As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] - Jets spotted (new trailer in the op)

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    And still no invite for me, how nice of them.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bf sale on origin.... everything is like 5 bucks.

Final reacquired bf2142....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Do people even still play 2142?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Very impressed with what's in the alpha. Is there an NDA?

Edit: Nevermind there is.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote:

They hate us Satsumomo. We played their stupid game too much :P

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The only thing I do not like about the game atm is that the outside section looks like a giant spotlight is shining on a sea of plastic.

IT IS SOOOOOO BRIGHT!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Not seeing that, looks just bright enough to me.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote:
    Satsumomo wrote:

They hate us Satsumomo. We played their stupid game too much :P

I think we should have a group cry :(

• Options
    I'm playing on someone else's account, but still!

Worst bug: HUD disappears, no way to bring it back except quitting the game.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    The only thing I do not like about the game atm is that the outside section looks like a giant spotlight is shining on a sea of plastic.

IT IS SOOOOOO BRIGHT!

NEXT GEN!!!!

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    This is all just getting me more and more excited for a potential 2143. That's going a painful wait.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote:
    I'm playing on someone else's account, but still!

Worst bug: HUD disappears, no way to bring it back except quitting the game.

Youre out of the cry circle.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Aiserou wrote:
    This is all just getting me more and more excited for a potential 2143. That's going a painful wait.
    And probably very very long. I feel your pain.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Uhmm... how do we know if an alpha invite is legit? I don't remember signing up for one (I may have) but I did play quite a bit of BC2.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

IT IS SOOOOOO BRIGHT!

NEXT GEN!!!!
    Not enough brown.

Also, I'm glad its just not me seeing that.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    Uhmm... how do we know if an alpha invite is legit? I don't remember signing up for one (I may have) but I did play quite a bit of BC2.

They're just picking EA master accounts at random, you didn't need to sign up.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Do people even still play 2142?

Yes, theres still quite a few servers and people on them.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options

They're just picking EA master accounts at random, you didn't need to sign up.

Yeah, the email looked pretty well made, so I gave it a shot....:D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The best part about this alpha for me is how well the web page server browser system works. In the last six years DICE hasn't managed to make a well performing and user friendly in game server browser, and than they go and do it with a fucking web page. Only improvement they need to make is to let you customize your kit from the web page.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

IT IS SOOOOOO BRIGHT!

NEXT GEN!!!!

From the videos I've watched, it seems like the dark contrast in shadowy areas would be the bigger issue - any Alpha bros able to confirm this?

For example, the pergola in the park seems like a black hole as you approach it, and it didn't look like your eyes really adjust once underneath its shade.

• Options
    Ok I take it back.

Worst bug that won't fucking go away is squad spawning disabled bug.

• Options
    CarbonFire wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

IT IS SOOOOOO BRIGHT!

NEXT GEN!!!!

From the videos I've watched, it seems like the dark contrast in shadowy areas would be the bigger issue - any Alpha bros able to confirm this?

For example, the pergola in the park seems like a black hole as you approach it, and it didn't look like your eyes really adjust once underneath its shade.

Which video is this?

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    Hmm, can't recall a specific one sorry, more a general observation.

Reminds me of the 'jungle' sections of some BC2 maps, like dense foliage in Valparaiso, but more pronounced. Kinda like it, just hope it's not too excessive.

• Options
    hmm, I put my Steam BC2 code in Origin, and I got to choose between the regular and digital deluxe editions... even though I only paid for the former...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Damn, this game is pretty much unplayable for me. And the worst part is the crashes are totally random, so I can't really fill out a bug report or anything.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I feel like Solid fucking Snake. I just crawled through bushes to get close enough to a disabled LAV to throw three C4 charges onto it. Un-prone, sprint away, dive to prone while slamming the clacker. *BOOM* 540 points.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Can you talk more about the disabled vehicle stuff? Is the vehicle health regen as worrisome as people originally thought?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    What really bugs me is when the HUD and interface disappears, all I'm left with is exiting the game.

Also, walls have certain health to them, because this wall suddenly disappeared:

http://i.imgur.com/50hvo.jpg

Re: Vehicles.

Well if you've got a dedicated engineer, it's REALLY hard to take it down. Health regen takes a long time to kick in, but it definitely makes it much harder to take down. Don't know if it should be there.
    When the tank is disabled it can't move, and it starts losing health, until it blows up. However, right now you can make some pretty amazing craters in the game, so shooting at the LAV in it's tires will most likely get it stuck.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    I like the idea of flattening tires. And just the idea in general that a vehicle can be disabled but not totally blown up.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    That is badass and seems like it might be a little too useful against vehicles.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote:
    Can you talk more about the disabled vehicle stuff? Is the vehicle health regen as worrisome as people originally thought?

A vehicle becomes "disabled" around 50% health. What happens is you drop down to about 10% of your standard mobility, but you can still use all of your guns. It's more of a way to prevent something from getting away with 2% health and coming back with 50 engineers behind it.

Vehicle regen is a non-issue. I actually have not even experienced it happening. It may be similar to your own health regeneration, in that if you are being suppressed (AKA fuckers are shooting at you) your health does not begin to regenerate. The only way in these scenarios to gain health back (besides running away) is to have a Medic or Engineer heal you/the vehicle.

The LAV is on a very, very short respawn timer. I'd say from within 15 to 30 seconds of the vehicle being completely destroyed, a new one pops up.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Maybe it will make dudes think twice about going for roadkills when their 4 wheeler flips over :)

• Options
    So I just had a game where I took the LAV into low Earth orbit by hitting a rock at full speed.

• Options
    Shooting people with my 1911 has, on more than one occasion, caused them to be thrown across the entire map at likely supersonic speed.

Speaking of which, since jets are in the game, will sonic booms be incorporated? It would be sick as fuck.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    I would like to point out that the game runs a lot better than BC2 for me.

Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Nvidia GTX 460 768mb
    4GB DDR2

• Options
    rook268rook268 Registered User regular
    Anyone else here in the alpha? Add me as a friend, EA user is the same as my PA forum name. I'm curious to see how the grouping and voice chat work.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote:
    I would like to point out that the game runs a lot better than BC2 for me.

Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Nvidia GTX 460 768mb
    4GB DDR2

Yeah, my machine tends not to run as hot playing BF3 as it does in BC2.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Awesome Physics for the LAV I experienced earlier today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFc6VGFnsKU

Other thing to notice: Look at how the tree foliage is affected by the LAV, even though the tree is laying on the ground. Downed trees do not fade away, they're very annoying.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    LeevityLeevity Registered User regular
    Hate having to go through a web page to play the game. The game itself is pretty good.

XBL/PSN/Steam: Leevity
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    I'm having installation issues. All the game files appear to be there, but origin doesn't think I have it installed. It's hanging on:

21:44:22 Installing C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial\GDFBinary_en_US.dll ...
    21:44:22 ERROR: Failed to install 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial\GDFBinary_en_US.dll' for install path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial\'

Any ideas?

sig10008eq.png
This discussion has been closed.