Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New to Xbox Live Gold

LuxLux Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've never been one for online gaming, but I now have 12 months of Xbox Live Gold. Most of my current games don't have an online play component. What do I get to catch up on it? What has a sizeable community to play with these days? I know some kind of Modern Warfare or Halo is the obvious choice, but I'm not that great at FPS games. I'll still accept those suggestions, since I'm sure they make up 80% of online console games, but what else is both fun and still popular?

Lux on

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood has a really good and unique multiplayer element. I haven't played it in a few months, but I imagine the community is still going strong for it.

• Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well right now Call of Duty Black Ops probably will have the strongest community, Halo reach wouldn't be far behind. In a few months you'll have Gears of War 3 and Battlefield 3 both will have large communities in all likelihood. All of these are shooters though so may not be your cup of tea.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blops and Halo Reach are going to be the top games, definitely. Could also consider some of the cheaper arcade games.

"Well, look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?"
    "Big Damn Heroes, Sir."
    "Ain't we just."
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Really, if you're new to multiplayer gaming, I'd steer clear of COD and Halo. They have very established communities, and although you can join 'novice' games, you're going to be out of your element.

I recommend picking up Borderlands. Grab the GOTY edition for the DLC.

daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Section 8 Prejudice is a multiplayer title that's new and has a number of Penny Arcade people playing it, and because it's an Arcade title it's only $15 as opposed to the higher price you'd pay for the latest Call of Duty or Halo. Also because it's an Arcade title you can play the multiplayer for half an hour as a trial.

optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar