As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

school is for pretentious assholes

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SoaL wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I see the year as a collection of tales to go in the book.

The book is my mind.

one day i will read this book

One day I will write that book. Perhaps that day comes before your day of reading.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    man you guys got some beautiful minds

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Every now and then I try to construct the most beautiful face that I can; I have finished with two different 'most beautiful female faces' (one which I definitely prefer over the other), and recently, 'the most beautiful girl-child' face, and 'most handsome male face'.

It made me quite happy, I felt productive.

Using the mind as a canvas is difficult.

I don't think I'd be able to do something like this. I'd try to do it piece by piece and fail, because I'd lose my grasp on pieces that I worked on and then moved away from. I'd try too hard to hold on to those parts, say, the nose, and then just forget them while I was working on the eyes or something.

I'd have to like, let it all pop into my head at once, and just keep trying that until I fell upon the ideal. It'd be fairly random.

Hmm, opposite here. With the exception of the 'beautiful girl face', I would have a difficult time isolating specific features. At best, Handsome Male has a very specific nose and sharper jawline than I generally imagine for a 'protaganist', Beautiful woman has very specific eyes, lashes, nails, and hair.

What I'm saying is that I'd find it difficult to do it piece by piece. Sorry, I was unclear.

What I find interesting, is that if most people were to try and put that face into some physical medium like clay, they wouldn't be able to. They'd have WAY LESS of that face than they thought they did. Do you think you'd be one of those people, or do you think that you have it all?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    @ Zonuagal: not far off, except it isn't done physically like that, though there are 'seeds'.

Beautiful Girl is based off of a Petty Pin-up Girl, that I thought was almost there but not quite. Turns out she would have been perfect younger and with a different nose and smaller lips.

Muse Among Men on
    edited April 2011
    I also love the concept of "seed thoughts."

I love pausing a conversation and looking at how we got where we are from what we were talking about. I love chains. Chains of thoughts. Associative thinking. I love that stuff.

Gah. I'm just dumping my brain into this thread.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I feel like there are some interesting implications to this thought game

Or maybe I have just been watching too much twilight zone

By thought game i mean the most beautiful person

Vann Diras on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also have this weird thing with assonance where sometimes I can't stop myself from following a word or phrase with assonant sounds

people usually don't notice, and when they do they seem to think I'm just being poetic instead of indulging a tic, so it's never too bad

Charles Kinbote on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011

I feel like this is unfair because you can say that about literally any industry ever

movies, art, even books can exist solely to be marketed to the public at large

but then there are things created for people that will appreciate them.

that's why we're able to have video games like Call of Duty, and then video games like Limbo. it depends on your target audience!

inb4 video games as art debate

i find videos like this pretty inspiring, actually. it gives me a great example of shit not to do or expect. things to brace myself for.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited April 2011
    How do you guys think? I'm just going to leave that question there and then go to bed.

My thoughts are pretty simple, most of the time it's either literal text on paper in my head, or me speaking to myself, but in a voice that isn't my own. It's usually the second one only when other people are going to be hearing or reading the thought. Like for this, I had to "hear" it in my head before I wrote it. Same for when I say things. I have to hear how it sounds first.

but if I'm just thinking to myself, most of the time, it's just text on paper.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TheStig wrote: »
    meanprof.gif

man I wish he taught my classes
    here's a good thing about writing i saw on tumblr
    This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous. Listen to what is happening. The writing is getting boring. The sound of it drones. It’s like a stuck record. The ear demands some variety. Now listen. I vary the sentence length, and I create music. Music. The writing sings. It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony. I use short sentences. And I use sentences of medium length. And sometimes, when I am certain the reader is rested, I will engage him with a sentence of considerable length, a sentence that burns with energy and builds with all the impetus of a crescendo, the roll of the drums, the crash of the cymbals–sounds that say listen to this, it is important.

Gary Provost

whoa

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited April 2011
    To do another "Jumping off point" post before I go to sleep last one I promise:

A good percentage of interesting things begin with the phrase, "I have this thing..."

just an observation

Scrumtrulescent on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also have this weird thing with assonance where sometimes I can't stop myself from following a word or phrase with assonant sounds

people usually don't notice, and when they do they seem to think I'm just being poetic instead of indulging a tic, so it's never too bad

"it all started after I read HOW TO RAP: THE ART AND SCIENCE OF THE HIP-HOP MC..."

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Every now and then I try to construct the most beautiful face that I can; I have finished with two different 'most beautiful female faces' (one which I definitely prefer over the other), and recently, 'the most beautiful girl-child' face, and 'most handsome male face'.

It made me quite happy, I felt productive.

Using the mind as a canvas is difficult.

I don't think I'd be able to do something like this. I'd try to do it piece by piece and fail, because I'd lose my grasp on pieces that I worked on and then moved away from. I'd try too hard to hold on to those parts, say, the nose, and then just forget them while I was working on the eyes or something.

I'd have to like, let it all pop into my head at once, and just keep trying that until I fell upon the ideal. It'd be fairly random.

Hmm, opposite here. With the exception of the 'beautiful girl face', I would have a difficult time isolating specific features. At best, Handsome Male has a very specific nose and sharper jawline than I generally imagine for a 'protaganist', Beautiful woman has very specific eyes, lashes, nails, and hair.

What I'm saying is that I'd find it difficult to do it piece by piece. Sorry, I was unclear.

What I find interesting, is that if most people were to try and put that face into some physical medium like clay, they wouldn't be able to. They'd have WAY LESS of that face than they thought they did. Do you think you'd be one of those people, or do you think that you have it all?

Some faces I have gotten quite close (drawing, that is); if I really spent time I could render some of these faces. Being that Beautiful Girl has a pre-existing base, it shouldn't be impossible to draw her adequately enough that it looks like her, if not beautiful enough. 'Leader Boy' and 'Young Blonde Boy' I could probably draw; Leader Boy would take effort but I think I've drawn Young Blonde Boy a few times. I can Draw Beautiful Woman's eyes, hair and lips, but I've never been satisfied with any jawline or nose that I've drawn. Fairly sure I've completed some competent stabs at her though, I was just disappointed I couldn't render her as beautifully as I imagined her. Haven't even tried drawing Handsome Man since I finished conjuring that face a few days ago.

Muse Among Men on
    edited April 2011
    A reading anecdote

When reading something I always have a very specific voice for how I hear it in my head. I have had this same voice since I was a kid. I can't reproduce the voice myself. It isn't mine.

However the traces of me are there. How things are inflected etc align with my sense of humor/drama, but pronounced perfectly. I like to imagine it is the voice of better-me.

Vann Diras on
    edited April 2011
    QUIRK!

quirk is a really good word

quirk quirk quirk

it's a work that ends itself. but it's not compact like the other words that i like. PACT! there's a nice compact word that ends itself and is just solid. it's like a brick. it makes me think of something short and stout and powerful and STOUT that's another good one.

okay

I'm done now

Scrumtrulescent on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How do you guys think? I'm just going to leave that question there and then go to bed.

My thoughts are pretty simple, most of the time it's either literal text on paper in my head, or me speaking to myself, but in a voice that isn't my own. It's usually the second one only when other people are going to be hearing or reading the thought. Like for this, I had to "hear" it in my head before I wrote it. Same for when I say things. I have to hear how it sounds first.

are you for real? you think in printed text?

I think almost entirely in internal monologue with occasional images, which up till now I assumed most people did.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited April 2011
    SoaL wrote: »

"it all started after I read HOW TO RAP: THE ART AND SCIENCE OF THE HIP-HOP MC..."

this is actually why I got good flow 8)

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011
    Tossrock wrote: »

I think almost entirely in internal monologue with occasional images, which up till now I assumed most people did.

it's not really consistent like that

it's more

I'll see certain words in my head. maybe every third word or every other word. it's just kinda there, in big letters, in my head. the words on the page are the significant ones. words like "and" aren't there, for example.

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited April 2011
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    A reading anecdote

When reading something I always have a very specific voice for how I hear it in my head. I have had this same voice since I was a kid. I can't reproduce the voice myself. It isn't mine.

However the traces of me are there. How things are inflected etc align with my sense of humor/drama, but pronounced perfectly. I like to imagine it is the voice of better-me.

Similar. A lot of voices that I think in, meant to be myself, aren't my own. These voices change; switching to a man's voice isn't uncommon.

Muse Among Men on
    edited April 2011
    Tossrock wrote: »

it's not really consistent like that

it's more

I'll see certain words in my head. maybe every third word or every other word. it's just kinda there, in big letters, in my head. the words on the page are the significant ones. words like "and" aren't there, for example.

Scrum we are remarkably similar. See words in nice big text as I think them.

Vann Diras on
    edited April 2011
    hey guys I have a question

I just bought my first pair of boat shoes, and I can't tell if they're too big for me

they fit really well width-wise, but when I walk, my heel lift out of the back

is that supposed to happen?

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011
    You can place something inside of the sole so they do not slip out.

Muse Among Men on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that depends

how do they feel when you're on the water

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited April 2011
    I got them from Zappos so it's no trouble to send them back for a half-size smaller

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011
    A reading anecdote

Similar. A lot of voices that I think in, meant to be myself, aren't my own. These voices change; switching to a man's voice isn't uncommon.

I identify the voice that I think in as calvin from calvin and hobbes, because that's the voice that I always gave to him when I read his speech bubbles. it isn't exactly a child's voice. it's very weird. Hobbes' voice was just a tad deeper than calvin's, and my thoughts switch to his voice sometimes.

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited April 2011
    A reading anecdote

Mine is always the same. It can be bothersome in the beginning of a presentation when I've thought out this amazing speech but then I start talking and whoops wow my voice is not as good as my internal voice.

Luckily I got that public speaking flow and still rock it

Vann Diras on
    edited April 2011

I just bought my first pair of boat shoes, and I can't tell if they're too big for me

They should probably fit a bit loose, I know my sperry topsiders do. BUt if your heel is actually starting to come out of the back, no. That is too big

Vann Diras on
    edited April 2011

boat shoes are the best

I wear them to school every day (private school)

my first pair were winter sperries though, with fur inside, so they were a bit slipper-like and my foot would slip out but BOY were they comfy

but my current summer/spring pair don't slip out all that much. maybe a little, now that I think about it.

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited April 2011
    Honestly, I don't have a very good sense of what my voice actually sounds like. Either recorded, or what I personally hear.

Weirdest personal voice: Mandy from Grim Adventures. Not even being particularly mean. Just using the voice. No wait, weirder; GRIM. I don't know why, I never watched the show much to begin with.

Muse Among Men on
    edited April 2011
    dudes and dudettes it has been great and awesome and rad but it is sleep time

vann hi5 for being similar thoughtwise

good night SE++

we will do this again

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited April 2011

They should probably fit a bit loose, I know my sperry topsiders do. BUt if your heel is actually starting to come out of the back, no. That is too big

This is the kind that I got!

sounds like they're too big :<

thank you!!

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011
    Good night Scrummy.

I too am heading for bed, good discussion though. Sleep well, everyone.

Muse Among Men on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that gary provost quote is excellent

and everybody needs to read more shakespeare

t shank: how tight do you have your laces?? i gotta cinch mine down otherwise the side of my ankle gets rubbed raw

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited April 2011
    I'm thinking that this point I'll just stay up and work on stuff.

Good night to you lucky sleepers, you

Vann Diras on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How do you guys think?

I tend to do very quick leap-frogs and spider-webs with the thoughts in my head. I guess it is harder to explain but I immediately gauge my primary thought than address all other factors linked to it. This includes imagining people's reactions, planning for those said reactions, as well as visualizing different situations that could spring from said action. I once had a college classmate ask me in all seriousness, "Are you always thinking five steps down the road," to which my response was, "Yeah... You don't?"

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Scrum won't read this but: maybe make it a thread?

Muse Among Men on
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hell yes

my scholarship application went through for university of oregon

$4000 woot

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Scrum won't read this but: maybe make it a thread?

I might be browsing from my phone.

(Yes I will do that tomorrow!)

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    How do you guys think?

I tend to do very quick leap-frogs and spider-webs with the thoughts in my head. I guess it is harder to explain but I immediately gauge my primary thought than address all other factors linked to it. This includes imagining people's reactions, planning for those said reactions, as well as visualizing different situations that could spring from said action. I once had a college classmate ask me in all seriousness, "Are you always thinking five steps down the road," to which my response was, "Yeah... You don't?"

high-five for thinking ahead.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A fine idea, Muse. I'll get it done tomorrow morning if someone doesn't beat me to the punch.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.