As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What to cook with this?

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Was in the kitchen early this morning and decided to try random things with chicken. What I ended up making was chicken breast, cut up in about 1/2 - 1 inch squares, mixed w/ ground cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, sesame seeds and a little dried oregano, cooked in bacon grease and butter. After that I added in a broken up piece of bacon.

What is something that would work well with this? I was thinking some type of noodles or rice. I'd made something similar to this before and use plain spaghetti, but the spaghetti always got boring once I ran out of chicken.

KurnDerak on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So you have chicken and you want to know what to eat with chicken, but you don't want to do spaghetti because once you run out of chicken you won't want the spaghetti? It sounds like you're asking what you should cook aside from the chicken, if "tastes good without chicken" is one of your criteria.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always try to follow the rule of matching the noodle to the sauce and/or additional ingredients. If you have big chunks of something you want to eat with noodles, long noodles are a shitty choice because you twirl those around the fork to eat them, and you can't twirl them up with big chunks in them. So you either eat the chunks first, and get left with boring noodles, or you eat the boring noodles first, and get left with a bowl full of chunks. Spaghetti with meat sauce works because the tomato paste basically binds the meat in place, creating a delicious meat slurry that adheres nicely to the noodles; fettuccine alfredo works because the sauce is so thick and creamy it just coats the noodles in fatty deliciousness. On the other hand, if you were making up a big pasta salad with kidney beans and big pieces of green pepper and tomato and ham, you would want to use a chunky, self-contained noodle, like medium shells.

In your case, since you have big 1" cubes of chicken you want to use in a pasta, you would be better off with the latter, chunkier style of noodle. Bowties, shells, some variety of penne, whatever. Throw in some coarsely chopped mushrooms, sauteed onions, garlic, and olive oil, and you've got yourself a tasty meal.

Alternate suggestion: couscous. Cook it up, stir in the same spices you used on the chicken while it sits, then mix the chicken into it and eat it with a spoon.

Kate of Lokys on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like the chicken would be great just tossed into a pita and devoured like a sandwich, maybe toss some lettuce on there or some fresh tomato slices. Probably couldn't go wrong with some grilled onions.

Alternatively, rice goes with pretty much every protein on the planet. f you run out of chicken before you run out of rice, make some other protein to go with the rice.

see317 on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    get a pile of lettuce.

put the chicken on the pile of lettuce.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions. I look forward to trying them out next time I get around to cooking.

The thought of lettuce/salad hadn't even occurred to me, though I have made a chicken salad before with a different type of spicy chicken that worked out quite well.

At the suggestion of couscous I did a 5 second search and came upon a recipe for spicy couscous that could work.

I never have pita bread around the house, though I often have tortillas and so a wrap style thing could work just as well I imagine.

All these obvious things that should have occurred to me since I've done them with other types of chicken. I've done peppers and onions with angel hair for a basic lemon pepper chicken that worked pretty well, and if I kept the breast pieces larger it should work with this too. Or just chance the pasta and keep the pieces smaller.

KurnDerak on
  • Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Perhaps just keep the chicken breast whole and cook it the same way you did the chunks. Then make a salad or quinoa/rice dish with the bacon for a side. Just google around and you will find lots of stuff for bacon side dishes.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient