Options

Internet Explorer 9 Install Issues

DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
I have a few questions about an IE9 install. First off, I generally use Firefox and sometimes Chrome, so the main reason I'm downloading it is to get it off of the "Install Important Updates" list in a somewhat OCD manner, but also out of concern for security issues. (*Is* there a problem with having an outdated version of IE on your system, even if you don't use it?)

So, whenever I try to update to IE 9 the setup utility simply stops downloading and hangs partway through. It doesn't give an error message, it doesn't freeze in the "Not Responding" sense, it simply hangs at 10% or so. This occurs whether I try to install it from Windows Update or the installer from Microsoft.com. Has anyone had this issue come up, or have any ideas how I might solve it? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Darlan on

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Haven't had any issues like that for IE9 myself.

Could it be general Windows Installer issues?

Bigity on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Try clearing your cache and run the install as an admin.

Also, do you have the right version for your OS, x86 vs x64.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turns out I just had to leave it on for a long time and it suddenly jumped from about ten percent to "all done!" Chalk it up to impatience on my part I guess, but that first 10 percent went by really fast and I kept on assuming it had frozen.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So how are you liking IE9 so far?

And to answer your earlier question yes its best for security to keep IE up to date on your PCs. The scammers & malware are getting very advanced.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm really liking it. With some tweaks and a couple of addons, it really improves the security (compared to plain old IE8, but isn't a PITA like the enhanced security crap).

I found a way to only allow flash to run on websites I approve, and it seems there are some mods out there that add some Firefox/Chrome like features, such as an adblock addon (free version only blocks X ads a day though).

As for the interface, it's quite nice, if not blatantly stolen from Chrome. I also haven't had any compatibility issues or anything with sites which I was worried about.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't understand why people say the interface is stolen from Chrome. Never mind that Chrome stole it's tab placement from Opera. In IE9 you can also move the tabs to their own bar. It wasn't until IE7 that IE had it's one search box you used to do everything in the same box. Then Firefox/Opera had a search box and everyone gave IE/MS crap for not having one. Now all of a sudden that's not cool anymore & IE is copying for getting rid of it & putting everything in one bar like they used to do back in the '90s.

/rant

Dark Shroud on