As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Memorial Service

an_altan_alt Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
A good friend of mine has passed away recently. He had a funeral-type service with his family far away from where he lived and only a few friends were able to attend. Now his family has left having a local memorial service for him in my less than capable hands.

He was very well liked, a university student and instructor, and was involved with a ton of different groups. I would imagine the number of mourners will be rather high.

About all I've put together so far is:
pick a date
find a venue
notify people of the service
get some large pictures printed
plan some sort of schedule for the service

I'd appreciate any help with what I'm missing or tips on getting things together. I know it's a big question, but I'm just starting to wrap my head around it now. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Pony wrote:
I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
an_alt on

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Went to one for a friends parent and they had a projector set up in the back of the room with a slideshow of pictures of both of them playing with some favorite tunes of theirs. was pretty nice and people where telling stories when certain pictures would show up with them in it.
    sorry for you loss.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If it's appropriate for the person (and it sounds like it might be), you may want to just hold a wake, instead of a formal service. You wouldn't have to worry about scheduling out a specific service, and people could come and go as they wanted; however, you would have to provide or make available some sort of food, and traditionally some sort of alcohol (easiest place to hold a wake is a bar or restaurant).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the ideas.

I was thinking the university he attended might have an appropriate venue and be somewhat light on the bill. If it wasn't for all his students, co-workers, etc, I'd consider hosting a wake at my place.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Did he go to or belong to any kind of religious organization? If he did, they may have ideas as well, or be able to help somehow.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn