As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
BYOC REG AND GROUP SEATING ARE NOW CLOSED!

See you guys at PAX! :)

Known BYOC Events:

Schedule will be posted during the event... However some things will be announced in advance.

Eve POD Race!
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/20110368#Comment_20110368

Group Seating

So heres the deal. We are doing group seating with groups 6 or more in size.
Choose a group leader to Post here, PM me on the forums, or email me at [email protected] with the following:
  • How many people are in your group
  • The handles of everyone in your group
  • A group name
  • Location where your group wants to be (See chart in the spoiler tag below)

SEATING CHART:
(warning, xbox hueg pic)
Prime2011.jpg

Groups:
Blue = Intel

Epic Failz:
A 1-11
A 16-26

Hope Rides Alone:
B 1-5
B 16-20

Rock Lobsters:
B 11-15
B 26-30

Cool Kids:
C 1-9

BoNK:
C 12-21

Team Friendslist:
C 22-28

Killer Waffle Attack:
D 1-10

Punching Trees Gives Me Wood:
D 19-21
D 39-42

iddqd:
F 16-21
F 37-42

The Irkin Empire
G 1-4
G 22-25

LightSwitchRavers:
H 1-3
H 22-24

Geek Tactical:
H 28-36

House Targaryen:
I 1-7

#paforums_pax Group
I 16-30
I 10-15

Be aware: Group seats will only be held until 2pm Friday of PAX. Make sure your group arrives before then or else I remove the reserved marker so others can sit there. Then you group has to fend for its seats amongst everyone else.
By that point the room is filling up and multiple seats together are at a premium.

BE SURE TO UPDATE YOUR LISTS/SEATS WITH ME.
Only the people in the group list can sit in the group (this got messed up at East).
Old OP stuff:
BYOC Is now sold out :) Sorry to those who were unable to get a ticket.

Any further important updates will appear here, also will have a mention on the @Prime_BYOC twitter account in case you don't watch the forums like a hawk :P

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Putting this highly relevant question at the top:

Q: Can I transfer my BYOC ticket to someone else?
    A: Short answer is, NO. You can only get a refund for your ticket via Intel LANfest.

Long answer:
    We did this to kill the scalping of tickets which got WAY out of hand a few years ago. You can get a refund for the ticket price via LANfest but ticket transfers are not allowed.
    Refund requests must be submitted BEFORE Friday, August 19th if you cannot attend PAX BYOC This year.

Q: How many BYOC Spots will be available?
    A: Right now it's looking to be like 350-ish, This is by no means concrete. (Yeah I know... Smaller than last year :( )

Q: How much does BYOC cost?
    A: $30 in addition to your regular 3day PAX pass.

Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
    A: Check in will start 2 hours before PAX opening. I aim to have it all complete an hour before PAX opens, to give people an hour to get their stuff hooked up and ready.

Q: What hours does the BYOC run each day?
    A: Same hours as PAX. The room will have to be cleared at PAX closing. About 30min before closing there will be an in-room announcement to start wrapping up your games or whatever for the night before everyone gets kicked out at closing.

Q: Do I leave my stuff in the LAN the whole time?
    A: Yes. The room is guarded all during PAX and locked up at night. We are the first ones in and the Last ones out. If you must take your stuff up (like a laptop) you need to Check it out at the security desk as you leave and check it back in when you return.

Q: What games are typically played?
    A: Whatever is popular this year. TF2, LoL, COD4/5/6/7/etc, WoW, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Monday Night Combat, L4D2, etc. If you want to play a game you can find others that are up for it as well.

Q: If I get a spot for the BYOC, I don't need to commit to being in there the whole time, right? Just when I feel like relaxing and playing some games with people?
    A: Correct, you aren't chained to your spot in BYOC. The majority of BYOC attendees are just there in-between the PAX events that they want to go see.

Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
    A: The max monitor size is 24" due to power and space constraints.

Q: Can I bring my own chair?
    A: NO! The WSCC doesn't allow this. Please use the chairs provided.

Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
    A: Yes as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port and two power ports per seat.

Q: Can I bring a switch or own Power strip to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.
    A: Daisy chaining power strips is a HUGE no as well. Fire Marshall hates that so we need to enforce this pretty seriously. Sorry.

Q: Do I need to bring a network cable?
    A: Yes. You will need a network cable to hook your computer up to the network switch at your table. Bring around a 25ft cable otherwise, depending where you are sitting, the switch may be out of your cables reach.

Q: Can I bring *insert friend/Girlfriend/spouse/random person here* in BYOC with me?
    A: No, Sorry. To ensure the security of everyone's personal equipment in a busy area such as PAX, only BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room.

Q: Is there Internet in BYOC?
    A: Yes there will be, although it will be locked down to prevent things like torrenting and throttled so not one person can use up all the bandwidth.

Q: But... how am I supposed to get my computer there?
    A: Drive it! An alternate option which I have used to attend LANs that are far away, is to ship yourself your computer/monitor to your hotel you are staying at. If you call them and say you have a package coming they will hold it for you until you check-in. Just ship it back to yourself when PAX is over.

Q: Can I bring my xbox/playstation/nintendo console?
    A: Sorry, no consoles allowed in here. This is a PC LAN. You cant being a console in addition either, those things use up a lot of power.

Q: Can I Bring a cooler in for drinks/snacks?
    A: Yes but only small personal coolers /w no ice (use the frozen gelpacks). If it has more than one handle and/or wheels then it wont be allowed in (think lunch sized cooler).

All information is subject to change as thats the nature of the convention beast.

BigRed on
  • The_CyberchristThe_Cyberchrist Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are the Byoc tickets going through Intels Lanfest site this year?

The_Cyberchrist on
    There is no blackness in this world which has not its mirror image in my soul.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Are the Byoc tickets going through Intels Lanfest site this year?
    BigRed wrote: »
    your ticket via Intel LANfest.

I'm guessing yes.

zerzhul on
  • CooLSpoTCooLSpoT Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Any word on official tournaments?:winky:

CooLSpoT on
    edited May 2011
    CooLSpoT wrote: »
    Any word on official tournaments?:winky:

Official tourney info usually doesn't come out until maybe a month before the show. This could fluctuate, but I doubt we'll see anything on tourneys before July at the earliest (my guess anyhow).

zerzhul on
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it possible to make sure you are seated next to a friend?

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    edited May 2011
    Typically after BYOC sells out, and once we're much closer to the event and Red knows the layout of the actual BYOC room, he starts accepting group seating requests.

zerzhul on
  • sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    looks like the event is up on Lanfest but the registration link is still down. I'll asume that means its coming very soon.

sizzlersam on
    46Eamp0.png
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Typically after BYOC sells out, and once we're much closer to the event and Red knows the layout of the actual BYOC room, he starts accepting group seating requests.

As an addendum to this, usually groups have a minimum number required.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    edited May 2011
    BigRed on
  • PahalialPahalial Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Any particular instructions for group registration, or just reg the appropriate number of seats on that page in one order?

Pahalial on
    edited May 2011
    Its worded weird for their other events.

If you are really buying for a group then you will have to be the one to pick up the groups tickets (they wont be able to, we check ID) otherwise just get everyone to get single tickets.

BigRed on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Annnnd. Bought.

I'd like to thank whoever works the twitters because that's how I knew. 260 seats is a lot. How is that compared to previous year(s)?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • geoffleegeofflee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm getting a blank page when I reach Step 3: Select Seat. Perhaps it's broken, or is it just simply disabled?

geofflee on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Registered. Now the long wait.

Any idea on the events Red? Besides the pwny contest of course.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited May 2011
    geofflee wrote: »
    I'm getting a blank page when I reach Step 3: Select Seat. Perhaps it's broken, or is it just simply disabled?
    Yea, advanced seat selection is disabled for this event.

David Coffman on
  • sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    260 seats is a lot. How is that compared to previous year(s)?

its actually a lot smaller, last year was 400-500 i think.

sizzlersam on
    46Eamp0.png
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Registered! Will the BYOC email newsletter send out when/if we can start requesting group seating, or should I just keep an eye here?

eye-shuh on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh geod... that's the same amount of seats that were at East this year. Let's hope it won't sell out in a week and we won't have to make poetry explaining our sadness of tickets selling out.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited May 2011
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Registered! Will the BYOC email newsletter send out when/if we can start requesting group seating, or should I just keep an eye here?

you can always follow the twitter feed if you want to be extra sure

zerzhul on
    edited May 2011
    eye-shuh wrote: »

Group seating requests will go up before that email goes out. Just keep an eye out on here or follow @Prime_BYOC and ill mention it there as well.

BigRed on
    edited May 2011
    Cronus wrote: »

Sadly the pwny contest is finished. Last year was the last time :(

Its getting way to expensive to do it.

I will have another crafty contest to do though :D

BigRed on
    edited May 2011
    Prime_BYOC wrote:
    100 sold with reg only being open for 2.5h... Wow! Only 175 seats left!

https://twitter.com/Prime_BYOC/statuses/65206784989741056

zerzhul on
    edited May 2011
    Oh geod... that's the same amount of seats that were at East this year. Let's hope it won't sell out in a week and we won't have to make poetry explaining our sadness of tickets selling out.

There was 216 at east

BigRed on
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cronus wrote: »

OH DEAR GOD, NOOOOoooOOOO!!!!! No pwnys???????????????? =( I think I'm gonna cry.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What was the official count for PAX Prime 2010 and 2011?

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
    edited May 2011
    BYOC is now 50% sold

BigRed on
    edited May 2011

There was 216 at east

Oh geod... that's almost the same** amount of seats that were at East this year. Let's hope it won't sell out in a week and we won't have to make poetry explaining our sadness of tickets selling out.

Fixed

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • moodboommoodboom Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dudes how exactly do you link the 3-day pass to the BYOC registration? My bro bought us 2 Prime Pax 3-day passes and I payed for 2 BYOCs, we just want to make sure they're linked. I is cerfuzed.

moodboom on
    edited May 2011
    moodboom wrote: »
    Dudes how exactly do you link the 3-day pass to the BYOC registration? My bro bought us 2 Prime Pax 3-day passes and I payed for 2 BYOCs, we just want to make sure they're linked. I is cerfuzed.

You dont have to link them. You will get 2 seperate badges. The orange BYOC Badge grants you entry into BYOC, the red 3day badge gets you into PAX. You will need them both.

BigRed on
    edited May 2011
    Also theres under 100 seats left... BYOC Might sell out in a day!

Also it appears some people are having problems with the lanfest site erroring out. It seems to happen in chrome and firefox4 the most. Try Opera or IE8 (or 9 in compatibility).

BigRed on
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I suppose "eight year-old son" is grouped under "random person" in the FAQ.

Dammit. I was looking forward to BYOC, too.

EDIT: Not "dammit" to you guys. You have rules and I completely understand and respect them. I'm just disappointed.

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

edited May 2011
    WuShock wrote: »
    I suppose "eight year-old son" is grouped under "random person" in the FAQ.

Dammit. I was looking forward to BYOC, too.

EDIT: Not "dammit" to you guys. You have rules and I completely understand and respect them. I'm just disappointed.

Buy your son a BYOC badge! Have him game on a small netbook or something. It's not like you're worried about profanity or something, he's already going to PAX :P

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • KRIZZAPKRIZZAP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, the lanfest site errored in FF and it now says I payed, but I didnt, and I didnt get an email.. what do I do now? I cant cancel to re-order in IE because it wont let you if theres a payment attatched, and it thinks there is for my tickets. Very concerned...

KRIZZAP on
  • Zer078Zer078 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    going to digital overload and e3 instead of pax prime this year

Zer078 on
    PAX EAST: 3 day pass
    Pc gamer for life
    edited May 2011
    KRIZZAP wrote: »
    Hey, the lanfest site errored in FF and it now says I payed, but I didnt, and I didnt get an email.. what do I do now? I cant cancel to re-order in IE because it wont let you if theres a payment attatched, and it thinks there is for my tickets. Very concerned...

Submit a support ticket on the Lanfest site.

BigRed on
  • KRIZZAPKRIZZAP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KRIZZAP wrote: »

Submit a support ticket on the Lanfest site.

Sent in a cancellation request and a support ticket explaining it and made a new registration, thought I couldn't make a new registration but I guess I was wrong! I was starting to get worried seeing the available seats tick away like that..

KRIZZAP on
  • bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know you have a friend when he calls you on your vacation (currently in Kauai) and lets you know the PAX PRIME BYOC registration is up. I don't get back for another couple of days would have surely missed the chance to show off my new casemod.

THANKS VALANDER!

bitterfun on
  • tylermenezestylermenezes Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I will have another crafty contest to do though :D

Could we just have everyone who wants to participate bring their own pwny? Subject to strict requirements and initial inspection, of course?

tylermenezes on
    Prime '06-'15
    BYOC '09-'15
    edited May 2011
    < 60 paid seats left according to lanfest.

zerzhul on
This discussion has been closed.