As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    How does 1080p content look on a 4k TV? Upgraded my PC recently so thinking of grabbing a new TV to replace my crappy 32" I bought when I moved into this house. Will probably be going around 49" if that matters.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    We have a 49" 4k TV in the main room (LG something) and 1080p content looks fine. I'm pretty particular about picture quality and I don't have any complaints, that said I'm pretty sure we sit far enough away where we lose the benefit of 4k when watching 4k content.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty certain at this point that I'm going to go with: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDDU0Q0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=D0VW2PYQAWHL&coliid=I37ASTTMHX8U37&psc=1 to save a grand on what is essentially more or less the same TV.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Early adopters ALWAYS get fucked in the wallet. There will be newer model OLED sets that make the current ones look lame in a couple of years, and for half the price. The same thing happened with rear projection tvs, the same thing happened with plasmas, the same thing happened with LEDs...

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Early adopters ALWAYS get fucked in the wallet. There will be newer model OLED sets that make the current ones look lame in a couple of years, and for half the price. The same thing happened with rear projection tvs, the same thing happened with plasmas, the same thing happened with LEDs...

Decent sized OLED TVs have been on the market for years now, are you still an early adopter at this point? And of course any technology will continue to get cheaper and cheaper if you just wait a few years. But if you keep waiting a few years, and then a few more years, etc to buy something so that it will get cheaper when do you actually end up buying it? They have already gone from 20 grand down to a couple grand in the last 5 years, and I've had my current TV for over 7 years. It's a giant nearly 100lb DLP and it's about time I upgraded it. I'm ready to get something now and not spend years chasing the price/tech dragon.

I'm going to wait till Black Friday and see if any deals happen, otherwise I'm going to go with the best price I've seen on that TV so far which is about $2,800 for what many reviews said is one of the best TVs with the most complete feature set on the market today.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty certain at this point that I'm going to go with: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDDU0Q0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=D0VW2PYQAWHL&coliid=I37ASTTMHX8U37&psc=1 to save a grand on what is essentially more or less the same TV.

wow, amazon is offering a free xbone with that TV.

jimb213 wrote: »

wow, amazon is offering a free xbone with that TV.

Huh, I hadn't noticed. Though they also raised the price 500 bucks since last night. If they drop the price back down and still offer the XBOne, I think I might pick it up to have a 4k blu-ray player with my new TV.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Decent sized OLED TVs have been on the market for years now, are you still an early adopter at this point? And of course any technology will continue to get cheaper and cheaper if you just wait a few years. But if you keep waiting a few years, and then a few more years, etc to buy something so that it will get cheaper when do you actually end up buying it? They have already gone from 20 grand down to a couple grand in the last 5 years, and I've had my current TV for over 7 years. It's a giant nearly 100lb DLP and it's about time I upgraded it. I'm ready to get something now and not spend years chasing the price/tech dragon.

I'm going to wait till Black Friday and see if any deals happen, otherwise I'm going to go with the best price I've seen on that TV so far which is about $2,800 for what many reviews said is one of the best TVs with the most complete feature set on the market today.

Honestly, right now? Unless I had the money for a Sony KD-75X9400D I would just wait. YMMV though, so go for what feels right for you.

Honestly, right now? Unless I had the money for a Sony KD-75X9400D I would just wait. YMMV though, so go for what feels right for you.

You'd get an LED display over an OLED one?

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I have a somewhat tangential question: while we're still happy with our "50 HD plasma TV, I'm thinking that eventually it'll have to go if we start getting source material that's at higher resolutions. Do I understand correctly that this would also mean replacing the A/V receiver (which is decidedly pre-4K) and most likely the majority of HDMI cables (they're also a few years old)?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I have a somewhat tangential question: while we're still happy with our "50 HD plasma TV, I'm thinking that eventually it'll have to go if we start getting source material that's at higher resolutions. Do I understand correctly that this would also mean replacing the A/V receiver (which is decidedly pre-4K) and most likely the majority of HDMI cables (they're also a few years old)?

Yeah, your whole chain has to be HDMI 2.0 for 4K to work. You want 2.0a for HDR, and they're currently working on 2.1 to improve HDR with dynamic metadata and a few other things but that doesn't have a release date yet.

Thanks!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    If you're planning on that - just wait for OLED to come down and 2.1 to stabilize in the marketplace. Not much 4k content is out there yet, with the first real head-turner likely to be Planet Earth 2, which doesn't even start until November of this year in the UK.

Yeah, I doubt it would be within the next 6 months. Planet Earth 2 would be a good reason for 4k, I'd imagine; I remember being wowed by the first one on Blu-ray - and even my wife, who doesn't much care about SD or HD, went, "Yeah, I can kinda see the point of HD now."

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    edited October 2016
    Edit: Impressive 16 hour double post. Nothing to see here, move along.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    16 hour double post? Impressive. :)

You'd get an LED display over an OLED one?

Yes, right now I would get a very high quality HDR LED panel over the OLEDs that are out now for a similar price.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I know people swear by OLED, but a lot of people also continue to praise the Samsung KS8000 series, which just so happens to be on sale: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60KS8000-60-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01DRPWTLC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477850265&sr=8-5&keywords=samsung+ks8000

I'm pretty tempted to rush out to Best Buy and get in on that, but I had a few questions first.

1. This is my current TV: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00BCGRLUI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477849625&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+series+8000+LED+55

How would the move to KS8000 measure up, in terms of motion, IQ, lag, etc all?

2. I'm considering jumping from 55 inch to 60, but I would like to measure the space on my shelf to see if it'll fit nicely. I'm mainly concerned about vertical space, since there's a shelf right above my TV without much space in-between. How do I measure the difference in height from a 55 inch TV to 60?

3. Most likely I would get this from Best Buy, due to having a 24 month no finance card and good cs history. Is there anything I could say that might help convince them to include a 4K UHD player for free?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with traditional LCD, but when you want the top of image quality, they simply don't compare from a technology perspective due to the deeper blacks and lack of light bloom compared to even a field array LCD set. I have a Vizio M series 4k with Field Dimming and I think it's great, but I don't think it's the top of the category. It was, however, a solid 3-4k cheaper than the OLED option when I bought it, making the decision easy.

• KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Now that Black Friday deals are starting to come out, is there a good 50" in that list that is worth waiting in line to buy?

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I was *this* close to getting that 4K TV + PS4 Pro combo sale at Best Buy today (hands-on-the-TV-box close), but then recalled that the PS4 Pro doesn't support 4K blu rays and Comast is basically crippling the internet with their new data caps (making 4K Netflix an iffy proposition), so I sadly decided that it just isn't time yet. Hopefully Sony will release a new SKU with 4K Blu ray next year or something, what a strange and baffling decision of theirs.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I didnt know the PS4 Pro doesnt do 4K blurays, thats crazy.

I'm sure they've done their market analysis and they have some reason to have left it out. Then again, Sony's decisions haven't always come across as perfectly reasonable...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    I think it basically comes down to that they didn't want to pay $20 or w/e for an upgraded laser to read the new discs.

edited November 2016
    This TV is being delivered to my house in a couple of hours: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-OLED55E6P-55-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01CDD4J58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478458166&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+oled+e6

I'm pretty nervous. I'm hoping that it arrives intact, does not come with any of the issues common to that panel, that the rampant complaints about input lag don't hold water (I did the research and this would technically have less input lag than what I'm using now) and that overall it's as amazing as everyone has claimed.

I bow before our 4K overlords, so I hope this becomes a smooth transition.

Edit: Nope, it actually arrived just now. It's in my room in a big box as we speak.

Fingers crossed.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with LG brand OLEDs, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this so far.

When I hit my all settings menu, which opens up the settings on the left side of the screen, the right side of the screen gets noticeably brighter. THIS is how I want my TV to look like, as I find the brighter image and contrast to be perfect.

However, closing the settings menu immediately reverts the image back to the darker, dimmer screen. Cranking up the brightness does not produce the same effect, and the contrast and OLED brightness are already max at 100.

Can someone point me to the option that makes the image as bright and clear as pulling up the settings menu? If I could achieve that, the TV would be perfect.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Could be some form of dynamic back lighting? Check to see if AVS Forum has a thread about your specific model and ask there is my only real advice.

iguanacus on
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Could be some form of dynamic back lighting? Check to see if AVS Forum has a thread about your specific model and ask there is my only real advice.

Tried asking in AVS (specifically the thread that has my model), but so far I've run into dead ends along with the very typical AVS elitism. They sure do love complaining about TVs a lot.

I'm contacting LG next chance I get and see what they say, and most likely will insist they send someone over to confirm/deny if there's a problem. I've asked a couple of people who own the same OLED about it, and they said they don't notice it happening on theirs.

Another option is running the TV's service mode (which is normally inaccessible to customers, but there's a workaround involving a Harmony remote I could try later) and turn off ABSL (which may or may not be the cause).

I'm wondering if this is my new tech paranoia getting the better of me, just as it did when I got my first LCD (I exchanged it three times because I wasn't entirely educated/accepting of clouding). Still, I want a concrete professional answer whether this is intentional or not.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Probably too obvious but it's not some sort of energy saving feature or something is it?

Probably too obvious but it's not some sort of energy saving feature or something is it?

All the energy saving features are off to my recollection.

I'll also reset the TV to initial settings, just to see if maybe there's a dynamic contrast setting or something that might be causing this. Lunch break's coming up so I'm going to call and see what they say either way (though it might be pointless if they want me to troubleshoot the TV while I'm at the office). Other suggestions say it's an auto brightness setting (that probably can't be turned off), ABSL (something something dimming, but this could be turned off if you hack into the service menu) or a backpanel lighting thing (don't think so but who knows).

As long as I get a solid answer on whether it's a defect or not, I'll be satisfied.

So I managed to call LG, who forwarded me to the VIP deparment. The gentleman I spoke to tried out the E6 to see if the effect occured on his TV. Curiously, he said that the picture on the right side of the screen actually dimmed when the settings menu came up, rather than get brighter. He also said he hadn't heard of this issue and doesn't think it's an intentional thing LG designed.

So we scheduled a tech to come over tomorrow. According to the LG rep, they tend not to replace entire TVs, but instead carry whatever necessary parts they need to replace on the set. He'll have all the proper tools and such needed, so I'll at least know for sure if this is an actual issue or not.

So I managed to call LG, who forwarded me to the VIP deparment. The gentleman I spoke to tried out the E6 to see if the effect occured on his TV. Curiously, he said that the picture on the right side of the screen actually dimmed when the settings menu came up, rather than get brighter. He also said he hadn't heard of this issue and doesn't think it's an intentional thing LG designed.

So we scheduled a tech to come over tomorrow. According to the LG rep, they tend not to replace entire TVs, but instead carry whatever necessary parts they need to replace on the set. He'll have all the proper tools and such needed, so I'll at least know for sure if this is an actual issue or not.

I've had LG do this for me a long time ago with my first LCD. It's actually pretty cool to watch them tear your TV apart.

edited November 2016

I've had LG do this for me a long time ago with my first LCD. It's actually pretty cool to watch them tear your TV apart.

Wonder what the odds are that I can convince him to calibrate it for free afterwards?

If I can get the brightness the way I want and also have it calibrated, it would make this whole thing worth it. From what I've seen, PS4 Pro games are utterly flawless as image quality goes. Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank and FFXV are serious lookers.

Edit: So I may have jumped the gun a bit, looking at a new type of TV and waving my arms around maddeningly over how things are "worse".

I gave this person's calibration recommendations a shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFf4vEiHHRQ

Notice how his set also brightens up at 1:30 when the all settings menu pops up. This tells me that what I have is most likely not a defect.

Anyway, it's a bit less noticeable after following his settings. I still prefer a brighter and more vivid picture than what most experts disagree on, but I think I can come up with a compromise where I'll enjoy 4K content that is optimal and just slightly catering to my tastes.

Still plan to have that technician come over, but I'll most likely reschedule it to Saturday, so that I don't waste a half day of work for what might be a ghost hunt.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    OMG, all these Black Friday deals is making it really hard to wait for CES 2017 and see what's coming out....

Must....remain....strong.....

OMG, all these Black Friday deals is making it really hard to wait for CES 2017 and see what's coming out....

Must....remain....strong.....

The only reason I didn't already pick up an LG OLED display is because of them coming out and saying they weren't going to release a firmware update to support HDR in gaming mode, and the input lag is pretty awful. So don't disappoint me CES...

edited November 2016
    I see input lag come up constantly with the LG.

I realize it's all subjective, but as far as I'm concerned, it goes like this (as someone who doesn't use Game Mode at all):

-HDR+4K: no problems at all. The games play perfectly

-HDR+4K+Tru Motion: This is where it gets really noticeable for me. Tru Motion isn't worth it for games anyway, so no point leaving that on.

-HDR+4K+3D: There's a slight extra amount of input lag, but not as bad as with Tru Motion on.

So really, don't let the hardcore "I need zero frame accuracy" people put you off, because you may not notice a difference at all.

Also it sounds like LG is planning a firmware update for input lag and HDR under Game Mode, but no idea how prompt they are with that stuff.

Do any of you know or have the Samsung UE65KS8080? I haven't found much in the way of reviews.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Thirith wrote: »
    Do any of you know or have the Samsung UE65KS8080? I haven't found much in the way of reviews.

I'm assuming this is a retailer-specific model that is a lightly disguised KS8000. The whole purpose is to prevent price-matching, so just go by KS8000 reviews.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I think that may be a European model, but yeah it appears to be a KS8000. I am staring at a 55" version of that series myself. Rtings.com is my go-to for this kind of data, and they have the KS8000 second only to LG OLED panels

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    I literally just bought the KS8000 on Friday and I'm loving it so far. Follow the calibration settings from Rtings and you're 100% good to go. My wife was pissed that I spent the money until I sat her in front of some HDR content.