As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Q:"What time is it?" - A:"It's time." - FAST FIVE - Best movie of 2011 - (SPOILE

jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid?NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
first-photo-of-vin-diesel-aand-the-rock-in-fast-five-header.jpg

Vin Diesel (maybe 5' 9") is clearly standing on a crate for this shot with the Rock (6' 4").

The Rock is perpetually moist throughout this movie - his arms are always oiled up, his head is always glistening with sweat.

What else does this movie have?

ASIAN HAN SOLO:

Sung-Kang-in-Fast-Five_gallery_primary.jpg

ISRAELI PRINCESS LEIA:

gal-gadot-20090402072241774.jpg

AFRICAN-AMERICAN CHEWBACCA:

Tyrese-Gibson.jpg

LUDACRIS AS AN IMPROBABLE TECHNOLOGICAL GENIUS:

Ludacris-ps01.jpg

A COMPLETE DISREGARD FOR THE LAWS OF PHYSICS:

Fast_Five.png

Hopefully, they make one of these movies every year for the next 10 years, and hopefully THE ROCK is in every one of them. Because he and Vin have a BOND :

207noeu.png

tOkYVT2.jpg
jkylefulton on

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I do want to see this because all the reviews are saying it's a lot of fun

I feel like I should watch the other 4 first

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

You really don't need to - and you can definitely skip TOKYO DRIFT (which is the "Halloween 3: Season of the Witch" of the FF franchise).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

ive only seen the first and i feel like thats all i would need

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Tokyo Drift is actually the only one I've seen all the way through and it was actually fairly badass

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

You really don't need to - and you can definitely skip TOKYO DRIFT (which is the "Halloween 3: Season of the Witch" of the FF franchise).

I saw this without seeing any of the films*, and it was still rediculous and fun regardless. Way better then it had any right to be.

* I was forced to watch 2/3rds of 2 Fast 2 Furious once while babysitting a friend of a friends kid, I will never get back that 90 minutes of my life

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is insane

Hobnail on
  • Options
    VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I feel that seeing Fast and Furious (the 4th one) was worth it. I have only ever seen the first one prior to a week ago and my wife wanted to see number 4 before going to see 5. While 5 does stand well on its own, understanding why 5 picks up where it does with them taking on the bus and why Letty (or whatever her name was, I want to say Libby but I know that is wrong) keeps coming up is useful.

Plus 4 wasn't terrible I thought. I expected much worse for sure.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is insane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoqxhvdAdns

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That youtube is not safe for epileptics.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Season of the Witch was so fucking dumb

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Fast and the Furious franchise is my guilty pleasure. I have to admit, I was sucked into the world of import tuning due to the first movie back when I was 18.

But yeah, as for the movies:

The Fast and the Furious: Pretty good. Defiantly showing its age but it's still a fun watch. I hate to admit it but I actually enjoy the Warp Speed 5 minute long drag race. And doesn't chuckle a little when Paul Walker crash the lip on the Lightning on the curb or when he magically found a 6th gear on his Eclipse?

2 Fast 2 Furious: Bleh.

Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift: Somewhat of a departure from the formula, but it's 90x better then the second movie. Honestly, this is a much better live action Initial D movie then the live action Initial D movie.

Fast and Furious: Only seen this movie once, but I really enjoyed it at the time. I like how they depart from the 'Rice' culture and focus more on automotive performance. The series has grown in its image, no longer pandering to 15 years old with freshly printed driver licenses.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love this movie so damn much

Just ridiculous, though it did have draggy parts. Just hit the nos, yo

Also you know they're releasing one next year, c'mon.

They need to designate a day in may to be fast and furious day

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I saw the second movie sort of when it came out on DVD. All I remember of it was that it made me buy Need for Speed Underground 2. Saw Tokyo Drift sorta while I was hanging out in a friends dorm room while his roommate had it on in the back ground. I remember that as just being silly looking and the main love interest did not look Japanese at all.

So I had a hankering for a racing movie last week and decided to buy the fist one and the fourth movie cause I heard they were the best and actually were sequels to each other. Everything I heard about the fist one was that it was a Ricers dream movie and had badass races. It had like two races in the whole movie! It was a undercover cop movie! They are both undercover cop movies!

So all in all I think these movies seriously lack what they should be clichéd as. I was expecting Karate Kid but with import cars.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fast Five is Oceans 11 with cars.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ISRAELI PRINCESS LEIA:

http://topnews.in/files/Natalie-Portman2.jpg

duhhh

jippee on
    Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We saw this movie at the drive-in. I've only seen the first movie and Tokyo Drift and parts of 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Tokyo Drift is the best one out of the previous 3 I'd seen but Fast Five is more awesome.

What you have to know about continuity is that Tokyo Drift is the last movie in continuity, as it features the Han character after he's left Vin Diesel (Dominic)'s group.
    He also gets shot while street-racing through downtown Tokyo, flips his car and explodes to death, meaning they had to ret-con all the other sequels featuring him into prequels.

Also, Fast Five is what happens when you take the cast of the Fast and the Furious series of films and insert them into their own version of Ocean's Eleven. Yes, it's a heist movie where all the main characters barely leave their cars.

There is a cliffhanger in the ending that hints that there is a sixth movie on the way as well, probably also featuring the Rock.

The movie features a heavy dose of American-made cars this time, including the new Charger and Challengers taking a central focus. Also the Rock drives a big-ass tank-like vehicle because cars in this world are like the drivers' familiars and reflect everything you need to know about their personality.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    We saw this movie at the drive-in. I've only seen the first movie and Tokyo Drift and parts of 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Tokyo Drift is the best one out of the previous 3 I'd seen but Fast Five is more awesome.

What you have to know about continuity is that Tokyo Drift is the last movie in continuity, as it features the Han character after he's left Vin Diesel (Dominic)'s group.
    He also gets shot while street-racing through downtown Tokyo, flips his car and explodes to death, meaning they had to ret-con all the other sequels featuring him into prequels.

Also, Fast Five is what happens when you take the cast of the Fast and the Furious series of films and insert them into their own version of Ocean's Eleven. Yes, it's a heist movie where all the main characters barely leave their cars.

There is a cliffhanger in the ending that hints that there is a sixth movie on the way as well, probably also featuring the Rock.

The movie features a heavy dose of American-made cars this time, including the new Charger and Challengers taking a central focus. Also the Rock drives a big-ass tank-like vehicle because cars in this world are like the drivers' familiars and reflect everything you need to know about their personality.

If they can (f4/5 spoiler)
    retcon Letty's death
    , they can retcon (tokyo spoilers)
    Han's death

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When I saw the original F&tF I was legitimately surprised at how good it was.

I mean my expectations were incredibly low but still I was surprised!

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »

If they can (f4/5 spoiler)
    retcon Letty's death
    , they can retcon (tokyo spoilers)
    Han's death

3 words:
    Street Racing Cyborgs

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh oh oh oh oh!

Fast and the Furious 6: Chrono-drift!

I mean, they need to go back to Japanese cars at somepoint, right?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wanna see this movie as soon as possible

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this movie was way better than it had any right to be

I'd only ever seen the first movie, which was not really good at all

but this one had the Rock being completely ridiculous and a lot of neat car stunts

seemed like Jordana Brewster and Gal Gadot really could stand to take on a few pounds, though

those ladies looked dangerously underfed

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't seen this yet, but it's cool to see a series actually getting better as more sequels come out.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "What's the second thing?"

"Stay the fuck out of my way."

The rock was just too good in this movie. I was laughing so hard at some of his lines.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vin Diesel V. Dwayne Johnson fight was awesome.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was absolutely shocked when I went to rottentomatoes and saw that this has an 80% rating.

80%!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Houk wrote: »
    I was absolutely shocked when I went to rottentomatoes and saw that this has an 80% rating.

80%!

Clearly you're not the target audience with that rating.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »

80%!

Clearly you're not the target audience with that rating.
    Well I haven't watched it (or any of them), but the first four movies are all like 50% and lower. And then this. Pretty crazy!

I am a sucker for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, so I will probably end up seeing this

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    they reviewed this on How Did This Get Made, and everyone seemed to really like it despite how dumb it is!

I kinda want to see it but I don't think any of my cinema studies friends will be able to lower themselves to accompanying me

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Your cinema studies friends sound like assholes.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well, they're studying cinema

YaYa on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love how he's driving an automatic.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the F&F movies and loved this and now I'm rewatching 1-4 (well, watching 3 for the first time) and will probably see this again

As someone said, 3 takes place last chronologically. To understand the references in this one you'd need to watch 1 and 4 first. Tyrese and Ludacris's characters debuted in #2 but were completely different in this movie, so that doesn't matter

but i

love

this

movie

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The only good part of 2f2f is that it is totally obvious how much fun tyrese and walker had while making it.

They just have stupid goofy grins the entire time.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    i was going to make a compilation of Paul Walker's greetings in that movie, because he's always "Yo man" "Hey bro" "Hey brah" "Hey breh" "Sup cuz"

but i'm lazy

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this movie was FANTASTIC

seriously if you don't like this movie i just

well i just don't get it. we probably can't be friends

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    everyone who watched the post-credits scene was all DAAAAAAAAAMN

Garlic Bread on