As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    img_141.jpg

img_146.jpg

Retouched them, did actual washes and highlights for once, and fixes the daemon princess' axe with more details.

To scale, she has atleast 36 double g's. Giggity.

newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    A double chainaxe. Most impractical, if awesome, thing ever.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    Exactly

newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    7140911947_f85bb50155_b.jpg
    That mini is blue/purple but looks unimpressive in black. Did a custom base for the first time with green stuff (lump for like a fresh grave, it came out ok but not as well defined as I hoped after flocking).

I need a lightbox. and to remember to crop out my dirty kitchen.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Sweet counters though.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Cool beans. We're gonna be competing for most awesomest Deathwatch dude then.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @DiannaoChong
    How'd you do that marble effect on the counters?

@SJ
    Probably not going to be much of a competition, if you know what I mean.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    @leaf how do you paint your horns. I keep trying and all of my horns look terrible.

I feel like most 40k/Fantasy people have had to paint horns at one point or another. Soooo let's see your horns (and a description of your technique) aaaaaaand go.

• Options
    @DiannaoChong

@SJ
    Probably not going to be much of a competition, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I know you can't paint that well, but you'll do your best.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Damn right I will!

PS: That's exactly what I meant. :(

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    @mr_mich: My horns come out similarly. Just grab some Menoth White Base and use it as your basecoat, then dab on some devlan mud.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    Whadduya dudes think of the girlfriend minis?

They look good. A wash would do wonders and maybe some highlights on the orange armor. For her first minis they look really clean. Must have a steady hand.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @DiannaoChong

I can't take the credit, the guy before me must of been an awesome painter, I just rented the apartment and they came like that. "You aren't going to strip those counter tops are you?" I asked the landlord before moving in. She just looked at me confused like I was stupid. "Sweet, you think they look as awesome as I do!"

Edit: I can't take credit for the countertops, but I totally can for something else in the picture. See that Tshirt on the counter in the background? Totally my etsy design for an indie boho oven mitt. Please don't steal it before I get to market.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Aww, I didn't get the torso with the head/spear arm for the skaven warlock engineer with this stuff. And it's such a cool model. :<

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    So I got around to painting that thing I made. Right now I only have access to a camera phone, hopefully I can take better pictures later.

3D5LVl.jpg
    pgCdRl.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Ewwww daamn.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Pierce, where'd you find my high school senior pictures?

• Options
    They were just in my room for some reason.

Some... unexplainable.... reason.

:cough:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is that the finished product? I'd love a better photo, it's hard to make out a lot of the color.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Congratulations, it nearly made me throw up. Mission accomplished.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Still waiting on my resin bases from micro art studio.

Got the minis, my brand new series 7 brushes. A new lamp with a beastly daylight bulb and a can of white primer.

Just no damn bases!

• Options
    SJ wrote: »
    Is that the finished product? I'd love a better photo, it's hard to make out a lot of the color.
    I was going to say yes, but I changed my mind. Going to work on the sword some more. It was bothering/frustrating me earlier, so I said fuck fuck it and stopped. But now I'm going to give it another shot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    SJ wrote: »
    I was going to say yes, but I changed my mind. Going to work on the sword some more. It was bothering/frustrating me earlier, so I said fuck fuck it and stopped. But now I'm going to give it another shot.

Rust. It needs to be rusty as fuck.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    Just tried out a cheapo airbrush my father in law gave me a while back. Wow. Base coating is so much less of a chore it's not even funny. I can't wait to really start messing around with this thing.

But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Caenem wrote: »
    Just tried out a cheapo airbrush my father in law gave me a while back. Wow. Base coating is so much less of a chore it's not even funny. I can't wait to really start messing around with this thing.

This is what I do for marines. Prime them, then do a highly thinned and really sloppy base coat with an airbrush. It really speeds things up and dials down the frustration factor of painting power armor.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Painting power armour is probably my favorite thing. All those crevices and large, smooth areas are so awesome for my painting style.

Hate basecoating it though. The midtone I use takes a lot of layers for good coverage.

• Options
    Man, I'm exactly the opposite. I love painting clothing and skin but flat curved armor plates with no detail just make me wanna vomit.

• Options
    MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Finished my objective markers project!

First time I tried some kind of marble effect, turned out ok but not great...

7159617374_3032fecd2c_c.jpg
    40k objectives by magot42, on Flickr

As usual, my progress is not that speedy. Unless you count my goblin BB team which I positively speed painted. :P

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Those look nice. For the marble though, I think the veining needs a very thin line of white to make it pop. And then a gloss/glaze/etc coat to give that polished look.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So I broke down and bought more finecast, this time some sternguard vets.

Wow. There's like 1 0 usable models out of the 5. The ones that aren't riddled with holes look smushed in various places (most notable the face). I guess the giant, glossy crater in this bolter would save me from drilling the barrel, if it were there at all! Oh look, one of them is melted in various spots from the waist down and his tabard is so thin it's transparent. Also I love how there are giant chunks of resin covering up detail. I didn't want the inside of this guy's powerfist to actually come with detail. I wanted to sculpt that shit myself.

I'm so fucking angry.

Finecast is the best.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

Wow. There's like 1 0 usable models out of the 5. The ones that aren't riddled with holes look smushed in various places (most notable the face). I guess the giant, glossy crater in this bolter would save me from drilling the barrel, if it were there at all! Oh look, one of them is melted in various spots from the waist down and his tabard is so thin it's transparent. Also I love how there are giant chunks of resin covering up detail. I didn't want the inside of this guy's powerfist to actually come with detail. I wanted to sculpt that shit myself.

I'm so fucking angry.

Finecast is the best.

Yeah, finecast sux. PEWTER 4 LYFE!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Called Customer Service and a new box is on the way. I am aware that I could have done some GS work to fix this but I shouldn't have to buy other shit to turn what I bought into what I paid for.

I am substantially less pissed though.

I sincerely hope that newer stuff (stuff where the molds are made with finecast in mind) doesn't have so many problems.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular

I'm so fucking angry.

Finecast is the best.

Chop em up to base everything else! Yea!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    I legitimately feel bad about the CS guy telling me to just keep the bad box. I guess they can't just melt it down and try again though and it's not like it's salable to someone else.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    I legitimately feel bad about the CS guy telling me to just keep the bad box. I guess they can't just melt it down and try again though and it's not like it's salable to someone else.

This has been their policy since the dawn of GW.

So look on the brightside - Finecast is really easy to work with so you can fix up the 'free' miscast models or at least use them for parts.

• Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    I´m actually going to be a bit disappointed if the first box of finecast I buy is fine and I don´t get a bunch of free bitz to use. I´m currently sorely lacking in spare bitz

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    It's not as cool as you think. Even the "good" finecast models I got required "fixing" and I don't think that is ok given I paid for a finished product.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    but I shouldn't have to buy other shit to turn what I bought into what I paid for.
    Do you need some glue? Or primer?

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Every finecast model I've bought in a blister has been fine. I bought all the Court of the Archon models and 3 Grotesques.

When they were first launched I bought two boxes of Wracks and one was pretty bad so GW replaced it. I salvaged some of the miscasts for conversions like my Venom Gunners.

So overall, my finecast purchasing history has been positive.

In fact, I've probably had more miscast metal models then finecast so far. But that's unfair since I've been buying metal models for 10+ years and finecast for about 12 months.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Most of the Finecast I've had has been fine, obviously blisters I can check beforehand. Some of the Incubi I have have a sort of wavy texture to the smooth plates but it's not particularly noticeable.

This discussion has been closed.