As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Storyboarding

kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Artist's Corner
Let's talk about the fine art of storyboarding.

I'll start with a question:

(I'm getting frustrated waiting for ConceptArt.org to activate my account so I can ask a question; I guess I'll post it here in the meantime.)

I'm being 'tested' by a software company looking to hire a storyboard artist. At 5:40 pm (local time)yesterday, I was given a script for a 20-frame conversation and asked to have the 20 images produced and submitted by the end of day Wednesday (the 4th). This seems like a really short period of time (especially considering that I currently hold a full-time job).

My question is: How long should it take, realistically, to produce 20 storyboard frames?

kingworks on

• Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Generally, to make a thread in the art forum, you need to post art. There is a questions thread.

However, to answer your question before this thing gets locked, it should take around 5 or 6 hours to create 15-20 uncolored frames. Definitely not unheard of to create something like that in a day. If you hold a full time job, work on it during lunch, and the knock it out when you get home.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Many thanks!

I shall endeavor to post correctly in the future. ^_^"

kingworks on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Instead of locking im sure we would all enjoy seeing your storyboard progress here. And no. That isn't too short of a time. Storyboards can be VERY basic.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Taking a break: I'm currently on image 10/20.

I've been going all digital - Photoshop and an outdated Graphire 4. It's looser and sloppier than using a pencil, but goes faster due to the ability to reuse elements.

kingworks on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    Hey mate, are you going to post any of your story boards in here? If not I'm going to have to close this thread and you can feel free to discuss your storyboard endeavors in the chat or questions threads.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes, I am.

After a marathon drawing session yesterday [Insert "My wrist is so sore" jokes here] I finally got all 20 images done for the prospective employer.

First, some details:

I was told to use a 16:9 ratio and to "provide as much detail as you think is necessary to convey the narrative." I'm being evaluated on the following criteria:
    • Composition and Layout
    • Narrative flow and continuity
    • Expressions and Gestures (should be natural, but unambiguous)
    • Clarity (can the image be read easily and be understood)
    • Economy of Line
    • Interpretation of story and visual problem solving

Next, here is the script they sent me (I wasn't asked to keep this private, so I guess it's okay?):
    airplane_script.jpg

And here are my storyboards (assembled at 3 images to a page)
    airplane_page-1.jpg
    airplane_page-2.jpg
    airplane_page-3.jpg
    airplane_page-4.jpg
    airplane_page-5.jpg
    airplane_page-6.jpg
    airplane_page-7.jpg

kingworks on
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Art aside (I'll leave that to the more qualified individuals), I notice you leaving a lot of "director comments". Most directors hate it when writers or storyboarders add things like "Depending on the model's rigging, it might be worth giving Yukio a shrug in this panel" and "take note that the headset has changed hands." These are things the director and animator will be responsible for (or actors, if it was live action). Your job as a storyboard artist is to block out the camera angles and framing. I believe the average for an angle change is 8-15 seconds, faster if there is a lot of dialog.

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Good to know.

This is for language-teaching software, if that makes any difference.

kingworks on