As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't get it to skip to 20:25, and going by that opening, there is no way I am listening to 20 minutes of that.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A lot of their complaints seem to be about the singleplayer.

Especially the ai being bad and how you have zero control over them, which makes doing some objectives a pain when the ai won't properly cover you or go to the spots you need them. And that doing some objectives takes too long; he said it was taking 20 seconds to plant a bomb, which seems really long if only for the player who has to spend 20 seconds looking at a wall. Which would play into why they said doing the objectives wasn't that fun or interesting, and they were getting bored.

It also sounds like the smart movement won't be obvious, and that the ai doesn't use it as optimally as the player can. Which is good; you shouldn't get the best jumps and optimal routes after 2 minutes of watching the ai run around, and players should be able to figure that stuff out for themselves. It's more fun that way.

They liked Rage though, so that's nice.

But yes, I can't believe you got me to listen to that tripe. Gaming podcasts are terrible.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here's some of the complaints from that GT video.
    "It felt under-polished. Going from Brink to Rage solidified that fact. First of all, personally, I'm not a big fan of multiplayer facet like Team Fortresss, so we were playing by ourselves."

"It's probably the most complicated MP shooter I've ever played."

"It does have that SMART system going on but the levels don't encourage that. So I just started playing like a traditional shooter... I found myself getting bored with it."

"The game on a graphical level, from what I saw months ago, was certainly not a looker."

"It has potentially, but it's under-polished, moved too slow and I didn't like the objectives it gave us."

When you're playing by yourself and trying to command a team of 8 different [AI] people, you can't really tell them what to do. You're at the mercy of what the AI is capable of doing. And I was just getting frustrated.

(Someone asked why would you play with AI)... "That's just how the game operates."

"You die quickly and respawn 300 yards away."

I did paraphrase the transcript a little, but it's very close to what they said (I'm not putting words in their mouth).

Not to go all fanboy, but they were basically people who admittedly didn't like MP games, that were playing with bots instead of real people, and didn't use the SMART system due to the claim that they "weren't encouraged to use it." They did say they could see people getting into after awhile of playing and that it would be very polarizing (Love/Hate).

Oh well.

Edit...Beaten

Decoy on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mr_mich wrote: »
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-157-invisible-walls/713442
    20:25 they talk about how they played Brink. He didn't like it, felt it was unpolished which is kinda discouraging. At the same time, the guys seem really unfamiliar with the game (mentioning randomly-generated maps and not knowing how the spawns/command posts work). Still, complaints about lack of polish and crappy AI don't require you to know the game in and out...

I don't usually quote myself but I want some comments on this video...these guys really disliked Brink.

I wasn't to impressed with their critiques. One of the first things that guy said was how he didn't like TF2's style of of multiplayer. I adore TF2 and its multiplayer. I was tempted to close the window right then but soldiered on.

Also, I kept hearing them talk about it being more difficult than they expected. I pictured them, the lot of PS3 gamers, approaching the game like Call of Duty or Quake. They kept saying it was difficult to figure out what to do, they died a lot and the walk back was long. All of these seem like pluses to me as long as you approach the game strategically and not like a frag-fest.

They also mentioned playing with the AI. If that was the case, they must of been doing single player. Not much to say about that, doesn't matter to me much one way or the other.

As for polish, that's something that is just felt. I'd have to play it for myself to comment.

All in all, once I was finished with their little blurb I decided not to value their comments. They seemed off target and didn't deter my excitement for the game.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    A couple of reviews don't really matter, to me at least. Scoring games on a scale is kind of silly...

It is too bad those guys didn't enjoy the single-player. SP seems to be bot matches and challenges. I don't expect to be blown away by the bot matches. I hope the bots are good enough to fill out teams, so you can have 8 vs 8 games running until you have full teams.

I wonder if those guys watched the tutorials or did the challenges before playing the game.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Who are those guys? Have we got any reason to trust their opinions (can't watch the vid atm).

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    Who are those guys? Have we got any reason to trust their opinions (can't watch the vid atm).

They're just guys who have played the game when we haven't. I don't really put any stock into anyone's opinion of a game unless their people I know and have played games with them before. So feel free to take anything and everything with a grain of salt.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's what I thought.

*IGNORE*

LewieP on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    But yes, I can't believe you got me to listen to that tripe. Gaming podcasts are terrible.

Giant Bombcast, your point is invalid (unless you dislike it, in which case... well, fine then).

More on topic about the "Brink preview" thing: at the end of the day, I just don't like most reviews or previews that state whether a game/movie/comic/cereal is "good" or bad," because I consume a bunch of media that some people really hated, but I loved it (star wars prequels) and things I hated that others loved (infamous). I played Brink at PAX and, after getting the hang of the controls in a minute, I loved it. But considering that everyone's opinions are different, I'm sure someone else playing that demo at PAX absolutely hated it, and it's perfectly fine to think that. Unfortunately, a video or podcast on the internet can make your opinion very loud and/or popular. in fact, if you're interested , here's an article on criticism which talks about it: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/8812-MovieBob-How-to-Read-Movie-Criticism

Sorry, to go a bit off topic like that (was it off topic?) It was just on my mind, and I needed to get my thoughts out.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is the reason a demo would be nice :/

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Not being able to control the bots at all will be a problem for people who play to get the objectives. If you can't rely on the bots to plant the bomb, or you always want to do it yourself and you can't rely on the bots to cover your properly, then it'll come down to either doing a lot of things yourself, or luck. Even if it doesn't really, but it seems like it will, you can bet that it'll say it will in the reviews.

No bot commands does seem weird.
    I mean, even that game I used to play had bot commands.)

Which makes me wonder. Will the bots be unique? Will they chatter? I like bots that are unique and have chatter.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, I totally forgot that game Page used to play had bot commands.

Memories.

815165 on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Those guys also commented on the graphics being bad. I love the way the game looks.

Give me stylized over realistic any day of the week. Stylized graphics stand the test of time. Realistic does not.
    MMpE3.jpg
    Sy8DC.jpg
    rNPan.jpg
    Q2veV.jpg

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, games with stylized visuals age a lot better than games that aimed for realism. Timesplitters 2 aged a lot better than SOCOM 2.

SD mentioned the bots are unique and are named after SD employees and their families. And it was said you can sort of control their appearance.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rehosted:
    MMpE3.jpg
    Sy8DC.jpg
    rNPan.jpg
    Q2veV.jpg

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Those are bullshots, but yes, Brink does look nice.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/sixfoot6

Can I get an add please.

no worries on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure what qualifies for a bullshot or not (I am fairly sure they are in engine with all in game assets, but they are clearly not in game) but those are pretty representative of how Brink looks in motion.

LewieP on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well its kind of got a borderlands type style which is nice, i think i helps scale graphics to different card power

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure what qualifies for a bullshot or not (I am fairly sure they are in engine with all in game assets, but they are clearly not in game) but those are pretty representative of how Brink looks in motion.

They're missing bright outlines, health bars, icons, ammo counts, and numbers obscuring 60% of each character.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

They're missing bright outlines, health bars, icons, ammo counts, and numbers obscuring 60% of each character.

So a bullshot does have HUD elements, or does not?

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey now. If there was an option to have players always have a bright colour coded outline, even when I can see them, I would turn it on always. It's a good feature.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I meant representative of quality. Like, the environments and models look pretty accurate to me.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey now. If there was an option to have players always have a bright colour coded outline, even when I can see them, I would turn it on always. It's a good feature.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about it, I'm just saying that the game isn't going to look like those screenshots.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yeah, I'm not complaining about it, I'm just saying that the game isn't going to look like those screenshots.

Yeah, those are bullshots, but I think the game is still going to look pretty good, especially on the PC. Remember, however, that those podcast guys had just got done seeing RAGE, so just about anything by comparison would probably look a bit dated.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Yeah, those are bullshots, but I think the game is still going to look pretty good, especially on the PC. Remember, however, that those podcast guys had just got done seeing RAGE, so just about anything by comparison would probably look a bit dated.

Yeah after seeing RAGE I imagine anything with colors other than brown or gray basically just blows out the visual cortex and leaves one stunned and ready to be killed by a finishing move.

I actually really like how RAGE looks, but BRINK does extremely well in the competition by virtue of having awesome colors, design, style, and even some iD tech under the hood. It's not quite the fancy iD tech that RAGE has got, but still. iD. Best engines ever.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wanted to share this video I found. I hadn't seen it yet. Lots of good gameplay clips.

Kill speed looks pretty fast. Maybe be more fraggy then I thought.

http://youtu.be/AaqCKZOGrZs

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not being able to control the bots at all will be a problem for people who play to get the objectives. If you can't rely on the bots to plant the bomb, or you always want to do it yourself and you can't rely on the bots to cover your properly, then it'll come down to either doing a lot of things yourself, or luck. Even if it doesn't really, but it seems like it will, you can bet that it'll say it will in the reviews.

No bot commands does seem weird.
    I mean, even that game I used to play had bot commands.)

Which makes me wonder. Will the bots be unique? Will they chatter? I like bots that are unique and have chatter.

More on point, the bots in ETQW responded to the voice chat commands. Like if you called for health, one of the medic bots would come and heal you.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You could chat with the bots in that game I used to play.

Like, you could call them names and they'd respond.

It was cute.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I got jailed because someone misunderstood my joke, so someone please quote me:

215186837_A5WVR-L-2.jpg

215498278_95BZe-L-2.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

215186837_A5WVR-L-2.jpg

215498278_95BZe-L-2.jpg

rRootagea on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    215186837_A5WVR-L-2.jpg

215498278_95BZe-L-2.jpg

And with that, I'm going to reinstall UT 2k4. Hah.

Decoy on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You could chat with the bots in that game I used to play.

Like, you could call them names and they'd respond.

It was cute.

One of the old HL1 DM mods had bots that did that. You could even add new ones.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wanted to share this video I found. I hadn't seen it yet. Lots of good gameplay clips.

Kill speed looks pretty fast. Maybe be more fraggy then I thought.

http://youtu.be/AaqCKZOGrZs

Still looks a lot like Wolfenstein:ET to me. Which is fine because I loved that game :)

I am, however, concerned about the number and frequency of the automated barks. Hearing "Mucho bad guys spotted" and "blah blah blah Command Post" over and over seems like it'd get pretty tiresome. I suppose we'll see in 9 days, but hopefully we'll be able to either tone that stuff done (or replace the sound files on the PC version) if it gets too annoying.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-157-invisible-walls/713442
    20:25 they talk about how they played Brink. He didn't like it, felt it was unpolished which is kinda discouraging. At the same time, the guys seem really unfamiliar with the game (mentioning randomly-generated maps and not knowing how the spawns/command posts work). Still, complaints about lack of polish and crappy AI don't require you to know the game in and out...

I don't usually quote myself but I want some comments on this video...these guys really disliked Brink.

For what it's worth, Brink was barely even on my radar until I got a chance to play it, and then I got really excited about it.

That's also possibly why I don't really care as much about all this debate over SMART. For me it's not even a focal point of the game because I missed that early round of advertisement about the parkour elements. I mean I used the SMART stuff a little bit while I played, but it didn't really feel like it defined the game.

All it is to me is a fun class based, dynamic objective oriented team shooter.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It really like just like a sprint button that lets you do more awesome shit than just sprinting.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    S.M.A.R.T. is SPECIFICALLY why I'm interested in this game; after playing the Specialists mod for HL1 (mostly dead now) I've missed having a game that allows for freedom of movement.

EDIT: in response to below - yes, and those two as well. Brink video reminds me of TS/AHL/QW:ET combined, which sounds delicious...

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, I remember the Specialists. That was fun. And Action Half-life. And the Opera. 8-)

That video was in the last thread. :) It is a good video, and I think it gives a good impression of the game. The video was filmed and released in April, so it should be current.

The Light getting melee'd off of that ramp was awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It really like just like a sprint button that lets you do more awesome shit than just sprinting.

I cannot wait to parkour my way behind the enemy team and introduce them to Sir Shotgun XII.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
This discussion has been closed.