As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portal 2 - Rated E for Everyone With Parents - New easy map editor and Steam Workshop!

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Regarding the end of the game:
    I had no idea that I was actually supposed to shoot the moon when I did. It surprised me when it worked. Later I remembered that the conversion gel was made of moon dust.

Someone tell me that I wasn't the only one that impulsively shot the moon.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I feel like that would be passing over the gloriousness of
    Rick the Adventure Sphere. I almost let the neurotoxin kill me just to listen to that guy.

Iriah on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Iriah wrote: »
    Rick the Adventure Sphere. I almost let the neurotoxin kill me just to listen to that guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9jMq2-CxX0

Other 2 spheres are on youtube, too.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I am going to predict the new meme that emerges above all else will be
    The cake is in space

Watch and see people. That's the one.

From what I've seen, it looks like
    "How are you doing? Because I'm a potato,"
    seems to be repeated quite a bit.

It was probably my favorite bit of dialogue in the game.

Fuck you spell correct. I am not going to spell it "dialog."

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ross_C wrote: »
    As a mapper, the one thing that got to me smiling:
    Was Wheatley's Test Chambers. Valve was making allusions to the usual types of low quality maps that are made for their games. Poking fun at things like just getting two maps and putting them together, borrowing stuff from other maps, being repetitive, spelling things with props etc.
    Ha, I noticed all that stuff, but I didn't make the connection to poorly done fan-made content.
    They should of put in some out-of-context decals on the wall and also where it said "TEST" They should of put under it "BY WHEATLEY"

halkun on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who spells it dialog? Dumb people. That's who.

Jintor on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Taranis wrote: »
    I had no idea that I was actually supposed to shoot the moon when I did. It surprised me when it worked. Later I remembered that the conversion gel was made of moon dust.

I shot the moon within maybe a second of it showing up, totally on blind reaction.

It wasn't until maybe a full minute or two later I realized why that worked

Maddoc on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »

I shot the moon within maybe a second of it showing up, totally on blind reaction.

It wasn't until maybe a full minute or two later I realized why that worked

as did I. Saw it there and it was complete reaction.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game you guys. It's taken over my entire consciousness.

Someone shot a portal into my dreams.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One other thing I loved near the very end of the game:
    When Weatley is trying to convince you to kill yourself in the smasher, if you run in there he goes "Huh, I didn't think that would actually work."

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haha I loved the bit at the end
    With the moon.

At first I shot at it, saw the wink.

"What the fuck that doesn't even-ooooooooh shit moooonrocks!"

Verr on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't stop listening to the personality cores.

"Oh really, space? Really? You should've said something, we had no idea. You know what I hope's in space? Fire. I hope you go to space and you catch on fire."

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't stop listening to the personality cores.

"Oh really, space? Really? You should've said something, we had no idea. You know what I hope's in space? Fire. I hope you go to space and you catch on fire."
    Hey hey
    hey hey hey
    hey hey hey hey hey lady, lady
    Space

Maddoc on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So many of the different AIs cracked me up in the game, but the one I keep remembering is
    the defective turrets. So that's what happens when the transfer process for the gentle, happy AI goes wrong. You get a fast-talking, rude turret that "shoots blanks." During the TEMPLATE -- RESPONSE part, I just sat there watching the different responses of the defective turrets for a few minutes.

Also, regarding Cave Johnson:
    I was reading the previous thread last night and it seems like a lot of people were under the impression that he died in the 70s, but I'm almost positive that the last testing sphere was created in the 1980s.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, if the giant year numbers on the sides of buildings are to be believed, he died in the late 80s... about the time when I was born.

Hey guys

guys

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ross_C wrote: »
    As a mapper, the one thing that got to me smiling:
    Was Wheatley's Test Chambers. Valve was making allusions to the usual types of low quality maps that are made for their games. Poking fun at things like just getting two maps and putting them together, borrowing stuff from other maps, being repetitive, spelling things with props etc.
    Haha, I didn't notice that at all, but you're prolly right.

I rather like how Valve poked fun at it's own fanbase within the game. The Companion Cube test chamber, for example.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I briefly watched one of the old videos of Portal 2 yesterday, with the original Wheatley. It's funny, I didn't think it was a bad performance back then, but now it just seems so off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWp0D4-Y2Q

SteevL on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's actually a placeholder voice from one of Valve's animators.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Richard Lord, iirc.

"Some guy from the office" indeed.

Jintor on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Iriah wrote: »
    Holy shit, he has a black belt in kickpunching? That means his cyber-punches are as strong as kicks!

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope this hasn't been posted, but it might have been. But if not here:

It is spoiler'd now, but it uses Bills voice from L4D, and has nothing to do with the Portal story. There are also no tanks in Portal, sorry. I really didn't think this kind of excellence would happen so soon after launch, but it did, and it is fantastic.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Might wanna spoil that vid? Just to be on the safe side?

Also, damn. Second playthrough and I'm terribly paranoid that I'm missing dens.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh man, that is amazing.

" Bull frickin' horse shit! "

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned this... (finale spoiler)
    If you hold onto 'Rick' the Adventure Core for long enough, he begins to discuss one liners to say when you defeat Wheatly. Pop him on just before the timer hits zero and when you do get all the cores on he says it as a comeback response to something new that Wheatly says.

Karmond on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have all the achievements! If you're sore about there being no challenge maps, try some of the co-op achievements. They are challenging. Really quite challenging indeed.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope they stick with the far-future thing
    I really want to see what could come out of that. All this "not too far in the future" business is just so familiar by this point.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just want to know
    Where the quotes from the space sphere when he decides he's done with space and wants to go back to earth are in game, granted they made it in.

Winky on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Ending stuff
    This game was amazing, but I really wanted to see what the surface was like a little more, something about all Valve games just leave me with a desire to explore the world, they really do an amazing job with atmosphere and setting the tone of theirs games. I really don't think any other developer even comes close.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    I just want to know
    Where the quotes from the space sphere when he decides he's done with space and wants to go back to earth are in game, granted they made it in.

They didn't.

august on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Ending stuff
    This game was amazing, but I really wanted to see what the surface was like a little more, something about all Valve games just leave me with a desire to explore the world, they really do an amazing job with atmosphere and setting the tone of theirs games. I really don't think any other developer even comes close.
    The aliens fully conquer and enslave humanity, and turn the Earth's surface into one giant wheat field, cut into 1 mile squares with streams of nanobot-injected water. The world's orbit is changed slightly so that it is always summer everywhere, and every 6 months a spaceship about half the size of the moon collects all the wheat and portals away, most likely towards some massive food stockpile.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So was this the first Valve game to

(ending spoilers)
    show your character's arms and hands doing something other than hold a gun/melee weapon? When Chell gets knocked down by Wheatley's trap button, you see her arms sprawled out on the floor and move around as she reaches for the portal gun. I had just been thinking a few months ago about how other FPS games have been showing your character's arms doing stuff like this, but it had never been seen in a Valve game. I could be wrong, of course; but I just rewatched the ending of Episode 2 and that sort of thing didn't happen there.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Portal 2 credits song -
    Looks like someone did a version of Want You Gone more in the vein of Still Alive. I like it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcKWtyUBp8

Zerokku on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Just beat it. Pretty much exactly what I expected.
    No half-life tie-ins aside from aperture being 2nd to black mesa? BOGUS.

Congratulations! You get to go play again and look for stuff you missed!
    You can find the dry-dock the Borealis was kept (built?) in.

Echo on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Finished co-op, a lot of fun. Especially excursion funnels and light bridges were more amusing to employ in the co-op than SP.

Now to wait for some custom co-op campaigns after I play another run with dev comments sometime

Alegis on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SteevL wrote: »

(ending spoilers)
    show your character's arms and hands doing something other than hold a gun/melee weapon? When Chell gets knocked down by Wheatley's trap button, you see her arms sprawled out on the floor and move around as she reaches for the portal gun. I had just been thinking a few months ago about how other FPS games have been showing your character's arms doing stuff like this, but it had never been seen in a Valve game. I could be wrong, of course; but I just rewatched the ending of Episode 2 and that sort of thing didn't happen there.
    In either Half-Life 1 or 2 when you put the HEV suit on, I think Gordon holds up his hands to show that you are indeed wearing it. Don't quote me on this since it's been a long time since I've played either. It's not quite the same thing, but it's the only other weapon-less case in a valve game I can think of.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    This game just makes me want Episode 3 that much more, damn you portal.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Portal 2 credits song -
    Looks like someone did a version of Want You Gone more in the vein of Still Alive. I like it
    See, this seems pretty clear to me: GlaDOS never deleted Caroline, and she loves Chell like a daughter and wants her to live/be free. And maybe kick the ass out of Black Mesa or something.

But if Chell came back the hardwiring would require her to continue testing.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Credits song:
    She did say she deleted Caroline, but then again, she can be rather flexible with truth. Could be she said it just to make Chell get out of there.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Portal 2 credits song -

Haha, that's the same guy who did the "Asians in the library" song.

SteevL on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

(ending spoilers)
    In either Half-Life 1 or 2 when you put the HEV suit on, I think Gordon holds up his hands to show that you are indeed wearing it. Don't quote me on this since it's been a long time since I've played either. It's not quite the same thing, but it's the only other weapon-less case in a valve game I can think of.

Yeah, I was going to mention that too.
    It's in HL2. I don't think there's any animation for when you get the suit in HL1.

Peewi on