As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    Is that a fast walk or a sightseeing stroll? Will you be all sweaty and tired when you get there or happy and ready to stand all day in PAX? There are some very steep hills in the area as well. IMO There is no way I would want too far off I went back to my hotel to drop SWAG off at least 1 or 2 times a day last year then hurried back to see more. It all depends on your budget/missing PAX time tolerance levels.

True true.

However, a light 18-minute stroll (if you planned for extra time to wait in line) shouldn't be a problem. And if you go back to drop off some swag multiple times per day, that's when you'd probably want to maybe throw in a cab if at all possible. I feel for those who booked hotels in Belltown or Queen Anne, nice views yes, badass uphill walks are a minus though.

CommanderTony on
    3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    is an 18 min walk to the Convention center do-able?

Also, don't forget that downtown Seattle has free bus service. With a little pre-planning and use of google maps on a smartphone, that 18-minute walk might turn out to be a 5-minute sit, a 10-minute bus ride and a two block stroll.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • bbqninjabbqninja Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    are two bed rooms at hyatt and sheriton all gone, i checked one day at sheriton it was only one beds but then the next had two, now it's one again. i want sheriton or hyatt

bbqninja on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bbqninja wrote: »
    are two bed rooms at hyatt and sheriton all gone, i checked one day at sheriton it was only one beds but then the next had two, now it's one again. i want sheriton or hyatt

Looks like Hyatt is SUPER out of two beds, and Sheraton is sold out Thursday night of two beds.. if you don't mind booking a different hotel Thursday night, you should be able to get the Sheraton for the rest of the weekend.

Hyatt @ Olive 8 has lots of rooms left with two beds too. fyi.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeeeaaaahhh.. Because of the poll I changed my room to the Sheraton. When I saw the numbers I realized that the hubby would prefer it. Better chances for after pax gaming.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I snagged a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night two-bed room at the Sheraton last night around this time.

tardcore on
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Forgive me for my n00bishness, but this is my first major convention... I booked my room outside the group block. Should I let them know that I'm attending PAX? Do they usually put the convention attendees on a particular floor, or do they just scatter them around the hotel?

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Forgive me for my n00bishness, but this is my first major convention... I booked my room outside the group block. Should I let them know that I'm attending PAX? Do they usually put the convention attendees on a particular floor, or do they just scatter them around the hotel?

Nope you are fine. They don't group people that I have seen. If you can get them through onPeak they are much cheaper though.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you can get them through onPeak they are much cheaper though.
    Not when you get an employee discount. :)

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    I'm surprised they gave you the employee discount on what they know is going to be a sold out weekend. In my experiences, most hotels don't offer their employees discounts when large events are taking place.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    is an 18 min walk to the Convention center do-able?

If you don't have any of the following...
    • Drunk
    • Sore as hell
    • Dehydrated
    • Lazy
    • Fear of inclines
    • Fear of walking
    ...then yeah, you ought to be fine. 8-)

Walking isn't a bad thing, it's quite fun in a nice city like Seattle with plenty of beautiful scenery. And it beats driving a personal vehicle, cab, or transit bus inside the city any day.

Also depends where you are walking from. Is that a fast walk or a sightseeing stroll? Will you be all sweaty and tired when you get there or happy and ready to stand all day in PAX? There are some very steep hills in the area as well. IMO There is no way I would want too far off I went back to my hotel to drop SWAG off at least 1 or 2 times a day last year then hurried back to see more. It all depends on your budget/missing PAX time tolerance levels.

most likely from Dexter Ave North (or is that Dexter North Ave?) where the holiday inn is which is a few streets away from the Space Needle and EMP according to google maps. Cabs/taxis I don't mind taking really

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
    edited April 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I'm surprised they gave you the employee discount on what they know is going to be a sold out weekend. In my experiences, most hotels don't offer their employees discounts when large events are taking place.

That's been my experience as well, so imagine the look on my face when I search for a room and find the employee rates still available. That pretty much cemented my decision to go this year... I mean, how do you say no to luck llike that?

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Kusanagi604Kusanagi604 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man I was so surprised that Homewood suites got completely booked so quickly. Guess they didn't get as many rooms this time. Last year I booked during May without any problems. I ended up calling the hotel directly to book last night. It turns out that it only cost me and my group an extra $27 for the 1 bedroom 600 sq ft (it's the same room from compass). If you decide to call the hotel directly make sure you get an online quote from their website first as I got them to honor the web price (otherwise it's $250 a night). Had a blast there last year especially with the Thursday happy hour and free breakfast.

Kusanagi604 on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey everyone,

So this is my first time at PAX for myself and my friends. There's 4 of us who frequent the forums who are all going. My question is, which hotel do you guys recommend? I see that the Homewood is apparently the shizz and is subsequently sold out. Any other hotels that are solid? Or have they all been booked up too? We were planning on booking this weekend sometime.

remlap13 on
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So after doing some research, I found that the studio rooms that OnPeak has for the Homewood are SMOKING rooms. Gross! And it's not even documented anywhere on the OnPeak website! I'm going to have to call OnPeak and/or Homewood to get this straightened out. That shit isn't going to fly.

GeeCee on
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure the Homewood doesn't have any smoking rooms at all.

At least they didn't last year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2011
    Upon further research, they offer these studio rooms in both smoking and nonsmoking.

http://homewoodsuites1.hilton.com/en_US/hw/hotel/SEAHMHW-Homewood-Suites-by-Hilton-Seattle-Conv-Ctr-Pike-Street-Washington/accommodations.do
    1 QUEEN BED STUDIO SUITE NONSMOKING
    1 QUEEN BED STUDIO SUITE SMOKING

Not sure if the block rooms are smoking or not yet though.

GeeCee on
    edited April 2011
    They block rooms are probably whatever you request.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    remlap13 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

So this is my first time at PAX for myself and my friends. There's 4 of us who frequent the forums who are all going. My question is, which hotel do you guys recommend? I see that the Homewood is apparently the shizz and is subsequently sold out. Any other hotels that are solid? Or have they all been booked up too? We were planning on booking this weekend sometime.

As you'll notice, the poll suggests overwhelming majority like the Sheraton. But many do like Homewood and pickings are slim for both. I have not stayed at either of them, until this year.

Last year we stayed at Crowne and before that we stayed at Executive Pacific. We were still able to book in June for Friday and Saturday night. Out of those two, I would recommend the Crowne. Though they messed up our reservation, they did accomodate us.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • oxfroggyoxfroggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We stayed at Red Lion last year, and it was lovely. Very close, and the staff was wonderful.

oxfroggy on
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone know if the Sheraton offers a free breakfast buffet? I looked all over the inter toobs and couldn't find anything.

tardcore on
    edited April 2011
    tardcore wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Sheraton offers a free breakfast buffet? I looked all over the inter toobs and couldn't find anything.

Nope, it doesn't.

GeeCee on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    GeeCee wrote: »

Nope, it doesn't.

It does for members of the Sheraton Club (whatever that is)

zerzhul on
  • NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    remlap13 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I stayed at the Red Lion last year. The rooms were very nice, they had free wifi, and the location was midway between the convention center and Benaroya Hall, where the main theater is.

NeuralLink on
    edited April 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    GeeCee wrote: »

Nope, it doesn't.

It does for members of the Sheraton Club (whatever that is)

Well, the Sheraton Club is actually a certain set of rooms or a certain floor.. which won't be included in our block of rooms. :P They charge $25 extra a day for those rooms, from the looks of it.

GeeCee on
    edited April 2011
    I also saw somewhere that the Sheraton does NOT offer free WiFi and they charge around $10 for every 24 hours. Is this true? No free breakfast and no free WiFi, shit, I might just have to change my reservation. I mean, I am paying $169 a night. Damn.

tardcore on
    edited April 2011
    Nope no free WiFi. Luckily I get to borrow a wireless 4G modem from work :D

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

edited April 2011
    Last year, we got free wifi with the convention's block rate. No guarantee about this year, though.

GeeCee on
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My 3G/4G card was basically useless most of the time in Boston. I expected it to be bad, but the Westin (owned by Starwood, just like the Sheraton) was charging for internet, so I figured why not try?

The coverage may be better in Seattle, but you may not able to use your wireless devices with any sort of reliability there either. Maybe someone who stayed close last year could give some actual stats on it?

MTSonic11 on
    edited April 2011
    We were at the Homewood last year. Like most hotels, they gave us a "secure" WiFi password upon checking in. When we logged in, the first page told us that our login would be valid for 24 hours. We usually got about 4 hours before either the WiFi crapped out, or our session expired. I suspect the router they were using only allowed a certain number of sessions and it would age them out pretty quickly.

The point is that if you are staying in a PAX block hotel, WiFi access, paid or not, is going to be dicey. There are just so many of us and 99% of the hotels in Seattle are simply not equipped to deal with the concentration of technology that we (collectively) are going to be bringing.

Stupid on

26904.png
    edited April 2011
    Stupid wrote: »
    There are just so many of us and 99% of the hotels in Seattle are simply not equipped to deal with the concentration of technology that we (collectively) are going to be bringing.

Sounds so epic when you say it. 8-)

CommanderTony on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, I wish there were more Thursday rooms...

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it seems odd that (many of) the hotels that are in the PAX block are only offering the reduced rate for such a short time period and not including Thursday or Sunday nights. I mean we are -guaranteed- to stay in their hotels. You would think they would be a bit more accommodating.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I stayed at the Hyatt Olive 8 last year. It's a nice hotel and a lot closer to the convention centre then the impression OnPeak gives. I would estimate I only walked a block and a half from the hotel entrance to the WSCC entrance.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Stupid wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems odd that (many of) the hotels that are in the PAX block are only offering the reduced rate for such a short time period and not including Thursday or Sunday nights. I mean we are -guaranteed- to stay in their hotels. You would think they would be a bit more accommodating.

It's not that they didn't include THUR & SUN night rooms in the pax block, it's that these have already sold out. There are the same amount of rooms this year available ad there were last year. people have been much quicker to book this PAX.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited April 2011
    MTSonic11 wrote: »
    My 3G/4G card was basically useless most of the time in Boston. I expected it to be bad, but the Westin (owned by Starwood, just like the Sheraton) was charging for internet, so I figured why not try?

The coverage may be better in Seattle, but you may not able to use your wireless devices with any sort of reliability there either. Maybe someone who stayed close last year could give some actual stats on it?

I stayed at the Hilton last year and used a Verizon 3G card the whole time because I was not paying their crazy rates for internet. It worked great for me. I'll be bringing a 4G card this year for the same reason.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• FlyinghamsterFlyinghamster Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Last year there were 4 of us that got a room together, which is basically the standard hotel room's capacity. This year, another friend is coming so, rather than fork out for another room, we're just going to cram more into the room and one or two people will bite the bullet and sleep on the floor.

My question is this: Has anyone gotten trouble from the hotels for having more people than what is technically allowed in one room?

Flyinghamster on
    edited April 2011
    Last year there were 4 of us that got a room together, which is basically the standard hotel room's capacity. This year, another friend is coming so, rather than fork out for another room, we're just going to cram more into the room and one or two people will bite the bullet and sleep on the floor.

My question is this: Has anyone gotten trouble from the hotels for having more people than what is technically allowed in one room?

They tend to be pretty diligent about this and will charge you if you get busted. I know of some people that did not find out they were getting billed until checkout also so be careful.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I might have made a mistake by booking a room at the warwick in belltown. Has anyone stayed there? It seemed pretty decent and the price was cheaper than some of the other hotels in the area. After booking it I did a bit more research and it seems that a lot of people complain it's run down and smelly. Most sites still have it at a pretty high customer satisfaction rate, but I'm not so sure about it now. Since I was at the silver cloud inn last year I decided I wanted to get a hotel a bit closer to the convention center.

mbannick on
    edited April 2011
    It's a good 9 or 10 blocks from the convention center.

CommanderTony on