Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAXTrain is over: Share your pictures and stories.

TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
The 5th annual
West Coast Train Trip Follow us on twitter @PAXTrain

Donate to the Pizza Drive!
We'll be buying loads of pizza in Portland, OR and are taking donations to fund the pies. You can bring cash monies to TNTrooper. He'll be the scrawny guy with the pedo-bear laptop. As for toppings go we will be sticking with more generic stuff that everyone would want a slice of but we'll try to accommodate request. Just keep in mind weird shit like Goat Anus probably won't happen unless a lot of people request it.

What it is

The Successor to the West Coast Super Trip (the nerdy caravan that started it all) The West Coast Train Trip, or "PAXTrain" for short, is a coordinated effort for PAX-goers to ride the same train at the same time going up the western coast of the United States - both as an alternative to driving or flying, and to enjoy an intimate "mini-convention".

Why the train?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaAN6Rng0o0

How to get on the PAXTrain
Spoiler:

Stuff You Need
Spoiler:

PAXtrain Gear
Spoiler:

The PAXTrain Staff

I know that a small percentage of people have issue with an organized "PAXTrain Staff." There was some drama in 2008. "You are on a power trip and need to settle down." Please understand that to keep good relations with Amtrak and not have a bunch of people booted off the train in the middle of buttfuck nowhere we present the Amtrak Staff with a Face (or faces) who represents us a group. This helps keep the staff more at ease and provides everyone on both sides with a go to guy(or go to people) with whom they can speak if there is a problem. If any of the PAXTrain staff seems at any time to be rude or power tripping, please know that it is because we don't like being yelled at by Amtrak Staff, and yes Amtrak staff has on occasion asked PAXTrain staff to quell some problems that have come up. (Noise, crowding the isle, hogging the obs. deck, etc.)

The Rules
Spoiler:

Booze
Spoiler:

The Hot Spots - I'm Going off the Rails on this Crazy PAXTrain
Spoiler:

Events
Spoiler:

Feel free to PM me if I left anything out or need to make any changes.

TimeCruiserMike on
timecruisermikebanner450x79.png

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Love the sig. And the promo video.

I'll be on the train the way up for sure.

3DS: 5112-3515-8441 | PSN: Nezandy | XBL: Arikado PA | BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | Twitter
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Hopping on in Klamath Falls.

I live on a farm.
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll be on the 8:15 Train from PDX on the 24th to Seattle arrives around 12:15. Get lots of time to explore this year unlike last.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti Moving shit with the power of Zen. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We're taking the train but from entirely the wrong direction. :) We're training it from Vancouver in the AM on the 24th and returning on the 29th so we can take advantage of the MMT and PPP.

• Chee-Kay EchsChee-Kay Echs Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hello.

For those of you that will be doing this, I cannot wait to meet you. I too am going to PAX, and I will be working at the King Street Station that night (there are actually several of us there going). While I may appear to be a mild-mannered redcap, you may notice the Scott Pilgrim 1-up button on my lanyard. Or the (R2) Droid 2. Or the fact that your 3DS might have a new Mii on it. I look forward to greeting you all.

Welcome to my city. Let's have some fun.

Chee- Kay Echs

PS- I still have the button you gave me last year, Time Cruiser Mike. I might have to sport it next to Pilgrim.

• Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Once again we will be there for the ride up! Amanda has volunteered to again design a T-Shirt, and I've learned a few lessons from last year about how to distribute them. More details to follow. Looking forward to seeing everyone, and meeting some new folks as well!

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That one Amtrak guy from last year was awesome. Made up for that long stop in whatever small town that was by Mount Shasta when they kicked that one dude off by far.

mts wrote: »
    heres how i see it being a total win situation for you
    1. stay with your wife while she dog sits. this wins husband points since she knows its out of your comfort zone
    2. have sex all over her friends house so that the next time you see her friend look at you condescendingly, you can wink back knowing you did the freaky deaky where she eats her cheerios.
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skeith wrote: »
    That one Amtrak guy from last year was awesome. Made up for that long stop in whatever small town that was by Mount Shasta when they kicked that one dude off by far.

i believe that was butte valley . . . <_< >_> we like to pronounce it butt, tee hee.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bought my tickets. Probably won't be bringing that 50 feet or whatever it was extension cord, the SNES, and N64 but I still got plenty of Powers Squids and I might have a fan.

steam_sig.png
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am jealous of you people for having such an awesome train; the East train alliance was amazing but the sheer geek power here is incredible.

• DhutchDhutch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh man- this will be my third PAX, but first time on the train! I felt that was important enough to actually make a forum profile. I'll be taking a small train from Irvine, then taking the whole route from LAX to PAX!

Ravenclaw, Dumbledore's Army! CaCAW! 2011 TWDT Winners!
    edited April 2011
    Our group will probably get there a bit earlier so we can get some french dips at Philippes.

3DS: 5112-3515-8441 | PSN: Nezandy | XBL: Arikado PA | BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | Twitter
  • xucchinixucchini Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Woot! I got my tickets. Getting on in Davis, CA. :)

• proyebatproyebat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I'm planning to attend PAX this year (my first time) and PAXTrain might be the most convenient way for me to head to PAX. I have no cash atm to pay for all the expenses, but I'm hoping I can earn enough to cover everything by the time PAX rolls around by working all summer.

So for the people who've already done PAXTrain, how much do the tickets increase in price in the following months? I'm worried if I would have to bum money from parents and pay them back over the summer to avoid price increases.

I'm just worried because I don't start my summer job until the beginning of June.

455Bo4O.png
    edited April 2011
    the highest I've seen round trip tickets from LA to Seattle go for is $277. i believe this was a month or 2 before PAX. I paid around $200 a few months ago and current price is $235. I'm not sure where you'd be getting on from but this should give you a general idea.

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm really interested in doing this, but I have to figure out what my options are first. I'm in the Antelope Valley.

Does the Van Nuys station have long-term parking? Shuttles? Anything of the sort? I saw what Amtrak has to offer from Lancaster, and I really don't like the itinerary they gave for a return trip... a bus ride from Sacramento to Stockton, then a train ride to Bakersfield, and then a bus from Bakersfield to Lancaster with no checked bags (what'll I do with the con swag?)

steam_sig.png
    Current PA Wrestlethread champion: Roman Reigns | PA Team Challenge Series current scores
    edited April 2011
    Does the Van Nuys station have long-term parking? Shuttles? Anything of the sort?
    I'm thinking that Van Nuys doesn't have any of that .. . but i can't say for sure . . . i usually get someone to drive me to and from the train station. I work near there, I'll stop in and find out on my way to or from work tomorrow. One thing you could do though is find a metro park and ride location and then hop a bus to the train station. . . just a thought.

edited April 2011
    That might actually be the way to go, but I don't know if I want to be boarding an MTA bus at 9 at night with a whole bunch of bags. :)

My first thought was taking the Metrolink down to Union Station, but the return train gets to Union Station at 9:00 and the last Metrolink on the AV line leaves at 9:05... not what you'd call a whole lot of time to make my connection. And my poor car probably won't take the drive down to Union Station in August weather and LA traffic. Van Nuys sounds a lot more doable.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: According to Google, there is a Park and Ride at the Van Nuys Metrolink (which I understand is the same station as the Amtrak). You happen to know their rules on long-term parking?

steam_sig.png
    Current PA Wrestlethread champion: Roman Reigns | PA Team Challenge Series current scores
    edited April 2011
    Metrolink in Van Nuys can take you to LA Union Station, if that helps.

I usually have my dad drop us off at the Pomona North Metrolink and go to LA from there early in the morning. I can't have peace of mind leaving my car in a parking lot in a place I'm not familiar with.

edited April 2011
    OK, I've been doing more digging, and it looks like Prime Time Shuttles does offer service from Lancaster to Union Station. Unfortunately, it's not a regular route for them, so I'd have to get a private van, which is $150.00 each way.

The good news is that the private van holds up to 9 passengers.

Anyone else from the AV want to split the cost?

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Why not just get on at Van Nuys? You're LITERALLY the 1st stop.

edited April 2011
    Arikado wrote: »
    Why not just get on at Van Nuys? You're LITERALLY the 1st stop.

Because Van Nuys is still about an hour drive away from me, and it's looking more and more like there's no good long-term parking options.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Oh, I thought you were in Van Nuys.

Just for reference, where are you coming from specifically? A lot of us have our methods of getting to Union Station where we might help one another.

edited April 2011
    As I keep saying, Lancaster, you silly goose. :)

So, anybody who is coming down from the Antelope Valley area, if you've got other options, I'm all ears.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Oops.

I think I recall someone being from Palmdale last year on the PAX Train. Although, I don't really know what travel that entails since quite a few people who get on LA just crash as a relative's/friend's place the night before.

I hate to see people miss the train but I also know zero about what's out at Lancaster. If it makes it any better for you, some people do leave their cars at Union Station for the weekend at PAX.

• thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Part of me wants to fly down and spend some time in disneyland, then train back up...

also, is there also a train group coming from the midwest going to the west?

edited April 2011
    I hate to see people miss the train but I also know zero about what's out at Lancaster. If it makes it any better for you, some people do leave their cars at Union Station for the weekend at PAX.

Yeah, I think I'll just get the tickets from Union Station, and I'll park my car there if I can't get enough people to split the shuttle. I'd still rather do the shuttle if I can, though, and if I can get at least 3 other people to split it with, I think it'll probably still not cost much more than driving (especially with gas prices the way they are), so if anybody reading this wants to go in on it, let me know.

steam_sig.png
  • Adonus76Adonus76 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm heading down from the High Desert area about an hr from you that Tuesday evening to meet up at Arikado's house, so if you can get to me we can take you the rest of the way.

Spoiler:
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My tickets arrived yesterday. After years of talking about going and never acting on it (but coming REALLY close last year), PAX is all of a sudden finally a reality for me. I'll be joining you folks at Simi.

Oh and I ride Metrolink nearly every day downtown for work so if anyone has any questions about how they operate I'll offer what knowledge I can.

steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User
    edited April 2011
    HOW DARE YOU HAVE THIS PAX TRAIN IN MY ABSENCE!

...Like does anyone have 900 ish bucks to spare? I'll totally never pay you back!

RazorbackKing.png
    edited April 2011
    I noticed the train ride down is considerably cheaper (around $107) this time around in case people want to jump on it early before the price goes up.

EDIT: Hotel accommodations are good for now. :)

• MLORDMLORD Registered User
    edited April 2011
    So are there any suggestions for people who would be arriving late on the trip to join in the fun as quickly as possible? I know if I took the train this year it would be my first, I also would not be getting on till PDX(portland). The trip sounds amazingly fun but again any suggestions on quick interaction and any info on late in trip events? thanks again guys....sounds like a blast

M.LORD
    Staticwave Entertainment
    AIM DJMLORD2001
    edited April 2011
    MLORD wrote: »
    So are there any suggestions for people who would be arriving late on the trip to join in the fun as quickly as possible? I know if I took the train this year it would be my first, I also would not be getting on till PDX(portland). The trip sounds amazingly fun but again any suggestions on quick interaction and any info on late in trip events? thanks again guys....sounds like a blast

Just walk into the Obs car which is towards the front of the train first car before the dining car you know when you are in the car cause that is the one filled with nerds and geeks playing tons of games. Go ahead and join one of the many games that is happening. If you want to be everyone's best friend we like Voodoo Donuts and Portland is a good time for someone to show up with boxes of pizza.

steam_sig.png
  • Adonus76Adonus76 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    BBQ wings

Spoiler:
    edited April 2011
    The PAX Train golden phrase: "I got next."

edited April 2011
    The PAX Train golden phrase: "I got next."

This isn't Vietnam. This is PAX Train. There are rules here!
    Spoiler:
    Adonus76 wrote: »
    BBQ wings

Yessss!

steam_sig.png
  • BearbarossaBearbarossa Registered User
    edited May 2011
    My party of two will be getting on in Salinas! My second time to PAX and first time on the train...is the arrival time in Seattle pretty accurate?

edited May 2011
    ...is the arrival time in Seattle pretty accurate?
    It is accurate for the most part, unless we have to sit for 3 hours in the middle of nowhere to deal with an unruly drunken passenger, or the train gods are feeling unloved that day. In all fairness the arrival time is far more accurate now than it was in years past. Last year there was time to check into our hotels and then catch the tail end of the bar crawl.

edited May 2011
    I dunno, last year we got there just a bit ahead of schedule even with the drunken dumb ass.

I have some pictures of him being taken away still, btw.

• BearbarossaBearbarossa Registered User
    edited May 2011
    Ah thanks, I was worried that I'd book a hotel for the 25th only to have the train not arrive until the next morning (knock on wood).

The drunk must've been a real gem to get the boot off the train. I won't be sorry if I miss out on that kind of experience during my first train trip.