As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eskimo [chat]ters

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Epileptic seizures?

Let's just take a knife and cut that piece out.

I thought the "cure" for that was just separating the hemispheres. You're not actually removing anything, just cutting a whole lot of connections.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Epileptic seizures?

I thought the "cure" for that was just separating the hemispheres. You're not actually removing anything, just cutting a whole lot of connections.

There's a type of seizure they separate the corpus callosum for, I don't remember which in particular.

That's a really extreme measure, most surgeries for epilepsy involve just finding the overactive area and snipping it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    gnight folks

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Epileptic seizures?

Now, I think you know I love unethical science, but I am so glad that they did that. We learned so much cool stuff.

You know what blows my mind (and is common with callosotomy)? Confabulation.

My neuroscience professor was musing about how it's possible that is all our consciousnesses does is look at the things we've done and confabulate reasons for it.

Winky on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Night feral.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MY PAPER WILL BE THE BEST PAPER
    IT WILL BE PUBLISHED IN TWELVE JOURNALS
    ALSO I WILL WIN THE NOBEL PRIZE
    It's an end of the semester lab report. Every other student turns in about one page. My advisor wants no less than 5 pages because we have to be the best lab that ever was. I have not slept. I had lots of coffee. This paper is really sexy. I am gonna make him publish it once I get more data. :P

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    also everything looks like data now
    even the ceiling tiles are topographical surface maps to me
    this is a desperate cry for help

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MY PAPER WILL BE THE BEST PAPER
    IT WILL BE PUBLISHED IN TWELVE JOURNALS
    ALSO I WILL WIN THE NOBEL PRIZE
    It's an end of the semester lab report. Every other student turns in about one page. My advisor wants no less than 5 pages because we have to be the best lab that ever was. I have not slept. I had lots of coffee. This paper is really sexy. I am gonna make him publish it once I get more data. :P

Publishing as an undergrad? Go girl!

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Y'know what's great?

New episode of doctor who tomorrow!

Daxon on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bluuuuh

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why is your paper sexy again?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The little spiky steel-plant pokemon is the best. I just pump up my defence while enemies destroy themselves on his spikes.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HRRRRUK

grade is .40 percent away from an A

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It is of high quality for an undergrad (not tooting own horn, I've been doing research for > two years now, I should be at a graduate level). With this summer, I should be able to pump out enough data to get it published.
    :D

seriously though sleep would be really nice

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Y'know what's great?

New episode of doctor who tomorrow!

Wooooo!!!!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Podly wrote: »
    what's the bass synth from?

i am digging it. it reminds me off something from selected ambient works.

It's something I programmed on the DSI Evolver.

I can't shake the 90s vibe and I like the gated (is that what's going on there?) synth that comes in around the 6:30 mark or so. I think if it showed up sooner it could add more drive.

Which one? The processed square waves or the open saw wave? The square waves just have a square LFO on the cutoff, whereas the open saw wave is being sidechained off the kick.

the saw waves.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That is pretty great Daxon.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I can't shake the 90s vibe and I like the gated (is that what's going on there?) synth that comes in around the 6:30 mark or so. I think if it showed up sooner it could add more drive.

Which one? The processed square waves or the open saw wave? The square waves just have a square LFO on the cutoff, whereas the open saw wave is being sidechained off the kick.

the saw waves.

yeah, this is just a rough mix. I'm still fooling around with the filter processing at the 8:10ish mark too

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bed time. Keep on being the paragons of human greatness you are, [chat]

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Salma Yaqoob was very well spoken on 10 O'Clock Live.

Daxon on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Today's comic was the fun.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Today's comic was the fun.

I approve.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I was hoping for a crying lady liberty somewhere.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    stem-cell research

heh

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011

the saw waves.

yeah, this is just a rough mix. I'm still fooling around with the filter processing at the 8:10ish mark too

I just gave it another ear while filling out some forms. It got my head moving. . .I think ultimately if I could say anything is that i'd personally welcome some condensation. But I definitely enjoy the track.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

the saw waves.

I just gave it another ear while filling out some forms. It got my head moving. . .I think ultimately if I could say anything is that i'd personally welcome some condensation. But I definitely enjoy the track.

Yeah, I want to get it down to 8 minutes. I want to try to release a 2 song single or a four song EP and try and get it picked up by a dance or electro label this summer. I'm pretty happy with this (just started it today), so there might be some momentum...

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Eeeee, tomorrow is new Friendship day and I completely forgot. YAYYYYY!

EDIT: Also, holy fuck. I did a basic contour drawing of my external HD, and it didn't COMPLETELY suck. I mean, my perspective was way off and it's vague and only kinda half-formed, but still! Fuck it, I'm pushing forward on this again. Gonna draw like a motherfucker, make up for lost time and take advantage of my iPad as an all-in-one creative machine.

Looking to dabble in electronic music, too, see if I can make my brain click to rhythm and beats and other musicy terms.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

the saw waves.

Yeah, I want to get it down to 8 minutes. I want to try to release a 2 song single or a four song EP and try and get it picked up by a dance or electro label this summer. I'm pretty happy with this (just started it today), so there might be some momentum...

i want to put together a good remix. one good song of my own. learn how to make a live mix with traktor etc. and learn enough french to test out of the majority of the courses for a french language minor this summer.

seems like you have a much more obtainable goal.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pods lemme listen to your music!

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yalborap wrote: »
    Eeeee, tomorrow is new Friendship day and I completely forgot. YAYYYYY!

EDIT: Also, holy fuck. I did a basic contour drawing of my external HD, and it didn't COMPLETELY suck. I mean, my perspective was way off and it's vague and only kinda half-formed, but still! Fuck it, I'm pushing forward on this again. Gonna draw like a motherfucker, make up for lost time and take advantage of my iPad as an all-in-one creative machine.

Looking to dabble in electronic music, too, see if I can make my brain click to rhythm and beats and other musicy terms.

Man I was sitting in class the other day and I realized that I can draw lots of 2D representations of shit if I stare at it without looking at the paper.

if that makes any sense.

i feel like that makes no sense.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    @yalborap: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=138870

@DUE: we'll see. It's gonna take a few hundred hours to get four solid tracks, and THEN you have to get an industry person to pay attention and pick it up.

@daxon: http://soundcloud.com/apres-garde/minny-and-trio

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah as I made my statement I realized that there's a good chance your task is actually more difficult since it's up to the whims of a capricious industry.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

@DUE: we'll see. It's gonna take a few hundred hours to get four solid tracks, and THEN you have to get an industry person to pay attention and pick it up.

I POSTED in your crazy thread. :P

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

I POSTED in your crazy thread. :P

juuuuuuuust reminding you!

@DUE: yeah. I mean, I have some contacts, but nobody that will do anything other than vaguely allude to some friend of theirs that I should meet (and probably never will).

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Ron Swanson chat was locked in favour of eskimo chat?

THE MODS HAVE GONE TOO FAR.

Daxon on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    i just need you to look and see if the baby's head has reached the cervix

Organichu on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Minibosses Choice"!

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    i just need you to look and see if the baby's head has reached the cervix

Dude what the fuck.

Henroid on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    God, today is gonna be awful. Hopefully the coffee shop is open or something. At the moment the radio is firmly off as I just can't be arsed to listen to hours of royal wedding shite

I remember I just stayed in bed until Diana's funeral was done. No disrespect to the poor woman, but I found the national frenzy deeply odd.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Is today a national holiday in britain?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.