As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flashpoint : Age of Zoompocalypse

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    where did antarctica go

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    where did antarctica go
    Justice League Antarctica were really bad at their jobs.

Munch on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Booster Gold sold out (Ba-dump chh)

that is a little surprisingly honestly.

Maybe the series will keep on going through September after all.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did - did Diana melt the British Isles??

Wildcat on
    edited May 2011
    Judging from the coastlines on the edge of the war zone

it's more likely that Arthur flooded them

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Map of the World of Flashpoint:
    flashpointmapv6.jpg
    What the fuck happened to Alaska

Nazis, really? Really? Couldn't go with something a little more original? Beatriz makes the whole country the center of modeling for the world, where their biggest exports are runways and high heels?

Other than that the map is neat, they could have had Canada do something, have it be all Quebec or New Montana.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    Except that Brazil and South America in general are well known stomping grounds of ex Nazis post WWII.

Plus modeling? Really? You think that would work in the hellhole that is Flashpoint earth

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    I get the idea of ex nazis being in South America, but this goes back to my point that comics need to really scale back nazis. WWII era stories only, for a minimum of 5 years.

And you're saying giant talking gorillas can take over Africa and that's no problem, and zombies can live in alaska, but a country full of models breaks the the suspension of disbelief? Preposterous, I say preposterous, sir!

TexiKen on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Judging from the coastlines on the edge of the war zone

it's more likely that Arthur flooded them

But there's increased land area where the Irish Sea should be.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2011
    Really gonna have to disagree on the Nazis.

They really don't show up ALL the time.

The only really prominent showing I can think of is Fear Itself. The closest behind that is that group of Neo Nazis that the JSA had to fight when they were relaunched.

This isn't counting any minor appearances by skinheads or whatever in Captain America and the such.

Nazis are a perfect villain, no one in their right mind would sympathize with them. They are the ultimate icon of just pure evil. Plus, comics is really the only medium where they can still show up in modern times(usually with hilarious results ala THE TOWN WHERE EVERYONE WAS HITLER).

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nazis show up pretty often in Cap books, and now in Fear Itself, but I sort of like the DC Nazis a little better as villains. I mean, the Fourth Reich led by Captain Nazi and Vandal Savage, with names like Baroness Blitzkrieg and Reichsmark. Those are just pure golden age cheese type characters that work more as a commentary on comic books than as actual nazi-type dudes.

Beyond that, if Brazil is actually handled as a country that has been under nazi rule for 60 years, that could be pretty interesting.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2011
    I guess people are getting angry because Africa is labelled "ruled by apes"

I think accusations of racism are a little silly considering it is being ruled by a psychic gorilla whose seat of power is an invisible sci-fi city of talking gorillas

but unless Asia simply united to form a massive supercountry "Capital of Asia" is a little wrong, yeah

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like how, even in a dystopian nightmare realm, nothing interesting is happening in Australia.

I wonder how Zoom changed everything. I'd assume that all he did was prevent the Flashes from getting their powers, which would prevent Garrick from affecting the conclusion of WW II and possibly catalyze everything else. Since Barry isn't Flash, he's no longer Zoom's enemy, and therefore there's no reason to kill his mom. If Barry chooses to oppose Zoom, though, then he becomes Zoom's enemy again and signs away his mother's life.

Still, given how fucked up everything is, it's possible that he just traveled through time punching historical figures in the nuts until everything became suitably fucked up.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2011
    Well we know that he
    pushed Bruce into the path of the mugger's bullet or something similar.

Judging from the cast, he also changed the path of Superman's pod and saved Abin Sur's life.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Yeah
    It seems more like it's been Zoom changing tons of things. His kind of new found powers really push for something like that, and it makes the stakes of the event and how to solve it that much higher.

We know that Zoom needs Barry alive to maintain the negative speed force. Even though Barry didn't have speed in the first issue, I bet he's still somehow fundamental to the existence of the Speed Force, and therefore still somehow has to be left alone by Zoom.

Honestly, I am so excited for this event. Johns is really good at building up the evil-counterpoint style enemies, but I think he's done better than ever with making Zoom a massive, terrifying threat. Sinestro's honor is great, Superboy Prime's meta-commentary was... uhh... interesting, and I haven't gotten through Aquawar yet, but Zoom is just outright terrifying, immoral and powerful.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2011
    I am liking Flashpoint more than I thought I would.

We will see if Johns falls into his recent ruts or if he pulls out some of the old magic that he used to have.

I'm limiting myself to 3 miniseries, but I'm picking up the Green Arrow, Grodd and Cantebury Cricket one-shots.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    I'm going to try and follow a similar path.

What three are you planning on getting, blank?

I'm going for Batman, and then probably also for Superman and Aquaman. I'm also considering Kid Flash and Wonder Woman in place of one of those others. I'll probably grab a couple of the one shots, but not all of them. The only one I'm really excited for is Reverse Flash.

If the trades collect 3 minis each like the Blackest Night ones do, I would seriously consider getting most of or all of the minis as trades. Especially if they're collected by theme (i.e., European Front, DC Heroes, Monsters & Magic, etc).

Are the Flashpoint tie-ins going digital? If I get some extra cash I may pick up another mini and the other one-shots that way.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2011
    Wait, here's something

We forgot that DC grouped the tie-ins together into story themes when they first announced them. I bet the trades will be very similar to these six categories:

Whatever Happened to Gotham City?

FLASHPOINT: BATMAN KNIGHT OF VENGEANCE #1-#3
    FLASHPOINT: DEADMAN AND THE FLYING GRAYSONS #1-#3

Whatever Happened to the World’s Greatest Super Villains?

FLASHPOINT: CITIZEN COLD #1-#3
    FLASHPOINT: DEATHSTROKE & THE CURSE OF THE RAVAGER #1-#3
    FLASHPOINT: THE OUTSIDER #1-#3

Whatever Happened to the Aliens?

FLASHPOINT: ABIN SUR THE GREEN LANTERN #1-#3
    FLASHPOINT: PROJECT: SUPERMAN #1-#3

Whatever Happened to Science & Magic?

FLASHPOINT: FRANKENSTEIN & THE CREATURES OF THE UNKNOWN #1-#3
    FLASHPOINT: SECRET SEVEN #1-#3

Whatever Happened to Europe?

FLASHPOINT: EMPEROR AQUAMAN #1-#3
    FLASHPOINT: WONDER WOMAN AND THE FURIES #1-#3
    FLASHPOINT: LOIS LANE AND THE RESISTANCE #1-#3

Everything You Know Will Change in a Flash

FLASHPOINT: KID FLASH LOST #1-#3
    FLASHPOINT: THE WORLD OF FLASHPOINT #1-#3

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2011
    I'm picking up Batman, Aquaman and Lois Lane. That way I get the 3 big points of interest in the world. Batman is the biggest supporting character, and the war between Aquaman and Wonder Woman is the big conflict.

I chose Lois over Wonder Woman because it is written by the same guys, covers the same setting and I don't really like Wonder Woman.

Plus it looks like Lois joins up with John Constantine's magical resistance fighters which is fantastic

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    I am very interested in Cantebury Cricket

I have a fondness for inhuman characters. I like dudes like King Shark and Gates from Legion of Superheroes. So the fact that he is a giant bugman who may talk with a british accent and is a member of a team of bug-themed characters is very interesting to me.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Maybe I will grab all the one shots, but my fear is that they will end up tying into other, tangentially related books.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2011
    I don't think Grodd will, he hasn't been mentioned in anything else.

Cricket might share a bit with Lois Lane and Green Arrow Industries might be used in Hal Jordan since the nuke Hal has is called Green Arrow.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    I looked up DC's digital policy.

Every Flashpoint title is going up a month late. Poking around Comixology, I noticed that all the month delayed DC books are a dollar cheaper in digital form.

So I might get a couple more minis digitally, in that case.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2011
    Booster Gold was a very good issue for establishing the USA in Flashpoint. Cyborg is government sanctioned, the military are not completely incompetent like they have to be in the regular DC world (or Marvel world, for that matter), and it looks like it will tie into Project: Superman.

TexiKen on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Booster Gold was a very good issue for establishing the USA in Flashpoint. Cyborg is government sanctioned, the military are not completely incompetent like they have to be in the regular DC world (or Marvel world, for that matter), and it looks like it will tie into Project: Superman.

DC tried this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Defense_Corps

Of course, it sold four copies.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I read that mini when it came out and really liked it. I just liked how you had the 4 branches of the military and then you also had this other version to deal with meta problems too, and it was so seemless.

They have an occult corps, Little Sure Shot from Easy Company showed up, and they had training exercises with scientists from Gorilla City.

Man, I loved the 2000-2004 era DC so much for really experimenting.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    DC tried this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Defense_Corps

Of course, it sold four copies.
    It was pretty awesome, though. Ty Templeton should write more stuff.

The part where the commander orders a zombified, brain-hungry soldier to stop trying to eat him and fall back in line, while said zombie replies something like, "Ysz szir, szurry szirrr.." is great.

Munch on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Will any of the 3 issue minis detail the history of the Flashpoint universe? I'm assuming the "World of Flashpoint" will but I'm not sure.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2011
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Will any of the 3 issue minis detail the history of the Flashpoint universe? I'm assuming the "World of Flashpoint" will but I'm not sure.

There was an interview with the writer for World of Flashpoint, and that will apparently just be a literal traveling-all-over-the-world type thing. So it's possible, but it would almost certainly be as exposition.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2011
    DC's The Source blog posted previews for next week's flashpoint minis today.

Honestly, they all look pretty swanky. But, particularly Secret Seven and Batman.

Also, there's a World of Flashpoint preview as well, and you can see that it is infact a story driven Traci & Doc 13 story.

And finally, DC announces that Geoff Johns will not be returning to any of the Flash family after Flashpoint wraps up. So who will his successor be? My money is on Sterling Gates, and I'm betting the Kid Flash mini will be a big part of the relaunch.

HadjiQuest on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope it's Gates. He pretty much vanished after his Supergirl run wrapped up.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    Sinestro's got his movie costume in Flashpoint: Green Lantern

Garlic Bread on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    Sinestro's got his movie costume in Flashpoint: Green Lantern

That's literally the only thing I took away from all those DC previews.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I bet the movie costume crosses into the main GL series after Flashpoint.

Try as he could, Barry Allen could not save fashion.

HadjiQuest on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Flashpoint GL is Blackest Night I guess. The movie costumes look sort of weird and out of place because the other lanterns have their other costumes. They're also using the movie guardians design which... Makes no sense?

Also:
    Bruce Wayne: Hh
    Damian Wayne: Tt
    Thomas Wayne: Mmmrrr

Tairu on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    huh. wasnt expecting that for the ending to flashpoint 2.

ManetherenWolf on
    edited June 2011
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well considering the amount of knickers getting into a twist about it I don't blame them.

Solar on
    edited June 2011
    It was really harmless and anyone who actually got mad about it is a silly goose

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2011
    That seems like a very lateral move.

Like, I guess there aren't any orangutans or chimpanzees there now?

Munch on