As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Wisdom and First Timer Advice thread.

• Options
    EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    causabon wrote: »

Also strongly consider whether you need to check bags at all. A full-sized airline carryon (for most US carriers, that's 22" x 14" x 9" and 40 pounds max) is really quite a bit of space if you pack efficiently -- plenty of room for three days' worth of clothing, toiletries, your DS, and whatever other little things you pick up at PAX. You can also bring a second small carryon bag (like a medium messenger bag) on top of that. Even if you just have a backpack, do a test run and see how tightly your clothing compresses down. Don't go overboard with what you bring!

Space Saver/Space Bags save my life every time I travel. The few times TSA has had to look in my bag (damn you USB drive...) it was quick to repack and move on. The things seriously compress clothes down by 2/3rds of their volume.

Emerez on
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wesley wrote: »
    The title says it all. This will be my first PAX and flying from Arkansas to Seattle will be the first time I've ever flown. So if anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Wes

The best advice I can give you is to relax. My guess is you're flying to Dallas and connecting from there to Seattle. DFW is a really well-laid out airport with tram service between the different terminals and plenty of food/beverage options available. As long as you have at least an hour layover, you'll be fine. If it's Cincinnati, it's still pretty easy to get around. Even O'Hare isn't THAT bad, thanks to the moving sidewalks. If you do happen to get lost, just ask for help. Their job is to get you where you're going as quickly as possible.

The first flight will be a puddle-jump to your connection airport - no more than an hour or an hour-and-a-half. Barely enough time to get up to cruising altitude. The second flight will be longer, but get a window seat and check out the Rockies as you fly over.

As for security, I'll echo the advice of having your I.D. handy. If you're taking your laptop, I might even suggest one of the special backpacks that unzips flat for scanning, so you don't have to pull it out at security. Best $25 I ever spent outside of Minecraft. The nice thing is that you only have to go through security once each way - at your departure airport. Unless you leave the secure (terminal) area at your connection airport (which you shouldn't have to) you're still in. You'll have to go through it again when you head home (and I'd suggest being at least 2 hours early leaving Seattle the day after PAX), but again only the once.

I fly a fair amount (if you couldn't tell) and I have yet to have a body scan or anything more invasive than a random bag screening, and I've only had that once. Whatever happens, just be cool. As long as you aren't trying to bring 10 pounds of Silly Putty to PAX, you'll be fine.

As for the flights themselves, don't worry. Icing won't be a problem because it'll be AUGUST. Other problems, were they to arise, would be handled by the redundacies built into every system on the aircraft, from flight controls, to multiple engines, to hydraulics, to the environmental systems.

Flying's like half the fun for me, but I'm weird that way. Just relax and take it all in. "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." - G.K. Chesterton.

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MarkJW wrote: »
    The Conventionist only supports Android (meh) and iOS (bleh) at the moment. They're working on a Blackberry (meh) version and HTML5 (bleh). The WinMo version (awesome) is supposedly going to be almost identical to the HTML5 version (bleh). Why you do this, ProximaLabs? WinMo is the easiest platform to code for. ;_;

People still use WinMo? :P

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Cuddly AardvarkCuddly Aardvark Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I checked out that app, it looks pretty cool. When do they update it with Pax '11? I see 'East '11 and Pax Prime '10. Closer to August I presume?

Cuddly Aardvark on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    WP7 Cuvis :-D I dunno about the old WinMo :)

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    ChichenChichen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it worth it to buy a DS JUST for the fact I'm going to PAX? I used to have one but someone broke it in half (Accidentally. I have no clue how this is possible but it happened.)

Also will my backpack be a good enough bag to hold everything in while in the convention center? I plan on bringing snacks and stuff like that in my bag but I'm of course going to get merch and swag so yah.

Chichen on
  • Options
    AnorornAnororn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Chichen wrote: »
    Is it worth it to buy a DS JUST for the fact I'm going to PAX? I used to have one but someone broke it in half (Accidentally. I have no clue how this is possible but it happened.)

Also will my backpack be a good enough bag to hold everything in while in the convention center? I plan on bringing snacks and stuff like that in my bag but I'm of course going to get merch and swag so yah.

To be honest, I tend to pick up another bag for swag, and stuff only the things I'll want later in my regular pack (there's just so much swag, one bag can't hold it all!). Plus, the past couple years, booths have given away drawstring bags, which I've found make for a good supplement bag (if you can get one). May even be able to fit one of those bags on over a backpack as well.

As for if getting a DS will be useful, that's more subjective. There are a few general pros and cons, though:

Pros:
    • Thousands of people to play with (tag mode in any game works especially well at PAX)
    • Pictochat (expect it to be constantly filled with penises, though)

Cons:
    • Not cheap, especially if you go for a DSi or 3DS
    • Single player just isn't the same after PAX

In short, if multiplayer is something you REALLY want to do, and you'll have the cash for it, I'd say it's worth it. Otherwise, it might be better to give it a pass for now. There's always next year!

Anororn on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thank you for the information. I may or may not get a DS. Not sure yet. I used to have the "Old Brick" as most people called it. I loved it but somehow it broke. I still have the games for it so it might be kinda worth it to get a DS.

And I will have other people with me with bags so I won't worry too much. Mine will probably be for personal things.

Chichen on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    I checked out that app, it looks pretty cool. When do they update it with Pax '11? I see 'East '11 and Pax Prime '10. Closer to August I presume?

Conventionist and PAX Assistant (android, and maybe wp7 I think? no iOS) will be updated much closer to PAX itself.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Chichen wrote: »
    Thank you for the information. I may or may not get a DS. Not sure yet. I used to have the "Old Brick" as most people called it. I loved it but somehow it broke. I still have the games for it so it might be kinda worth it to get a DS.

And I will have other people with me with bags so I won't worry too much. Mine will probably be for personal things.

Not worth it, its too easy to spend time doing other things at PAX. If you're dead set on it, I'm sure you'll find a use for a gently used DS. Far from being required to get the most out of the experience!

Emerez on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    A DS is great for lines and meeting people.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I will divulge my group's secret, don't tell anyone: camelbaks.
    I'm suprised there are not more people who use these. Fill the bladder about 1/3rd full with ice, follow with 2-3 cans of NOS or Rockstar Cola. Insert a couple of water bottles in the side pockets and you are good to go. Our camelbaks also have storage compartments like a small back pack so we are able to put either extra drinks/snacks or swag and merch.

Also, try something new. Why not?

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I actually think there's a fair amount of people that do use camelbaks, they're not all that expensive and they're very useful

zerzhul on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In regards to feeding yourself, I strongly recommend pulling yourself away from the WSCC for food. If you have the time and the budget, Seattle has some great eateries all within walking distance.

I made the mistake of going to Subway twice last year, and regretted. I can get Subway at home. The same Subway. They're all the same. Why do what I can do at home when I can try something new or different in a different city. I had some incredible sushi (tried BBQ eel for the first time), great Italian, and even wonderful breakfast, all just by taking a few steps away from the WSCC. PAX will still be there when you get back.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ChadTVChadTV Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tukimoshi wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to ask. Be sure to line-up early for things you really want to see, things fill up fast. You'll make friends in the line-up, that's how I spent a couple hours in the concert line-up. We (my friends and I) learned a lot about Seattle after we spent a couple hours talking to some people who were locals. Everyone is really friendly so don't be afraid to meet people. Try and bring something to entertain yourself too, a DS is a great idea because there's a Pokemon League and lots of people to play with.

Oh, and don't try to plan everything. You'll be dissappointed when you don't get to places on time, etc. Keep an eye on things you really want to attend like high-profile panels, they will fill up fast. Be sure to check out all the booths, some of the best games are the small indie booths.

I also recommend bringing some cash to the event. There's a lot of merch and it's so tempting! I couldn't help myself last time but I don't regret spending a single cent even today.

Oh, and the biggest tip of all: PLAN FOR ONE HEALTHY MEAL WHILE YOU ARE AT PAX. THIS DOES NOT MEAN A SALAD FROM MCDONALDS. Plan for a decent meal or two while at PAX, it'll make your experience much better. I went to the Hard Rock Cafe one night after eating fast food the rest of the time, and it was probaly the best $30 I spent at PAX. I highly recommend it, and last year, there was a discount at the cafe for PAX-goers.

Plus, they have an awesome gamer drink that's a mix of Mango, Red Bull, and crushed ice. So good.

I couldn't agree more. I spent a good amount of time making an itinerary of all the panels I wanted to go see back to back, and in reality once I got to PAX and saw the lines for each I knew it would be impossible to follow. Even if you miss out on every panel/concert at PAX, roaming the convention center all three days is such an awesome time.

Also, I agree with the Hard Rock Cafe, feeling a bit adventurous I tried the Seattle coffee burger and it was incredibly good. I can't wait for August to get here so I can re-do my favorite things come PAX time.

If you can, my recommendation is to get to Seattle by Wednesday to get your bearings and a feel for the area, that way come Friday you're not overwhelmed by both Downtown Seattle and PAX.

ChadTV on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    odd question kind of I guess. But as someone who has never gone to PAX what are some videos of past PAX's I could watch? If you have links that's a bonus.

Chichen on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    on a lot of the first two pages, I noticed people asking how much money they should bring for food, merch, etc.

we already know you've spent the money for your ticket, plane ticket, and hotel. so that's already taken care of.

first, make sure if you are staying far away, or are flying, that you have transportation money set aside. From the Sheraton to SEATAC Airport is a hefty taxi price of about $30-$40 bucks. But as others mentioned, the Light-Rail is way cheaper.

second, make sure you have money for food. There are cheaper places like the grocery store, but if you plan to eat at fancy restaurants. That said, there are places at Pike's Place and at certain highrises that are pretty cheap for lots of food. Still, plan on $40 PER DAY. Remember, tip 15%-20% if the service was good. Dont fall for the sob story of "gamers dont tip well".

now you can think about merch. spend only what you can afford to spend. Dont be like those crazy christmas shoppers a couple months after PAX that will spend $5k on every friggin person they know. At Pax Prime 2010, T-shirts were sold at $20 starting. Dice were pretty expensive too from what I remember (but they are cool as sin).
    Some places sold hats for $10.

Myself, Im not a big merch spender, I got away with about $200 for merch -and- food at Pax 2010. Still, I had $300 that I was willing to part with that weekend.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I too have $200-$300 for merch. My friend is also putting away that much money for merch. Should be great. Going to be my first PAX so hopefully there are some interesting things to buy apart from clothes.

Chichen on
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been the last four year and besides a couple of shirts, I don't buy the merch. It's not like you can't usually get it before or after PAX. Also I do some research of area restaruants and their prices, stars, and best times to eat there. I usually make it out $25-30 a day on food. It is up to everyone personally, how much they are going to spend?

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    The easy answer to this is that you decide how much you're going to spend and spend it. For food, you have to spend something, and the quality of the food you eat will be dictated by the amount of money you decide to spend on it. As for swag, you can get away with spending nothing or spending $500 depending on your interests and budget. Chances are, no matter how much you decide to spend, there will always be something that you want that you can't afford/aren't willing to part with that much money on.

So, make your own budget and stay within those means. If you have a basic idea of things you will definitely want to buy, then make sure your budget covers those things plus a little extra for those things that you will come across that you didn't know you wanted until you saw them.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    1) Be warned, Seattle is ridiculously expensive, especially on the food. $30 for just a meal (no drinks) in Seattle downtown is to be expected. At least $150 for swag if you want a lot of memories. But, you can also do it cheap, I've done one year with literally $20 for food over three days (I also used to fast for a week once a year for religious purposes, so be careful about doing that. I'm kinda used to low amounts of food and being fine, most folks aren't.)

2) Last year's weather was bad, hopefully this year it will be better. But be prepped for the drizzle of doom that Seattle is infamous for.

3) Good shoes, good clothes, and long showers make PAX much more fun. I carry my backpack with me, so I can go berserk on goodies if need be.

4) Use the Conventionist / apps / twitter to figure out what you want to do. Lines were ridiculous last year, and they'll be the same this year. Be selective, plan out the must-do activities, and just enjoy the rest.

5) If you like avoiding crowds, figure out when the best panels are, and hit the expo hall then. :D Granted, you miss those panels, but, hey, you avoided crowds, right? (Also, don't the DVDs have all the panels on them?) I tend to do Friday panels, Saturday expo hall. You don't get swag, or always the best panels that way, but you don't have as much of a crowd to deal with usually. Then again, last year, the big panels weren't in the convention center, so that also made things different.

6) Be social; PAX is the friendliest place I've ever been (and I'm a midwesterner to boot). Everyone there is a geek. Also, Seattle is geek mecca, so most folks, even if they aren't geeks themselves, will get most of the pop culture references. I haven't had to use my DS, just because I can usually strike up a conversation with the people in line with me, and that can make the time fly.

Cybit on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If you do your research you can get really good for for under $20 but you have to look about online and really take the time to see what your fellow people think. There is a great forum page for food and pax (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=140607).

hml151 on
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cybit wrote: »
    1)

2) Last year's weather was bad, hopefully this year it will be better. But be prepped for the drizzle of doom that Seattle is infamous for.

What the deuce... O_o last year's weather was perfectly lovely. All the photos I took outdoors during that time were of blue skies and sunshine.

Emerez on
  • Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, sorry, maybe I got it confused with another year. >_< They all start to run together at some points... :D

Point still remains, weather can get really, um, squirrely.

Cybit on
  • Options
    oskrtgoskrtg Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    1) Spouting internet memes doesn't make you a comedy genius.
    2) The people around you at PAX are now your friends, but are still strangers. Don't push this new relationship too far.
    3) Just play it cool, boy. Real cool.

I can't stress #1 here enough! - Yes we all get it, you love invisible bicycle cat you're hilarious.... 'cept while those things amuse us too, there are other more valuable things to discuss when talking to a person who is standing in front of you and not some anonymous name on the internet.

Politeness will get you VERY FAR at PAX. Nobody wants to help the guy/girl butting people out of their way because they NEED to get to the Portal 9 Demo before everyone else!

Think someone is worth talking to but feeling awkward about starting up a conversation? Compliments are usually a very nice way to break the ice!

oskrtg on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok, I have a question in the vein of swag. On average, how much swag that's actually worth keeping do you usually get? I'm going to be picking up a 2-4 things from the merch booth, but what kind of other stuff is worth keeping and bringing home?

I'm asking because I'm going to want to pack as light as possible, i.e. as small a set of luggage as possible for the trip. Don't want to bring a monster suitcase only to come back with it mostly empty, and don't want to get stuck with too much stuff and only a small bag to try to fit it into.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    causaboncausabon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Ok, I have a question in the vein of swag. On average, how much swag that's actually worth keeping do you usually get? I'm going to be picking up a 2-4 things from the merch booth, but what kind of other stuff is worth keeping and bringing home?

Very little. If you're lucky, you might get a T-shirt in your size, and there might be a couple of little things from the swag back you want to keep - demo discs, CCG starter, but nothing bulkier. On the very slim chance you get something that's both genuinely nice and inconveniently large from a contest giveaway (does Intel hand out their button prizes on site?), there's a FedEx shipping station in the convention center and a post office just down the hill.

causabon on
  • Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    does the convention center (or 'centre' for those in UK English) have lockers that you can rent out?

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    ChaossebbaChaossebba Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    does the convention center (or 'centre' for those in UK English) have lockers that you can rent out?

I didnt think about this, but that's a good question - In case we want to drop something off and pick up later and stuff.

Chaossebba on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Chaossebba wrote: »

I didnt think about this, but that's a good question - In case we want to drop something off and pick up later and stuff.

yeah, like if you have heaps of schwag that you don't want to constantly carry back and forth from your hotel room. more time at the expo = more to experience.

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Chaossebba wrote: »

yeah, like if you have heaps of schwag that you don't want to constantly carry back and forth from your hotel room. more time at the expo = more to experience.

As I recall from last year (MY 1st PAX), no lockers. Which is one of the reasons (IMO) that the Sheraton is the hotel of choice for a lot of PAX-ers. Extremely close, so easy to run (or in my case walk fast-ish), drop stuff off, get back very quickly.

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    man i am going to have a sore back from all that free stuff.

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sometimes the back pain is worth it. I have a spinal condition and expect to take full medications and lot of stretching to the enjoyment of the weekend. We have found over the last four years that you just take two to three times a day we are going to the hotel or part of our group is and we can send our goodies hotel side.

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    man i am going to have a sore back from all that free stuff.

If time (and the amount of panels you want to go see) permits it, it's easier to go through the Expo Halls on Friday, get all the free stuff/purchase stuff THAT DAY. That way, you will have a lighter bag/backpack on the other two days and you don't have to worry about the whole "Non-Buyer's Remorse"* throughout the rest of the Con.

* = Opposite of Buyer's Remorse, most commonly seen during conventions of any kind. For example, you wanted the PAX '11 shirt in fill-in-the-blank size that you saw on Friday. You wait until Sunday to get it. Oops! No more of fill-in-the-blank size. And you mumble and grumble about it until the following year (or until PAX-E '12.)

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't usually buy much stuff at conventions but I think PAX will be different. I'm bringing $250 with me for just merch. It should be nice.

Chichen on
  • Options
    SambaSamba Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do any of you guys have suggestions of bags that work for you? I'm probably putting too much thought into this, but I dont want to end up with my pax ruined due to a crappy bag.

Samba on
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Samba wrote: »
    Do any of you guys have suggestions of bags that work for you? I'm probably putting too much thought into this, but I dont want to end up with my pax ruined due to a crappy bag.

Read further back in this thread suggestions were made.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    SambaSamba Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    Samba wrote: »

Read further back in this thread suggestions were made.

I know, a lot of people say messenger bags are the way to go, and I'm just wondering what people agree is a good size/model/brand to bring.

Samba on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I bought a really nice SWISS backpack that I love and was fantastic win for me. A fair number use camelbaks as well because they include a water reservoir which can be very useful for keeping hydrated.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i have a maxpedition monsoon gearslinger that's half backpack/half messenger bag. works great too!

thegh0sts on