As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cycling Injury

Chaos PunkChaos Punk Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Last year I did two century rides to Ocean City from Baltimore. Both times we were behind schedule so I hit the heaviest gears to get it done quickly (around 22mph avg after the 50 mile mark). Long story short, I over did it.

Ever since then my right knee has been killing me if I try to cycle uphill. It doesn't hurt at all when I walk, only when I do revolutions on the pedals. It's the outer part of my knee on the right side. I've tried to stay in easier gears, pedal slower, even got a professional fitting done. Nothing I've done on my own seems to help... and going to a doctor is hella expensive.

If anybody here cycles, and knows about knee injuries...let me know what you think could help. I don't want to stop cycling.

We are all the man behind the curtain.... pay no attention to any of us
Chaos Punk on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We're not quite at Deus Ex levels here, you only get one body. Seriously consider seeing a doctor.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SunDragonSunDragon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do you use clipless? If you do, consider trying a pedal with more float. It may give you the side to side movement you need to eliminate the pain.

SunDragon on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    good be that your ergonomics of the bike are slightly off putting extra strain on your knee. I know the place where i did PT did bike fittings, that might be worth it to get everything dialed in

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SunDragon wrote: »
    Do you use clipless? If you do, consider trying a pedal with more float. It may give you the side to side movement you need to eliminate the pain.

I'm going to be upgrading my components this month, which includes making the switch over to the clipless pedals. The PT that did my fitting said it would probably help my pain since being hooked into the pedals generally make the rpms more scientific.

Chaos Punk on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Chaos Punk wrote: »
    make the rpms more scientific.

What in the world does that mean?

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Midshipman wrote: »
    make the rpms more scientific.

What in the world does that mean?

rpms = revolutions per minute. Basically, having clipless pedals keeps your feet restrained so that your movement is more aerodynamic, and you won't slip off. Safer, more poweful cycling, as long as they're adjusted correctly.

Chaos Punk on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I know what rpms are. I also know that clipless pedals/shoes give you more cycling power. Scientific rpms doesn't mean anything however. Do the rpms form hypotheses and run re-creatable tests to form a conclusion?

If that phrase was used by the guy that did your fitting, you should probably look somewhere else for someone who isn't just spouting nonsense. If you just badly paraphrased an actual explanation from the guy who did your fitting, then please disregard my rant.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    rpms = revolutions per minute. Basically, having clipless pedals keeps your feet restrained so that your movement is more aerodynamic, and you won't slip off. Safer, more poweful cycling, as long as they're adjusted correctly.

The main point about clipless pain wise is that they allow for your feet to twist a few degrees which is not possible with clips and not really happening with platform pedals.

Depending on choice of pedals and cleats clipless pedals will offer more or less room for twisting. Make sure you get what's best for you. Often MTB pedals will offer a bit more play than road pedals and the weight penalty is almost nothing if you go with something like the eggbeaters:

494299992_5cba443362_o.jpg

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Eh, see if you can see a PT about it, and take some time off the bike. Probably just a strained PCL/ACL/MCL (one of them, anyway). Crunching on heavier gears puts more pressure on the tendons, which come back slower than muscles.
    Oh, maybe do some yoga?

schuss on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are your toes pointing inward at all when you pedal? Do your knees bow out? Having your feet deflecting from the direction your knees are pointing is the quickest way to injure your knees during exercise. Sometimes you can get away with it for a long, long time, then the stress just accumulates or you push yourself extra hard and bam, now your knee hates you.

Namrok on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Namrok wrote: »
    Are your toes pointing inward at all when you pedal? Do your knees bow out? Having your feet deflecting from the direction your knees are pointing is the quickest way to injure your knees during exercise. Sometimes you can get away with it for a long, long time, then the stress just accumulates or you push yourself extra hard and bam, now your knee hates you.

My knees slightly bow outward. Hasn't caused my left knee any trouble. The PT at speed-fit told me that I was riding with bad measurements (handle bars were too far out, seat was too low), and I did thousands of miles in that position over 2 years time. Last summer I did two century rides in heavy gears (minimum hills). Ever since then my knee has been fucked. I took the fall and winter off hoping it would help. I also got the bike fitted since then. When I got back on this early spring, it went right back to hurting again. Doesn't hurt when I walk or run though.

I appreciate the input.

Chaos Punk on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When you're riding now what sort of rpm's do you pedal with?

Many people pedal with to low rpm's which puts extra strain on the knees. Maybe you're doing it as well meaning even though you think that currently you ride in low gears but in fact they are not really that low.

I'd recommend at least 90 rpm and even higher is not wrong as long as you're not loosing control or have to use energy to keep the feet on the pedals.

Also. Get the clipless pedals now even if you upgrade nothing else (they are easy to move from bike to bike if needed). The twisting movement clipless pedals allows can make a huge difference.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    When you're riding now what sort of rpm's do you pedal with?

Many people pedal with to low rpm's which puts extra strain on the knees. Maybe you're doing it as well meaning even though you think that currently you ride in low gears but in fact they are not really that low.

I'd recommend at least 90 rpm and even higher is not wrong as long as you're not loosing control or have to use energy to keep the feet on the pedals.

Also. Get the clipless pedals now even if you upgrade nothing else (they are easy to move from bike to bike if needed). The twisting movement clipless pedals allows can make a huge difference.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My cadence(sp?) was pretty much off. I was doing no where near 90rpm. I definitely want to get the clipless pedals. I actualy had a guy at bike doctor shocked that I did two century rides on platform pedals with running shoes. I guess I should have researched it more.

Chaos Punk on
  • Options
    AltaliciousAltalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's the outer part of my knee on the right side. I've tried to stay in easier gears, pedal slower, even got a professional fitting done. Nothing I've done on my own seems to help... and going to a doctor is hella expensive.

If anybody here cycles, and knows about knee injuries...let me know what you think could help. I don't want to stop cycling.

I only make this call because I've had the same injury before, and the physio diagnosed it over the phone because it's apparently such a common cycling injury:

Sounds like ITBS (Illiotibial Band Syndrome), which is caused most often in cyclists by overexertion and friction of the ITB over the knee joint. The specific injury can vary, including thickening of the muscle and/or strain at the tendon attachment to the bone. The pain / effect can range from sharp pain on impact, pain on the muscle moving over the knee joint, or generic muscle soreness which increases with or after exercise.

Unfortunately, the range of causes / potential injuries also means that assigning treatment without understanding the specific injury is a bad idea. The generic suggestion of plenty of rest doesn't seem to have worked. It may be that the pain is related to a bone spur, your leg bio mechanics or other individual characteristic, which could be why it recurs after a period of rest.

I would say you definitely need to see a physio or sports doctor to find out exactly what is wrong. After that, you will likely be given a set of exercises / stretches to try and loosen what appears to have become a chronic muscle problem - I would suggest that at the absolute minimum a single consult or diagnosis is required to work out what the problem is, even if you don't return for multiple treatments and rely on personal exercises afterwards. If this is impossible for various reasons, there are resources on the web if you search for ITBS, but the usual rule of internet unreliability obviously applies.

Altalicious on