Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Flashpoint : Age of Zoompocalypse

BlankzillaBlankzilla The Year 198XBeing Xtreme to the MaxxRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
FLASHPOINT
flashpoint-01.jpg
A 5-issue event miniseries by Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert, Flashpoint will showcase a shockingly changed DC Universe. In the wake of Professor Zoom altering the events of the past, the world's greatest superheroes never came to be. That's not to say Batman, Wonder Woman and others don't exist, they are just...different. Barry Allen may be the only person on Earth who remembers how the world should be, and he is the only hope to save it. Johns has described the series as a 'Flash and Batman' story at its core.

WHO'S WHO IN THE-OH GOD WONDER WOMAN WHAT ARE YOU WEARING

One of Flashpoint's biggest draws is the reimagining of the DC character catalog, but there are a lot of changes. Behind the spoiler is a summary of most of the known characters and what has changed about them.
Spoiler:
THE MINIS
This is the real meat of the event. Over a dozen miniseries that are essentially Elseworlds tales about iconic DC characters. Notably, Johns has said the main series will be entirely self-contained so no Green Lantern/Blackest Night crossover silliness.
Spoiler:

These are one-shots that come out in June
Spoiler:

Flash 9-12 will lead in to the event with The Flash itself being cancelled with issue 12.

ISSUE 1 COMES OUT MAY 11TH

Blankzilla on

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That.... is a butload Flashpoint titles. I don't really read much DC universe stuff but I wouldn't mind checking out Citizen Cold. Always loved seeing a villains alternate-universe hero-self.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 I told her on Alderaan nothing else was going on.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well. More Frankenstein I suppose, sure. I'm game enough for that.

Anyone got a holy clue what the Canterbury Cricket is?

bqv5944776sm.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Oh, no. And that's that.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone got a holy clue what the Canterbury Cricket is?

I guess Martian Manhunter. Ambush Bug is too obvious.

ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did anyone read the Zoom issue of Flash? I bought it. I know I did. But it disappeared somewhere and I never got to read it. I dug through a ton of stacks of comics and I have no idea where it wandered off to. Was it important to Flashpoint?

BN_Sig3.jpg
  • KeithKeith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Did anyone read the Zoom issue of Flash? I bought it. I know I did. But it disappeared somewhere and I never got to read it. I dug through a ton of stacks of comics and I have no idea where it wandered off to. Was it important to Flashpoint?

As of right now I'd say not really. It shows how Zoom can/has changed timelines, but it was mostly an origins issue for him.

7LmZWpZ.jpg
    Steam | 3DS: 3497-0691-2891
    edited April 2011
    I didn't like the latest issue of The Flash because Kid Flash wanted to help Barry and Hot Pursuit but HP was like "nooo you could erase yourself out of existence messing with the timelines" and Bart didn't go all "jokes on you dick, I'm immune to that shit"

I hope it's just that he doesn't know he's immune to it instead of them forgetting about that aspect of the character (and then probably saying he lost that when he died)

7LmZWpZ.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been wondering what this Flashpoint hullabaloo was all about so thanks OP. Now I must say that it really doesn't look very interesting at all.

steam_sig.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If Citizen Cold is Central City's hero, what does Hot Pursuit do?

3DS Code: 5327 0939 3320
    steam.php?id=tychokepler&pngimg=shiny&tborder=0
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla The Year 198X Being Xtreme to the MaxxRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hot Pursuit isn't from the Flashpoint timeline, he's from another universe.

edited May 2011
    I take it Ardian Syaf went to the Kubert School, because he's been drawing in a much more Kubert style recently. They even had him copy Adam Kubert's style for a scene in Action #900.

I really thought that was a Kubert Aquaman.

ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really want this to end with Booster Gold showing up with one of those drinks with an umbrella in them, looking around, and slapping his head.

Then, the next panel, everything is back to normal and nobody knows what happened.

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I take it Ardian Syaf went to the Kubert School, because he's been drawing in a much more Kubert style recently. They even had him copy Adam Kubert's style for a scene in Action #900.

I really thought that was a Kubert Aquaman.

Wow, it really does look that way, especially in the face, just the angle it's drawn at and shape of the mouth. That being said, I've always liked Kuberts style. His run on Ultimate X-men was favourite of mine.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wodner Woman conquered Britain huh

She should be glad this is not the Marvel Universe. Captain Britian would stop her in her tracks, god dammit!

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm sure Beefeater did all he could.

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    God damn, I just looked at the Flashpoint checklist and realized that there are 22 tie-ins coming out in June alone.

That's like. Woah.

pygsig.png
    edited May 2011
  • RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How do you find this shit, Keith?

ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
    edited May 2011
    That is beautiful, Keith. Just beautiful.

And I guess I meant 22 titles total, not 20. And I guess that's not really new information, either, but still, I was taken aback going through that checklist. Guess the word is that none of them are "essential" in the way the Green Lantern chapters were to Blackest Night, though?

pygsig.png
    edited May 2011
    They've said Booster Gold is pretty essential. Well, Johns and Jurgens have, who knows if that's beyond an attempt for sales boosts.

And to follow that logic the Kid Flash one should be as well, since Bart will still remember. The only other one I could see is maybe the Reverse Flash mini?

ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This event sounds like something I could get into since it's pretty much an AU story. Won't bother with any of the tie-ins though but might read Flash: Rebirth and the most recent Flash book before hand.

What is best in life?
    edited May 2011
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    This event sounds like something I could get into since it's pretty much an AU story. Won't bother with any of the tie-ins though but might read Flash: Rebirth and the most recent Flash book before hand.

I don't know if AU is the right way to think about this, as they're saying over and over that it's going to have pretty serious ramifications for the DCU moving forward. (I mean, of course they are, but still.)

pygsig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Taking Flashpoint as an AU and then skipping all the tie-ins seems like kind of missing the point to me. Once Barry arrives in the core book, all the fun of the alternate timeline will begin to mingle with the standard stuff and the existing continuity. It seems like the real appeal of the alternate timeline would be seeing the vastly different stories of these characters before Barry gets there to set things straight. It's especially true for the books with solid creators (Kollins, Bedard, Azarello, Snyder, Lemire, Palmiotti, Milligan, Gates, DnA, and maybe Robinson if he's having a good week).

edited May 2011
    Agreed. But, since that's the case, it does kind of suck that there are so many minis to think about. Even if they all ended up being awesome, there's no way I could afford them all.

pygsig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Agreed. But, since that's the case, it does kind of suck that there are so many minis to think about. Even if they all ended up being awesome, there's no way I could afford them all.

Yep. I may be able to get one or two. But I hope they get collected like the blackest night minis did, where there are 3-4 to a book.

edited May 2011
    So Wonder Woman gets her silly hat from Flashpoint Mera, I guess. An interesting twist.

edited May 2011
    Anyone pick up the preview? It was pretty neat. Narrated by Flashpoint Batman.

• BlankzillaBlankzilla The Year 198X Being Xtreme to the MaxxRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I find it kind of weird that the big two Summer events are being described the same way by their writers. Matt Fraction has said that Fear Itself is, at it's heart, a Thor/Captain America story and Johns has said that Flashpoint is a Flash/Batman story.

edited May 2011
    This Sterling Gates interview about Kid Flash makes it seem like he's going to do a rewrite of Bart's time immunity. Just because the future of this alternate world changes shouldn't create a Back to the Future situation, since his parents should have never existed after Zero Hour but they just used some planet #xxxx to switch it around to work.

ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
    edited May 2011
    This is floating out there now, the last page to Flashpoint #1 (kind of big spoiler).....
    Spoiler:

quick google search has this as the first hit, with image. It looks authentic.

ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Cap's Kooky Quartet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That doesn't seem like a very exciting way to end the first issue.

2qt8f2t.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Trust me, it was a great way to end the issue.

PSN; AlbertBOMB
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoiler:

ultimates-1.png
    edited May 2011
    So, Issue 1.

I liked it, it wasn't bad. Flashpoint Batman definitely feels different than DCU Batman, and Cyborg is pretty great. Everyone else was kinda meh, except for the Agents of S.H.A.Z.A.M. who are awesome. The things I really enjoyed are:
    Spoiler:
    I think Johns spent a little too much time focusing on Barry's family, but hopefully that won't happen in the future issues.

edited May 2011
    I wonder if it'll play up
    Spoiler:

7LmZWpZ.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited May 2011
    Bat Punisher

PSN; AlbertBOMB
    edited May 2011
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited May 2011
    Spoiler:

PSN; AlbertBOMB
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Andy Kubert's art was fantastic in this issue. Hopefully it will stay just as strong for the remainder. Andy, unfortunately, has a tendency to get behind and then rush, and his rushed artwork isn't very good.

BN_Sig3.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If S.H.A.Z.A.M became the new status quo, I'd actually care about Captain Marvel.