As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Use the new PSN down thread

1555657585961»

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the way I understand it, PSN+ users get some games free. I can't think of what games offhand, but I'm pretty sure that there are a few games that are gratis when you get a PSN+ account.

Given that pretty much everyone will be gutting PSN+ for everything they can when everything is back up, do you get to keep the free games after you no longer have a PSN+ account? I believe that I heard in the past that anything you got free from PSN+ went away after your subscription was up...

Any games or DLC that you download for free will expire when your PSN+ subscription expires, and won't be usable.

Any games or DLC that you buy at a discount is yours forever.

I think themes that you download for free stick with you too, but I can't remember.

SmokeStacks on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Which is why giving people a free trial of PSN is ridiculous, because it is just a way of Sony to try and make money off us.

LewieP on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    Which is why giving people a free trial of PSN is ridiculous, because it is just a way of Sony to try and make money off us.

Well, it costs money to completely re-write your security infrastructure in two weeks! Remember the golden rule: Fast, Cheap, Good, pick two!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They aren't a charity, plus you'll get some crappy PSN game for free as well. I hope you all like Calling All Cars.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Nobody said you have to buy anything from them. They've also said there there will be other compensation in the form of "entertainment products" forthcoming, so we haven't seen the whole picture yet.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you try and like the service, subscribe. If you don't like it, don't.
    No one is forcing you to do anything here.

Diarmuid on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Given the current situation what would you like to see happen, within reason (i.e. not like giving everyone a second PS3 for free or anything)

"Time traveling into the past to prevent the breach" is also not an option.

JAEF on
    edited May 2011
    Ok.

Sony are saying that this PS+ free trial is "an expression of the company’s appreciation for their [customers] patience, support and continued loyalty."

It fails at being that in my opinion.

Edit: I would like free identity fraud protection from Sony as a bare minimum to be satisfied. If they wanted to make me really happy, they'd offer me a refund on the console.

LewieP on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok.

Sony are saying that this PS+ free trial is "an expression of the company’s appreciation for their [customers] patience, support and continued loyalty."

It fails at being that in my opinion.

Edit: I would like free identity fraud protection from Sony as a bare minimum to be satisfied. If they wanted to make me really happy, they'd offer me a refund on the console.

A refund on the PS3 obviously is out of the question (and isn't even a reasonable request). I'm with you on identity theft protection of some kind, though. I don't really have a horse in this race (haven't bought a Sony product since the rootkit crap in 2005), but it distresses me to see Sony's customers getting the short end of the stick in all this.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011

Jesus guys, stop being greedy dicks for ten seconds and pay attention:

You're getting a free month of PSN+ because there are people who are paying for a service right now, and are unable to access it.

Sony already said that there would be other options made available for PSN members.

They aren't saying "Errybody gets a free month of Plus, yakkity schmakkity doo", they're saying "For the people who are upset about not being able to access the PSN+ that they're paying for, don't worry, you'll be comped an extra month, and so will everyone else, and all PSN members will get some more stuff in the future, we just don't know what yet".

I took a phone call while I was typing this, and when I got back I noticed that other people had said the same thing, only more eloquently, but still.

Right now you've got a company who has offered to reimburse people for the cost of changing their credit cards even though there is still no evidence that anyone's credit card information was compromised. That's a fairly generous gesture when you consider that plenty of companies would just say "You can't prove it, so fuck off, you're on your own".

But you dudes can whine about getting in on class action suits and getting refund on your PS3s all you like I guess. Some people wouldn't be satisfied unless Kaz Hirai personally came to their house and gave them a check for five hundred and ninety nine US dollars and then proceeded to make them breakfast.

SmokeStacks on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Given the current situation what would you like to see happen, within reason (i.e. not like giving everyone a second PS3 for free or anything)

"Time traveling into the past to prevent the breach" is also not an option.

Only because we can't get to the PS Store to download Back to the Future!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited May 2011
    My bank gave me a replacement card for free.

"Free stuff" isn't going to cut it really. I'm happy for you that you don't value your privacy, that's great, enjoy your free games.

Edit: I am not demanding, or even requesting a refund on the console, but if they offered one I would snap it up.

LewieP on
    edited May 2011
    I value my privacy. It's just that the entitlement complex I'm seeing from a lot of you is really immature.

SmokeStacks on
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So can we get into psn to change passwords now at least?

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I heard a guy yesterday who also wants a refund on his PS3, heh.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I value my privacy. It's just that the entitlement complex I'm seeing from a lot of you is really immature.

What's your address?

Would you post it publicly in exchange for a free game? I promise I won't mail you anything horrible.

LewieP on
    edited May 2011
    They lost more than just his address, man!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

What's your address?

Would you post it publicly in exchange for a free game? I promise I won't mail you anything horrible.

I'll say that you would have a point if Sony acted maliciously instead of merely incompetently.

CygnusZ on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm still betting that the PSN+ autorenews on your credit card.

Is this offer more or less offensive than the $5 in Mario Money that Nintendo gave out for playing Monopoly in the 80s?

LaPuzza on
    edited May 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

What's your address?

I'll say that you would have a point if Sony acted maliciously instead of merely incompetently.

They cut corners to save money. It's maliciousness via greed.

LewieP on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

What's your address?

Maybe it's different in the UK, but I feel like names and addresses are already pretty public information. If you know somebody's name there's a darn good chance that a service like whitepages.com has you in their phonebook already. And honestly, it's just a bigger version of the big phonebook that still gets dropped on my step once a year. Hell, once you know my name you can figure out my address and phone number, and with my address you can figure out how much I paid for my house. More people having my address isn't a huge deal to me.

The only part of this that is genuinely bothersome to me is that people's passwords and credit card numbers were stolen. And those are both changeable and credit card companies (if this thread is any indication) are pretty darn on-the-ball with regard to reversing fraudulent charges and issuing new numbers and cards.

As to free PSN+, if Stacking is still available for free I'll play that for free and have fun with it. It didn't really seem like a game you'd play more than once anyhow. And since I'm not jumping ship maybe I'll jump on a sale. I already buy stuff on PSN - it'd be great to get a discount for a while without paying for PSN+.

Yeah, it sucks that people's information was stolen, but you can't seriously expect Sony to say "you know, we screwed up. If you don't want a PS3 anymore we'll buy them all back for $400 a pop." It's unreasonable. I do think it'd be nice for them to spring for credit protection for everybody, but it seems like most CC banks already are up-to-snuff enough that you don't really need it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

What's your address?

They cut corners to save money. It's maliciousness via greed.

There's a difference between malice and mistake. I don't think somebody sat in a board room at Sony and said "PSN security is pretty balls, but it'll cost money to make it better. Let's just leave it alone and hope really hard that nobody ever attacks us."

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011

What's your address?

E. Cooper
    2160 S Five Mile Rd, RM 4
    Boise, Idaho

I'm doing contract work out of state for a couple more weeks, so I'm renting a room in a retrofitted schoolhouse that was built around a hundred years ago.

There are Studebakers in the backyard.

The email address I used was a spoof, and you can see my PSN name by clicking over by my avatar.

So now that you've got my information, which is the same information the hacker(s) got, are you going to give me a free game, a refund on my PS3 purchase, and a piece of a class action settlement?

SmokeStacks on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ummmmmmmm

Ummmmmmmmmmmm

SmokeStacks that is ridiculously stupid.

MechMantis on
    edited May 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Ummmmmmmm

Ummmmmmmmmmmm

SmokeStacks that is ridiculously stupid.

Really? Anybody with a resume online has enough info on it to get your address.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You still actually have to go look for the address.

I mean, just posting it out there is just begging for trouble.

MechMantis on
    edited May 2011
    That's true. Someone might drive by and egg the place.

Man, that would be terrible.

SmokeStacks on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So now that you've got my information, which is the same information the hacker(s) got, are you going to give me a free game, a refund on my PS3 purchase, and a piece of a class action settlement?

Not to heap fuel on the fire (and I realize this isn't what LewieP asked for), but if we're talking about the information the hackers got we're also going to need your password, email address, secret question and answer.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One morning I stepped outside to find that my curb-parked car had an egg thrown at the window. One egg. I flicked the shell off and continued with my life.

JAEF on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I remember one time Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame published his bank details in his weekly column to try and play down the paranoia identity theft.

He lost like £5,000.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited May 2011
    You forgot to post your date of birth!

Did security questions and answers get leaked?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I remember one time Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame published his bank details in his weekly column to try and play down the paranoia identity theft.

He lost like £5,000.

Man I remember that, it was so funny, as was his response afterwards.

I love his sensationalist anti-sensationalism articles.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He's right to a point.

Your information was gone years ago... junk mail advertisers and phone book companies made a living out of having your shit well before the internet. the internet just made it easier.

The only part where SmokeStacks is incorrect is in believing a spoof address will keep him safe. The issue with spoof addresses is at some point you had to give up a real address to get it. That will surface if you search with brute force.

useless4 on
    edited May 2011

He lost like £5,000.

Man I remember that, it was so funny, as was his response afterwards.

I love his sensationalist anti-sensationalism articles.

lifelockceoad338.jpg

We can't forget the LifeLock guy.

He's had his identity stolen thirteen times, which is an impressively small number when you consider the fact that he put his SSN on the side of a billboard truck.

SmokeStacks on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow. I never would have guessed we'd need another thread for this, but here we are.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=19137946#post19137946

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293