As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meeting people

Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Due to a wide variety of circumstances I am either not on speaking terms or am unable to meet almost all of my friends. I am a bit of a loner by nature but after two years I am starting to break down, bit by bit. I am 20 and currently studying by myself, at home, so I do not have anything to force me to go outside and interact with others.

Can you give me any advice on how to meet and make new friends?

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
Grey Paladin on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Get out and do stuff! Make it a practice to strike up a conversation with X strangers a day.
    Also, www.MeetUp.com

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know this isn't what you asked, but what's wrong with the friends you have? If they're bad friends and a bad influence, then sure, get new ones, but if you've just had a disagreement, see if you can patch things up. Good friends are willing to make amends, and someone that knows you well is a valuable asset.

That being said, if you want to meet new people, get involved in a club/activity. M:tG nights at a gaming shop are great, as are PU D&D groups (nice as in a nice way to meet people) if you can find them. How big of a city are we dealing with, here? I mean, do you have access to these sort of nerd havens, or are you living in some tiny city with no nerd outlets whatsoever? Anyway, if you don't like either of those, I would say at least try them, and if you still don't like them, then you can...uh...always trying going to a bar?*

*I don't really recommended this, I just can't think of anything else atm

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Picking up a new hobby is usually a great way to meet new people. be it sports, collecting stamps or gaming, you can always meet people at gatherings for said hobby. Every club or organisation is happy to see new people join.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Depending where you're at, meetup.com is a fantastic way to meet people.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I probably should've mentioned I am from Jerusalem. Meetup.com yielded a few interesting results, but those are mostly yearly technological cons. Helpful neverless.

Jerusalem has a very work-oriented culture, almost to a degree seen in some asian countries. Few people have hobbies outside of the cultural monoliths that are watching television and hitting bars. The gaming scene is practically dead. The much more metropolitan neighbor, Tel-aviv, is an option but it is an hour there and one back on the bus, with crossing the city itself taking another.

I might need to pick up a more popular hobby in the surrounding area, as the Hatter suggests.

RE friends: I am the one that cut them off. They treated me disrespectfuly time and again, and I am not going to endure abusive behavior simply because I know a person for a long time and share interests.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow, not exactly a part of the world I'm sure most of us are familiar with. I would definitely look into local hobbies and cultural things that you can get involved with. Look, if people aren't open to you joining their thing, they're probably silly geese who you wouldn't want to hang out with anyway.

Skoal Cat on