As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The second PSN down thread... yes, there's a new one. Go post there.

• Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It was probably deleted because R* realized it was their own problem that they need to fix with a patch.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It was probably deleted because it was just another case of new game out, system played more, system finally runs into problems. It happens with lots of big games from call of duty to Halo. It happening to mostly to older systems (generate more heat) and only to some was very suspicious. I highly doubt Rockstar has a PS3 farm to do any kind of testing. Unless the firmware somehow stopped the fans from working or overclocked the cpu/gpu (which would have been all over the internet if it were the case) I don't see any way that a firmware update can cause a system to generate more heat and only in a specific game.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've actually heard Bayonetta is apparently somewhat better on the Xbox 360 (it might be the other way around, though).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Infamous is a fantastic game.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So is this the case of just the game overheating it or in general?

Edit:

Those games they are offering, ugh. Might just get Dead Nation for the hell of it and the other probably inFamous. inFamous is the one with the lighting gloves or some such right? Why couldn't they offer like Bayonetta or a good game? *Sigh*

Every single one of the games offered is superb (with the possible exception of Dead Nation, which is 'ok'). I really can't see them doing much better.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Those games they are offering, ugh. Might just get Dead Nation for the hell of it and the other probably inFamous. inFamous is the one with the lighting gloves or some such right? Why couldn't they offer like Bayonetta or a good game? *Sigh*

Yeah, offering a fantastic game like infamous is worse than offering a good game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So is this the case of just the game overheating it or in general?

My understanding is that 360s are having issues with Noir overheating as well? I remember this being a problem with GTA4 as well. For that matter, didn't GTA3 kill PS2 DVD drives?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The 360 issues with Noir seem to be different. Whatever is the cause, overheating issues are being experienced on PS3.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What the fuck

My account was charged an unauthorized $35 from the PlayStation Store

On May 18th

The store is down

WHAT THE FUCK SONY

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    .....OK seriously, that's just fucked up. How the hell can that even happen.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's teh hax0rz!

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    CHECKCARD 05/18 PLAYSTATION NETWORK 877-971-7669
    CA Debit Processing
    -$5.00

CA Debit Processing
    -$5.00

CA Debit Processing
    -$25.00

Seriously, Sony? Eat my fucking cock.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would never thought this thread would get near 100.

But the hits keep coming.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CA Debit Processing
    -$5.00

CA Debit Processing
    -$5.00

CA Debit Processing
    -$25.00

What precautions did you take after the big hack? Not being accusatory, just curious.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    CA Debit Processing
    -$5.00

CA Debit Processing
    -$5.00

CA Debit Processing
    -$25.00

What precautions did you take after the big hack? Not being accusatory, just curious.

I haven't had a chance to go to the bank yet and get a new card issued (family emergencies with my father lately, which is why I haven't been posting much either), so none really.

Hell, I'm not even too pissed about that, because if anything that would be from my own negligence.

I'm more astounded at the fact that these were for purchases made on the 18th of May.

Yesterday.

When the Store was down.

Like how it's down right fucking now.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ah. Best of luck with the family, and the charges will definitely be dropped after you give your bank a call.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nah screw that, I'm going to see them in person tomorrow.

I'm suddenly becoming weary of giving out personal information over phones and the Internet.

Plus customer service over the phone for the bank (at least Bank of America) tends to be a hassle.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am still trying to work out how this could happen. Like maybe they used your info to purchase a PSN card?

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PSN cards come in $10, $20 and $50 denominations only.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Weird. You'd think if the hacker could put in whatever name for the charge they want, they'd pick something less obviously fake than a service that's been famously out of commission for the last month.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    PSN cards come in $10, $20 and $50 denominations only.

Then I have no idea what the hell has happened here. Someone at sony accidentally made the charge maybe? Or the bank accidentally duplicated an older charge?

This is seriously weird stuff.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Isn't there a good chance the charges are fraudulent and hence nothing to do with PSN?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    When you make a fraudulent charge though, doesn't it still have to be for a product or service that actually exists at the time?

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Isn't there a 99% chance the charges are fraudulent and hence totally related to all the screwups sony has been doing with the PSN?

fixed.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is the PS Store up yet?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Recap:

First, Sony was victim of a hack attack that leaked millions of personal and CC info. Sony shut down PSN immediately but waited a week to tell their customers.

Sony promised a fix in a week, but then SOE was hacked, causing the fix to be delayed even further. In the meantime, several people got the CCs charged with stuff they didn't ask for.

Sony then offered free games when PSN returned to make up for it, but an exploit was found where someone could hack your account by simply knowing your e-mail and birthdate.

Later, reports were found that certain games with the new firmware were causing consoles to overheat.

Logic dictates the next firmware update will solve any previous problems, but will cause those who play their updated PS3s to be turned into stone.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jave wrote: »
    Recap:

First, Sony was victim of a hack attack that leaked millions of personal and CC info. Sony shut down PSN immediately but waited a week to tell their customers.

Sony promised a fix in a week, but then SOE was hacked, causing the fix to be delayed even further. In the meantime, several people got the CCs charged with stuff they didn't ask for.

Sony then offered free games when PSN returned to make up for it, but an exploit was found where someone could hack your account by using the same exact information they obtained from the initial hack.

Later, reports were found that certain games with the new firmware were causing consoles to overheat.

Logic dictates the next firmware update will solve any previous problems, but will cause those who play their updated PS3s to be turned into stone.

fixed for even more what the fuckery.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jave wrote: »
    Later, [strike]reports were found that certain games with the new firmware were causing consoles to overheat.[/strike] another one of Rockstar's games causes system lockups and they try to shift blame onto the console.

JAEF on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Is the PS Store up yet?

Nope, probably not until the end of the month.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    By the way, the free game offer's only until the end of the month. :lol:

(Kidding. I hope.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Is the PS Store up yet?

Nope, probably not until the end of the month.
    vader.jpg

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hahaha, don't even joke like that! :x Knowing Sony it's true. I bet we've been getting our free PSN+ time as well since the service came back up.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pretty pissed I can't register my code to play online with MK9, I've used up my free trial now.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Pretty pissed I can't register my code to play online with MK9, I've used up my free trial now.
    You might be stuck waiting another 5 days :?

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ooh that's good news at least! Coming back sooner than expected. :D

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    You might be stuck waiting another 5 days :?

Why the :? face? That's actually better than we were lead to believe last time Sony talked about it, which was along the lines of "we're shooting for May 31. Kinda. We hope."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hopefully the rock central servers get up soon, as well.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh great. So I go in last night (after changing the password on Sunday or whenever) to change my e-mail address as a precaution. PSN signs in fine; try to change account and enter password.. doesn't work. Try the OLD password..doesn't work, try several combinations of password possibilities.. doesn't work. So I think maybe I need to reset password again (like maybe it didn't take). Mind you, i had gotten all my PSN password reset e-mails and confirmaiton when i made the initial change, and none since then..

Little did i know that asking for a reset on the PS3 eventually leads me back to the PS3 site that is under maintanence. So no wi am locked out for ???? who knows? weeks? months?

Not sure what to do at this point.. can I call in a reset? will they even beleive it is me? And why wasn't it taking my password in the first place? I'm pretty sure of the password I chose.

At least PC games still work.

Marlowe on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CA Debit Processing
    -$5.00

CA Debit Processing
    -$5.00

CA Debit Processing
    -$25.00

i got this too, for $19.98

im on hold with sony right now to ask them what the fuck, then im calling my bank i guess

Ah_Pook on