As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[COX] - City of Heroes Freedom is Live, TITAN WEAPONS are live also new iTrials

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Hamidon Pasalima, aka Doctor Hamidon, is the man who turned himself into what we know as THE Hamidon. This is old news and not worthy of being spoilered. The Hamidon coming into existence earlier in Praetorian Earth than in Primal is likely nothing more than a quirk of fate. The good doctor completed his life's work sooner rather than later. Happenstance like that is what alternate dimensions are all about.

NOOOOOOOPE. (Spoilers for...well ok every iTrial since the UG talks about these so there's that)

Hamidon is tied in pretty strongly with the Coles (statesmen) of the various worlds, so here we go.
    Narbus wrote: »
    All the Coles that we have met, Statesman, Tyrant, and Reichsman all drank from the well way back in like 1920. The big differences between Primal Earth and Praetoria are:
    1) Praetsman killed PraetStephan Richter at the Well. Statesman did not, and when Stephan drank he became Lord Recluse, who went on to take over Arachnos and lead a coup in the Rogue Isles, giving the villains of the world somewhere to gather.
    2) A super powered arms race during the Korean war scared Gen. MacArthur so much that he ordered a nuclear strike on Korea. Praetsman was so disgusted at this that he allowed the world to believe the blast had killed him, and went on a big, angsty walkabout.
    3) The nuclear strike also pissed off the slumbering Hamidon, who then woke up far earlier than the PrimalHamidon did.

It's canonical that when the primals go on a Hamiraid, they aren't killing Hamidon. Hamidon is trying to rise up and evolve to protect the earth. But since Statesman was around to gather heroes in Paragon City, and Recluse was around to gather heroes in the Isles, there's a force able to push the Hamidon back underground and stop him from gaining any more power.

There was no such force on Praetorian Earth, so when Hamidon emerged, there was no one to stop him. He got out, and he grew. He grew so much that by the time Praetsman put down the Morrisey and re-emerged, the world was preparing for another nuclear strike, this time against the Hamidon, who had (of course) taken up residence in Praetsman's hometown. By the time Praetsman got there, the town had been vaporized.

Of course this did nothing but make the Hamidon angrier. Praetsman attacked it, and we THOUGHT that with a great effort of will, he drove it back, giving humanity a chance to found the city of Praetoria and begin trying to reclaim the world. Now we know that Praetsman didn't beat it, he bargained with it, asking for the chance to prove humanity was savable.

Narbus on
    Oh also the final changes to gravity went live today, so get to rollin' on those new controllers and dominators. You can phase your allies now! What fun!

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hamidon Pasalima, aka Doctor Hamidon, is the man who turned himself into what we know as THE Hamidon. This is old news and not worthy of being spoilered. The Hamidon coming into existence earlier in Praetorian Earth than in Primal is likely nothing more than a quirk of fate. The good doctor completed his life's work sooner rather than later. Happenstance like that is what alternate dimensions are all about.

NOOOOOOOPE. (Spoilers for...well ok every iTrial since the UG talks about these so there's that)

Hamidon is tied in pretty strongly with the Coles (statesmen) of the various worlds, so here we go.
    All the Coles that we have met, Statesman, Tyrant, and Reichsman all drank from the well way back in like 1920. The big differences between Primal Earth and Praetoria are:
    1) Praetsman killed PraetStephan Richter at the Well. Statesman did not, and when Stephan drank he became Lord Recluse, who went on to take over Arachnos and lead a coup in the Rogue Isles, giving the villains of the world somewhere to gather.
    2) A super powered arms race during the Korean war scared Gen. MacArthur so much that he ordered a nuclear strike on Korea. Praetsman was so disgusted at this that he allowed the world to believe the blast had killed him, and went on a big, angsty walkabout.
    3) The nuclear strike also pissed off the slumbering Hamidon, who then woke up far earlier than the PrimalHamidon did.

It's canonical that when the primals go on a Hamiraid, they aren't killing Hamidon. Hamidon is trying to rise up and evolve to protect the earth. But since Statesman was around to gather heroes in Paragon City, and Recluse was around to gather heroes in the Isles, there's a force able to push the Hamidon back underground and stop him from gaining any more power.

There was no such force on Praetorian Earth, so when Hamidon emerged, there was no one to stop him. He got out, and he grew. He grew so much that by the time Praetsman put down the Morrisey and re-emerged, the world was preparing for another nuclear strike, this time against the Hamidon, who had (of course) taken up residence in Praetsman's hometown. By the time Praetsman got there, the town had been vaporized.

Of course this did nothing but make the Hamidon angrier. Praetsman attacked it, and we THOUGHT that with a great effort of will, he drove it back, giving humanity a chance to found the city of Praetoria and begin trying to reclaim the world. Now we know that Praetsman didn't beat it, he bargained with it, asking for the chance to prove humanity was savable.

This is all very interesting but it's functionally identical to what I said. A minor quirk of fate, instead of the Doctor completing his work earlier the doctor simply woke up from a slumber he was arbitrarily engaged in earlier.

I was primarily refuting the idea that there's some super secret reason both Hamidons are called the Hamidon despite showing up at different times, as was proposed by kafziel. There's no conspiracy there. They're still the same person. Thing. Thing that was a person.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited March 2012
    Actually we don't know that. Some actual spoilers from new stuff to follow:
    In one of the dev chats leading up to the launch of the Incarnate system, it was revealed that Hamidon, in some way, touched the Well and that is how a simple scientist managed to become a devourer of worlds. But in Praetoria, Hamidon evolved so much that even Praetsman, as a champion of the Well, is struggling to defeat it. Prometheus has said outright that Praetsman has taken on so much of the Well's power that he is little more than a puppet at this point. So, with that in mind, let's look at what Prometheus said in Kaf's post:
    Those who have become like a 'well' have the ability to create whole worlds out of their very thoughts. They can make dimensions of their own design, setting the rules by which their world will exist. They can create entities to serve them, or isolate themselves in a peaceful silence. In this way, they are freer than the 'wells' which are linked to a species, for their continued existence is dependent only on themselves, not the survival of the species.
    Hamidon's power exceeds that of the Well: Check.
    Creating entities to serve themselves: Hello the entire Devouring Earth enemy group.
    Looking to live in isolation: Right the fuck on.
    And most importantly, Hamidon is trying to destroy the entire human species. The Well relies on humans to keep existing, it most certainly would not be in favor of something like what the Hamidon wants to do.
    There are a LOT of signs that point towards Hamidon being something more than just another Incarnate. All of what we know about Hamidon lines up with what we know about beings who Ascend. And we also know, from Rularuu, that Ascended beings can wander dimensions, and from the stuff in DA, beings that become Ascended can become a form of "Well" themselves. So if PraetHamidon is bigger than our Well, then it makes sense that it would seek to save more Earths from the scourge of humanity, and what better way than by teaming up with itself?
    If I were to start wildly guessing, I'd say that Prometheus is in Ouro not just to help us become incarnates to beat back the Battalion, but also to give us enough power that we can beat down beings, like the Hamidon, who are trying to Ascend without the permission of Prometheus's little group. It would certainly explain a LOT.

Narbus on
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I'd just like to point out, once again, that I love the fuck out of this lore and I wish this would transfer in some way into making me want to *play the game its located in*

edited March 2012
    Actually we don't know that. Some actual spoilers from new stuff to follow:
    In one of the dev chats leading up to the launch of the Incarnate system, it was revealed that Hamidon, in some way, touched the Well and that is how a simple scientist managed to become a devourer of worlds. But in Praetoria, Hamidon evolved so much that even Praetsman, as a champion of the Well, is struggling to defeat it. Prometheus has said outright that Praetsman has taken on so much of the Well's power that he is little more than a puppet at this point. So, with that in mind, let's look at what Prometheus said in Kaf's post:
    Those who have become like a 'well' have the ability to create whole worlds out of their very thoughts. They can make dimensions of their own design, setting the rules by which their world will exist. They can create entities to serve them, or isolate themselves in a peaceful silence. In this way, they are freer than the 'wells' which are linked to a species, for their continued existence is dependent only on themselves, not the survival of the species.
    Hamidon's power exceeds that of the Well: Check.
    Creating entities to serve themselves: Hello the entire Devouring Earth enemy group.
    Looking to live in isolation: Right the fuck on.
    And most importantly, Hamidon is trying to destroy the entire human species. The Well relies on humans to keep existing, it most certainly would not be in favor of something like what the Hamidon wants to do.
    There are a LOT of signs that point towards Hamidon being something more than just another Incarnate. All of what we know about Hamidon lines up with what we know about beings who Ascend. And we also know, from Rularuu, that Ascended beings can wander dimensions, and from the stuff in DA, beings that become Ascended can become a form of "Well" themselves. So if PraetHamidon is bigger than our Well, then it makes sense that it would seek to save more Earths from the scourge of humanity, and what better way than by teaming up with itself?
    If I were to start wildly guessing, I'd say that Prometheus is in Ouro not just to help us become incarnates to beat back the Battalion, but also to give us enough power that we can beat down beings, like the Hamidon, who are trying to Ascend without the permission of Prometheus's little group. It would certainly explain a LOT.

None of this has anything to do with what I just said. Valid points all, but they do not communicate anything relevant to my point.

Fiaryn on
  • kafzielkafziel Registered User regular

Well, here's the thing. On Primal Earth, Hamidon Pasalima created the Will of the Earth and became Hamidon in early 2003. In Praetoria, the Hamidon first appeared in the 70s. It is not known whether Praetoria had a Hamidon Pasalima, or how old our Hamidon Pasalima was in 2003.

What is known is this:
    A few months back, I sent a message to Protean, the head story dude, asking the following:
    "Actually, I have another question - about Hamidon this time. As far as I understand it, in Primal Earth, Hamidon came to be when the ecoactivist Hamidon Pasalima did <something bizarre> and turned himself into the Hamidon we know and love. And according to the wiki's timeline, at least, this is supposed to have happened in 2003, after the Rikti War. But Praetorian Hamidon arose at least 20 years earlier than that. Did that, too, originate as Praetorian Hamidon Pasalima, who just did his thing far sooner in his life because of the heightened nuclear atmosphere in Praetorian Earth? Or did it come from somewhere else, and the name "Hamidon" is a coincidence? And if the latter ... if that's information that's not forbidden to be given out, where did Praetorian Hamidon come from?"

and his answer was as follows:
    "<Warning: Unauthorized conversation topic in Praetorian Chat Room. PPD and Seers are being dispatched to the area. Remain calm, remain where you are, everything will be alright. This is for your own good.>

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen anyone else bring up the question of why the Praetorians call Hamidon Hamidon...

In other words... no comment. "

There's more mystery here than just "Oh, it's an alternate dimension."

edited March 2012
    kafziel wrote: »

Well, here's the thing. On Primal Earth, Hamidon Pasalima created the Will of the Earth and became Hamidon in early 2003. In Praetoria, the Hamidon first appeared in the 70s. It is not known whether Praetoria had a Hamidon Pasalima, or how old our Hamidon Pasalima was in 2003.

What is known is this:
    A few months back, I sent a message to Protean, the head story dude, asking the following:
    "Actually, I have another question - about Hamidon this time. As far as I understand it, in Primal Earth, Hamidon came to be when the ecoactivist Hamidon Pasalima did <something bizarre> and turned himself into the Hamidon we know and love. And according to the wiki's timeline, at least, this is supposed to have happened in 2003, after the Rikti War. But Praetorian Hamidon arose at least 20 years earlier than that. Did that, too, originate as Praetorian Hamidon Pasalima, who just did his thing far sooner in his life because of the heightened nuclear atmosphere in Praetorian Earth? Or did it come from somewhere else, and the name "Hamidon" is a coincidence? And if the latter ... if that's information that's not forbidden to be given out, where did Praetorian Hamidon come from?"

"<Warning: Unauthorized conversation topic in Praetorian Chat Room. PPD and Seers are being dispatched to the area. Remain calm, remain where you are, everything will be alright. This is for your own good.>

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen anyone else bring up the question of why the Praetorians call Hamidon Hamidon...

The problem is that the idea that the Praetorian Hamidon isn't the same person despite having the same name, creating the same creatures, having the same motives, and the same general modus operandi is a needlessly complex answer with no direct evidence to support it. Whereas all of the above suggests that they are the same person.

In other words, I'm going with Occam's Razor on this one until something more substantial (read: anything) shows up.

Fiaryn on

What is known is this:

The problem is that the idea that the Praetorian Hamidon isn't the same person despite having the same name, creating the same creatures, having the same motives, and the same general modus operandi is a needlessly complex answer with no direct evidence to support it. Whereas all of the above suggests that they are the same person.

In other words, I'm going with Occam's Razor on this one until something more substantial (read: anything) shows up.

Okay.

If it were really just that simple, why wouldn't the head story guy have been willing to say as much?

edited March 2012

What is known is this:

Okay.

If it were really just that simple, why wouldn't the head story guy have been willing to say as much?

He's the head story guy. Being pointlessly cagey to spur speculation is kind of a thing the position is known for.

It's like taking your Dungeon Master going "Hmmmm" when you speculate something to mean you're right. It's your fucking Dungeon Master he's almost definitely fucking with you.

Fiaryn on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is it possible that the Praet and Primal Hamidons are actually just extensions of an Ascended UberHamidon, who is reaching out of it's own private universe and finding like minded sentient beings to empower and absorb to fight against the heretofore unknown power behind the Wells?
    I don't know, I couldn't keep track of all the lore while I was playing the game. Now that I've been out for a while... well, the lore's gone far beyond what it was.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Kinda makes you pine for the old days, eh see?
    "that dude's evil. Punch him."

"ok."

newSig.jpg
    "NO, YOU CANT PUNCH HIM THAT WAY, YOU CAN ONLY PUNCH HIM IN THE WAY I SAY IS RIGHT! ALL PUNCH SETS ARE DEBUFFED BY 50%!"

Serious Question: What's the best way to game the market these days? I've got almost 300 reward merits on Kaluza, so if it's still the old "Reward-Hero-LOTG Recipes" method, I'm covered.

LotG are 70 million per 200 merits. You could probably do better buying enhancement converters, buying cheap PvP IOs, and converting your way to a Gladiator Armor even with the crashed price.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Are the IO converters live now? Sweet.

newSig.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    how much do they cost?

(I can finally convert all these random sleep recipes I bought forever ago)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    So, looks like next week you'll be able to buy a Hecatomb set in the paragon store.

how much do they cost?

(I can finally convert all these random sleep recipes I bought forever ago)

10 reward merits and an insignificant amount of influence a pop.

34fo70x.jpg

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Holy shit, they're not XXXXX billion anymore?

edited March 2012
    A duck! wrote: »

You can get it far cheaper than that, realistically. Got 200 reward merits? Blow them on converters, buy a cheap PvP IO for say 80-90 mil, convert said PvP Out of Set with 1 converter until you hit a piece of Gladiator Armor. Then use 3 converters a pop to convert to different pieces of the same set til you hit +3% defense. Congrats you got a Glad Armor for what is effectively a net worth of 150~ mil and maybe 5 minutes of dicking around.

Fiaryn on

Converters broke the market. It is exciting.

Converters broke the market. It is exciting.

B-b-but PL what do we do now that PvP IOs and purples are devalued? My status symbol bawwwww

edited March 2012
    The reason I even brought up what to do in the first place, is because the market has horrendously crashed. We're not just talking prices either. Quantity of items has been dramatically lowered. Most of the widely-needed IO's (acc/dam/end etc.) only have less than 3 available at the higher levels, and yet the price hasnt really shot up for them. I'm pretty curious to see what happened in terms of everything else, although I'm pretty positive it's the same results.
    EDIT: Yea, somehow I'm not surprised. The Salvage market is still roughly the same, with the highest sellers still being AlcSilver/CandyCane/SpellInk/LuckCharm and still in roughly the same amounts of buyers and sellers, but the price on the things you can Still Drop have dropped dramatically.
    OH! And apparently this PVP set only fucking works if you're level 50. For instance:
    C8aUX.jpg

However, you scroll down to ANYTHING NOT LEVEL 50, and there is absolutely no market for it. No one is selling, no one is buying. Maybe, if you're REALLY LUCKY, someone did once buy one. In 2010.
    So, guess I just wasted 200 reward merits.

WeX Majors on
    edited March 2012
    Gladiator Armor recipe are going to show much the same as they always have, because converters produce enhancements not recipes. Something to keep in mind.

Edit: But yes there isn't all that much of a market for stuff below level 50. A game as drop dead easy to power level to max like CoX, most people are thinking about the end game. Especially with IOs.

Fiaryn on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    I decided to pick up my old 50 crab spider for a while. Looking at his build, besides a KB protection IO, he has no sets at all--only standard inventions.

What sort of thing should a Crab build for? Recharge? I'm totally useless when it comes to IOs.

Also, any recommendations on which incarnate powers he should have? Right now I have the rank 3 endurance alpha and the endurance buff (destiny?) which seems a bit overkill.

Depends what you're going for, really. Crabs can do petspam, blasting, and durability, and you can basically pick two of those things and build for them. For petspam, you want enough recharge to keep all your pets out all the time. For blasting, you want enough recharge to spam your AoEs as much as possible. For durability, you want positional defense and enough recharge to keep Serum up all the time.

So, basically, what I'm saying is build for Recharge and also some Positional Defense. Agility might be a good Alpha line to look into.

That's my problem, I don't actually know what I want to build for besides 'turn MORE DAKKA the crab spider into death, destroyer of worlds'. How to go about that (not just with this guy, but with all my characters) pretty much eludes me completely. :P

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I did a defense build on mine, which I can post later. A good Crab can have basically Tank-level durability.

I did a defense build on mine, which I can post later. A good Crab can have basically Tank-level durability.

Well, no. Not close to tank-level. But still very durable.
    Ledneh wrote: »
    That's my problem, I don't actually know what I want to build for besides 'turn MORE DAKKA the crab spider into death, destroyer of worlds'. How to go about that (not just with this guy, but with all my characters) pretty much eludes me completely. :P

How much you looking to spend? I can throw together a build.

A Crab can and should softcap positional defenses and get a fuckton of global recharge at the same time.

Leviathan Mastery is by far the best PPP for them. Arctic Breath and Bile Spray add to their already insane AoE potential.

Well, no. Not close to tank-level. But still very durable.
    Ledneh wrote: »

How much you looking to spend? I can throw together a build.

I appreciate that, but personally I'd rather figure out how to do builds rather than be given one. Build a man a fire vs set him on fire, etc. (Mostly, I need to learn how to navigate Mids without wanting to do myself harm. Not a fun UI.)

That being said, I've got about 550M inf lying around, which I suppose just means 'no purples' as far as my spending limits go.

Also I really like summoning my spiderlings, reinforcements, EPP pet, and Lore pets all at once and making mastermnds go D:/

Crab pets are fine until you set foot in Incarnate content. Then they become fairly worthless.

Still, doesn't mean I shouldn't at least take and slot them... right?

Oh lordy building for 50 is so unfamiliar to me :(

I would probably take Call Reinforcements and four slot Expedient Reinforcements, maybe six slot it if you need the Ranged defense. But the rest? Nah.

Do they not get the level bump in Incarnate content that Mastermind pets do? That sounds like an oversight more than an intentional weakness.

edited March 2012
    Do they not get the level bump in Incarnate content that Mastermind pets do? That sounds like an oversight more than an intentional weakness.

I've never really checked. If they do, it's just not enough. They fold hilariously easily, even with Barrier. Honestly this may have as much to do with Incarnate content simply being better designed to challenge the player as much as anything. Talons of Vengeance and Banished Pantheon do not fuck around, and pets can't keep up even a little bit.

Fiaryn on
    I love this game when they're willing to poke fun at themselves
    OXdCg.jpg

I threw together a build for my crab based on no knowledge whatsoever. What do you all think?

I was shooting for 'might as well cap ranged defense' and 'recharge is good' because I otherwise don't know what the fuck.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    So guys, Beast Mastery. Best set, or bestest set?

This discussion has been closed.