As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ahab and Mars Relationship [Chat] Power Hour!

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    What thats a thing? I thought that Taxidermy was like a crazy mountain man thing, and that they sustained themselves on being brought dead animals. *googles* Crazy shit.

Flay, good luck. The hardest part is seeing a project to completion, but it can be a lot of fun to get your hands messy. I loved 3d printing and sorta miss it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    3d printing is THE BEST THING.

and you can still do it - shapeways.com prints in everything, in color, and will send you your printed things. I do not know how much more awesome it gets.

Or you could always build your own Chocolate Printer and print chocolate companion cubes

fill them with raspberry goo and send them as valventines

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    holy crap you guys

this year, Warren Spector is giving the commencement speech for my school's graduation

that's fucking crazy

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    What thats a thing? I thought that Taxidermy was like a crazy mountain man thing, and that they sustained themselves on being brought dead animals. *googles* Crazy shit.

Flay, good luck. The hardest part is seeing a project to completion, but it can be a lot of fun to get your hands messy. I loved 3d printing and sorta miss it.

The microfridge I used in my basement last year came from a taxidermist. She used it to store crows.

God that thing was a piece of shit.

I know another taxidermist who also makes just the coolest decorated skulls.

You want some connections to the taxidermy biz? I got 'em.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Flay wrote: »
    I just stumbled upon this gallery on deviantart and holy shit I really want to be able to make a demon-skin rug. Or a kraken pocket-watch. I don't even know where people start to learn these things though; maybe I should pick up some textiles, or learn how to cast resin?

I LOVE her masks!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

as the proud owner of two animal skulls
    yes
    it is a real thing
    and I want so many more dead things

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    having some skulls around for drawing from would be nice.

Iruka on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I <3 my cow skull.

Flay on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you dig into missmonsters gallery, you can find some progress shots. I think people just start by going "I want to make a thing" and then start into the rabbit hole.

More curious to me, though, is where the hell she gets her supplies. I don't know where you buy fur and eyes in bulk.

@Kochi, I hope your buddies recover well, that sucks, people can be really awful.

Moly, Having a million bucks and a dev team doesn't make you immune to mistakes, including occasional game busting.

You can get tons of fur with a fur cleaning mitt and a dog or cat.

MKR on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I gave my resume to my friends mom because she said they were hiring graphic designers. Had a phone interview, and now I need to send off some samples. (Been scrambling to make some sample work, I wasn't expecting such a quick response.)

Is sending them in a PDF LIKE THIS professional enough?

I really don't want to make some kind of temp website for them.

...might need to optimize the pdf a bit too.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The pdf looks pretty classy to me! (altough i could only glance at it since i'm at work, but i liked what i saw. I've seen far worse resumes for designers here.)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hey so who was it that had a friend with a finalist in the Kill Shakespeare cover contest? cause I am pretty sure that person won despite being #2 in voting and there was some consternation over this because it wasn't based solely on the popular vote (which, to my way of thinking seems pretty obvious, you can't let a popular vote affect your brand representation in print media, especially based on social media voting.) anywho, thought I would share...

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hey so who was it that had a friend with a finalist in the Kill Shakespeare cover contest? cause I am pretty sure that person won despite being #2 in voting and there was some consternation over this because it wasn't based solely on the popular vote (which, to my way of thinking seems pretty obvious, you can't let a popular vote affect your brand representation in print media, especially based on social media voting.) anywho, thought I would share...
    Grifter wrote:
    Hey guys, my friend Alex Perkins seems to be in a contest on Facebook. It's for the cover of Kill Shakespeare. Apparently, he's in the final five but some guy has come along with his posse to vote himself up. If you guys have the time and think that his cover is worth it then please find the time to go on Facebook, find the Kill Shakespeare page and vote for Alex's cover.
    I'm glad it won. It really was the one that deserved it, the other was probably just backed by a big DA crowd.

m3nace on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that is pretty much my impression of things as well and that was the explanation given on the KS blog in reply to aforementioned consternation. they don't come right out and say that the vote was rigged but they do mention someone else's contest that was "unbalanced" by someone aggressively campaigning for votes through social media. there were also some publisher concerns (legit) and overall the best work according to the KS crew prevailed. also, yay thanks for tracking down the original post: i am posting from my phone which makes c/p impossible!

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Anybody near San Francisco have a floor/couch/mansion my classmate and I could sleep on/in Sunday night? I'm doing a cross country trip for flight school.

bombardier on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mars does. ;-)

DeeLock on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Congrats McGibs!

If it comes to XBLA I'll have to buy it.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The screenshots really look great Gibs! I think/hope it will do well.

Iruka on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grats, Gibs! That's rad :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Makin a new thread...don't know what to say...blah blah blah!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love spider threads in H/A because they always degenerate into "brown recluse this brown recluse that" inside of five posts.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of XBLA...

I GO ON R & R in 11 DAYS!!!!

You know what that means :D:D:D:D

I CAN DL PORTAL 2!!! (+all my other steam games, programs I use, music etc :D:D:D I can't wait!!!!)

News flash: I'm enrolling in 2 art classes this coming semester because I have nothing better to do! SO, hopefully I can stop being so shitty.

edit: Totally buying capsized. MINE!!!

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ohmygod this paper is killing me!

I will give someone as much as $1.50 to write this stupid paper for me.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    American currency? Sold!
    this stupid paper for me.

$1.50 please.

Flay on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Boooooo.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    True comedy gold.

Flay on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gibs! How does it feel?? That's so awesome...

F87 on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gibs, that looks great! Like Deelock says, I hope it comes to XBLA so I can get it

sharky t on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think he had said originally it was just supposed to be on XBLA, so hopefully it'll still be there. I'm definitely going to grab it on steam though! Grats McGibbs!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just lost so much art and psd files. FUUUUUUCK!

F87 on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Congrats Gibs. It must be exciting to see your project up on Steam, I hope it does well. Do you have plans to start a new game, or was this a one-off project for you?

Frank: That sucks man. On the bright side, now you will never forget to make backups, because now you know the sting.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mental note: Back up art files.

Also, I sent of my design samples (not much different than the ones I posted earlier).

And even though I know they are going to schedule me for an interview regardless, I'm still anxious as heck!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So yeah, Game of Thrones, anyone watching it?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh! Just had the most awkward night out everrrr with my boss' son (my friend who got me the job) not allowed to stay out too late and got a lift home from my boss' husband!... Those tequila and sambuca shots probably wont go down well with her!

@Sublimus those website designs are pretty solid man! Good stuff all round!

sharky t on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DeeLock wrote: »
    So yeah, Game of Thrones, anyone watching it?

Nope, I sadly don't get HBO. But, I have been watching the Killing

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wow. I really need to learn Flash and Illustrator.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Learning illustrator is like learning how to walk again. You do most of the same stuff in photoshop, but in a totally different way. I really need to spend some more time in it, and flash, and InDesign; if I'm ever to escape IT support.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    depending on what you are interested in, I would say illustrator is a more useful skill. Flash is an abysmal program.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I kind of got that impression. I also keep hearing vague distant rumblings that Flash is slowly being phased out in favor of other programs.

Fugitive on
This discussion has been closed.