As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARMA 2] A new thread because we have a server!

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    So, I'm in this town, shooting some zombies, and I spot a flare up ahead. I say, oh, a survivor, lets meet up with him.

I go to the flare and I'm standing around looking...and I spot this guy crouched behind some cover watching me. BAM BAM, he shoots me dead. Ambush!

Or so he thought, because when he went over to loot me I shot him in the foot.

Lol.

I caught a bandit sneaking up on me and Ais and we laid in wait (he somehow did not see me or think i saw him.) He got me good but our combined attack got him. So im laying at Ais's feet as he now fights off the zombie horde that the mexican standoff alerted,I was gunshot and unconcious, broken and bleeding. My screen was a view of looking up at Ais is firing at a target I cannot see. A couple bandages and meds and steaks and Im back up to speed so to speak.

Then later Yall shot me yet again as we ran from zombies in pitch black. It broke my leg and I belly crawled into a long house some 30 m away.... ill get Yall back witha stray one day... so I'm not to worried about it.

And then I accidentally shot Ais. In the gut. It was dark and bloodloss made my vision poor.

At the end of the night we butchered a cow and had a nascar pit crew fast gutting and fire up (then quickly out) to get our blood up and our position unfound.

I'd like to apologize, but you can only Dick Cheney friends so many time without just being a dick and 'sorry' just won't cut it. :p

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »
    So, I'm in this town, shooting some zombies, and I spot a flare up ahead. I say, oh, a survivor, lets meet up with him.

I go to the flare and I'm standing around looking...and I spot this guy crouched behind some cover watching me. BAM BAM, he shoots me dead. Ambush!

Or so he thought, because when he went over to loot me I shot him in the foot.

Lol.

I caught a bandit sneaking up on me and Ais and we laid in wait (he somehow did not see me or think i saw him.) He got me good but our combined attack got him. So im laying at Ais's feet as he now fights off the zombie horde that the mexican standoff alerted,I was gunshot and unconcious, broken and bleeding. My screen was a view of looking up at Ais is firing at a target I cannot see. A couple bandages and meds and steaks and Im back up to speed so to speak.

Then later Yall shot me yet again as we ran from zombies in pitch black. It broke my leg and I belly crawled into a long house some 30 m away.... ill get Yall back witha stray one day... so I'm not to worried about it.

And then I accidentally shot Ais. In the gut. It was dark and bloodloss made my vision poor.

At the end of the night we butchered a cow and had a nascar pit crew fast gutting and fire up (then quickly out) to get our blood up and our position unfound.

I'd like to apologize, but you can only Dick Cheney friends so many time without just being a dick and 'sorry' just won't cut it. :p

theres no need. You WILL catch a stray some day. Might not be mine, might. Ill just have the meds ready in either case....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    lu tze wrote: »
    lu tze wrote: »
    I'm not sure if direct VON alerts zombies. The AI will react to it in the standard game AFAIK, so the routines are there for it, probably best to play safe.

I know one thing, it sure as fuck alerts players... And we all know which is the more dangerous animal.

Why not use vent or something? How does voice chat alret players to your position?
    We're talking about the game's built in voice chat, in which anyone who's close to you can hear what you're saying (your mouth even moves... quite nifty actually).

We do use vent, which has all the advantages and none of the drawbacks. For that reason external comms is also frowned upon (but everyone fucking uses it anyway).
    Bandits? I'm still new to the z day stuff. Is there some sort of goal or just open world walking around scavenging?
    The goal is survival. I think they may be putting in missions later though (there's talk of radios).

Look, if you're new to ARMA... bullets are lethal. This isn't COD. One bullet can and will kill you, and a lot of the times you'll never even know where it came from. Couple that with the permadeath, and the scarcity of items... and this leads to a very tense atmosphere.

Bandits are just people who would rather kill you than talk to you (or avoid you). Either because they're wankers, they think it's a better way to scavenge (why work), or because they see other people as too great a risk (can't blame them).

Also bandits get a different skin than normal folks. They have lost thier humanity and thier skin shows it. Good(maybe..) folks all look like PMC guys. You can raise your humanity by helping other players with meds, or transfusions. (You cannot give yourself a transfusion... you must have it done to you).

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    If you raise your humanity do you get the PMC skin back?

It's almost advantageous to become a bandit since you get camouflage

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Suds wrote: »
    If you raise your humanity do you get the PMC skin back?

It's almost advantageous to become a bandit since you get camouflage

Its not easy but you can if you get enough humanity.

But to many you look like a shoot on sight bandit....

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I just saw DayZ on Kotaku and it looks like the game I've been looking for. I went through some of Arma IIs training levels and I jumped in some random games. Anything else I should do to wash the newb off me?

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Here you go, most of this applies:

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/basic_rifleman.html

Particularly the parts on situational awareness, cover and concealment, "how not to get shot", basic marksmanship and stamina and load management.

Also, be aware that in dayz you're a scavanger and inventory space is at a premium. You'll probably want to keep combat reloads to a bare minimum in most situations (since a half filled magazine still takes up a full inventory slot). Some people may disagree with this however.

Edit: Oh yeah, you may want to print off a map.

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=news&id=2711

I use the PDF one, it's detailed enough for basic navigation. And it has town names in cyrillic, which the in game map doesn't for some insane reason (all the road signs are in cyrillic).

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I also just saw about DayZ on Kotaku. Is there a way to get ARMA2 cheaper than $20? Also do I need any expansions to play DayZ?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    You need the Operation Arrowhead expansion.

You can get Combined Operations, which is ARMA 2 and its expansion, for £25 on Steam (don't know what that is in dollars, check it out).

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It looks like it's $30USD for that. I have a few questions though before I commit. Obviously I want to play DayZ but ARMA has intrigued me since the demo dropped way back when. I played a decent amount of Operation Flashpoint (though only singeplayer).

- How is the community, specifically the PA community?
    - Do we still have a good number of people playing?
    - How welcoming are you folks to noobs in your ranks?

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    There's a demo/free version you can try if you want to get a taste of base ARMA.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Keenbean the good news is you wouldn't be the only newb. But I will probably just play DayZ...we'll see...

EDIT: Also if you buy it on Steam-
    Open Steam as administrator on first run of Arma II, then run OA, Then you can load it as CO. Lost a few hours figuring that one out.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    bear in mind two things- The mod may move to arma 3 or its own seperate thing. @ that point arma 2 is worthless if you just want it for this.

And arma two combined ops has been as cheap as 10$. This is an Alpha.... if you can hold out for a sale you can get it way cheaper and still get in on the awesome in a month or so. may not be a beta for a while.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It looks like it's $30USD for that. I have a few questions though before I commit. Obviously I want to play DayZ but ARMA has intrigued me since the demo dropped way back when. I played a decent amount of Operation Flashpoint (though only singeplayer).

i have been on with Ais and yall and a few each night. Lutze is on a bit too. Newbs are always welcomed.... We can have your meds when you die a non shot in the back related death! I kid. We will take your stuff when you die of zombie bites.

The actual arma two community seems pretty barren.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Barren isn't the word I would use. Tight knit and niche would be more like it. Most of the people who play Arma 2 online are in it for organized play.

Arma 2 MP requires a bit more cooperation and communication than just running and gunning at enemies. There are groups out there that are quite serious about the MilSim aspect, to the point that it can look like role playing to outsiders. It's not necessarily RP though, it's just that the real world terminology and methods are used because this is what will give you the most success in Arma games. That said, we've been playing this in GotR chat for a few days now and we are definitely not playing that way. We've been going at it in a loose and haphazard fashion by the standards of the Arma community at-large and it has been a ridiculous blast. And now that I've experienced this I'm considering stepping up to some of the more organized group-play out there.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    On that note, could I get an invite to GotR? Steam id

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular

i have been on with Ais and yall and a few each night. Lutze is on a bit too. Newbs are always welcomed.... We can have your meds when you die a non shot in the back related death! I kid. We will take your stuff when you die of zombie bites.

The actual arma two community seems pretty barren.

Yes, we have a 80% success rate with regards to members not accidentally shooting new people on sight. You don't get those odds everywhere in DayZ!

With regards to vanilla Arma 2, I would also like to get in on that action.

• Options
    Well since we're all asking, I would also like to play coop with you guys!

I can fly a helicopter and not crash most of the time, I can also shoot approximately 4 mans for every death. That's 4 to 1 odds, I'm a fucking pro I tell ya!

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A dmr and 4 clips to go with my ak and 6 clips? Sure why not.

I am about to take a long weekend away @ the beach.... may have to hunt bandits tonight

I got some DMR mags for you that I looted from a man I shooted.

Also can I get an invite? My steam id is in my sig.

Doctor Deimos on
  • Options

I am about to take a long weekend away @ the beach.... may have to hunt bandits tonight

ill be back for sure on sunday... dont know if you wanna lug them till then.

• Options
    GotR is primarily about Saints Row, and Idolninja handles all the invites to the group. Arma 2 is just a thing we've been doing lately. We don't have a server up 24/7 or anything like that. The games we are running probably can't handle a large amount of players, but what I can do is see about bringing some of this action over to the PA Joe group. If we get something going over there I'll be sure to announce it in here.

• Options
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    I just saw DayZ on Kotaku and it looks like the game I've been looking for. I went through some of Arma IIs training levels and I jumped in some random games. Anything else I should do to wash the newb off me?
    As an addendum to my previous post, how about some rough and ready navigation tips?

Navigation in dayz can be a pain, as you start without a compass or map. However there are some basic techniques you can use to tide you over. I've already pointed to where you can download a map, and I'd highly recommended printing one off, as in many ways they're superior to the in game ones anyway. But that leaves a problem with getting a bearing.

First, is to obviously use the sun. It rises in the east, sets in the west, simple. If you have half an idea what time it is (ask in side chat), you can get a pretty rough bearing by keeping the sun to your left/right/back/face.

Second, a little more sophisticated technique is to use a watch. Watches are fairly common, and you'll likely find one sooner than you find a compass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPtnAN9G7s

This will actually work in game, I shit you not. To bring up your watch, press 'o' (or double tap 'o' to toggle it on/off). Chernarus is in the northern hemisphere.

Finally, if it's night time you can use the stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncYGquFmAFo

Although the night is rarely as clear as it is in that video, which makes finding constellations a pain. Sometimes you can get lucky with the weather.

One last tip: if you hear gunshots, head in the opposite direction. Remember, curiosity killed the cat and stole his precious beans!

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular

ill be back for sure on sunday... dont know if you wanna lug them till then.

I got an ALICE pack so it's no big deal. Wanna trade that DMR for an M4 CCO?

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Finally, finally got into a game. Saw absolutely no one, but the atmosphere was amazing. Took me about twenty minutes to remember how to climb a ladder, though.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    I just watched some videos. I don't know if I can hold off for a sale.

• Options
    just played 2 games. The first I trespassed onto the electric company's property (I don't think they minded!) I started to climb up a sniper perch just to get a view- my first larger view of the map. In the distance, I saw someone hunting an animal, and a zombie hunting him! But before i could get too comfortable, I heard that gruesome noise, and knew there was one below me. "Can they climb ladders?" I wondered, "Nah!" I figured I would wait him out.
    Imagine my surprise when he and 4 others climbed up onto my perch! It took 2 of my clips (my nerves had my aim everywhere and I wanted to be sure they were each dead!) After grabbing an ammo belt off of one of them, I went to the building next door only to be killed almost instantly by a bandit! (Are bandits humans or computer players who have murdered?)

Great game! My 2nd was boring. I went left instead of right and spent 20 minutes running through a forest. zzzz Sadly that game I did have to put down a priest and acolyte- may their souls find rest now!

• Options
    Bandits are other players who've killed so many players that they've acquired a new camo skin. Not all players in this skin are shoot on sight bandits though, since if someone fires on you and misses then you kill them in retaliation it counts as straight up murder. I was cooperating with a guy in a Bandit skin not too long ago. He'd gotten the Bandit skin by just defending himself from new players who can't shoot straight. Likely people who have no Arma experience and think you can run and gun.

• Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Drake wrote: »
    Bandits are other players who've killed so many players that they've acquired a new camo skin. Not all players in this skin are shoot on sight bandits though, since if someone fires on you and misses then you kill them in retaliation it counts as straight up murder. I was cooperating with a guy in a Bandit skin not too long ago. He'd gotten the Bandit skin by just defending himself from new players who can't shoot straight. Likely people who have no Arma experience and think you can run and gun.

Same here. I am currently a bandit because my brother and I roll together and he was murdered at NE Airfield right behind me, and I was able to escape the attacker and set up an ambush and killed him for it. Then I was shot at when at NE Airfield (wasn't hit) so I killed that SOB, too. Been trying to work off my bandit status since last night. Well, technically the night before last.

This is hard to do when people will shoot and kill you on sight because of the stupid camouflage skin and you're forced to "murder" them yet again.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    holy shit I need the damn expansion arghhhh

DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    I had some time last night to try and play, logged on and it was PUTCH DARK. I couldn't see anything and was in the outskirts of a town. I knew my options were to throw a flare or quit until morning so I chose the latter. I'm just not prepared for night yet!

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    I had some time last night to try and play, logged on and it was PUTCH DARK. I couldn't see anything and was in the outskirts of a town. I knew my options were to throw a flare or quit until morning so I chose the latter. I'm just not prepared for night yet!

You can always cheat and bump up your gamma settings.

• Options
    Yall wrote: »

You can always cheat and bump up your gamma settings.

:^: Can you tell I'm primarily a console gamer?

• Options
    Woo, I landed an AH-64 with a busted tail rotor on the teeny repair zone!

• Options
    This here is one scary pilot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFvyJBtrUo

• Options
    edited May 2012
    On one of the CTI servers I used to play on, some of the guys were so good they used to fly in formation.

It's fucking glorious when they're on your team, damn terrifying when they weren't... just kiss goodbye to ever using armour or any kind of vehicle for the rest of that match.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    One thing about the Arma II demo, it's suppose to be a very early version of it so it's not very good.

Mind you the main game has it's own issues that are infamous as well.

• Options
    I'm reading this interview with the DayZ dev and it talks about players setting up a "mass transit system".

Now I'm just imagining armored-up buses and stuff from zombie movies. :P

• Options
    Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    Since we've got people playing this again against zombies, anyone up for some normal coop missions sometime tomorrow perhaps?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So when I'm flying an A-10 I have a cruise speed of about 250... but in most youtube clips I watch they're at 400+. What gives?

• Options
    If anyone wants to play dayz (not at the moment but in general) please add SharpTenor on steam. I just had an AWESOME run after finding 2 people I could trust (which was awesome to figure out to begin with!)