As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Frowbakk wrote: »
    Hasslefree miniatures has a big range of juveniles. I ordered a bunch to be an objective markers and the like.

Check out my post in the 40K thread on the 2nd or 3rd page. It has links to non-GW, but cool miniature companies.

Thanks, some of those hasslefree ones look pretty good!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    54mph winds and pouring rain. I suspect I will have trouble priming models today. ;(

J on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Asher wrote: »
    I can't stop Painting! HELPPPPPPP.

That frog thing is disturbing and awesome. Great job!

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not quite done yet, but this is the Assault Cannon Razorback I've been working on over the past week:

razorback-asscannon.JPG

I magnetized the dozer blade on this and my other Lascannon Razorback. Took me a while to line them all up right.

razorback-dozer.JPG

Today is a holiday up here in Canada, so I spent a couple hours starting on my Librarian as well.

libi-wip.JPG

Sharp101 on
  • NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That looks nice Sharp. It's a cool conversion, and I really like the extra armour. Did you make it yourself, or did you buy it from some third party manufacturer?

Niklas on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What primer(s) did you use on those?
    (I can't find a decent grey primer anywhere - the last one I tried turned out to be waterproof, thus making water-based acrylic essentially bounce off)

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Niklas wrote: »
    That looks nice Sharp. It's a cool conversion, and I really like the extra armour. Did you make it yourself, or did you buy it from some third party manufacturer?

Thanks dude. I got the armour from Chapterhouse. Although it wouldn't be that hard to make yourself.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What primer(s) did you use on those?
    (I can't find a decent grey primer anywhere - the last one I tried turned out to be waterproof, thus making water-based acrylic essentially bounce off)

I use Army Painter. It's both primer and a basecoat:

TAPCP3010.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This thread should just be renamed the army painter love in. Since that's what every page turns into now.

-Loki- on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm in the market for some new white primer. Is Army Painter good if you're going to do a basecoat over the top?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So a guy at my flgs that knows someone that occasionally paints for Privateer Press (taken with a huuuge grain of salt) recommended Duplicolor sandable primer. It's for cars. I skeptically tried it out, and I've got to say it's amazing. It dries very thin and smooth. It comes in Black, Grey, White, and Rust red that I've found so far. Is only about 5 bucks a can at your local autoparts store.

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A buddy of mine uses white primer from a car place. He laughs at me for spending more than $5 on primer.

But, some times, when no one is looking...

I don't even use primer.

Only sometimes! Especially if I'm adding little bits and gubbins to an already primed model, I'll just slap it on a cover it in paint. Whatever. No one knows. But it does make me feel a little dirty, like I'm walking around in shoes but forgot to put on socks.

saluksic on
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone know of any way to strip part of a miniature? I obliterated a lot of detail on my assault marines' heads with a too think coat of gloss varnish I lay down before a wash, but I'd rather not do the armor over again.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rig up some archaic torture device to hold them upside down with just their heads in simple green?

-Loki- on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    scrape it off with a dental pick?

i dunno man, that sucks.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I'm in the market for some new white primer. Is Army Painter good if you're going to do a basecoat over the top?
    Army Painter is the best white primer I've used in that it coats smoothly without granularity and actually preps the surface for painting, but it is still a white spray primer; the opacity is somewhat lacking so you will probably need multiple coats where one coat of black would have done.

E@part-stripping; you could try covering the rest of the model in blu-tack or silly putty or some other non-staining waterproof gum compound to protect it maybe. NB test whatever you want to use on a sample first; you really don't want it dissolving and/or staining due to the reaction with the simple green.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I swear by P3 white primer, but thats just moi.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited May 2011
    Well, I've been far to chatty and not enough picturey in this thread.

A WIP
    5756867124_248d4d1527_z.jpg
    Tankiest by saluksic, on Flickr

saluksic on
    edited May 2011
    Nice Baneblade. Though the seam that runs down the barrel is pretty visible.

-Loki- on
  • KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone know how close the red army painter spray is to GW blood red? I would really like a better option then a complex spray gun, or hours painting guys entirely red.

KublaKhan on
    edited May 2011
    KublaKhan wrote: »
    Does anyone know how close the red army painter spray is to GW blood red? I would really like a better option then a complex spray gun, or hours painting guys entirely red.

Pure Red is really close to Blood Red. Like, almost identical. My Tyranids done via my old method (black primer, mechrite red, blood red, devlan mud, blood red) look the same after I switched to Pure Red primer (pure red, touch up with blood red, devlan mud, blood red).

Granted, if you're doing something like Blood Angels which don't get soaked in Devlan Mud, you might see a slight difference in tone, but it won't be very noticeable.

The main issue with Pure Red is because they were trying to get such a bright red pigment, it can spray on thick if you're not careful. This doesn't bother me too much with things like Gaunts, of which I have dozens, but any centerpeice models I'd be a bit careful with. Once it dries, the thick parts aren't too bad, but still, on characters and other important models, I'd stick to hand painting the red.

-Loki- on
  • KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    -Loki- wrote: »
    KublaKhan wrote: »

Pure Red is really close to Blood Red. Like, almost identical. My Tyranids done via my old method (black primer, mechrite red, blood red, devlan mud, blood red) look the same after I switched to Pure Red primer (pure red, touch up with blood red, devlan mud, blood red).

Granted, if you're doing something like Blood Angels which don't get soaked in Devlan Mud, you might see a slight difference in tone, but it won't be very noticeable.

The main issue with Pure Red is because they were trying to get such a bright red pigment, it can spray on thick if you're not careful. This doesn't bother me too much with things like Gaunts, of which I have dozens, but any centerpeice models I'd be a bit careful with. Once it dries, the thick parts aren't too bad, but still, on characters and other important models, I'd stick to hand painting the red.

Sold! I mainly want to use it to paint basic infantry and tanks and I highlight up with so many layers I suspect any minor difference in tone won't be noticeable. I just had nightmares about the old GW red primer from like 12 years ago that said "blood red" on it and was more of a gross orange colour. I ruined a few of the old rhinos with that stuff.

KublaKhan on
  • SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    More art for the art thread. I'm painting this model for a buddy of mine to look like Garviel Loken with his helmet on. (He built the model.)

This is the longest it's ever taken me to paint an infantry model (3 hours so far) and I'm maybe 35% done with it. Painting a model with white armor really forces you to do a good job.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with it so far. And have realized that these side projects are why I don't have 2k points of Space Wolves painted.

And holy shit purity seals.

dyrthj.jpg

uogie.jpg

2ujh24p.jpg

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
    edited May 2011
    That guy is pure as a mo-fo. I gotta ask, what is your purity seal recipe?

saluksic on
    edited May 2011
    Cross post'd from the WH40K thread. I was happy with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2A4kbWYEmk

saluksic on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Awesome work.

Heffling on
  • SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    saluksic wrote: »
    That guy is pure as a mo-fo. I gotta ask, what is your purity seal recipe?

Straight up bleached bone for the paper and Mechrite Red for the wax.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
    edited May 2011
    So, going around the web today, I ran across these. They're expansive ($25us each), but they would work awesomely for the female vampires in my Lahmian army. However, I don't think the melee ones could be counted as wearing 'heavy' armour.

Kind of NSFW. Almost showing naughty bits in some cases.

-Loki- on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know, those get loaded even if you don't click spoiler? Just saying they're NSFW isn't enough, those should be links not pics.

SJ on
    edited May 2011
    Good point, changed.

-Loki- on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well I can say everything they make on that site is nsfw or more

I am on the fence about getting ruby as I really need a table a better light if I can doing to paint her as well as the avatars of war dark elf witch and female warrior

Brainleech on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hahaha, I didn't beleive you until I checked out the site and found a giant penis-boob-monster starting at me with its one eye from the front page.
    Those are some damn nice sculpts though.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It is funny it sold out in 10 hours. I did go buy one figure I might get another after this one comes and I have a really good look it at

As for Ruby the more I look I might get her and another but it's going to be $80+ before shipping for them sigh why must you tempt me so I know I have to clean my room but that too will take a lot of time

Brainleech on
    edited May 2011
    Those vamps are 35mm, won't they be horribly out of scale with the warham.

J on
    edited May 2011
    J wrote: »

I know, I just realized. Guess I'll settle for some vampires off CMON.

-Loki- on
    edited May 2011
    Hey Altmann, see your baneblade got reposted by GW on Facebook. :3

J on
    edited May 2011
    This is good timing. I'm about to place a big order for warhams, and my sciatica is clearing up. I'll actually be able to paint stuff!

-Loki- on
  • jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    -Loki- wrote: »
    J wrote: »

I know, I just realized. Guess I'll settle for some vampires off CMON.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but have you checked out any of the Wyrd miniatures from Malifaux?

I have a friend who is using their new Nekima mini in his Chaos army, but you might be able to use her as a vampire.

Maybe you could use Lilith instead?

Just a thought.

jabrams007 on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    linked by GW on their facebook. That's pretty cool! props for me.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jabrams007 wrote: »
    I have a friend who is using their new Nekima mini in his Chaos army, but you might be able to use her as a vampire.
    How is she in terms of proportion to other GW minis? Like, could I use her for conversion bits without much issue?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In general Wyrd minis are similar height but skinnier/less heroic.

The 3rd model from the left is from Wyrd. (And holy hell are those swords/hands hard as hell to attach to the arms securely.)
    Sizes.jpg

Also, middle one here is Wyrd.
    66556_sm-32mm%2C%20Etheral%2C%20Malifaux%2C%20Pandora%2C%20Tau%2C%20Wolf%20Scout.jpg

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
This discussion has been closed.