As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I grabbed the Red Lion, I figure 2 blocks away is close enough to still be reasonable

does anyone know exactly how the parking situation works at Red Lion? Good/bad?

T4CT on
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    T4CT wrote: »

Parking anywhere downtown is extremely expensive. I spent almost $150 last year on parking alone. (I just Googled the Red Lion and its $36 a night). Most hotels also require valet parking and some do not offer in and out privileges (although you probably won't need them).This year its the train for me.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• zach807zach807 Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    If you're a poor college student, like me, then you should try the hostel. I booked my 4 nights for $128 total. Booking.com, then just search Seattle and your dates, click on the cheapest price range, and it should show up. Not exactly close to the convention center, but it's only 2 blocks from the bus/train.

zach807 on
  • savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I stayed in the Hilton last year (my 1st PAX) and after my 3rd-4th trudge up the hill, going past the Sheraton, I VOWED that next year I was staying at the Sheraton and save what remains of my knees.

Fast forward to early this week, I did my daily check of the PAX site, to see if the tickets were on sale yet (it being Tuesday (or was it Wednesday? no matter). On a whim, I clicked on the hotel link and it was Up! A miracle! I grabbed my wallet and immediately booked the room I wanted!

I so need PAX.

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
    edited April 2011
    savagehart wrote: »
    I stayed in the Hilton last year (my 1st PAX) and after my 3rd-4th trudge up the hill, going past the Sheraton, I VOWED that next year I was staying at the Sheraton and save what remains of my knees.

I'm not sure why you did any walking uphill or is it a big secret that there is a very nice tunnel under the Hilton going directly to the entrance to PAX? (ok it did suck 1 day when they had the escalators shutdown for some reason and I had to walk up them but even then that was me being a bonehead and not going back up the elevator and walking outside downhill the whole way, oops). You can get in at any time just ring the buzzer next to the door if it is locked and the guard will buzz you in. I loved it last year. OTOH the Sheraton IS right next door and its a great place to meet other PAXers. I am just mentioning this for those that do "get stuck" at the Hilton.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    T4CT wrote: »
    I grabbed the Red Lion, I figure 2 blocks away is close enough to still be reasonable

$36 a night (I remember it being less when I stayed there), they do not have valet, but they do offer in-out privileges (if the gate is closed at night, there's card slot to use that will open it) but if that's where you're staying then it's your best bet, because parking for a weekend in public space sucks, especially if they lock up at night.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i hope my travel agent can drum up something!

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hopefully Sheraton gets more Sunday night rooms. I stayed there last time I went and it was great. Hilton seems to only have single bed options. I would really like to get a room for Thursday night until Monday morning. Seems PAX is bigger than ever this year!

magiic on
    edited April 2011
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you did any walking uphill or is it a big secret that there is a very nice tunnel under the Hilton going directly to the entrance to PAX? (ok it did suck 1 day when they had the escalators shutdown for some reason and I had to walk up them but even then that was me being a bonehead and not going back up the elevator and walking outside downhill the whole way, oops). You can get in at any time just ring the buzzer next to the door if it is locked and the guard will buzz you in. I loved it last year. OTOH the Sheraton IS right next door and its a great place to meet other PAXers. I am just mentioning this for those that do "get stuck" at the Hilton.

I discovered the tunnel late Saturday afternoon. grrr It DOES make a world of difference. But the Sheraton is way closer and (if last year is any guild) packed to the gills with PAXers. :)

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
    edited April 2011
    magiic wrote: »
    Hopefully Sheraton gets more Sunday night rooms. I stayed there last time I went and it was great. Hilton seems to only have single bed options. I would really like to get a room for Thursday night until Monday morning. Seems PAX is bigger than ever this year!

Even if they had extra sunday night rooms, I couldn't use em, my twin girls start kindergarten the Monday after PAX. I just GOTTA be home for that milestone :)

savagehart on
    edited April 2011

Even if they had extra sunday night rooms, I couldn't use em, my twin girls start kindergarten the Monday after PAX. I just GOTTA be home for that milestone :)

That must be a pretty amazing feeling.

magiic on
    edited April 2011
    I am a bit boggled by the fact that the Sheraton has already run out of Sunday night rooms. Do they really not want the business? Kind of odd they offered so few Sunday rooms. Unless it was a mistake on onPeaks part..

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

edited April 2011
    how do people rate Holiday Inn?

thegh0sts on
    edited April 2011

That must be a pretty amazing feeling.

It truly is. Hard to believe that they are old enough for this. I'm pretty sure we just brought them home from the hospital last week.

I'm a Stay at Home Dad, and I think I have the best job in the world. :)

savagehart on
  • TeknoRed10TeknoRed10 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SHERATON BOOKED! PAX PRIME HERE I COME!

TeknoRed10 on
    "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule everything."
  • GoosecheckaGoosechecka Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I booked at the Crowne Plaza. It's pretty close to the convention center and there's a cafe to grab breakfast at on the way there. The rooms are nice and there's free wi-fi.

Is it August yet?

Goosechecka on
  • CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sharing a room with some new friends (four months before it even begins) at the Red Lion. From the reviews and pictures, it seems like a nice place.

CommanderTony on
    3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are Thursday - Monday Sheraton rooms now FYI

parabola on
  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    parabola wrote: »

sigh. hopefully they'll add more sunday rooms again.

Kjeldor on
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kjeldor wrote: »

Doesn't thursday through monday imply more Sunday rooms?

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • _Cowsvils__Cowsvils_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I booked at the Crowne Plaza. It's pretty close to the convention center and there's a cafe to grab breakfast at on the way there. The rooms are nice and there's free wi-fi.

Is it August yet?

I booked the Crowne Plaza, although I didn't know this at the time. Good to see I made the right call. See you there!

_Cowsvils_ on
    edited April 2011

Doesn't thursday through monday imply more Sunday rooms?

If there were there are not now. Still looks basically like it did before Lots of rooms except on Sunday. Seems odd.... Glad I snuck mine in already.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grabbed a Sheraton double bed for Thurs-Mon right after the registration went live last week. I think in the past more blocks of rooms have been added as the show gets closer, so hopefully that will help.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn, Damn, Damn. I was notified this morning by a friend on Twitter that more Sunday rooms at the Sheraton were available.....I just now get to a computer and they are gone again....damn...hope more open up...

Rayman on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just checked with our housing department, and it seems that there are no more available blocks for us to pick up in the Homewood, sorry!

:( bummer

skettios on
  • TeknoRed10TeknoRed10 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    for anyone that's stayed at the sheraton last year... do any of you remember if the tv's were console friendly? AKA, easy to setup a PS3/XBOX?

TeknoRed10 on
    "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule everything."
    edited April 2011
    I snagged a room at the Sheraton.
    How're they about the in room fridges? Would I be alright with emptying it, putting my stuff in it (soda, booze), then putting all their stuff back in at the end? Or do they get all nit picky about it?

skettios on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    How're they about the in room fridges? Would I be alright with emptying it, putting my stuff in it (soda, booze), then putting all their stuff back in at the end? Or do they get all nit picky about it?

you can often ask hotels to empty their minibar.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited April 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    skettios wrote: »

you can often ask hotels to empty their minibar.

Did not know that!
    I will do this, cause I'm always scared of getting charged and what not.

skettios on
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After emailing and asking (and forgetting to phone), OnPeak extended my Homewood reservation to Thursday night as well like I wanted. Awesome!

Does anyone know if there's a flat way (ie through the parking garages) to get to the Homewood from the convention center? That hill is a little bit daunting.. I'm not great with hills.

GeeCee on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GeeCee wrote: »
    After emailing and asking (and forgetting to phone), OnPeak extended my Homewood reservation to Thursday night as well like I wanted. Awesome!

Does anyone know if there's a flat way (ie through the parking garages) to get to the Homewood from the convention center? That hill is a little bit daunting.. I'm not great with hills.

There is not that I am aware of. You can go from homewood, up the stairs into the freeway park and then around the building to the smokers area.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    contrefait wrote: »
    GeeCee wrote: »

There is not that I am aware of. You can go from homewood, up the stairs into the freeway park and then around the building to the smokers area.

Hmm.. thanks, but I'd kind of like to avoid dodging hobos and puddles of urine. :)

GeeCee on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Freeway park is free of hobos and urine during daylight hours.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2011
    Booked into the Sheraton! Hoorah!

magiic on
  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    More sunday night rooms are available for the Sheraton, for both one and two bed rooms. Currently about 40 left of each type. Good Luck. Looks like some other hotels may have added more sunday night rooms as well.

Kjeldor on
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Booked my room at the Sheraton. The kids and I cannot wait!!

Rayman on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    More sunday night rooms are available for the Sheraton, for both one and two bed rooms. Currently about 40 left of each type. Good Luck. Looks like some other hotels may have added more sunday night rooms as well.

More Grand Hyatt rooms too.

parabola on
    edited April 2011
    is an 18 min walk to the Convention center do-able?

thegh0sts on
  • CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »

If you don't have any of the following...
    • Drunk
    • Sore as hell
    • Dehydrated
    • Lazy
    • Fear of inclines
    • Fear of walking
    ...then yeah, you ought to be fine. 8-)

Walking isn't a bad thing, it's quite fun in a nice city like Seattle with plenty of beautiful scenery. And it beats driving a personal vehicle, cab, or transit bus inside the city any day. The only real downside to it is if you are incredibly sore from walking at the convention (which means you didn't take breaks) or got too much swag/loot.

CommanderTony on
    3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
    edited April 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »

If you don't have any of the following...
    • Drunk
    • Sore as hell
    • Dehydrated
    • Lazy
    • Fear of inclines
    • Fear of walking
    ...then yeah, you ought to be fine. 8-)

Walking isn't a bad thing, it's quite fun in a nice city like Seattle with plenty of beautiful scenery. And it beats driving a personal vehicle, cab, or transit bus inside the city any day.

Also depends where you are walking from. Is that a fast walk or a sightseeing stroll? Will you be all sweaty and tired when you get there or happy and ready to stand all day in PAX? There are some very steep hills in the area as well. IMO There is no way I would want too far off I went back to my hotel to drop SWAG off at least 1 or 2 times a day last year then hurried back to see more. It all depends on your budget/missing PAX time tolerance levels.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png