As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GMAT

DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's DaughterIn love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've signed up to take the GMAT.

I'm the kind of person who has never studied for anythign and relied solely on logic and reasoning to get my way through school and any kind of testing.

I have a terrible time studying because of ADD and not taking medicine(I'll stare at all the squirrels I want, thank you very much).

So I guess my question is... how far can logic and reasoning (maybe finding and working on random sample questions) realistically get me on the GMAT? For those of you who have taken it, what is it like?

Thank you in advance.

edit: I'm looking to score around a 500... whatever that means.

DemonStacey on

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    a 500 is a pretty low score. You could probably get that cold.

Deebaser on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    a 500 is a pretty low score. You could probably get that cold.

That's what I like to hear!

DemonStacey on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I suggest studying some of the basic stuff, simply so you're prepared for the type of questions that are asked. When I took the GRE, the triangle questions weren't at all difficult -- because in studying they cover all the standard non-calculator triangle questions. Same with a lot of the written questions. It's not so much that you need to study and regurgitate, but rather you should study to be prepared for the type of questions that are used.

That's not nearly as dreadful as studying rote lists, so you shouldn't have as much trouble even with ADD. A 500 is a lowish score, but you don't want to not study and end up under your benchmark simply because you didn't care to prepare a bit.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aye, that's why I figured I could atleast look at sample questions to see what to expect.

Anyone who has taken it want to chime in?

DemonStacey on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can I ask what you're doing this for?
    Is this a bet, or are you actually trying to get into B School?
    If the latter, you really should try and aim quite a bit higher than a 500 (unless of course you have connections and/or a sick GPA + amazing personal statement.)

Also, I don't mean to scare you, but you probably won't be able to coast as easily as you were in undergrad (assuming you didn't receive a hard science degree). You will have to study some pretty stupid shit.

Just a heads up from one lazy dude to another.

Deebaser on
    edited May 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Can I ask what you're doing this for?
    Is this a bet, or are you actually trying to get into B School?
    If the latter, you really should try and aim quite a bit higher than a 500 (unless of course you have connections and/or a sick GPA + amazing personal statement.)

Also, I don't mean to scare you, but you probably won't be able to coast as easily as you were in undergrad (assuming you didn't receive a hard science degree). You will have to study some pretty stupid shit.

Just a heads up from one lazy dude to another.

Work is paying for it, if I get an MBA I can get a nice Manager position.

The school I'm looking at has a 3.2 avg GPA and 496 avg GMAT for their MBA program.

I certainly appreciate lazy guy advice :P

DemonStacey on
    edited May 2011
    Oh, word. Nice deal. I'm in a similar situation myself (Lazy Man Hi 5)

More GMAT fun facts: The test is adaptive. The better you do, the harder shit gets. I got in the low 600s and the geometry had questions like:

find the area of this rectangle that has a circle in the middle carved out.

Deebaser on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Your views may vary, but I'd much rather spend more time studying how to take the test and getting used to the questions, than agonizing over essays(if your school has them), if you're going for a 500.

I don't know how fast your capacity for logic and reasoning works, but I don't think you have time to apply that on the test. I strongly suggest spending the ~25 bucks on the book and practicing the questions in small chunks at least, find out your weakest area, and do what you can to focus on that.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you are actually lazy, be prepared for a shock. Managing a 9-5 and an MBA is going to take some time management unless you are a recluse. In other words, I'd try to get a handle on your ADD before attempting it.

Per credit hour I probably spent as much time on my MBA coursework as I did on my engineering undergrad. Granted the material wasn't as hard, but it was plenty time consuming and at times required a lot of focus. And I didn't go to Kellogg or anything.

Saammiel on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My experience so far, in a program with average grades and GMAT scores that are similar, is that it's relatively easy so far, when taking two classes at night per semester. It certainly varies upwards, primarily for writing-heavy group projects. Of course, I haven't been diagnosed with ADD, so yeah, maybe consider studying for the GMAT as a test of your ability to buckle down and focus.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for all the ideas and help.

I have the prep CD so I can study from that somewhat. I'll worry about the classes when the time comes. One step at a time.

DemonStacey on
  • steamypilesteamypile Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Buy one of those gmat question books and just grind questions. They'll help you get a sense of what to expect and you can just logic out the things that you don't quite understand.

What kind of school has a sub 500 gmat avg? That's terribly low...though I guess if all you want is the MBA rubber stamp anything will do?

steamypile on
  • PlushyCthulhuPlushyCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

I'm the kind of person who has never studied for anythign and relied solely on logic and reasoning to get my way through school and any kind of testing.

I have a terrible time studying because of ADD and not taking medicine(I'll stare at all the squirrels I want, thank you very much).

So I guess my question is... how far can logic and reasoning (maybe finding and working on random sample questions) realistically get me on the GMAT? For those of you who have taken it, what is it like?

Thank you in advance.

Have you taken the GRE? Or at least the SAT? The GMAT is on the computer and adaptive, but those will at least give you a baseline. I personally didn't study study very much at all, but I did take a whole bunch of practice tests to refresh my skills and I always went back and figured out why I got things wrong.

There are a couple of unique question types that you should at least practice. On the quant side, there is a sufficiency question where you are deciding if the two statements given are enough to answer the question (A is enough but B isn't, B is but A isn't, need both, need either, or neither) but you don't actually have to solve it. If you haven't practiced at least a little those questions are total curveballs.

On the verbal side, I found it easier than the GRE. 2/3rds is comprehension/critical reasoning, the one other section is grammar, which is a little weird but practicable.

The essay you can probably just wing it.

So yeah, at least take some practice tests to get yourself a baseline. If you're well above your mark you can feel comfortable, if you're well below you know what you need to work on.

As for aiming for a 500, try to aim higher, at least if your work might pay for a better school. MBAs are a bit like law degrees in that the school you went to does matter in terms of recruiting and options opened. A crappy local school might get you a promotion, but if you can work a little harder and get into a stronger place you have a better shot of leveraging it down the line.

PlushyCthulhu on
    Steam/LoL: plushycthulhu
    edited May 2011
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Thank you in advance.

Have you taken the GRE? Or at least the SAT? The GMAT is on the computer and adaptive, but those will at least give you a baseline. I personally didn't study study very much at all, but I did take a whole bunch of practice tests to refresh my skills and I always went back and figured out why I got things wrong.

There are a couple of unique question types that you should at least practice. On the quant side, there is a sufficiency question where you are deciding if the two statements given are enough to answer the question (A is enough but B isn't, B is but A isn't, need both, need either, or neither) but you don't actually have to solve it. If you haven't practiced at least a little those questions are total curveballs.

On the verbal side, I found it easier than the GRE. 2/3rds is comprehension/critical reasoning, the one other section is grammar, which is a little weird but practicable.

The essay you can probably just wing it.

So yeah, at least take some practice tests to get yourself a baseline. If you're well above your mark you can feel comfortable, if you're well below you know what you need to work on.

As for aiming for a 500, try to aim higher, at least if your work might pay for a better school. MBAs are a bit like law degrees in that the school you went to does matter in terms of recruiting and options opened. A crappy local school might get you a promotion, but if you can work a little harder and get into a stronger place you have a better shot of leveraging it down the line.

I have a BA so I've taken the SATs.

Thanks for this advice, it's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

DemonStacey on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd agree that the GMAT is easier than the GRE, especially for the Verbal section, but both are obviously significantly harder than the SAT (though the math is the same...I had to brush up on geometry after doing Calculus for 5 years).

a5ehren on
  • WhacktoseWhacktose Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Personally, I ran out of time on the quant section (note: do NOT do this. You are penalized much more heavily for questions unanswered than questions wrong). I found that section more difficult because I actually had to remember the math I learned in grade school and haven't touched since as opposed to the verbal section which I use on a daily basis. Doing practice tests on a computer is the way to go, it gives you an accurate feel for the test and allows you to practice time-keeping more effectively.

Whacktose on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Whacktose wrote: »
    Personally, I ran out of time on the quant section (note: do NOT do this. You are penalized much more heavily for questions unanswered than questions wrong). I found that section more difficult because I actually had to remember the math I learned in grade school and haven't touched since as opposed to the verbal section which I use on a daily basis. Doing practice tests on a computer is the way to go, it gives you an accurate feel for the test and allows you to practice time-keeping more effectively.

Same thing happened to me - I ran out of time on the last question. I wound up with a 710 overall, but in the 76th percentile in the quant section. On the practice tests I had been averaging around 750.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    edited May 2011
    Whacktose wrote: »

SUPER helpful to know! Thank you!

And my practice disc arrived (in only a few days and totally free!)... so I'll look at that eventually.

DemonStacey on
  • AceCoxswainAceCoxswain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It might be overkill if you just need to aim for a 500, but Kaplan has a book called "GMAT Advanced" that has only hard questions. Most books have questions ranging in difficulty, but if you study well and get several questions right at the start, you won't be seeing and more easy questions on the real test.

Also, the online tests you can take on the official site are adaptive and you'll get different questions depending on how you do, so it's useful to go through them more than once to see how hard things get once you nail the easier questions.

AceCoxswain on
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You're going to have to put a modicum of effort in studying for this.. via practice tests or one of those Kaplan study guides. The last thing you want to be is surprised on a time-sensitive test.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif