As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Final Fantasy VI Advance: PART V: SAND IN MY BOOTS, URGE TO KILL RISING.

Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
FINAL FANTASY VI ADVANCE

amano-final-fantasy-vi.jpg

Magical Mecha, Steampunk Cities, Evil Empires, Airships, and Every Man, Woman, and Child Looking like a Blonde Supermodel.

Final Fantasy VI is the crown jewel of the mighty SNES's fantastic RPG lineup. Oh sure, some people like the easy action and pace of Chrono Trigger better, or find the moving story of DQ V or the crazed 50's America vibe of Earthbound more memorable but this right here is the total package of RPGs. It is definitely the first time Square really flexed their muscle and tried to release a truely cinematic game. The graphics were a real step up over FF V, especially in the backgrounds and the musical score is usually regarded as the best work of all videogamedom.

As you may or may not know I've been thinking about LPing this game for a very long time, and even started a thread long long ago; I unfortunately hit the submit new thread button a bit early and got sidetracked, but one issue has always come up whenever I've teased it; what to do about naming the characters.

It's called Let's Play for a reason, so whenever user input comes in I feel it is necessary for my viewing public to have a say. Like when I had people submit names for planets in my MoO thread way back when. This game actually has a decent amount of choice compared to most JRPGs of that (or any come to think of it) era. But since this game is so beloved in the minds of many fans this ended up with quite the division; some people take it super seriously and don't want the names changed around (and some even wanted the ridiculous Japanese names brought back like Mash and Tina!) while others didn't mind a Terra named Fagballs or a Locke named Hobbs. It took me almost six months of thought after my last failed attempt on how to fix this issue, and then it came to me.

Meritocracy.

The fans who work the hardest/answer questions the fastest, bring me the best fan art/remixs should get the choice. This game has a lot of choices, and besides a very rare circumstance wherein we'd lose some game content by not choosing a particular person for our party I'm leaving them all to you.

Decisions to be made by you:

Names of all characters: Obviously, the default name is an option.
Party make up: Unlike most FF games you can usually choose your party from available characters most of the time. Even during the relatively linear first half you still have plenty of options for choice.
Which path to choose: One point in the story gives us the choice of three parties. While all eventually have to be completed you'll still have the choice of which one to pursue first.
THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF OF THE GAME IS NOTHING BUT A FREE CHOICE-A-THON. You only need to visit about five places to beat the game and recruit only three characters, including the one you start with.

Rules:

Fanart must be work safe and beyond that, in good taste. All answers will be submitted by Private Message. Any trivia questions or short essay questions will be posted at some later time from the actual update to give people a fair shot at answering them (probably 10-11pm eastern) and the first correct answer will win. Repeat winners may be eligible for some future prize near the end of the thread.

Contests:

1. For the right to name the first character: Bring me the full set of FF VI's menu sprites for use in long conversations where I won't show every screen. The winner will be the first with a complete set, or the most complete. May the best man or woman win.

Cast of Characters:

6terraa1.jpg
Name: ???
Job: Mindless Battle Thrall

??? enjoys long, stompy marches through the snow, sepia tone flashbacks of train excerises/massacres and having the largest selection of somewhat useless Magitek commands.

250px-Biggs.jpg

Name: Biggs "Vicks" Darklighter
Job: Ranking Officer on the Narshe Incursion

Biggs was given command of this mission by the emperor himself on account of his "wicked, awesome, late 70's facial hair" and his outstandingly callous attitude when it comes to mind controlling teenage girls. A real go getter his deepest wish is to become a general in the next ten years.

250px-Wedge-helmetless.jpg

Wedge Antilles
Job: Bigg's bitch, survivor of Battle of Yavin.

Wedge feels he is being held back in the Imperial chain of command by a strange, almost alien set of feelings known as compassion, caring, and respect for his fellow man. Nonetheless he can kill rebel sympathizers like the best of them and is trying his hardest to fit in with the new regime.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
Xenogears of Bore on

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Part One: Let's Approach From the [strike] East [/strike] South!

BONUS: Part One of my two part subseries: The Only Reason to Ever Play FF VI PSX!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viFJ0tdwuS8

ffvi15042011232235.jpg

ffvi15042011232921.jpg

ffvi15042011232938.jpg
    Not shown: A certain jaundiced clown in the lower right corner...

ffvi15042011233000.jpg
    Wouldn't be much of a game if they didn't...

ffvi15042011233024.jpg

biggs.jpg

Hard to believe an esper's been found there a thousand years after the War of the Magi...

Bah! Probably just another wild goose chase!

wedge.jpg

I don't know. They wouldn't have let us use her unless they were confident that the information was good.

biggs.jpg

Ah, yes...our witch. I hear she fried fifty of our Magitek armored soldiers in three minutes... Kinda makes your skin crawl, don't it?

wedge.jpg

Relax. With that thing on her head, she's a mindless puppet. The girl won't even breathe unless we tell her to.

ffvi15042011233126.jpg
    This will be funny in an update or two...

CREDIT ROLL:

ffvi15042011233158.jpg
    Kitase's best work...by far.

ffvi15042011233217.jpg
    Yes, that Nomura. Promoted from monster designs in FF V he mainly did...monster designs in this game too! I believe he also designed Shadow and a few other characters. Shadow does feel fairly Nomuraesque.

ffvi15042011233226.jpg
    He did a really fantastic job on this. Sure, it is formal and a bit stuffy, but very artfully done.

ffvi15042011233236.jpg
    Responsible for all the wafer thin blonde men and women in the offical art.

ffvi15042011233347.jpg
    Welcome to Narshe, Steampunk capital of the north. Population, around thirty or so. Days since last imperial incursion, 278.

ffvi15042011233355.jpg
    Clearly Wedge is a powergamer who knows the key to true broken strength in this game is to delay fighting until the end of the game!

ffvi15042011233403.jpg

First thing's first, let's change some of the settings and give a brief overview of the menu. Items are the various potions and pieces of equipment you pick up, along with a seperate menu for key items. Abilities come in two flavors, Magic which is learned and class inherent abilities which are not. ????? has some magic right now but Magitek is free...so why bother. Equip is for weapons, armor...but we have giant stompy mechs right now so who gives a damn. Relics are for special accessories that either boost stats or give some other ability to your characters...but we don't have any. Status is for experience points and other numbers. Formation is actually useful; people in the back row take half damage but deal half damage with most weapons...but not most skills or any magic...so most characters will end up in the back row! Config is...where we are headed next and Quicksave gives you a one time save from anywhere so you can shut your GBA off...and is of almost no use to me because I'm using a Gameboy Player.

ffvi15042011233424.jpg

Config Menu Battle Mode: Active is for winners, Wait is for babies as this game is easy enough! Battle Speed and Messages: 1 is fastest, 6 is slowest. Slower=easier...though it can be hard to capture images on the higher speeds as you'll soon see. Command Settings: I can never tell the difference so I leave it on Standard. ATB Gauge On. Reequip: I prefer optimize, but sometimes that can be annoying. Cursor Position: Remember puts the cursor where you last had it, Reset puts it back at the top on Attack. Auto Dash: Gives you the sprint shoes without having the sprint shoes and quad speed if you have it on with the relic equipped. I like speed so its on, but it can be annoying sometimes.

ffvi15042011233450.jpg

Second page is much smaller. Magic Order: I like Attack, Healing, Effect but having healing on top would be smart if you intend to heal often with spells. Window Pattern, Font Color, Window Colors allow you to adjust it, but I like the blue and white quite a bit. Bestiary is a guide of all the monsters you have fought and is generally very handy.

Advance a few steps and...

ffvi15042011233856.jpg

Our first forced encounter of the game!

ffvi15042011233904.jpg

The white bar gradually charges and when it turns yellow a little menu pops up...

ffvi15042011233918.jpg
    and if you select Magitek

ffvi15042011233907.jpg
    Biggs and Wedge get these options. Think of them as slightly better than average single target versions of the elemental spells. One fire beam each is more than enough to kill any of these mooks four times over.

ffvi15042011233938.jpg
    If you try taking the first right you'll get another forced encounter. More of the same for this and the next two encounters sadly.

ffvi15042011234036.jpg

This Silver Lobo was beamed to the mothership by ????? groovy Banisher attack.

ffvi15042011234054.jpg

????? Magitek skill list. No wonder Biggs and Wedge brought her along. Bio Blast poisons, Confuser...confuses (gives the enemy a chance to attack himself/his allies) Banisher has a chance to remove non boss enemies from the field and Magitek Missile does heavy physical damage.

ffvi15042011234126.jpg

Finally something new to talk about. Sometimes the enemy surrounds you like so.

ffvi15042011234131.jpg

Surrounded: You are treated as if you were in the front row for attack and damage purposes. You cannot run away until one side of the battle field is cleared of enemies. The party is so much stronger in their stompy death suits that this hardly matters.

ffvi15042011234228.jpg
    Who said that.

ffvi15042011234235.jpg
    Guards with awesome fun size wooly mammoths...who still die in one hit.

ffvi15042011234338.jpg

Now entering the mines.

wedge.jpg

According to our source, they unearthed the frozen esper in a new mine
    shaft they were digging. This must be it.

ffvi15042011234459.jpg

Our first random encounter of the game! Random encounters are based on the number of steps you take; the more steps you take, the more likely an encounter is. Rats...why is it always rats?

ffvi15042011234539.jpg

Our first save point: Comes with a whole (but optinal) speech about saving. Standard FF stuff here, use a tent, save the game, can save anywhere on the world map. The only particular point of note is that if you die, you lose any progress you made or items obtained but keep your experience and level.

ffvi15042011234650.jpg

Stompy Robot Powers, Go!

ffvi15042011234703.jpg

Who said that?

ffvi15042011234704.jpg

Oh, the pallet swap guard.

ffvi15042011234707.jpg

and queue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYLvj5WrKAQ

ffvi15042011234712.jpg

Ymir: HP: 1600 MP: 1000 LVL: 6 Steal: Nothing Drop: Hi-Potion Immune To: --- Weak Against: --- Absorbs: --- (Shell absorbs Lightning)

Biggs basically tells you the score: Attack the head. Heal when the head retreats. If you attack the shell, it will Electrocute you for moderate damage. ??????? doesn't give a damn though and

ffvi15042011234800.jpg
    ffvi15042011234807.jpg
    ffvi15042011234855.jpg

Just wait (if you select Active you can wait with your command selected but not confirmed, hit a when the head pops back!) a few more beams and missiles and...

ffvi15042011234914.jpg
    ffvi15042011234917.jpg
    ffvi15042011234920.jpg
    ffvi15042011234926.jpg
    FF Bosses generally drop loot but never drop experience.

ffvi15042011234947.jpg
    Signs point to maybe...

ffvi15042011235001.jpg
    ffvi15042011235003.jpg
    ffvi15042011235010.jpg
    ffvi15042011235012.jpg

ffvi15042011235019.jpg
    ffvi15042011235023.jpg
    No, not more Rogue Squadron Books...anything but that!

ffvi15042011235027.jpg

biggs.jpg
    Wedge,where are you? H-hey! What's going on!?

ffvi15042011235040.jpg
    ffvi15042011235048.jpg
    Spooky...Fade to Black?

ffvi15042011235101.jpg
    Nope, wake up in a bed some time later.

ffvi15042011235114.jpg
    ffvi15042011235121.jpg
    ffvi15042011235130.jpg

Slave Crown: Possible side effects include: Loss of bodily and mental functions, headaches, susception to evil plans.

ffvi15042011235133.jpg
    ffvi15042011235137.jpg
    ffvi15042011235139.jpg

ffvi15042011235149.jpg

ffvi15042011235158.jpg
    Six letters: Powerful enough to stop anything that moves.

NEXT TIME: RTTHS

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hot

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gau Mog Gogo Umaru. Main party, go.

Topia on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is on the Wii VC in PAL land, called FF3 for some silly reason. Im playing through it right now, better than DQV though? I've only played the DS version so maybe it's quite different to it's original SNES build.

I remember your first attempt at LPing FFVI. Didn't you get jailed shortly after? Sidetracked indeed.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    This is on the Wii VC in PAL land, called FF3 for some silly reason. Im playing through it right now, better than DQV though? I've only played the DS version so maybe it's quite different to it's original SNES build.

I remember your first attempt at LPing FFVI. Didn't you get jailed shortly after? Sidetracked indeed.

I'm glad you brought it up, well, the part about the versions, so I can do a small informative piece.

VERSION BY VERSION LOOK AT FINAL FANTASY VI!

1. Final Fantasy III (US SNES, PAL Wii VC, soon to be US Wii VC)

Q. Why is it called FF III if it is really FF VI?

A. Final Fantasy I took a very long time to come out in the US, and despite being a decent success there wasn't really time before the SNES came out to translate the much more complicated FF II or FF III. Square was working on FF IV for the SNES launch period, so Nintendo decided to publish that game as FF II in the US. A few years later Nintendo Power announced that Square was considering bringing FF V over as FF III, but since they were hard at work on FF VI at that time and thought that FF V was too complicated for us Americans they decided to skip that release and go on to the more mainstream FF VI, which they released over here in 1994 as FF III.

Q. What does this version feature?

A. 90% of the glitches from the original FF VI SFC release (and a couple of fresh ones) made it into the initial US release. Of particular note is that the Evade stat is ignored, using the M. Evade for both physical and magical evasion, The flag to prevent bosses from being banished or doomed to death gets turned off when vanish is used, and the first version of the US release had the save killing but absolutely hilariously fun to use Relm Sketch Glitch. This version also has the uncensored Celes torture scene and the rather good Woosley translation, and is usually regarded as the best sounding version.

The VC version uses a later revision of the FF III cart, so the Relm Sketch glitch isn't in there.

2. Final Fantasy VI Anthology Version (PSX: EUR, USA, JPN)

A. A slight retranslation of some censored items (Pubs are back to being pubs, a boss says die instead of go, some of the spell names changed. There are also two FMVs that aren't too shabby. That is the end of the good. Load times, poor sound, load times, washed out colors, load times, infrequent save glitches, and load times are just some of the problems.

This version has been announced for a future PSN release. It's the worst version of a great game, but if you only have a PS3/PSP and want to play it...you should still get a Wii or GBA.

3. Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA: JPN, USA, EUR)

A. A new translation, a new dungeon, 4 new summons, all of the bugs fixed, some new spells, no loads. Yes, they censored the Celes scene. Yes, the font is different. Yes, the music isn't quite as good even though the opera sounds more like a person singing. This is my favorite version despite the music.

It can be kind of hard to find these days for a reasonable price though.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really need to finish VI. Started it for the first time a few weeks ago, but got to the
    World of Ruin where you have to rescue the kid in the burning house and died from fighting chest monsters for too long.

Seems like a good time to pick it back up.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After years of saying " Yeah, I will have to play this someday ", I finally got it from the Virtual Console yesterday.

I only just made it to South Figaro before I had to stop playing but I can tell I'm going to enjoy this. I could also listen to the Terra theme for hours.

<3 Nobuo Uematsu.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So the first contest technically has a winner, but I'll give a bonus nod to the first person who brings me the portrait sprites at the proper size.

50px-Terra_Branford_menu.png

SOMETHING LIKE THAT, Hint Hint. Oh, and host them yourselves if you would.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Best Final Fantasy.

It was also the first one I really played through (and rented multiple times until I got my own) and actually beat.

I still have my SNES cart around here somewhere, last I recall I was working on making everyone level 99 with their best stats maxed.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Next Post is going to be tonight, and if you know the game at all, you know it is going to be short.

The next contest is going up right now.

FOR THE RIGHT TO NAME THE SECOND CHARACTER: Whomever links me the best possible song to represent this character gets to name him. Time limit: 8 Hours, so the deadline is midnight eastern time.

Submit it via PM if you will.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FF6 is one of the few I've never played and I regret it. Definitely following this.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I managed to get to (MID-GAME SPOILERS!):
    World of Ruin.

And stopped because there wasn't enough fucking focus on the best character.

setzer4.jpg

Yeah that's right.

I kid Xenogears I will look forward to this immensely. You have your work cut out for you though - I'm pretty sure FF7 nearly killed Adus, but hopefully you'll have an easier time with 6.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ooo nice. Looking forward to seeing all these. Love this game

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »
    World of Ruin.

setzer4.jpg

Yeah that's right.

I kid Xenogears I will look forward to this immensely. You have your work cut out for you though - I'm pretty sure FF7 nearly killed Adus, but hopefully you'll have an easier time with 6.

I know, they really should have placed more importance on the value of the fortune city place holder image.
    Pissed me off too.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    see317 wrote: »
    World of Ruin.

setzer4.jpg

Yeah that's right.

I know, they really should have placed more importance on the value of the fortune city place holder image.
    Pissed me off too.

I don't know about that...
    He's one of three characters you need to beat the game after all and his little story arc is pretty neat.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm kind of surprised you didn't mention the lack of a non-combat text speed as one of FFVI Advance's downsides.

It was damn near a game-breaker for me and a very large reason why I have never finished this version.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PART TWO: REAL TIME STEALING

ffvi16042011215550.jpg
    Go Planet!

ffvi16042011215557.jpg

ffvi16042011215600.jpg

Maincharactertonium

ffvi16042011215613.jpg

Town guards, out for blood.

164868265.jpg

Open this door right now, and hand over that girl! She's an agent of the Empire!

terrabranfordmenu.png

Empire...? Magitek armor...?

Arvis_front.PNG

There's no time to explain! You need to get out of here! These fools aren't going to listen to reason. This way! Quickly!

But before that...

ffvi16042011215641.jpg

Always time to check what time it is.

ffvi16042011215644.jpg

Ka-ching! Note that almost every grandfather clock in this game has one of these excellent items in it.

ffvi16042011215655.jpg

Make your way out of town through the mines! I'll try to buy you some time!

ffvi16042011215719.jpg

Keep going west and you'll head into the mines.

ffvi16042011215942.jpg

This is our equipment for our non Stompy Mech Mysterious Imperial Magic User. It pretty much sucks.

ffvi16042011215740.jpg

Spritzers die in two hits from your sword or one hit from the fire spell. Yes, I also miss the Mr. Stompy Mech. He will be missed.

ffvi16042011215824.jpg

Speaking of magic here are Gaia's choices. Hit the L button to select multiple targets. Using the spell that way for healing or damage lowers the total amount done but spreads it among all targets. Only elemental spells and the cure line can be selected this way.

ffvi16042011215827.jpg

Chant, chant, chant.

ffvi16042011215829.jpg

and the spell goes off! (I missed the sweet red flash.) They died. Using Gaia's fire magic against all targets is a good choice for her throughout the early game. It allows you to put her in the back row for the defense boost while giving you a solid multi damage attack.

ffvi16042011215846.jpg

Another new battle scenario, the back attack. It switches your rows and fills the enemies ATB gauge, but usually isn't too fatal. I just magicked them as usual.

ffvi16042011215911.jpg

See these treasure chests? I'm NOT going to get them now. You'll see why later.

ffvi16042011215950.jpg

ffvi16042011215954.jpg

Rut-roh.

ffvi16042011215957.jpg

I'm sure we can work something ooooooooooooooout!

ffvi16042011220001.jpg

Fade to [strike] Black [/strike] Sepia tone???

ffvi16042011220006.jpg

Not yet.

ffvi16042011220009.jpg

Closer.

ffvi16042011220011.jpg

There we go!

ffvi16042011220022.jpg

I don't like where this is going.

ffvi16042011220024.jpg

Oh, just a slave crown.

ffvi16042011220047.jpg

Timed life fire training excerise.

ffvi16042011220049.jpg

Emphasis on the fire.

ffvi16042011220055.jpg

He has a stompy mech as well.

ffvi16042011220056.jpg

and then he laughs about it, yep, probably a villain.

ffvi16042011220115.jpg

SNES Steampunk Triumph of the Will.
    (All of these people on the platform are important)

ffvi16042011220119.jpg

Heil Geshtal!

ffvi16042011220119.jpg

Zeig Zeon!

ffvi16042011220137.jpg

Yep, these are the bad guys. Steampunk Magic Nazis in stompy mechs.

ffvi16042011220142.jpg

Definitely not those rag tag rebels and other associated heroic adventurer types!

ffvi16042011220145.jpg

and now the Nazi salutes start.

Meanwhile back at the Old Man's house...

ffvi16042011220208.jpg

Back door bangs open, revealing...a torso!

ffvi16042011220215.jpg

Here comes a NEW CHALLENGER!

ffvi16042011220220.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNmYWYFZQg

CHALLENGE (EXTENDED): PM me the best piece of music you can find for the right to name this fellow. I have one strong entry, but I want to see if I can get some more, you have until Noon Eastern on Sunday.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If only I had the forsight to leave those chests closed! Not that this game is so hard that you need every special item you can get. Well so far atleast.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pissed me off too.

It was Setzer, smart-ass. :P

Dunxco on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn, i fucking love this game. I have since stopped buying any turn-based RPGs, but FFVI will always hold a special place in my heart. Even though i love FFIV's Celtic Moon soundtrack remix oh so much.

Xenogears, i hope you get time to go
    monster hunting with Gau on the Veldt.

Was FFVI advance the definitive version? It's certainly the one i remember played the best. That PSX port had loading times that probably quadrupled (possibly exaggerated, though not by much) the play time, but not in a good way.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Is FF VI Advance the definitive version? Depends on who you ask. I would say yes: The bugfixes, extra content, and slightly fresher translation outweigh the slight loss of sound quality.

My personal version order goes something like this:

1. FF VI Advance
    2. FF III (Wii VC)
    3. FF III (SNES)
    4. FF VI (PSX)

It's not clear cut like FF V Advance is. That game is clearly the best version of that game ever made.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pissed me off too.

It was Setzer, smart-ass. :P

Yeah, but where would the fun in that be?

see317 on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    This is will be the first LP thread I've followed for a very long time. And the format is wonderful. Carry on, Xeno - this is very entertaining.

I love this game SO much.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    ZuldaneZuldane Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Best [strike]Final Fantasy[/strike] game ever. Will definitely be watching this thread

Zuldane on
    Zuldane.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SECOND CONTEST RESULTS:

THIRD RUNNER UP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Would have one if this was a name Robo contest. Like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ8xce9HtD8

SECOND RUNNER UP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bctEw1ci4Jk

Nice and Brassy Like the Indiana Jones Theme this one is apeing.

FIRST RUNNER UP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmdgO6R74pU

Fantastic Eight Bit version.

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYAsDQuYHIM

Gave the competition the (Bum) Rush.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Go me, I actually remembered to check and see if this thread was up today.

Gaia? Shoulda called her Tina...

Schide on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've always meant to play this and almost started last year then felt bad about the prospect of using a ROM so I sit and wait and occasionally look around on ebay (even though I don't trust gameboy games from ebay anymore after my Chinese Zelda ROM purchase) to find it.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's out on Wii VC in Europe and Japan (and ESRB rated for the US) and is coming to the US PSN sometime in the near future.

Not quite the same as the GBA version but then again the legit copies of that game go for big bucks these days.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Even though the contest is over, I feel I need to post this:

Jeremy Soule tribute to Nobue Uematsu

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Part III is incoming...

Either around midnight or tomorrow before noon God bless Patriots Day.

I'll start this early though:

FOR THE RIGHT TO NAME THE THIRD CHARACTER OF THE GAME:

PM me a pick up line that this man would use:

edgarronifigaromenu.png

Best line wins. Open until wednesday's update.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PART THREE: REAL TIME STEALING II: TIDE OF MOOGLES.

ffvi17042011214519.jpg

Got to think of a clever secret agent name so people can't track me down and hurt my friends and family. I'll go with Locke, yeah, that's the ticket! The silent e will fool everybody!

ffvi17042011214526o.jpg

Just like grave robbers prefer the term "Archaeologists."

Arvis_front.PNG

Ha! Semantic nonsense!

lockecolemenu.png

There's a huge difference!
    Anyway, is there something you need me to do?

Arvis_front.PNG

There is indeed. ...I met the girl.

lockecolemenu.png

(Picking up girls at your age? The text box says Old Man not Old Pervert!) ...!? You don't mean...?

Arvis_front.PNG

The city guard is pursuing her as we speak. This city has the strength to stand up to the Empire, but it won't use it. The people are just too stubbornly independent to join an underground resistance group like the Returners. I tried to explain that the Empire was controlling the girl, but they wouldn't even listen...

lockecolemenu.png

All right... So, you want me to get her out of Narshe?

Arvis_front.PNG

That would be the idea. Make your way to Figaro for the time being...

ffvi17042011214541.jpg

Locke uses his power of NPCdom to instantly warp to Terra's location. No walking montage, no random encounters, just poof!

ffvi17042011214644.jpg

SHAZAM!

ffvi17042011214647.jpg

ffvi17042011214654.jpg

Like one of those choose your own adventure books down here!

ffvi17042011214656.jpg

One town guard, how bad can that be?

ffvi17042011214700.jpg

You and what army?

ffvi17042011214703.jpg

Oh, that army...

ffvi17042011214705.jpg

of furries!!!

lockecolemenu.png

Wonderful... There's a whole bunch of 'em....

ffvi17042011214712.jpg

Kupo?

ffvi17042011214718.jpg

Versus our army of furries!

ffvi17042011214721.jpg

ffvi17042011214724.jpg

KUPO!!!

ffvi17042011214734.jpg

THEY CAN SAY SOMETHING OTHER THAN KUPO!?

ffvi17042011214739.jpg

Yea...no, I can do it faster. Basically you control three parties to fight off the enemy forces. Prevent them from reaching Gaia. To switch parties, hit select.

ffvi17042011214821.jpg

Moogle party one. One of these things is not like the other...

ffvi17042011214844.jpg

Moogle party two...has awesome names.

ffvi17042011214909.jpg

Mog, like the rest of his party, has two commands. Attack and Item. But after you win the fight...

ffvi17042011214925.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGjC0wbUXzk

DANCE: Every fight you win in a new terrain you learn that terrain's dance. It basically works a lot like FF V's Geomancy, except you continue to do one of the four sub commands under that dance until the battle ends, you die or get hit by some other nasty status effect. If you change the terrain on a battlefield before you gain the new dance you don't learn the new one.

ffvi17042011215022.jpg

The Dance Menu, we now have one.

ffvi17042011215026.jpg

From there, it picked one of the four possible effects; Snare.

ffvi17042011215027.jpg

Mog does a little Shimmy-Shake.

ffvi17042011215028.jpg

A hole appears...

ffvi17042011215029.jpg

Gets bigger.... and if it works, the enemy sinks into the ground and off the field of battle. It didn't work this time.

ffvi17042011215209.jpg

For Mog's failure we strip him of his weapons...like so.

ffvi17042011215214.jpg

Curious that this is the only NPC we can deequip...

ffvi17042011214939.jpg

Meanwhile we switch over to Locke's party. His commands are Attack, Steal, and Item.

ffvi17042011214945.jpg

STEAL: The character does an action hero leap over to the target and rifles through their...fur in this case, attempting to get an item. Each enemy holds at most one item, but that item can be from either the common steal list or the rare steal list for that creature, some don't have anything. Stealing is fairly inaccurate, especially early on, but there is an accessory that will greatly increase the odds and another one that changes it to the more useful Mug.

ffvi17042011214946.jpg

Going to see this message a lot.

ffvi17042011215312.jpg

Kupo, Kupo, Kupo! Just you and me, Bossman.

ffvi17042011215320.jpg

This party isn't in good shape...

ffvi17042011215320.jpg

The Guard Leader used his Web, which inflicts Stop Status on one party member. That party member glows pink and cannot take any actions until it wears off or is dispelled, or if the battle ends or dies. It's probably the fourth worst status in the game, be careful.

ffvi17042011215336.jpg

The lobos take one hit as always, but we have a man/woman/furry down!

ffvi17042011215408.jpg

Mugmug is back...but he's all alone now! The bosses Charge move will basically OHKO any of the regular Moogles.

ffvi17042011215410.jpg

Not shown here: "The Party has Fallen." grim message that you won't see very often.

ffvi17042011215415.jpg

Did anyone catch the number of that train?

ffvi17042011215420.jpg

If you hadn't guessed by now, this is a tutorial battle. The boss doesn't move and you'll always be revived with 1hp up by Gaia.

ffvi17042011215531.jpg

This is the same thing happening to Locke's party after he got stopped on the first turn. Nasty stuff.

ffvi17042011215557.jpg

Mog's party don't give a damn and starts the fight with a formaiton dance.

ffvi17042011215609.jpg

That's what Snare looks like when it works.

ffvi17042011215623.jpg

Mog's Plan for stopping the Boss Man?

ffvi17042011215627.jpg

Cave In: AKA I threw a rock(s) at him!

ffvi17042011215629.jpg

It does a decent chunk of damage to him.

ffvi17042011215640.jpg

Next turn, Mog Snares him for the win. This guy is strange for a boss as he gives exp and is weak to Snare, but the boss music is playing all right.

ffvi17042011215703.jpg

Pretty sure we won't be seeing them again.

ffvi17042011215707.jpg

What sort of treasure is he looking for? :winky: o_O

ffvi17042011215711.jpg
    ffvi17042011215716.jpg

ffvi17042011215724.jpg

ffvi17042011215728.jpg
    Not pictured: Open up that secret passge! :x

ffvi17042011215737.jpg

terrabranfordmenu.png

You... saved me?

lockecolemenu.png

Save your thanks for the moogles!

terrabranfordmenu.png

Ugh... I can't remember a thing... It's like my mind's trapped in a fog...

lockecolemenu.png

You lost your memory!?

terrabranfordmenu.png

A man said it would eventually come back...eventually...

lockecolemenu.png

So, you've got amnesia. Don't worry! I won't leave your side until until your memory returns!

terrabranfordmenu.png

...?
    lockecolemenu.png

I'm not gonna up and abandon someone just because they lost their memory! I'll keep you safe! I promise!

ffvi17042011215826.jpg

The confused girl and the treasure hunter make their way to the edges of Narshe.

ffvi17042011215836.jpg
    ffvi17042011215839.jpg
    ffvi17042011215842.jpg

This place is dead useful if you're new to the game, but since I'm going to personally note every new mechanic and such I won't log everything these guys tell us.

ffvi17042011215914.jpg

Yellow Pots like the one Locke is facing here are good sources of free items.

ffvi17042011215917.jpg

Such as this Ether. Note the guy below us will give the same Save Point talk that stepping on a Save Point for the first time will.

ffvi17042011215923.jpg
    Surrrrre.

ffvi17042011215926.jpg

Patent Pending, 1994 Square. Sadly, it was just a Silver Lobo. I did miss taking my first successful steal screenshot though. Monsters-in-a-Box are usually unique and give you something cool for fighting them, so its usually worth the risk. The next two rooms have a Sleeping Bag (a one man tent) and a Potion in them, along with a bunch of informative old men.

ffvi17042011220003.jpg

This bucket Locke is standing in front of is the only other thing of note in here as it [strike] Leads to the Day of Lavos, 1999[/strike] has water from a nearby healing spring in it. One sip and the screen flashes blue, restoring all HP/MP. Very nice.

ffvi17042011220055.jpg

The world map. Yep, those Stompy Mechs in part one sure did approach from the east. The minimap for this game is really nice and simple, the white dots are cities and other such landmarks. Lucky for us Figaro is the only such landmark on this land mass.

ffvi17042011220116.jpg

Oh no the Soviets struck first! Oh wait its the random battle flash. Our first world map encounter!

ffvi17042011220120.jpg

Against two rabbits and a bird. Note the sweet forest background.

ffvi17042011220153.jpg

Gaia using Magic, a lost art from a thousand years ago. Locke has no reaction. Keep that in mind.

ffvi17042011220202.jpg

Figaro is a desert kingdom and we're getting close.

ffvi17042011220300.jpg

Oh no it's been flattened, curse you Mode 7!

ffvi17042011220305.jpg

Just in case you weren't sure.

ffvi17042011220308.jpg
    ffvi17042011220310.jpg

ffvi17042011220321.jpg

No escort.

ffvi17042011220326.jpg

No Royal Guards outside the throne room, honestly, what kind of idiot runs this place???

ffvi17042011220333.jpg

This kind of idiot apparently.

ffvi17042011220338.jpg

With a donkey, you say?

ffvi17042011220341.jpg

Nice...hair. Yeah, that's it...hair.

ffvi17042011220344.jpg

queue dramatic spin-around...

ffvi17042011220347.jpg

Wait for it...

ffvi17042011220351.jpg

Spin plus finger waggle, what a remarkable appeal!

ffvi17042011220356.jpg

Imperial ALLY?

ffvi17042011220400.jpg

NEXT TIME: THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO I

CONTEST NUMBER THREE: Send me via PM a pickup line that this "king" would use. The best entry by Tuesday, 10pm eastern gets to name this fellow. I've already got some pretty decent ones, but the more the merrier!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Can you make the text size in your updates bigger? The text size relative to the image size is bothering me and also my eyes suck.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Schide wrote: »
    Can you make the text size in your updates bigger? The text size relative to the image size is bothering me and also my eyes suck.

how about that?

OR WOULD YOU PREFER THIS????

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes that is great, thank you.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh man we have some good enteries so far.

Tonight at midnight is the deadline for the best pickup line by the king of Figaro.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's funny to see that old Squaresoft logo in the opening credits.

One day, I'll play all the FFs again in chronological order and reliver the glory.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played VI last year for the first time. It's an amazing game through and through. Enjoying this LP!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just restarted this silliness again today. I've only beat it like four times.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I just restarted this silliness again today. I've only beat it like four times.

I don't want to count*, but I do know that not only will I finish this LP but I'll probably start the SNES version whenever that comes out on VC.

*Late 20's to mid 30's easily.

Contest is over, short post tomorrow with another character contest, slightly longer one with another character contest after that, then one over the weekend with no contest whatsoever.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Despite having recently started a new game of FFVI, I still enjoy your updates.

Jishian on