As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[COX] - City of Heroes Freedom is Live, TITAN WEAPONS are live also new iTrials

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    you learn it I think at the end of underground/from prometheus, right?
    basically the only reason hamidon hadn't completely eaten the praetorian humans is that Cole convinced it during their little psychic tete-a-tete that humans could be something other than warlike, destructive assholes. So he negotiates a truce and goes about making humanity live in peace, brave new world style.

then the primal humans invade praetoria and start fucking shit up and hamidon is all "oh, this can fuck right of then, can't it."

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    sigh double post

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Since we're spoilering this now:
    Does the Well know about Cole's deal with the Hamidon?

Seems kind of weird a deitity figure wouldn't know that Cole's Victory is damn good PR.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Oh no, The Well *definitely* knows. I forgot off hand if it's HIS well or THE well or whatever, but essentially in the great Betting Pool of "Best Incarnate To Survive Battalion" it's got *major* money behind Tyrant.
    Of course what all of that incarnate content boils down to telling you so far, is that WAYYYYY down at the bottom of the list, with odds of like 1000000000000000000:1....is You/The New Incarnates.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    The Well has a sentience of it's own; that much is made clear in the Alpha slot arc. It knows the Battalion is coming, and it's actively seeking out a champion to defend itself. Right now it's looking to Cole. Prometheus claims he is helping us out because he sees what he considers a better way. A group of incarnates, individually not as strong as Cole, but considerably more powerful when aligned. However it goes, what the Well really values is displays of power. So Cole killing Praetcluse, then ruling Praetoria, trying to take over Primal earth, beating back the Hamidon, in every case displaying his willingness to seize and make use of great power, all of these things impress the Well. If a group of incarnates took down Cole, that also would impress the Well, even more.

What's interesting is that, according to one of the devs pre-GR launch, Hamidon touched the well, and is a form of an incarnate. So, why doesn't the Well seek out his help? Hamidon did ransack an entire world, after all, including beating the tar out of Cole, who also had incarnate powers. Sorta plays more into the notion that Hamidon has ascended past the Well, and become, like Rularuu, a Well of his own, with the 'race' of the Devouring Earth as his special folk.

So hey, some stuff got released if you care about that sort of thing.

• CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    I'm gonna make a staff fighting guy. I was thinking I'd go invulnerable with him... Anyone have an opinion on scrapper vs brute with that combo?

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I'm gonna make a staff fighting guy. I was thinking I'd go invulnerable with him... Anyone have an opinion on scrapper vs brute with that combo?

Scrappers will do better damage*, but Brutes will be more durable due to higher caps and higher base HP.

general wisdom is that Brutes > Scrappers at the high end of things, because a Brute at max Fury has approximately equivalent damage to a Scrapper while also being more durable.

Is it bad the first idea I had was to make a Staff Fighter dressed in slacks and a stripe shirt and never slot him with accuracy buffs? Call him something like...GyroSlain
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU&feature=player_embedded#!

UPDATE!
    I am pleased to inform you that the population of our game has already produced
    Staff Infection
    Pole Position
    Pole Cat
    Pole Dancer
    Hot Rod
    Not-So-Hot Rod
    BUT
    They didn't take
    Rodimus Majors
    iNrLA.jpg

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I was pretty sad when I rushed into the game last night to try and reserve the name Little John for when I eventually unlock staff fighting.

Only to find it was already taken.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I was pretty sad when I rushed into the game last night to try and reserve the name Little John for when I eventually unlock staff fighting.

Only to find it was already taken.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

It was probably taken when staff fighting was first hinted. Try Wee, Big, or Nearly Little John?

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Bigger Than Little John But Not Quite As Big As Big John John.

If only the game would allow me to go full feegle on the name, glory would be forever mine.

Heh, thank you Sir Pratchett for making our lives much better...

Littlest John

NREqxl5.jpg
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    Richard LittleJohn

(note: don't do this)

So overall my feelings on Staff are extremely positive. The entire beginning of the set is based around your AOE and making it do More Damage. You get options on what kind of damage that is (it was so rad to be in a lowbie group of all staff, and suddenly realize we were going against Clockwork.), the powers all recharge just quick enough that if you're in a big group you can just constantly press 1234 until the groups are down, and in case you botch the AOE, you're third power is a Super Long Range Cone.
    Also, just from a purely asesthetic standpoint, since you're just whacking people with a stick, I don't feel as weird as when I'm slicing at human beings with a sword.
    The downside of course, is you're still a BreakDancing Fool. So this is really only a set for Small Fast Character , if you're into that Roleplaying nonsense.

So they're putzin' around with the hybrid slot on test. Actual mechanical changes are coming, but for now they are no longer basic toggles. Now they cost no endurance, wear off after two minutes, and have a two minute recharge that is (currently) unaffected by any sort of +recharge.

Don't start planning builds just yet.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    So they're putzin' around with the hybrid slot on test. Actual mechanical changes are coming, but for now they are no longer basic toggles. Now they cost no endurance, wear off after two minutes, and have a two minute recharge that is (currently) unaffected by any sort of +recharge.

Don't start planning builds just yet.

Isn't that just the same as having a no-endurance toggle, except you have to push the button every 2 minutes? Or does the cooldown not start until after it wears off?

There are no cooldowns in this game that start when the power is still going. So yeah, with currentHybrid you've got 50% uptime at best.

• kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    There are no cooldowns in this game that start when the power is still going. So yeah, with currentHybrid you've got 50% uptime at best.

That's assuming they remain toggles, though, instead of clicks.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

I thought that Hasten started recharging while it was active, as does Domination, also the assorted buffs/debuffs. That's what allows you to make them permanent. It's just that there are very few powers that have an extended duration effect that aren't toggles.
    I could be wrong, it's been a while since I strapped on the cape...

there are no toggles whose cooldowns start while they're running

on the other hand there are no toggles that have a hard limit on their duration

it doesn't sound like people are really clear yet on whether it's a click or a toggle or something different that works differently

NREqxl5.jpg
    edited April 2012
    there are no toggles whose cooldowns start while they're running

on the other hand there are no toggles that have a hard limit on their duration

it doesn't sound like people are really clear yet on whether it's a click or a toggle or something different that works differently

I get it. I think it works like Phase Shift (or whatever it's called now), which iirc is a toggle with a duration.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    The actual patch note:
    Hybrid powers no longer cost any Endurance to use.
    Instead, Hybrid powers can now be active for up to 120 seconds. After 120 seconds, they will shut off automatically. Hybrid powers have a 120 second recharge phase after they are de-toggled.

So currently they are toggles with a duration, much like phase shift.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2012
    Does Phase Shift actually detoggle itself, or does it just unphase after 30 seconds?

A duck! on
    It actually detoggles itself, yeah. All the phase powers do, including hibernate, that phase shift temp power and the kheld phase shifts.

oh, I guess I did forget about phase shift

whoops

NREqxl5.jpg
    Man, I've been chomping at the bit all weekend to finally get a chance to go see if the name is taken, and good news! It's not! For those of you still wanting to try Staff, but don't feel like being entirely creative, presenting, the Mob Boss of the entire Italian Sewer System:
    W3qQU.jpg

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Really clever name. :^:

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    Thank you for the laugh this morning. I needed it.

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    More changes to Hybrid!
    Hey guys and gals,

Thanks to all of you for your feedback on the Hybrid powers. There’s been a ton of feedback indicating preferences for how the slot should develop, and without that feedback I think this would have missed the mark of what you, the players, want from this slot. Fortunately, that’s what we have beta for.

Our initial intent with the End cost of the slots was to get across a “cooldown”-like feeling with these powers – you would run the toggle when you really wanted the effects of it for a burst of extra power, but your toolkit wouldn’t grow so much deeper on a permanent basis that regular game balance became impossible. I want to maintain that cooldown-like feel, and you guys have already seen what I’m planning on trying, since this mechanical change-up made it to Beta last week:

Hybrid toggles cost 0 endurance, down from .5/sec
    Hybrid toggles now have a 120 second recharge
    Hybrid toggles now have a maximum duration of 120 seconds
    Hybrid toggles now persist through any crowd control

What does that mean for the individual powers? It means they have to get awesome enough that they’re worth acquiring and using with that 50% uptime! As a brief aside, I know a number of you have argued for powers you don’t need to actively use. My reasoning for not making Hybrid a passive power in the style of Interface is twofold: I don’t think it’s particularly compelling gameplay to have things you don’t need to pay any attention to, and I don’t want this one slot to do as much for your power level as all four previous slots combined.
    Basically, when making any power, whether Incarnate or for a powerset, if we make that power passive it will be much less powerful than if we make it active and require concentration and skill to use advantageously. I want these powers to be awesome when you use them – thus, I don’t want them to be on all the time, forever. So, what’s in store for Hybrid now, and what will it look like after I’m done? Here’s what I’m looking at:

Support: This tree is has already seen its main structural change. As many of you correctly surmised, the individual benefit of any given power in this tree was extremely limited due to the power’s potential performance in league content. We’ve massively increased the benefit of any given power in this tree, and then set them up so that only the first 5 buffs on you stack at any given time. This lets us balance the tier 4 powers around what we want the maximum possible group benefit to be, making all of the Support powers significantly stronger on an individual basis and more viable as a “jack of all trades” Hybrid power.

Assault: Scaling with damage type on the buff as one moves up the tree just leaves too many character builds out in the cold. We’ll be scrapping this aspect of progression entirely – all tiers of this tree will affect all damage types. We’ll also be changing the Radial side of the tree to incorporate a new mechanic I’m calling “Doublehit” – this will make your damaging powers that are activated with Radial Assault active have a chance to strike again for a percentage of the base damage of the power. This side of the tree makes sense for characters whose Archetypes have low damage modifiers, or for characters who are already sitting at or near their damage caps.

Melee: Many players pointed out that their character who wants defense could ill-afford to enter close range to obtain the bonus from this slot. At tier 1, the core side of the tree will front-load a third of its protection, and the core side will front-load up to 3/4s of its protection at tier 4. The radial side of the tree will continue to scale with enemies in melee range, but will also add a minor taunt aura to help keep more enemies in melee range.

Control: The Core side of this tree will stay largely untouched, but the radial side of the tree is being completely overhauled. Instead of providing a Scourge mechanic, which is really not very related to Crowd Control capabilities, the radial side of the tree will instead provide a chance to Fear targets of any of your attacks while this ability is active. At tier 3, you will either be able to add a chance to Immobilize your victims as well (Total Radial) or add an Overpower-like proc to any attack you use (Partial Radial). Tier 4 Radial will have a high chance to Immobilize or Fear any target of an attack, as well as a guaranteed Stun on any target who is both Immobilized and Feared. This overhaul will allow even powerset combinations with no base crowd control to truly hybridize into Control while their ability is active.

All-in-all, these changes should help the Hybrid trees be more accessible to every Archetype, and help fulfill our design goal of allowing you either to specialize or to branch out from your core AT roles with these powers. I hope you’ve enjoyed this peak into our development process, and thanks to all of you who provided the constructive feedback necessary to make Hybrid the best it can be before it goes live.

I have no idea why it's not just a click now, but whatever. Let's play a game. It's called "guess why the forums are bitching about this." Answer below.
    THIS IS TOO MANY POWERS TO CLICK I DON'T WANT TO CLICK EVEN MORE.

I know. Oh God I know.

They have four more Incarnate slot types to develop, and they've pretty much played out all of the possible buff mechanics. I wonder what the other slots will be used for. Clickie AoE debuffs (Vitae)? A self-targeting rez/uberbuff (Genesis)? A fully appearance-customizable toggle pet/muse to push the Mastermind forum into nuclear meltdown (Mind)? Got nothing for the Omega slot; maybe just a second Alpha or Judgement.

So Hybrid gonna be aVIP thing like Incarnate, purchasable for general use or (least likely) free?

Also, keep giving us enough stuff and eventually someone's gonna be able to solo a GM.

newSig.jpg
    Which seems to ultimately be their plan in a weird way. The lore behind the Incarnate slots is essentially stating you'll become as powerful as States was by the time you have all the slots. The weird part behind that is that it almost seems to also be setting up the possibility for Semi-Retirement of a character. After all, once you can whomp on Kronos all you want, what else is there to do? Exploration Badges?

• kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    So Hybrid gonna be aVIP thing like Incarnate, purchasable for general use or (least likely) free?

Also, keep giving us enough stuff and eventually someone's gonna be able to solo a GM.

Uh, it's part of the Incarnate system. It's the next Incarnate slot.

Damn... Is my face red...

newSig.jpg
    People can already solo GMs. I think it's been possible ever since Invention sets came out.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I wonder if an Ill/Rad was able to do it before, even.

This discussion has been closed.