As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Penny Arcade: The Series, Bungie Rematch Pt. 1 [Soda Preservatives]

• fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The 1-7 has to be your best to worst - doing otherwise is called stacking the roster and it isn't allowed.

It's called padding and it's illegal.
    But for example it seems to me Jerry is a noticeably worse player than Erika. Of course I havn't seen them play that much, but her fundamentals seem far stronger. But of course she is further down the roster and before a tournament there might be incentive to try and not climb too high for the good of the team. Would it not be better to try and design a tournament system where a few close losses can be better one tight win and (a few - 1) massive losses. So for example give point by the number of sets lost/won, or some function of the margins in the games.

Oh and if I can complain about one major thing that bugs me about the table tennis, it's the pretty terrile table tennis ettiquette. Notably, when you get a lucky shot like an edge or a net over shot, you lift your hand or finger as to apologize, trying not to be too overtly happy about winning the point. Rather it seems people cheer more when someone win by what is essentially chance. Pretty unsporting...

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BLAAAAAAAAAAAM

Xehalus on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This music was fucking awesome

Grey Ghost on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    fjafjan wrote: »
    Pretty unsporting...

Didn't you suggest gaming the lineup to gain an advantage over the other team

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    The 1-7 has to be your best to worst - doing otherwise is called stacking the roster and it isn't allowed.

It's called padding, and that's a paddlin'.

LHNMH.jpg

Just quotin' this to appreciate the hell out of it.

A+++, Sabre. :^:

Fyndir on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Pretty unsporting...

Didn't you suggest gaming the lineup to gain an advantage over the other team
    Yeah I don't think the guy who advocates stacking your roster gets to talk about sportsmanship.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2011

But for example it seems to me Jerry is a noticeably worse player than Erika. Of course I havn't seen them play that much, but her fundamentals seem far stronger. But of course she is further down the roster and before a tournament there might be incentive to try and not climb too high for the good of the team. Would it not be better to try and design a tournament system where a few close losses can be better one tight win and (a few - 1) massive losses. So for example give point by the number of sets lost/won, or some function of the margins in the games.

Oh and if I can complain about one major thing that bugs me about the table tennis, it's the pretty terrile table tennis ettiquette. Notably, when you get a lucky shot like an edge or a net over shot, you lift your hand or finger as to apologize, trying not to be too overtly happy about winning the point. Rather it seems people cheer more when someone win by what is essentially chance. Pretty unsporting...

You are wrong about Jerry and Erika. Jerry is more consistent (right now). We don't try and game the system because we are not cheater faces.

And as far as the etiquette bit - are you the guy that complained about it during the screenlife episode? If you are, we frequently reference you in our matches.

You know what is poor etiquette though? Trying to intentionally stack your team.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited May 2011
    Point.

Set.

Match.

Xehalus on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

You are wrong about Jerry and Erika. Jerry is more consistent (right now). We don't try and game the system because we are not cheater faces.

And as far as the etiquette bit - are you the guy that complained about it during the screenlife episode? If you are, we frequently reference you in our matches.

You know what is poor etiquette though? Trying to intentionally stack your team.
    Are you saying that a 10-minute video edited for maximum emotional impact isn't an accurate reflection of reality?

That, my friend, is bullshit

Houk the Namebringer on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bullshit.

It surrounds us.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited May 2011
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Bullshit.

It surrounds us.
    You know what's bullshit?

Sharks over Wings.

Again

That is bullshit

Houk the Namebringer on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I hope you do it in the smarmiest way possible. Slip the ol monacle on and be like "my good sir, I couldn't possibly accept a point under these conditions" followed by 5 minutes of trying to decide who would have the point.

I'd watch that pa tv

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Houk wrote: »
    Bullshit.

It surrounds us.

Sharks over Wings.

Again

That is bullshit

Nope!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I hope you do it in the smarmiest way possible. Slip the ol monacle on and be like "my good sir, I couldn't possibly accept a point under these conditions" followed by 5 minutes of trying to decide who would have the point.

I'd watch that pa tv

Next time on PA TV with Kurtz and Straub...

Fyndir on
    edited May 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Bullshit.

It surrounds us.

Sharks over Wings.

Again

That is bullshit

Nope!
    I wouldn't mind if there was like...any chance whatsoever of them winning the cup

I don't mind losing to the team that goes on to win the cup

But losing to the team that consistently shits the bed later on?

Shit's just embarrassing

Houk the Namebringer on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey guys.

Let us not not bleed a thread in to the other.

We should just all say GO CANUCKS and agree.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited May 2011
    Sharks or Canucks need to get their first Stanley Cup.

Xehalus on
    edited May 2011
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Canucks need to get their first Stanley Cup.

Tonkka on
    edited May 2011

I wasn't saying you should game the system, I was pointing out a flaw in the system (the order of the roster is maintained by 'honour' rather than desire to win) and proposing solutions that might fix that flaw.

As for the complaining, I most likely did (but with the search function down I can't confirm), though honestly I am kind of surprised there are no other ex table tennis players here who are bugged by it as well. So if you want to take your level of etiquette higher than "not cheating" I'd suggest you start lifting them fingers.

fjafjan on
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
    edited May 2011

I wasn't saying you should game the system, I was pointing out a flaw in the system (the order of the roster is maintained by 'honour' rather than desire to win) and proposing solutions that might fix that flaw.

As for the complaining, I most likely did (but with the search function down I can't confirm), though honestly I am kind of surprised there are no other ex table tennis players here who are bugged by it as well. So if you want to take your level of etiquette higher than "not cheating" I'd suggest you start lifting them fingers.

Yep, I think that is how you win honorably.

Winning with honor.

Otherwise known as winning by the rules.

Tonkka on
    edited May 2011

Winning with honor.

I am saying this rule is essentially an honour rule. I mean since it's an amateur league it shouldn't be a big problem, but any honour rule is vulnerable to abuse.

fjafjan on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ping-pong players are a superstitious and cowardly lot...

KalTorak on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

He was indeed.
    Plus they had really bad manners in terms of not admitting their luck when hitting the side of the table or having balls roll over the net.

Do you guys find it's more of a upper- or lower-body workout? Or does it pretty much work you over completely?

MichaelLC on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Winning with honor.

I am saying this rule is essentially an honour rule. I mean since it's an amateur league it shouldn't be a big problem, but any honour rule is vulnerable to abuse.

vulnerable to abuse by people who want to break the rules sure

but who the fuck cares about those people since they would be no fun to play against?

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »

He was indeed.
    Plus they had really bad manners in terms of not admitting their luck when hitting the side of the table or having balls roll over the net.

Do you guys find it's more of a upper- or lower-body workout? Or does it pretty much work you over completely?

I wonder if he thinks the ping pong episodes are shown unedited in real time. I.e. "I don't see the sportsmanship I want to in this trimmed down ping-pong montage, therefore IT CAN'T HAVE TAKEN PLACE! I'm pretty sure the winners peed in the losers' mouths after each match!"

KalTorak on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Teabagging. It's not just for Halo anymore.

Falx on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You pretty much have to corpsehump the Bungie guys. It's mandatory. You know they'd just do it to you while fist bumping their bros.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just wanted to say that I also thought the music was really spot on with this one. Normally, I don't notice the music too much but whatever he did this episode, excellent man.

Jordanthehutt on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are you saying that a 10-minute video edited for maximum emotional impact isn't an accurate reflection of reality?

I'm beginning to suspect that Jerry's opponent, the ping pong golem, may have actually moved at some point during their 5 games.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlueBlue wrote: »

I'm beginning to suspect that Jerry's opponent, the ping pong angel, may have actually moved at some point during their 5 games.

Only when he wasn't looking.

0bCQ7.jpg

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one bugged by their bad technique? They keep backing off way too far from the table, they lay some really high fucking balls just tempting people to smash the shit out of them and the last guy kept doing a serve that was actually illegal. I feel that with a week or two of practice (since I havn't played table tennis in a few years) I could beat everyone on there, except possibly Khoo. Probably my arrogance talking though.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2011
    ohhhhh, he was the same guy that was saying we shouldn't back off the table... hahah, alright.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    look he has seen a lot of pings and pongs in his day

and he can tell when you are doing it wrong

faits on
    faits.png
    edited May 2011
    Robert you're obviously just jealous that a guy on the internet can beat your whole team at ping-pong.

KalTorak on
    edited May 2011
    well, only if he practiced for a couple weeks

faits on
    faits.png
    edited May 2011
    Geez guys, it's not cheating unless you get caught.

Tonkka on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So if you want to take your level of etiquette higher than "not cheating" I'd suggest you start lifting them fingers.

I'm lifting a finger right now actually.

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
    edited May 2011
    So if you want to take your level of etiquette higher than "not cheating" I'd suggest you start lifting them fingers.

Perfect

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited May 2011
    I don't think that's the right finger

god stop trying to do etiquette you are just so bad at it

faits on
    faits.png
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

:^:

this is a good post

101 on
This discussion has been closed.