As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

External USB hard drive not working, has it died?

Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/themNorth Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend's external USB hard drive suddenly stopped working.

It's a 1TB "iomega" brand drive. She had been extracting files from a .zip file onto her desktop (not from the external drive) when OS X popped up to notify her that the drive had been improperly ejected, which was odd because a) it was still plugged in, and b) she hadn't done anything with it. She tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, but it wouldn't work.

I just tried the drive on my Windows 7 PC, and it reports that the device "has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." There doesn't appear to be any way to repair the device from within Win7 it OS X.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is the drive dead? Is the data lost? Is there any way we can fix this without having to pay some dude a hojillion dollars?

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
Squirminator2k on

• Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's a possibility that there's an issue with the USB cable or the SATA-to-USB interface inside the enclosure, rather than an issue with the drive itself. Is it still under warranty?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The cable isn't the issue - we've tried alternate cables and still get the same problem. She's had it for a couple of years so it's not under warranty.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Then try removing the drive and putting it into a new enclosure, or using it as an internal drive, and see if that works.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i have to jump trough fiery hoops if i ever accidentally unplug my USB discs.

Spotlight for disc manager (or whatever it's called in english)
    plug in the disc and see if it pops up in any form in there.
    then try to remove the disc.

That usually doesn't work for me, but i use my thorndike's cat approach and randomly alternate between:
    - wait
    - eject it trough disc manager
    - unplug
    - plug it in
    - more waiting
    - cursing

and one of those generally does the trick...

The_Glad_Hatter on