As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That's what [NBC Thursday comedies] said!

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cbs comedies are the worst

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I read a little of that, but

while NBC is still paying for and airing his show, or, hell, while he's still working in the business, I have a hard time believing that he's gonna say anything to really piss them off
    You’ve got Christmas, and you’ve got Dungeons & Dragons as the major political plot points in the making of Community’s second season. I was asked not to write the episode, they said “Because it won’t be an accessible topic.” I said, “I appreciate your concern, I’ll make it accessible.” This was the studio, not the network. We spent two days writing it, and we finished it, and we read it through, these two gentlemen and I at Andrew Guest’s house. His girlfriend made us Pop-Tarts and we had a little shot of cognac or something. We’d been up all night. We almost cried because we were like, “God, that was fucking hard.” And it was so satisfying. “What a nice little story this is. Let’s get to that table-read.” And we did it. We threaded the needle. We made Dungeons & Dragons accessible. We went and table-read it, and it was a great table-read, people loved it. The director, Joe Russo, was like, “I can’t wait to shoot it. I don’t have any thoughts about how to improve it. I think it’s great.”
    The studio and network response at the table-read was so removed from that. They were so upset about the crime of this episode having been written. The note session as a whole was preceded by a 45-minute period of them walking around the lot whispering to each other. They told me they would come up to my office and meet me privately. When they came up, I had the director and all of the writers in the office with me, because I was terrified. They sat down, and they said, “Look, where do we start?” I couldn’t believe this was happening. I was like, “This is opposite of how you should feel right now. This is a great episode. We’re going to get a 1.7 no matter what. We will build our ratings in other ways. The episode is not about credit cards; it’s not about Hilary Duff. It’s going to get the same numbers. There is a cultural build to a hit show. We have to prove to people that we’re capable of good things so they can trust us, so that we can have a relationship. One day we will either be a highly rated show or we’ll be cancelled. It will not have to do with this moment. This episode is good, the story is good, these characters are good. Anyone who doesn’t tune in because the commercial says they’re playing Dungeons & Dragons, it’s not my fault. It’s not on me.”
    It was such a depressing note session, because they didn’t even have any notes on the story. They just didn’t want it to exist. I took a photograph of my eyes driving home that day at 3 p.m. because I was leaving work early. I looked in my rearview mirror, and I was crying. More than crying, I was red-eyes, tears streaming, weeping. And I was weeping out of self-pity and frustration, like a child weeps when he doesn’t understand his parents’ rules. “Why can’t I have ice cream when I ate my liver?” I took a photo of it, so I could show it to them between seasons, because as I told my girlfriend when I got home, “I think I’m going to have to quit my own show, because I can’t operate under these circumstances. I can’t be this proud of something that the people paying me to do it are this ashamed of. It will never work. We’ll never achieve anything. It’ll never connect.” So it was the best of times and the worst of times. I think that episode is fantastic. I haven’t watched it again, but I remember it as being something else. I invite people over to my house to watch the episodes with me on Thursday night that I’m really proud of, and that was definitely one of them.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »

while NBC is still paying for and airing his show, or, hell, while he's still working in the business, I have a hard time believing that he's gonna say anything to really piss them off
    *snip* I invite people over to my house to watch the episodes with me on Thursday night that I’m really proud of, and that was definitely one of them.

Man, I'm not sure what I would pay to go to Dan Harmon's house and watch an episode of Community with him. That would be pretty awesome though.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »

You’ve got Christmas, and you’ve got Dungeons & Dragons as the major political plot points in the making of Community’s second season. I was asked not to write the episode, they said “Because it won’t be an accessible topic.” I said, “I appreciate your concern, I’ll make it accessible.” This was the studio, not the network. We spent two days writing it, and we finished it, and we read it through, these two gentlemen and I at Andrew Guest’s house. His girlfriend made us Pop-Tarts and we had a little shot of cognac or something. We’d been up all night. We almost cried because we were like, “God, that was fucking hard.” And it was so satisfying. “What a nice little story this is. Let’s get to that table-read.” And we did it. We threaded the needle. We made Dungeons & Dragons accessible. We went and table-read it, and it was a great table-read, people loved it. The director, Joe Russo, was like, “I can’t wait to shoot it. I don’t have any thoughts about how to improve it. I think it’s great.”
    The studio and network response at the table-read was so removed from that. They were so upset about the crime of this episode having been written. The note session as a whole was preceded by a 45-minute period of them walking around the lot whispering to each other. They told me they would come up to my office and meet me privately. When they came up, I had the director and all of the writers in the office with me, because I was terrified. They sat down, and they said, “Look, where do we start?” I couldn’t believe this was happening. I was like, “This is opposite of how you should feel right now. This is a great episode. We’re going to get a 1.7 no matter what. We will build our ratings in other ways. The episode is not about credit cards; it’s not about Hilary Duff. It’s going to get the same numbers. There is a cultural build to a hit show. We have to prove to people that we’re capable of good things so they can trust us, so that we can have a relationship. One day we will either be a highly rated show or we’ll be cancelled. It will not have to do with this moment. This episode is good, the story is good, these characters are good. Anyone who doesn’t tune in because the commercial says they’re playing Dungeons & Dragons, it’s not my fault. It’s not on me.”
    It was such a depressing note session, because they didn’t even have any notes on the story. They just didn’t want it to exist. I took a photograph of my eyes driving home that day at 3 p.m. because I was leaving work early. I looked in my rearview mirror, and I was crying. More than crying, I was red-eyes, tears streaming, weeping. And I was weeping out of self-pity and frustration, like a child weeps when he doesn’t understand his parents’ rules. “Why can’t I have ice cream when I ate my liver?” I took a photo of it, so I could show it to them between seasons, because as I told my girlfriend when I got home, “I think I’m going to have to quit my own show, because I can’t operate under these circumstances. I can’t be this proud of something that the people paying me to do it are this ashamed of. It will never work. We’ll never achieve anything. It’ll never connect.” So it was the best of times and the worst of times. I think that episode is fantastic. I haven’t watched it again, but I remember it as being something else. I invite people over to my house to watch the episodes with me on Thursday night that I’m really proud of, and that was definitely one of them.

that's very sweet and all, but I am not gonna take stuff like that at face value. Dan Harmon is in the business of selling shows--selling them to the audience and selling them to the channel. I'm sure that there are disagreements over what sort of episodes the writers ought to write, but I don't believe that they're too drastic given the way the enterprise is conducted. More to the point, I absolutely do not believe that writing an episode about DnD when the channel is concerned about not enough people knowing about DnD to be the sort of revolutionary action that yields true art.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I loved this line so much

rKeIM.jpg

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I watched Jon Benjamin has a Van. It freaks me out how little he looks like Archer. He's so wizened and elfin.

I really liked the You Can't Shoot Here bit.

captaink on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess it is weird to me that people are just now finding out/ loving H. Jon Benjamin.

Home Movies is one of my favorite things ever. He was in a commercial with Conan a while back and I flipped out.

GRMike on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GRMike wrote: »
    I guess it is weird to me that people are just now finding out/ loving H. Jon Benjamin.

Home Movies is one of my favorite things ever. He was in a commercial with Conan a while back and I flipped out.

I guess Archer has given him a ton of exposure, but yeah to me he'll always be McGuirk.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like Home Movies. But I love Archer.

captaink on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll race, To feel the wind in my face
    And I'll race, To feel alive
    And I'll race, To feel like I own this place
    And I'll race until I die
    And I'll race against the other racers
    And I'll race with one big shout
    And I'll race against the clock
    And I'll race against myself
    And I'll race
    And I'll race

Awoooooooooooo

race!

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't understand how TV and film production works, and also some bullshit about "true art"

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Houk wrote: »
    I don't understand how TV and film production works, and also some bullshit about "true art"

nah

and "true art" wasn't my phrase, I was just borrowing it

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Houk wrote: »

nah

and "true art" wasn't my phrase, I was just borrowing it

Your post was pretty dumb regardless

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Parks and Recreation

more like

bread and circuses

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    wait

Seriously on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GRMike wrote: »

I've loved his voice for a long time, but I didn't know what he looked like until JBHV

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so they reran an episode of P&R with Natalie Morales in it last ngiht, so I tweeted about it

aaaahhhhhhhhh.png

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    is that a verified account

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    it doesn't say it's verifed

but John Hodgman follows her!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ocpmovieocpmovie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    abed-paintingweb.jpg

http://tygerbug.deviantart.com/art/Community-Abed-Danny-Pudi-213864360

Danny Pudi as Abed Nadir from Community.

Acrylic paint on a 16x20 canvas panel.

The actual painting is rather dark [if more subtle than this], so I did some post work and brightened it up in Photoshop. I've considered doing another day's work on the painting to brighten it up, but I think I might just leave it as is.

I'm also painting Annie Edison [Alison Brie].

Here are some quick pencil sketches of the entire cast of Community:
    http://orangecow.org/art/community.html

ocpmovie on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just gonna drop this right here

7wRoO.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That made me happy for like 3 seconds and now I'm just sad it doesn't really exist

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    its existence would please me
    its flavor would make me throw up

natek on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How about

Ron Swanson's Pyramid of Chocolateness

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    natek wrote: »
    nuh uh

you are lying

campion do not say such lies

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=19625433#post19625433

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    captaink on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Man, I hate the Emmys.

Nick Offerman, Rob Lowe, Chris Pratt, Aubrey Plaza, Aziz Ansari, Donald Glover, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Gillian Jacobs, Jim Dale... And they find the need to nominate Jon Cryer again.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/amy-poehler-offers-an-astute-assessment-of-nick-of,58980/
    But if you read only one post-nomination interview today, maybe make it HitFix’s talk with Amy Poehler, where the Parks And Recreation star (and Best Actress nominee) celebrates the show’s rightful Outstanding Comedy Series nod, jokes that she’ll campaign for votes by going door to door and doing “a really cool thing where I pour honey over myself,” but more importantly, addresses one of this morning’s most egregious snubs—that of her co-star Nick “Ron Fucking Swanson” Offerman. “It's a hot load of bullshit that he didn't get a nomination,” Poehler says, “and you can quote me on that.” Done and done.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:

Pardon me while my brain shuts down

• Options
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure which of those two links makes me happier

• Options
    slowslow Registered User regular
    can we get lester freamon as a registrar or something

... we can't, can we

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    holy shit guys remember a few years ago when my computer got hit by lightning

HAPPENED AGAIN LOLLLL

fuckin hell

computer seems okay this time though

my water went out, though, which is weird

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    holy wow

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote:

oh my god

OH MY GOD

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Somestickguy on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    hey! guess who else is gonna be on community this season!

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/john_goodman_beefs_up_the_seas.html

• Options
    My goodness I think I am officially anticipatory