As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEλM] - Cthulhu Saves the World is Coming to Steam

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm. so dilemma of sorts. have an amazon gift card for 25 bucks. was originally thinking I would use it on portal 2 since I had just finished the first. Then i realized hey Brink is coming out soon and it is also a steam works game. maybe i should use it on that and actually get in on the front end of a mega multiplayer game before people stop playing. though i did that with MNC and people stopped playing almost right away.

I think i am leaning towards Brink since I would imagine Portal 2 would end up reduced a lot sooner than Brink would.

I was hoping that amazon would have one of those bonus buck type things that would give me money for buying brink, but its only a bonus item thing now. boo-urns

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mts wrote: »
    Hmm. so dilemma of sorts. have an amazon gift card for 25 bucks. was originally thinking I would use it on portal 2 since I had just finished the first. Then i realized hey Brink is coming out soon and it is also a steam works game. maybe i should use it on that and actually get in on the front end of a mega multiplayer game before people stop playing. though i did that with MNC and people stopped playing almost right away.

I think i am leaning towards Brink since I would imagine Portal 2 would end up reduced a lot sooner than Brink would.

I was hoping that amazon would have one of those bonus buck type things that would give me money for buying brink, but its only a bonus item thing now. boo-urns

Yeah. Be wary of that one thing right there. I pre-ordered ETQW, Splash Damages last game. It still burns (I like the game) that the community just disintegrated practically over night. It's one of the reasons I'm extremely wary of Brink. The fact that SD doesn't have a solid player base ravenous for a new game, and are doing so much experimental stuff makes the game risky to pre-order in my opinion. Also, there is an almost complete absence of any kind of hard information and media about the PC version. That alone is enough to make me cautious.

Drake on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    but but... parkour

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AuburnTiger, I love you so much right now.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd actually say that Brink is more likely to be discounted quickly, since it is available on a far wider range of DD places.

Edit: I've not played Portal 2 (Thanks PSN) but the bit of Brink I have played was lots of fun.

LewieP on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    on the other hand, Dead Space 2 multiplayer is still fairly vibrant if you play at the right times.

being a lurker is addictive as hell. :D
    yes, i'm bitter that there hasn't been a weekend sale. :(

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But if you wait too long with multiplayer games you might miss the fun bus. ET: Quake Wars was more fun at the start I believe.

Alegis on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    on the other hand, Dead Space 2 multiplayer is still fairly vibrant if you play at the right times.

Actually, I just recently picked it up on the cheap in-store. But I'm on the PC and in the UK, so I'm not sure how well that fits in with your constant constant constant campaigning. :P

subedii on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    subedii wrote: »

Actually, I just recently picked it up on the cheap in-store. But I'm on the PC and in the UK, so I'm not sure how well that fits in with your constant constant constant campaigning. :P

WOO!

let me know when you want to try out the multi, i'll show you the ropes.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And by "the ropes" he means "what the death screen looks like, sucka!"

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    And by "the ropes" he means "what the death screen looks like, sucka!"

that's part of the strategy, though, if you're on the necro side.

your (un?)life is cheap, and spent gladly in the service of slicing up humans. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I just caught a Quck Look of The Next Big Thing, and I was wondering if anyone in this thread had bothered to play it

Is it any good? It seems real funny and decently structured, but I rarely play modern adventure games

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    P.Y.T.P.Y.T. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I WAS going to finally start playing Dawn of War II, but when the game launched it would have me update Games for Windows Live and restart the game, only for it to require another update and restart once the game booted up again. I did it again, another update/restart required. I quit trying after that and just gave up on the idea of playing.

Why do developers continue to use this awful service again?

P.Y.T. on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    in the case of DoW 2 - they don't. The latest stand-alone expansion is steamworks instead of GFWL

Alegis on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    P.Y.T. wrote: »
    I WAS going to finally start playing Dawn of War II, but when the game launched it would have me update Games for Windows Live and restart the game, only for it to require another update and restart once the game booted up again. I did it again, another update/restart required. I quit trying after that and just gave up on the idea of playing.

Some of them have stopped. DoW 2 Retribution is Steamworks.

Peewi on
  • Options
    P.Y.T.P.Y.T. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    in the case of DoW 2 - they don't. The latest stand-alone expansion is steamworks instead of GFWL

That's great to hear.

P.Y.T. on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

That's great to hear.

It's pretty telling that re-writing the multiplayer architecture and splitting the multiplayer playerbase whilst we're half-way through the series was considered the best case scenario, compared to simply leaving GFWL in there.

subedii on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

If it's the same problem I'm thinking of, trying using Windows Update to update GFWL.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Plain Sight is pretty neat.

Does anyone play it? I've always been a little intrigued but buying small multiplayer games that I don't have much time to play is always a gamble, because I might get in the mood to play a round or two and nobody will be on line.

WARNING

As far as I know, their authentication servers are as dead as disco. Meaning you can't register your game.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Although DoW 2 and chaos rising remain GFWL. But retribution is steamworks, which is where the multiplayer happens.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    subedii wrote: »

That's great to hear.

It's pretty telling that re-writing the multiplayer architecture and splitting the multiplayer playerbase whilst we're half-way through the series was considered the best case scenario, compared to simply leaving GFWL in there.

Didn't Relic split the CoH playerbase with the latest expansion as well?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No, the CoH playerbase isn't split with Tales of Valor. Although ToV has some 'operations' play modes that are only for Tales of Valor gamers, but no one plays those operations. Standard skirmish is same as before.

Are you talking of Company of Heroes: Online (now defunct)?

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Download the client and install it outside of the game. Be sure to grab the 3.2 and 3.4 updates linked on the bottom of that page.

This takes out a lot of the pain of GFWL.

Drake on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Holy crap Arma II is cheap.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Holy crap Arma II is cheap.
    I watched it during a sale. And played it a few times, but there didn't seem to be many good servers.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    How is the level editor for Arma II. I'm a sucker for those.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Arma II is bought. It's got lazers, right?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If you're going to buy Arma I strongly recommend buying Combined Operations, which is a bundle of the base game and its expansion, Operation Arrowhead. Most servers you'll find are running CO these days because OA adds a lot of functionality to the game and is required by most of the mods that people use.

Also holy shit Arma is awesome do I need to post a rant about it again?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I bought it based on one of those rants, fully intending to play it

And like most things I buy and fully intend to play, I haven't yet

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That's all good Yod. But I'm gonna wait to get Operation Arrowhead. A better price is just down the road yonder.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    That's all good Yod. But I'm gonna wait to get Operation Arrowhead. A better price is just down the road yonder.

Lowest price I've seen for it is I think $20.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Which, if any, of the ArmA2 DLCs are recommended?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A rant may convince me on why I might want to part with my 8 american dollars for this game.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A rant may convince me on why I might want to part with my 8 american dollars for this game.

This. Also how is the multiplayer? Cool dudes to shoot mans with or elitist douche bags?

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    If you're going to buy Arma I strongly recommend buying Combined Operations, which is a bundle of the base game and its expansion, Operation Arrowhead. Most servers you'll find are running CO these days because OA adds a lot of functionality to the game and is required by most of the mods that people use.

Also holy shit Arma is awesome do I need to post a rant about it again?

Is combined operations just the two bundled together because here in the UK it's cheaper to buy them separately than together here in the UK.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No!

So I finally received my Portal 2 poster from the Valve store today, and just my luck, they sent me the wrong one. I still love Valve, but this really saddens me because I was looking forward to hanging it up as soon as I got it. Hopefully anyone else who purchased something Portal 2 related got the right thing.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    God this fucking server bug has killed my rant post three times. D:

You can buy OA separate from Arma and they will combine just fine. Pretty sure you can get a non-steam version of OA to work as well.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    that's why I often use firefox, chrome eats the posts D:

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Have you ever played Call of Duty and gotten frustrated with the complete lack of teamwork, said 'fuck this I'm gonna play Battlefield', and moved on?

Then as you're playing Battlefield you say to yourself 'wait a second this makes no goddamn sense how do the Americans keep spawning tanks out of nowhere? why do they somehow get 500 respawns? why don't they just field a company of marines?'

Arma is the game for you. It is built on the core engine used in an infantry simulator that the military uses for training. It is extremely realistic, including things like weapon ballistics (you have to adjust your fire depending on range, and knowing how makes you effective with your SAW at 300m+ and your Barrett at 1km+), sound (if you shoot a guy a mile away with a .50-cal, he gets hit before anyone hears anything, and his buddies hear the sound of the bullet about a second before they hear the sound of the rifle), equipment (nightvision gets blinded by explosions and bright lights, the backblast from an AT4 can kill you, etc) and many more.

It is at its heart a team-based multiplayer game. The vast majority of people I think play it in co-op settings but the only difference between vs and co-op is which sides have human players. A typical mission that I have played in will have a set number of player slots, say two fire teams of 4 and a squad leader element for 10 guys. The game starts with each player 'slotting' into one of those roles such as fireteam leader, automatic rifleman, medic, etc. These roles are sorta like classes but primarily they define what equipment you start with. Once everyone is slotted you move to the briefing screen where the team leader will jot down notes on the map.

Oh wait I guess I should talk about the map. Here is an example. Each of the small squares on that map is 100m across and you can travel everywhere you can see, though individual missions can be set to restrict the available areas.

So back to the map briefing. The team leader (or anyone else really) can set down notes on the map such as 'RP ALPHA' 'EGRESS HERE' 'EVAC POINT' etc to tell the team where they need to go. You can lay down dots on the roads to indicate a plan of movement, arrows to indicate ambush positions, anything really. The TL then gives a briefing of his plan and makes sure everyone knows who their FTL is etc.

Then you go, someone fires a shot off early alerting the enemy to your location, you sprint like hell to the chopper and someone flies it into a tree while you're running away. This is the best part really because it's so goddamn hilarious to just fail utterly.

The missions can be extremely complicated or very simple. One favorite of mine starts the team off at night after they have all bailed out of a chopper. You spawn in a random location in a zone about 1km across, usually it'll be on a forested hill. You play it on the mode that doesn't give you a GPS so you need to orient yourself using your map (to find the tallest hill and coordinate them to their map positions a la real life orienteering with a compass) and the burning wreckage of the chopper. Then each player needs to reach a rendezvous point so they can link up with the rest of the team. Then the team needs to move west to an enemy outpost where they can steal a chopper and make a break for it. Meanwhile the enemy is patrolling the woods and, if you engage with unsilenced weapons (you have one silenced MP5 among you) they track you down and try to take you out. So you're moving through the woods, in the dark, unsure if the guy you see at the top of the hill is an enemy or a friendly, unsure if you're walking right into an enemy patrol. You sneak up to the base and designate the AA targets so that your air support can take them out with AGMs, followed by taking out the tank and APCs wandering around. You lay down a base of fire to support the pilot running to the chopper and getting it going and then bug the fuck out.

The game has a massive variety of weapons and vehicles. There is an 'armory' mode where you can try them out as the game randomly spawns objectives for you, so you can get a clue about flying a Little Bird and how it's different from flying a Blackhawk. And I'm talking absurd variety, like differences in barrel lengths of M4 variants having an impact on your range adjustments.

The game is also extremely moddable. At its most basic this means you can build missions with a very versatile scripting ability, letting you build whole campaigns with real plot and a lot of set-piece and randomly-generated battles. But also you can add new units and weapons and factions (and people have, boy howdy) and also change the way the rules work. For instance most people who are into realism run a mod called Advanced Combat Environment that adds a ton of shit and is somewhat similar to Project Reality for BF2. I could list a ton of things but here's a few and a video: working bipods, earplugs, medical system, backpacks, adjustable range settings for arcing weapons like mortars and grenade launchers, FLIR systems for aircraft, UAVs, really cool stuff. Not everything is perfect but in total it really adds to the experience.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLTfvS5FFTI&feature=related

Another mod that the group I play with uses is called ACRE, don't remember what it stands for but it's a radio mod. What it does is take you off of the problematic-but-easy 'everyone on the team is in the same vent channel' method that is pretty traditional but obviously gets in the way of things. It's a mod for Arma and a plugin for Teamspeak 3 that makes it so that you have two ways of communicating: via equippable radios (that you can change the frequencies for, equip more than one, and they behave realistically including maximum range and interference from buildings and hills) and 'direct sound' like used in Socom 3 where you just talk and anyone nearby can hear you, including the enemy. Everyone sits in the same TS channel and the plugin sets it up so you only hear what is broadcast on your radio frequency. It's a bit of a hassle but is so amazing when it works that I can't imagine playing without it now.

So basically that is it. It's a very realistic game for those of us who like very realistic things, but it's not so overdone with realism that you can't play at all. It supports TrackIR and FreeTrack, multiple monitor setups, and any controller inputs you happen to have including joysticks or 360 controllers or whatever. NaS I think flies with TrackIR and a HOTAS setup that I'm just insanely jealous of. We used to have a PA group that played and had hilarious shenanigans all the fucking time and I'd really like to get that going again.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.