As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is now a good time to buy a video card?

NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
Currently, I am running the following system:

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core2Duo E8400
4GB DDR2
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

I plan on building a new system this summer with an i5 or i7 CPU and at least 6GB of RAM, in anticipation of BF3.

In light of that, is it worthwhile to upgrade my video card now, or should I wait until BF3 comes out and see what's on the market at that time? I know I will get more from a system upgrade, but my thinking is that a video card upgrade will at least let me hobble through modern games like Brink until I can get the new system built, and I'll be prepared for BF3 with a DX11 card.

For reference, this new Sapphire 5850 Xtreme is what I am looking at. It seems to beat a reference 6850, with exception to the more intense DX11 tests. And its currently $140 on Newegg, which is within my $150 budget.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
steam_sig-400.png
NailbunnyPD on

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd pull the trigger on it, unless you can afford to spend significantly (like $100 significantly) more on the video card this summer when you build the rest of the PC. $140 is a really good price for that card, and the 5000 series cards are only going to get more expensive as supply dries up.

Alecthar on