As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The second PSN down thread... yes, there's a new one. Go post there.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Got my passwords changed.

Only problem is now that I've had time away from my PS3, I've detached and don't really have a desire to play anymore.

Maybe I'll just sell the thing.

Huh? You have no use for the PS3 other than its sparse online capabilities? Cause I mean, I played it plenty during the downtime. You can get a lot of single player stuff done.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well he finally realized that he doesn't really need the PS3 to live. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't touched my PS3 for this whole PSN downtime either, but that's more because my HDMI to DVI cable broke and I was too lazy to buy a new one.

Anyway, I bought LA Noire.

Also, a question: My father has a PS3 but he rarely uses it. He recently switched from Roadrunner cable internet to Verizon FiOS. As a result, his Roadrunner email account is now defunct, and that was also his primary PSN ID. Is there a way to switch his PSN account to his new email account? He wants to make sure he receives the welcome back package.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Got my passwords changed.

Only problem is now that I've had time away from my PS3, I've detached and don't really have a desire to play anymore.

Maybe I'll just sell the thing.

Huh? You have no use for the PS3 other than its sparse online capabilities? Cause I mean, I played it plenty during the downtime. You can get a lot of single player stuff done.

Are the PS3's online capabilities any sparser than the other consoles?

Justice on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't touched my PS3 for this whole PSN downtime either, but that's more because my HDMI to DVI cable broke and I was too lazy to buy a new one.

Also, a question: My father has a PS3 but he rarely uses it. He recently switched from Roadrunner cable internet to Verizon FiOS. As a result, his Roadrunner email account is now defunct, and that was also his primary PSN ID. Is there a way to switch his PSN account to his new email account? He wants to make sure he receives the welcome back package.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Drez wrote: »

I'm assuming that he's downloaded at least one thing from PSN.

When he gets the newest system update it'll prompt him to change his password. After that he can log in and change the email attached to his PSN id in Account Management. It'll send an email to both the old and the new address, but it shouldn't matter if it bounces back from the roadrunner one. When I moved from one account to another the 2 emails I got were of the "Hey a thing happened! If you didn't instigate said thing please contact support!"

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it depends on if he created a PSN account or not. I assume he could have just used it as a BR Player or whatever and never touched that stuff, which would exclude him from the Welcome Back program.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're from Thailand or Italy, then you're probably bitching Sony the fuck out right about now.

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jesus Christ.

It is open season on Sony right now.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a feeling that any given company as big as Sony has as many of these issues going on all the time, it's all just making the rounds right now because lolsony. People are specifically digging for this stuff and reposting it all over now.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Unlike the PSN and SOE break-ins, this hack is not likely to have any serious consequences; it should be restricted to a relatively unimportant Web server that has no access to sensitive customer information. Still, it shows that Sony's online troubles aren't over yet—and that the entire company needs to take online security more seriously.

As much facepalm as I have had about PSN, I don't think it's fair to imply that Sony isn't taking online security seriously, especially right now.

Rend on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It seems like some people approach this as if Sony only has one IT guy handling all their security.

JAEF on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a feeling that any given company as big as Sony has as many of these issues going on all the time, it's all just making the rounds right now because lolsony. People are specifically digging for this stuff and reposting it all over now.

They're also pretty much wearing huge target that says "I dare you to hack me" right about now. At least I'd assume so, with all the publicity I think every hacker trying to make a name would be gunning for them.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    It seems like some people approach this as if Sony only has one IT guy handling all their security.

Oh my god... it all makes sense!

Kazuo Hirai is John Hammond, the beleaguered man in charge who desperately tries to convince everyone else that everything is under control when it's obvious that it's not.

The Japanese Government is Donald Gennaro, who, in light of a recent tragic incident, won't let the [strike]park[/strike] PSN open until it is declared safe.

The PA Forums are Ian Malcolm, the guy who sits around snarkily mentioning that no matter how bad the situation is right now, it is probably going to get worse.

Kevin Butler is Robert Muldoon, the badass game warden who will end up dying as a result of his overconfidence.

The Hackers are the velociraptors, who spend the majority of their time running around and ripping up everything they can get their hands on.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Kazuo Hirai is John Hammond, the beleaguered man in charge who desperately tries to convince everyone else that everything is under control when it's obvious that it's not.

The Japanese Government is Donald Gennaro, who, in light of a recent tragic incident, won't let the [strike]park[/strike] PSN open until it is declared safe.

The PA Forums are Ian Malcolm, the guy who sits around snarkily mentioning that no matter how bad the situation is right now, it is probably going to get worse.

Kevin Butler is Robert Muldoon, the badass game warden who will end up dying as a result of his overconfidence.

The Hackers are the velociraptors, who spend the majority of their time running around and ripping up everything they can get their hands on.

dy7li.jpg

Uh, now, uh... If there is one thing the history of the internet has taught us it's that hackers will not be contained. Hackers break free, expand to new servers, and crash through every firewall, painfully, maybe even dangerously.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Earth Girls are Easy

MikeMan on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're from Thailand or Italy, then you're probably bitching Sony the fuck out right about now.

Good work pinning blame on the attacks there, Arstechnica. It was Anonymous! Must have been, because the Internet said so. Fit to print.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    if you have multiple psn users on one ps3, are the welcome back offers applicable just to one?

like is it a per console offer, or per user offer?

ostensibly could one household get all the games between having multiple psn users on one console?

again

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    if you have multiple psn users on one ps3, are the welcome back offers applicable just to one?

like is it a per console offer, or per user offer?

ostensibly could one household get all the games between having multiple psn users on one console?

again

No one outside of Sony knows anything about the Welcome back program other than the list of games.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

dy7li.jpg

Uh, now, uh... If there is one thing the history of the internet has taught us it's that hackers will not be contained. Hackers break free, expand to new servers, and crash through every firewall, painfully, maybe even dangerously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBxgAmdPQWg

Henroid on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

Good work pinning blame on the attacks there, Arstechnica. It was Anonymous! Must have been, because the Internet said so. Fit to print.

They didn't accuse Anonymous of the attacks that brought down PSN, just the DoS from over a month ago (which Anonymous openly took credit for).

Billmaan on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-sony-hacker-idUSTRE74J3Z820110520

Wow this is getting a little sad. But, as said above, this type of thing probably happens all the time but we never really hear about it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Billmaan wrote: »
    They didn't accuse Anonymous of the attacks that brought down PSN, just the DoS from over a month ago (which Anonymous openly took credit for).
    The fact that this keeps getting sprinkled in to every new story about Sony, no matter how unrelated, is beyond stupid.

JAEF on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

Wow this is getting a little sad. But, as said above, this type of thing probably happens all the time but we never really hear about it.

Again??

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Again??
    OK, wow, this is just pathetic at this point. Just how screwed up Sony's security is?

Something is going to happen at E3. I'm sure of it.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

GETTING?

As easy as it is to say, "Get your shit together Sony!" (which is fucking true) this is also the result of a lot of hackers seeing easy-pickings.

Henroid on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    From now on, it's more and more likely that every little bit of hack, intrusion, and digital distruption that wizzes in Sony's direction will be plastered across thousands of news sites at every turn. Tried to hack into Sony's store? You get a headline! Steal some Sony pay cards? You get a headline! The guy at the receipt desk shortchange you some pennies after buying a new Playstation 3? You get a headline!

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Someone have a running log of these hits? Yes all large targets are constantly under attack but so many successful attacks in such a short time frame is just beyond hilarious.

PS3 Jailbroken (including because "return 4; // guaranteed to be random")
    PSN data lost
    SOE data lost
    PSN password reset web service compromised
    Some Sony servers hijacked to host phishing sites
    Some PSN funds stolen

Am I missing anything? I'm not counting the DDoS.

Edit: They better hope that only $1k was stolen. Can't trust Sony with your CC#. Can't trust Sony with your online wallet. They had better start making PSN cards in $1 denominations.

Edit: Tweaked the list

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    This is amazing.

I got a fraudulent charge for 29.27 on my account from PSN yesterday, on an ALREADY CANCELLED CARD, and my bank refuses to do anything about it. They say I have to work with PSN. I call them and I get the automated run around and then it hangs up on me.

I hate you so much Sony.

If it is on a canceled card then how is it in any way your problem?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Someone have a running log of these hits? Yes all large targets are constantly under attack but so many successful attacks in such a short time frame is just beyond hilarious.

PS3 Jailbroken (including because "return 4; // guaranteed to be random")
    PSN data lost
    SOE data lost
    PSN password reset web service compromised
    Some PSN servers hijacked to host phishing sites
    Some PSN funds stolen

Am I missing anything? I'm not counting the DDoS.

Whoa what? I didn't hear about that one.

Henroid on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fixed my list. It was posted a page back that the web server hosting Sony's Thai site was hacked to host a phishing site targeting an Italian credit card company.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I should probably start using those PSN cards I always see at the store now.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    This is amazing.

I got a fraudulent charge for 29.27 on my account from PSN yesterday, on an ALREADY CANCELLED CARD, and my bank refuses to do anything about it. They say I have to work with PSN. I call them and I get the automated run around and then it hangs up on me.

I hate you so much Sony.

Um, if your bank allowed a fraudulent charge to go through on a cancelled card why are you hating Sony?

*edit* You're in the US right?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ^^^ Because his bank told him to talk to Sony...who refuses to talk to him.
    Likely his bank wants confirmation that Sony was told to cancel the account or that the card was old, and that it's okay to undo the account before they just slap a Fraudulent Charge on the charge, cancel it, and move on.
    V Faction wrote: »
    From now on, it's more and more likely that every little bit of hack, intrusion, and digital distruption that wizzes in Sony's direction will be plastered across thousands of news sites at every turn. Tried to hack into Sony's store? You get a headline! Steal some Sony pay cards? You get a headline! The guy at the receipt desk shortchange you some pennies after buying a new Playstation 3? You get a headline!

Yeah, poor Sony.
    It's really so hard to ask that they don't put their online service back online until they know what the fuck the problem is, or make sure it's more secure than last time and not just go "We should be okay THIS time, right?"

It's totally just people picking on poor Sony. Not Sony proving again and again that whatever the fuck competence they had is either gone or a fluke.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When you call your bank and tell them about a fraudulent charge they're supposed to file a chargeback to the company in question who can then make the argument that it was fraudulent or not. His bank's being a dick to him just so they don't have to do some paperwork.

Opty on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    V Faction wrote: »

Yeah, poor Sony.
    It's really so hard to ask that they don't put their online service back online until they know what the fuck the problem is, or make sure it's more secure than last time and not just go "We should be okay THIS time, right?"

It's totally just people picking on poor Sony. Not Sony proving again and again that whatever the fuck competence they had is either gone or a fluke.

Uh, I meant it more to an effect of that Sony's going to be scrutinized to the max now, regardless of whatever happens, no matter how small (relative to the hack) the issue is or the amount of people affected. It's a bit like extracting the effect from a medicinal plant--you up the potency of the effectiveness but also amplify the symptoms. The little threats from hackers made in the past or warnings of an unsecure system that would've been ignored before are most definitely going to grab mainstream attention. Sony is now under surveillance from tons of groups, from the F.B.I to their own Japanese government and definitely the greater public eye.

I have no feelings in the matter, but I do (or did) find some amusement in how many headlines tend to spring up on sites that rarely may have cared in the past about the going-on's of PSN, especially the lawsuits. Getting the online multiplayer restored and Kaz's big smiling mug seems to have sedated the larger beast a bit to my dismay (till that exploit and that Sony Thai intrusion--zing!), but as I said, the fun probably won't ever be over for Sony.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I'm trying to get my password reset on my old SOE account to get my debix password, and I'm wondering if the SOE and PSN accounts are linked. In other words, when I changed my PSN password a few days ago when PSN went back up, did that also change my SOE password, or are those separate?

Darlan on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    just out of curiosity how does a PSN charge go through when the store is still down?

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It probably gets sent to a finance-verification system separate from the store, likely a third-party processing company.

I've had charges on my Chase card disappear and reappear days later, even after they've posted. Don't think anything as long a a month, though.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    So I'm trying to get my password reset on my old SOE account to get my debix password, and I'm wondering if the SOE and PSN accounts are linked. In other words, when I changed my PSN password a few days ago when PSN went back up, did that also change my SOE password, or are those separate?
    Completely different services.

JAEF on