As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of Thrones: A Lion doesn't concern itself with the opinions of sheep.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also I should point out that as far as at least LOTR is concerned, having a race of functionally immortal people (which, for the record, we didn't get to have in our own middle ages) would slow down progress quite a bit. No generational relief means a lot less new ideas. The humans would still progress, but the elves being around and running shit would basically make it like if your grandfather who doesn't understand computers still mailed you typewritten letters - FOREVER. It wouldn't excuse technological stasis to the extent of the ridiculous lengths LOTR has, but it would definitely be a factor in it.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2011
    Having access to magic of any kind would probably impede technological progress as well.

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2011
    Oh yeah that too.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i bet you guys are a blast at parties

<3

Abracadaniel on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    at game of thrones parties

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    in harry potter they use magic so much they are confused at the concept of a car

DJ Eebs on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also, we have hints that
    (book 4)
    The Citadel has been screwing around with Westeros. And when the main source of history is either education from Maesters or often-retold stories (which tend to play fast and loose with facts), we can't necessarily trust those timeframes.

Particularly since most of the ancient stories involve a lot of magic and the Citadel is trying to get rid of magic. It makes it much easier if they pad out the timeframe when it last existed.

Tomanta on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Also, we have hints that
    (book 4)
    The Citadel has been screwing around with Westeros. And when the main source of history is either education from Maesters or often-retold stories (which tend to play fast and loose with facts), we can't necessarily trust those timeframes.

Particularly since most of the ancient stories involve a lot of magic and the Citadel is trying to get rid of magic. It makes it much easier if they pad out the timeframe when it last existed.

In book 7, we learn that Westeros is actually an isolated village surrounded by our own modern world DUNDUNDUNNNNNN

M. Night pulls off his GRRM mask.

KalTorak on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    in harry potter they use magic so much they are confused at the concept of a car

those parts of the books are always so dumb

ron's father poking at radios like a cave man but then trains in a modern train station don't lift an eyebrow

Langly on
    edited May 2011
    they have magic trains so regular trains are less confusing

DJ Eebs on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't think there is even a point in thinking about technology and progress there of in the context of Tolkien's Middle Earth. Shit, it fucking deteriorates as far as I recall.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited May 2011
    Also LOTR is essentially one big "technology is evil winners don't do tech" fable anyway.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What about the return to the Shire?

Bucketman on
    edited May 2011
    That part was "you know what else is evil? fucking nazis man

also technology"

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2011
    Sorry that was to peter,not you. They had tech there in that part. Like industry.

Bucketman on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, but they actively destroy it all, which would be the deterioration he mentioned, right?

Fyndir on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    magic users in Harry Potter being complete idiots around technology was sooooo stupid

Captain K on
    edited May 2011
    well

they're pretty racist in harry potter

DJ Eebs on
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It wasn't every magic user but it was pretty common throughout the books which just made everyone seem really, really dumb.

Hell I can't blame Voldemort for wanting to take them over. What's this? Stupid people I can compel to do whatever I want?

Done.

Sassori on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Had a dream last night where my boss made me roommates with Sam Tarly, and we lived on a factory so we could fix the machinery there.

I was given a decent bedroom but Sam had to live in a converted closet. He was afraid that rats might be in it, so I gave him my bed instead.

Turns out he was just trying to get to a supply of Twinkies that were buried in a secret cache underneath the floor in my room.

Brolo on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's our Samwell

Seriously on
    edited May 2011
    Sassori wrote: »
    It wasn't every magic user but it was pretty common throughout the books which just made everyone seem really, really dumb.

Hell I can't blame Voldemort for wanting to take them over. What's this? Stupid people I can compel to do whatever I want?

Done.

This is the thing that super annoyed me in harry potter. You have wizard like harry and herminoe who gre up in the modern muggle world, and for the most part I never saw any technologt screwing up near magic like in the dresden files so they had no real reason to seperate wizards from modern tech. I get that they are sort of a secret community, but are we expectted to believe that no wizard shops in a modern super marker? Where do they get food? It would have been better to show them blending into society then seperating them from it entirely.

Bucketman on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I still propose that the magisters are the remnants of the mages in Westeros.

I'd say they manipulate everything they can to keep the world in stasis, however, this does not explain the rest of the world - why is it still retarded?

Religion seems to play a major part, so that might be it.

MrIamMe on
    edited May 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »

Done.

This is the thing that super annoyed me in harry potter. You have wizard like harry and herminoe who gre up in the modern muggle world, and for the most part I never saw any technologt screwing up near magic like in the dresden files so they had no real reason to seperate wizards from modern tech. I get that they are sort of a secret community, but are we expectted to believe that no wizard shops in a modern super marker? Where do they get food? It would have been better to show them blending into society then seperating them from it entirely.

Actually I think they made some mention in the first book that Harry had a digital watch that stopped working once he came to Hogwarts. But it was certainly not something that was addressed well here.

Though why the hell they can't use a ballpoint pen in a notebook instead of a quill I have no freaking clue.

Sassori on
  • GalyGaly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    harry poter sux

Galy on
    mustache w/ hat c|:{
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    Had a dream last night where my boss made me roommates with Sam Tarly, and we lived on a factory so we could fix the machinery there.

I was given a decent bedroom but Sam had to live in a converted closet. He was afraid that rats might be in it, so I gave him my bed instead.

Turns out he was just trying to get to a supply of Twinkies that were buried in a secret cache underneath the floor in my room.
    Uh, spoilers?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Galy wrote: »
    harry poter sux

dems fightin words

Moth 13 on
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »

Done.

Actually I think they made some mention in the first book that Harry had a digital watch that stopped working once he came to Hogwarts. But it was certainly not something that was addressed well here.

Though why the hell they can't use a ballpoint pen in a notebook instead of a quill I have no freaking clue.

Tradition? I mean, they are British.

Legba on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JK rowling had to make up some stuff later on to explain away "well why not just get some fucking guns and just shoot the deatheaters".

Brolo on
    edited May 2011
    Good point.

You get climbing spikes instead of a gold star.

Sassori on
    edited May 2011
    Yessss.

Now I just need some good men.

Legba on
    edited May 2011
    Well hello sir

Bucketman on
    edited May 2011
    I've dressed up as a man before.

Does that count?

Sassori on
  • MVikingMViking Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am a man, but what do you mean by "good"?

MViking on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    You'll all do.

Let's go impregnate the bitch.

Legba on
    edited May 2011
    wait theres only 4 of us! We'll be slaughtered, and those that survive will only be thrown out the moon door!

Bucketman on
    edited May 2011
    Can you not fly? That'll be a problem...

Sassori on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Legba wrote: »
    You'll all do.

Let's go impregnate the bitch.
    I'll bring the turkey baster.

Hacksaw on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And a really big sword, of course.

Hacksaw on
    edited May 2011
    Look.

Any one of us is worth two of them. So really there's eight of us.

I'll grant you that still leaves us a little short, but I think we can make up the difference in grit and determination.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he never so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in Westeros now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us when we impregnated the bitch.

Legba on
This discussion has been closed.