As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Surprise, motherfucker. [DEXTER] is returning. Yay?

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    filler season right here, people!

edit:

soo after watching the promo for next week i can only really repeat what I've written previously about this season.
    Dexter getting caught? been there, done that. Dexter possibly losing a loved one? Been there, done that.
    pseudo-incest might be interesting if only for the sheer awkwardness of it.
    *sigh*
    Perhaps louis will rescue dex and murder that bible hugging psychopath. If louis happens to turn out to be just another run of the mill serial killer well .. been there, done that.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Still think the hand is a red herring. Have no idea why he would mail the hand to dex because of course its going to cause him some issue BUT Louis has absolutely no reason to know just why or how it would set him off, nor does he even have a valid reason to send it to dex. The only thing i can imagine is that hes trying to provoke dexter into doing more awesome agatha cristie insta-solving just so he can have material for his game via dexters thought process.

I wonder why dexter covered up why he knew suicide girl was the bad guy. All he had to say was the truth. (I saw her on the way in, and the first thought i had when i came back to the station was to look up the dead guy on the web, found a picture of his wife). He wasnt doing anything out of the ordinary...sure it probably was slightly out of the bounds of a lab geek to actually look up persons of interest but it likely would just be considered good police work as an extension of his job.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:
    I wonder why dexter covered up why he knew suicide girl was the bad guy.

Yeah, that bugged me. Mostly because he's been leaving evidence all over the place this season. That video message, for example. He might as well have covered the hand in his own semen if he's just going to sext a serial killer in the middle of a manhunt.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    azith28 wrote:
    Still think the hand is a red herring. Have no idea why he would mail the hand to dex because of course its going to cause him some issue BUT Louis has absolutely no reason to know just why or how it would set him off, nor does he even have a valid reason to send it to dex. The only thing i can imagine is that hes trying to provoke dexter into doing more awesome agatha cristie insta-solving just so he can have material for his game via dexters thought process.

I wonder why dexter covered up why he knew suicide girl was the bad guy. All he had to say was the truth. (I saw her on the way in, and the first thought i had when i came back to the station was to look up the dead guy on the web, found a picture of his wife). He wasnt doing anything out of the ordinary...sure it probably was slightly out of the bounds of a lab geek to actually look up persons of interest but it likely would just be considered good police work as an extension of his job.

Well, doing detective work of that kind isn't Dexter's job. Admitting he did that would have absolutely brought too much attention on him. No one suspected he had more knowledge than he should have as a blood splatter expert, nobody was asking him any suspicious questions, so why should he cop to the real method he used to figured it out instead of just letting people believe whatever they wanted?

In fact, in all six seasons I don't think he ever directly gave anyone in the department any conclusions he drew from information he gleaned from the police database. I'm not entirely certain he is legally allowed to access that information from his lab. He certainly hides it every time anyone enters his lab/office.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    But hes progressed past blood spatter guy, this season hes been performing as a coroner really...he may not be doing autopsies but hes definately dealing with corpses more then he has in the past. Also, he wasnt accessing hidden files, he used a public web browser to google the guys name and got a facebook page. nothing illegal about that.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    If someone were to ask him how he knew then he could simply tell the truth. he saw the woman press a suspicious device on her backpack and when he followed the backpack started smoking.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:
    But hes progressed past blood spatter guy, this season hes been performing as a coroner really...he may not be doing autopsies but hes definately dealing with corpses more then he has in the past. Also, he wasnt accessing hidden files, he used a public web browser to google the guys name and got a facebook page. nothing illegal about that.

Netwrangler (rangler?) whatever the BetterThanGoogle service the intern made up.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    so bad

just so much bad. i don't even know.

this season started off so promising too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    so bad

While I'm a pretty big Dexter apologist, I will agree that the season has been going downhill since the episode after
    Brother Sam died.

It's like the writers had a plan that just didn't work out, so they had to scramble to get something, anything, into place.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    5$ says louis found footage of dexter doing the fountain with his l33t hax0r skillz and hid it from everyone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The regular security footage didn't show anything, but that's because no one but Louis forgot to check the every-camera.

Speaking of which, this season has definitely suffered from a lack of quality Masuka. I assume the writers simply gave up on him after this, however:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJ1OCbO7oM[/youtube]

They might have well have killed him off after that scene, because there is no way his character will have a finer moment.

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    Regarding the taboo subject in this episode (spoilered for content and potential squick):
    The therapist notably did not actually suggest that Deb has a thing for Dexter. She was talking about how Deb chooses men in her life, because she has a constant male presence for which she does not "need" another man for. Dexter fills the role of equal adult male support figure better than any boyfriend ever has for her. It was Deb who went off on the sex tangent, but that's not even indicative of anything. Deb goes to those weird places almost as naturally as Masuka does.

The therapist, for her part, is letting Deb come to her own conclusions. I had a therapist like her, who essentially just let me talk and would see where I went. It is incredibly frustrating, sometimes, but also can lead to self-discovery as you start analyzing paths that you haven't dared to look down before. You'll notice that the therapist often responds to questions with other questions, and Deb just... went there.

Her dream does not mean that she's actually attracted to Dexter. She has issues, to be sure. She thinks that she is a freak. She is afraid of being "outed" as incompetant or weird even as she flouts normal conventions. She honestly doesn't know what she wants in a romantic or sexual relationship, but she craves someone who just "gets" her. All of these could result in a dream about hooking up with Dexter.

I mean, last night, I had a dream where I was Dexter and I was protecting a town in post-apocalyptic America from a mercinary army with mechs. That doesn't mean that I crave being a serial killer murdering soldiers of fortune after the fall of a future civilization.
    Although now that I put it that way, I kinda do want to play that video game...

Sidebar on incest:
    Objectively speaking, there are two reasons that incest is squicky.

First, because male/female pairing incest can produce children with a higher rate for birth defects.

Second, because in almost all incestual situations, there's a power differential (because one of them is older or otherwise has more influence on the situation).

Clearly, the first reason is not a problem (due to the lack of blood relation). The second reason is also mitigated because they are both rational (well, rational-ish) adults, though there's added inappropriateness due to the fact that Deb is Dexter's boss, technically.

There is an unofficial third reason for incest being squicky, that being the Westermark Effect, whereupon children who were raised together have an aversion to having a sexual relationship with each other, regardless of blood relation.

This last one is the one that hits Deb and Dexter the most. They were raised together from a young age and typically (as we've seen) would never think of each other as a sexual option.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    It didn't bother me that much, because this is 4th premium cable show I've seen this year that has "gone there", and
    since, unlike the other shows, they're not related by blood and haven't had sex (yet), it was the least squicky.

I didn't think it would be possible to become desensitized to incest twists, but somehow, it's happened.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    See, now I'm wondering what the other 2 shows are.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote:
    See, now I'm wondering what the other 2 shows are.
    This show, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, and Bored to Death

• Options
    edited December 2011
    delete

Invisible on
  • Options
    Forgot Game of Thrones was this year, too. I've never watched Bored to Death.

But, wow, you're right. That's a lot of incest in a year.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I have never heard this word, "squicky"

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Given how busy it appears Dexter will be this finale, I'm guessing someone being a total Snoopypants is going to open the package Louis sent to him and they're gonna be like "Oh my god whaaaaaat? Why does my brother/boss/co-worker/ have this stupid hand!?!?!" as a lead in to next season. At least, given all the main plot that needs wrapping up, I can't imagine how they'd have time for a Dexter dominated Louis storyline as well. But the writing has been terrible lately so maybe they will try to shoehorn that in.

• Options
    LaCabra wrote:
    I have never heard this word, "squicky"

I'm really sorry, but a link to TV Tropes is necessary to explain this. I will put it in spoiler, if that helps.

• Options
    so bad

While I'm a pretty big Dexter apologist, I will agree that the season has been going downhill since the episode after
    Brother Sam died.

It's like the writers had a plan that just didn't work out, so they had to scramble to get something, anything, into place.

i'm a big dexter apologist too. i even let last seasons awful ending slide.

i am starting to feel the same way I felt when Heroes. . .

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    I still enjoy this show.

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    me too

but I get the complaints

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    double...

Variable on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I just know that Dexter's imagined interactions with Debra are a trillion times better than the other way around.

Oh, and they're just doing all they can to destroy Deb when she does find out. Going a bit too far, me thinks, but we'll see what shakes out (in a season or 2 from now at the earliest...).

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:
    I just know that Dexter's imagined interactions with Debra are a trillion times better than the other way around.

Oh, and they're just doing all they can to destroy Deb when she does find out. Going a bit too far, me thinks, but we'll see what shakes out (in a season or 2 from now at the earliest...).

Good call, I didn't really consider that.

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote:

They are. Remember when he imagined her different responses to him telling her he is a serial killer?

It was better than the Chinese food and makeout session with your brother.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I predict that someone will be blackmailed into lots of sex

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Um.

Wow.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Snap.

• Options
    mah goodness

we deserved that, if not more. I enjoyed the season enough but as I was considering how I feel about the show, there won't be a season without Michael C Hall that I don't enjoy. which means there won't be a season I don't enjoy, at least a little. This wasn't a good year in a lot of ways but I'm happy about this ending.

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    mah goodness

we deserved that, if not more. I enjoyed the season enough but as I was considering how I feel about the show, there won't be a season without Michael C Hall that I don't enjoy. which means there won't be a season I don't enjoy, at least a little. This wasn't a good year in a lot of ways but I'm happy about this ending.

here is the thing

about this ending.

it could have been the ending to last season.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    alas

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Too little too late. I enjoyed the season up to the episode after the Geller reveal. As someone said, this ending should have come last season since at least we had a sympathetic Deb. Now it's just "Hey jerkface, you've been eff'ing with our cases for six seasons. . ."

Something tells me though, that he'll spill the beans about Marshall abducting Harrison and how he needed revenge; I doubt he's about to admit to being BHB.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    it's either that or they team up

or deb dies or dex goes to jail. neither of those seem likely to me though.

• Options
    This episode seemed ridiculously short. I'm not sure Deb is at the point where doing it for the greater good is an acceptable response.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote:
    This episode seemed ridiculously short. I'm not sure Deb is at the point where doing it for the greater good is an acceptable response.

It depends on how you interpret her reaction to Laguerta's talk.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So yeah, that ending was pretty crazy.

I'm glad they finally did that, but I agree that could have easily been last seasons ending. I would've never thought it was going to happened now, specifically because of how last season ended.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Season 5 was a red herring!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Huh.

That's...an ending.
    I think the "Well therefore this season was a waste" comments are a bit much but this season does have some filler-y feel to it. I think, in many ways this season was progression for Debra to be ready for this point and just affirmation for Dex who has been ready for this for quite a while.

At least Deb didn't go hiding in the shadows. I think I would have wanted to shoot myself if they drew this out into a he doesn't know she knows thing.

Dexter continues to be the luckiest son of bitch alive though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish