As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did I encounter a meatspace phishing scam?

Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I got a letter from the DMV today demanding that I prove my insurance to them, or they'll suspend my license. The letter states it's part of the process of random sampling as required by law.

I've checked the return address, and it does appear to be a DMV building, but the whole thing still smells fishy to me. I plan on calling the DMV to check, but that won't be an option until Monday, so in the meantime, I figured I'd see if anybody else had encountered this.

sig_megas_armed.jpg
Bionic Monkey on

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This seems to indicate it's legitimately a thing they do. If it's also an actual legitimate DMV that it came from, it's probably the real deal.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Definitely call the DMV. Not the number on the paper, but a number you find from an independent source, just to verify. I'm terrifically paranoid when it comes to things like that.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just go in person, Early. I would figure it's legit. It is the oregon DMV. They do annoyingly stupid stuff like this.

Also (and again) When you go, Go EARLY! If you wait until the afternoons it gets packed. I've heard though we are fortunate that we don't have to blow a whole day unlike NYC just to go to the dmv.

Viscountalpha on