Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Canada] Politics of the Democratic Friedmanite Republic of the Government of Harper

16869717374100

Posts

  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    To no one's surprise, Harper passes the "sit down and shut up while I do whatever the fuck I want" motion. In the comments section, Conservative peasants cheer this step forward for democracy. No, I'm not exagerating nor making shit up. Conservative drones literally say that stiffling and limiting debate on major pieces of legislation is good and necessary for true democracy.

    Warning: toxic to your brain cells.
    Spoiler:

    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • LaOsLaOs Registered User regular
    I am disappointed you brought that filth (comments!) in here. Bad Richy. Bad!

  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    I am disappointed you brought that filth (comments!) in here. Bad Richy. Bad!

    I accidentally read them and, well, mysery loves company...

    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • LaOsLaOs Registered User regular
  • JacobyJacoby Registered User regular
    Looks like those commenters follow the Leroy Jenkins model of government. :)

    GameCenter: ROldford
    PA Hero Academy League Commissioner and Head Fight Instigator - Come join us!
    Magic Cards with Googly Eyes
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    (and continually flog foolish mathematical equations that somehow dispute their loss)

    Apparently math is foolish, and somehow it does things.

    Lucid on
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    Anyone else following the Rob Ford mugging Star reporters recent episode? I feel like moving back closer to Toronto is increasing the hilarity of taking in these incidents of rage by our favourite mayor.

  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Anyone else following the Rob Ford mugging Star reporters recent episode? I feel like moving back closer to Toronto is increasing the hilarity of taking in these incidents of rage by our favourite mayor.

    I saw that on the news.

    Multiple-award-winning investigative reporter claims to be investigating a piece of land the mayor wants to buy.

    Mayor who's openly scornful of the newspaper the reporter is working for claims the reporter is stalking his family, and refuses to release footage he has of the incident that could prove he is right.

    Yeah, I wonder who I'm going to trust on that one...

    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • finnithfinnith Registered User regular
    Not a good idea to bite the hand that decides public opinion.

  • EtiowsaEtiowsa TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well, he already hates the star, and refuses to give them interviews or anything, but the ultimatum he threw out won't win him points with anyone. I really gotta wonder if he thinks about the things he says, ever.

    Etiowsa on
    janenext.jpg
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    STOP THE GRAVY TRAIN

    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The most hilarious thing is that this has become like THE BIGGEST NEWS EVER. I was at the blood donor clinic for an hour, and the entire time, CP24 was just on this story like white on rice.

    Okay, maybe not he most hilarious thing. There's the fact that Daniel Dale looks like he was still is the president of your high school poetry club and that he actively describes himself as panicking, screaming please don't hit me, and then dropping his phone and running away yelling for help.

    Or the fact that Rob Ford is literally yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

    Or the fact that Rob Ford officially handled one reporter with a Blackberry worse than Miley Cyrus handles the paparazzi.

    Or the fact that Rob Ford was going to buy this land to build a higher security fence to protect his privacy, which then prompted a reporter to go out and "invade his privacy". And then he made a giant-ass spectacle of it and now it's going to be even more invasive of his privacy.

    Or the fact that Rob Ford now refuses to participate in any press scrums that Daniel Dale is in, to which Dale had the perfectly reasonable response that he wasn't going to stop attending them... so Rob Ford's never going to do another press scrum again?

    Edit: It's apparently no press scrums that the Toronto Star is in, period. So... uh... you know they're like Canada's biggest news organization, right Ford? Ummm.

    hippofant on
  • EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    I was waiting to see if he could top calling the police when confronted by This Hour has 22 Minutes, and he finally delivered. Good for you, crazy Rob Ford.

    Gamecenter/Gamertag/Steam ID/PSN: Entriech
    Guild Wars 2: Entriech.3507 | Scythe Gearsnap, Phlork, Irenic
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    If I were in Toronto, I'd be setting up a camp ground on that piece of land right about now.

    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Doesn't Toronto Star (Or a certain related company) own The Toronto Sun, that 'Ford is the bestest Mayor Ever! McGuinty is icky, and spends money on Green Energy like a doo doo head' It may have been a while.

  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Overzealous staffer. Move along, nothing to see here.

    Pierre Poutine is most certainly someone who had access to that computer. I assume quite a few people did, but I would hope they'd need some sort of password to access it.

  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Doesn't Toronto Star (Or a certain related company) own The Toronto Sun, that 'Ford is the bestest Mayor Ever! McGuinty is icky, and spends money on Green Energy like a doo doo head' It may have been a while.

    No. The media ownership in Canada has been confusing as hell for years. According to wikipedia, at one point the company that owns the Star also owned 20% of the company that owned the G&M, but there was never any relation to the Sun papers. Apparently the Star people also own Harlequin, which publishes a lot of those trashy romance novels you can buy at the supermarket. Weird.

    CorporateGoon on
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Doesn't Toronto Star (Or a certain related company) own The Toronto Sun, that 'Ford is the bestest Mayor Ever! McGuinty is icky, and spends money on Green Energy like a doo doo head' It may have been a while.

    No. The media ownership in Canada has been confusing as hell for years. According to wikipedia, at one point the company that owns the Star also owned 20% of the company that owned the G&M, but there was never any relation to the Sun papers. Apparently the Star people also own Harlequin, which publishes a lot of those trashy romance novels you can buy at the supermarket. Weird.

    Yeah. Having worked for Torstar, I can tell you that it's a lot bigger than it might first appear. It's not Bell Media or Rogers in scope, but it's got a lot of funky smaller properties and partial ownerships.

  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Considering the Toronto Star has a liberal slant, and the Sun has a conservative slant, it would seem strange for the Star to own the Sun.

  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Not that strange, many monied people will diversify their investments, and if you arent crazy religous to your party affiliation, it would make sense to double dip in media markets for different biases.

    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Brave Frontier: Adamski (481 077 56)
    Puzzles & Dragons: Adamski@pa (313 842 296)
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    Story going around the news outlets that the Quebec student protest might be over after long negotiations over the past day or so with the government. They've submitted the deal to their members for ratification, but the actual contents of what was agreed to (assuming ratification goes through) will be made public in another couple hours.

  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Considering the Toronto Star has a liberal slant, and the Sun has a conservative slant, it would seem strange for the Star to own the Sun.


    I wouldn't call it a 'conservative' slant as much as a 'Conservative vertical drop' Rob Ford is the bestest, Mcguinty lies about everything, Global Warming is just a hoax, Conrad Black is a very nice guy, CBC is a scam (But every page has an ad for their SunTV) and their skirting border of offensiveness when it comes to minorities, gay, and non-christian religions. Not to mention the semi pornographic Sunshine girls. Seriously, where's my Sunshine boy? The only publication I could think of that was more right wing than that was a magazine from Alberta, but they're now defunct. (Name escapes me.)

    As much as the Star bends toward liberal, they can and will agree with Harper on certain things, and always have dissenting opinions on topics. I don't think they're very friendly with Ford though.

  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    The Alberta Report!!! WAHAHAHAHA!!! The teachers are making them thar kids gay!

    The sun used to have a sunshine boy that was even more pornographic than the girl. Wonder when it stopped.

    Virtue flourishes in the most unexpected places.
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    It stopped back when I was around 19 or 20 or so, so I guess 2000.

    To be honest, I've never been sure why a Sunshine Girl page is necessarily right wing. Are we liberal types supposed to be better than ogling? Or is it inherently sexist for a woman to have a photo printed expressly because she's pretty?

    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    It stopped back when I was around 19 or 20 or so, so I guess 2000.

    To be honest, I've never been sure why a Sunshine Girl page is necessarily right wing. Are we liberal types supposed to be better than ogling? Or is it inherently sexist for a woman to have a photo printed expressly because she's pretty?
    A newspaper is for news and should inform and educate the people and should be above such low brow antics.

    Spoiler:
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm not saying that the Sunshine Girl is right wing, it's just that us ladies would like some yumminess as well. Also, when the Sun rails against the 'evils' of sex (such as legalization of brothels, porn playing on Radio-Canada, and especially being against Prostitutes on Craigslist, it's like they don't even read their own classifieds), it creates a bit of hypocrisy.

  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    It stopped back when I was around 19 or 20 or so, so I guess 2000.

    To be honest, I've never been sure why a Sunshine Girl page is necessarily right wing. Are we liberal types supposed to be better than ogling? Or is it inherently sexist for a woman to have a photo printed expressly because she's pretty?
    A newspaper is for news and should inform and educate the people and should be above such low brow antics.

    Ah, I see. I disagree, though. I like my comics section as is.

    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    It stopped back when I was around 19 or 20 or so, so I guess 2000.

    To be honest, I've never been sure why a Sunshine Girl page is necessarily right wing. Are we liberal types supposed to be better than ogling? Or is it inherently sexist for a woman to have a photo printed expressly because she's pretty?
    A newspaper is for news and should inform and educate the people and should be above such low brow antics.

    Ah, I see. I disagree, though. I like my comics section as is.
    I'm fine with comics, since it gives something for kids to read and get used to printed news but 2 pages of girls in bikini's is in bad taste.

    Spoiler:
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    Why is it in bad taste? Comics in papers frequently have poor taste. Would you be the moral compass by which a newspaper's appropriateness is judged?

    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    I don't really see a place for British-style Page 3s either in Canadian newspapers. At least, not if they're calling themselves newspapers. That being said, I'm more pissed off, after having been stuck with the National Post for an entire weekend, at Comment/Editorial sections masquerading as news articles on fucking page 1 of the damn paper. It took me several attempts at reading the damn paper to realize I wasn't actually reading news but some random editorial.

    Regarding the quebec protests that I posted an update about earlier, looks like the deal is that the tuition fee increase will go ahead unchanged over 7 years but that there will be a corresponding decrease in ancillary student fees that would offset the tuition increase for students. So the government can claim it "raised tuition" while the students get to claim they're not paying anything more. If anything, universities bear the brunt of the cost here, though I imagine these offsetting fee cuts will be nickle-and-dimed to not be completely equal to the tuition hike.

  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    The Calgary Sun, at least when I was reading it, has always described itself as a tabloid and not a newspaper. I dunno if that's still the case, though.

    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The only Canadian newspaper I take fully seriously is The Globe and Mail.

    I read the star from time to time but something about it is just lacking.

  • NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I'm not saying that the Sunshine Girl is right wing, it's just that us ladies would like some yumminess as well. Also, when the Sun rails against the 'evils' of sex (such as legalization of brothels, porn playing on Radio-Canada, and especially being against Prostitutes on Craigslist, it's like they don't even read their own classifieds), it creates a bit of hypocrisy.

    It's been a long time since I've looked at a Sun because the paper is seriously horrible but unless things have changed they do have a Sunshine Boy. Neither belong in a newspaper and I agree with you on the utter hypocrisy.

    Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    double post opps

    Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    It stopped back when I was around 19 or 20 or so, so I guess 2000.

    To be honest, I've never been sure why a Sunshine Girl page is necessarily right wing. Are we liberal types supposed to be better than ogling? Or is it inherently sexist for a woman to have a photo printed expressly because she's pretty?
    A newspaper is for news and should inform and educate the people and should be above such low brow antics.

    Ah, I see. I disagree, though. I like my comics section as is.
    I'm fine with comics, since it gives something for kids to read and get used to printed news but 2 pages of girls in bikini's is in bad taste.

    When did it get two pages? I have been missing one of my eye candies!

    Virtue flourishes in the most unexpected places.
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    I think, more than anything, it's just REALLY creepy, and also wtf guys, there's this thing called the Internet now.


    Also, Royson James is maaaaad... (and really right too):

    James: I believe Daniel Dale:

    Spoilered for long, but it's a good read.
    Spoiler:

  • MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja LurkingRegistered User regular
    That was a great read! I really hope that the Star continues to send Daniel Dale to cover any and all press events held by the mayor; let's see how long Ford will keep his pretty promise until his handlers get on him to grow the fuck up.

    steam_sig.png
  • VanderbrentVanderbrent Registered User regular
    Mackenzier wrote: »
    That was a great read! I really hope that the Star continues to send Daniel Dale to cover any and all press events held by the mayor; let's see how long Ford will keep his pretty promise until his handlers get on him to grow the fuck up.

    It's not just Daniel Dale, he said he won't speak if ANY star reporter is there.

  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Vic Toews: "Hey you guys, remember back in colonial days when people were charged rent for being in prison, so when their sentence was up they were kept in prison until they could pay their rent debt, which they never could because they were not earning any money while being in prison and had no savings and they were still being charged rent since they were still in prison, making it a meaningless and purposeless vicious cycle that only served to keep people in prison forever? Yeah, we're bringing those back! Because that was an awesome time, and we're THOUGH ON CRIME."

    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    That syphilitic piece of shit.

    Virtue flourishes in the most unexpected places.
This discussion has been closed.