holy f*cjk to them to leave me the hell alone. Works like a charm. I can walk through most of downtown and have them part my way like the Red Sea.

While I am sympathetic to their condition (in concept) I have worked in downtown long enough to "know" most of them and know that no matter what they are not making any effort to try to change their situation. I have no respect or sympathy for them, as they have none for themselves.

ryamkajr on
    edited June 2011
    Haha, man, bums in Seattle are so passive. If you did that in Cleveland, you would have ended up in a bumfight. Those guys are super-aggressive.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png