As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Contracts! How do they work?!

AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got commissioned to illustrate a book. It's a huge deal, with a big name behind it, and I have to make sure my art and I are protected. I need to know how to make a contract. For some reason no body told me how to make a contract at my school before, which I believe is a problem. Does anyone have any experience with this? How should I word it? I'm not even entirely sure what I should ask for on it either.

If anyone has any experience with this, I desperately need the help. Thanks!

AlyceInWonderland on

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is a lawyer matter.

I mean sure you could write something down and make someone sign it, but that doesn't mean it'll actually be enforceable.

Oh also, if its a big name aren't they going to have you sign a contract that you should have a lawyer look over?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is a lawyer matter.

Unless you're very familiar with contract and IP law, you absolutely need a lawyer to make things bulletproof.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How much are you being paid?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I should clarify. The daughter of [name redacted] contacted me, and wants me to illustrate her late father's book. That's what I meant by "big name".
    kaliyama wrote: »
    How much are you being paid?

Couple thousand, probably. She just contacted me this morning, so we're still in the process of talking about this.

I guess I should look up a lawyer then!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yep, and you'll ask the lawyer about drafting a generic "Statement of Work" contract for freelance illustration. Clarify that you're looking to be able to slot in the name of the company/individual you'll be working for, the description of the work, and the price. You'll also want to clarify whether it's paid up front or invoiced upon completion.

Alternatively, you can tell the daughter of [name redacted] -- "I agree to the terms you've outlined; can you please submit an official contract that I can look over and sign before I begin work?" There's no reason you can't ask them to supply the contract for you to look over and sign. But if you're looking to do freelance work, you should talk to an attorney anyway so you can ask them to review contracts you receive, unless you're going to take some law classes yourself to familiarize yourself with their wording and general legal stuff.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If I was charging to review a contract and I had to think through lots of things, and carefully tweak language. I'd be charging more than the value of the contract because I would spend hours on it. Any lawyer you can afford on this wouldn't be giving you good advice. I googled "pro bono new york artist" and got this, which makes more sense than paying for a lawyer. http://www.vlany.org/legalservices/index.php

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    [name redacted], [name redacted]?

ummmm

could I buy a signed copy from you?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What about an agent? They are experienced in this too. They would be good at finding you future work too. Though maybe you do this job THEN find the agent.

Alyce, your last few questions have been "my life is so awesome!" :P Just kidding, but your life sounds amazing. Congratulations!

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »
    [Name redacted], House on Haunted Hill [name redacted]?

ummmm

could I buy a signed copy from you?

Haha yes, that [name redacted]. I can hardly believe it myself, really. And sure, down the line if this thing ever gets published :P

What about an agent? They are experienced in this too. They would be good at finding you future work too. Though maybe you do this job THEN find the agent.

Alyce, your last few questions have been "my life is so awesome!" :P Just kidding, but your life sounds amazing. Congratulations!

I was thinking about getting an agent. I'm not entirely sure how to go about it though.
    I've had some neat opportunities arise, and I'm thankful for that, but my life is far from glamorous. I'll be paying my student loans off for the rest of my life :P I'm just really bad with...business (Hence all these damn threads), and figuring out what my art is worth, and how I should be going about all this business crap, because school just did not prepare me for it.

Thanks though! I'm excited

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    You want a lawyer stat, if not an agent.

Also, I won't make you or anything, but I am generally of the opinion that it's bad to name-drop in these threads because they are so very easily searchable, so I recommend you remove the names for your own protection. If you decide to do so I'll help with the editing of other posts, so let me know.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That would be great, Ceres. Thanks.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    [Some posts edited by me to remove the name]

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    facadesfacades Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are a number of free legal services available to you, as it has been mentioned above. Also, form contracts have been popping up all over the internet in the past few years, and most of them are pretty good. You should be able to read them to get a good idea of what you should be looking for.

As for contract formation 101, it is a complicated subject and I don't want you to take my few words and base your decision only off what I say. However, contracts are generally enforceable if they accurately reflect undisputable terms, it's clearly written, and it's signed and acknowledged by both parties. If you do decide to engage in this endeavor yourself, make sure that the terms are CLEAR, UNAMBIGUOUS, and UNDISPUTED. Contracts get into trouble when not all the key terms are included, or if it comes out that the parties were not on the same page.

I am not a lawyer, but I am in law school. If find a form contract you like, I'd be happy to review it and try to explain any terms you may have questions about. Hope this helps your educational process, and congrats on your work!

facades on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Congrats! Both on getting a big sale and on being a member of the 1% of artists that is smart enough to care about the buisness aspectes BEFORE getting screwed. Most of my clients, regardless of profession, have to learn the hard way at least once.
    kaliyama wrote: »
    I googled "pro bono new york artist" and got this, which makes more sense than paying for a lawyer. http://www.vlany.org/legalservices/index.php

I don't know those guys, but that seems like a reasonable idea. You get what you pay for and all that, but espcially if there's some expertise in the providers that's a great place to start.

One comment: you're likely selling all of your rights, forever, for the price you've been quoted. They'll want to be able to reproduce the art forever without paying you, and they won't want you to go selling or displaying the art they paid you to make. I don't know that to be true, but I wouldn't be surprised, espcially if you've already come to terms on a price (generally) without discussing those aspects.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    facades wrote: »
    I am not a lawyer, but I am in law school. If find a form contract you like, I'd be happy to review it and try to explain any terms you may have questions about. Hope this helps your educational process, and congrats on your work!

And when the Bar Application asks you if you have ever tried to engage in the unlicensed practice of law, you'll want to disclose this thread.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would have to recommend against a lawyer, just because having a contract professionally drafted will probably be disproportionately expensive to the size of this project. Feel free to check but I don't think it's a reasonable solution in most cases like this.

Type "creating a contract for art work" or something similar into google; there are plenty of serviceable examples of effective contracts posted by artists who live off of their contract work, and you can pick and choose the contract terms that seem important and that appear consistently in the sample contracts.

You'll probably want to at least include the work to be done, a timeline for the work, amount of and timeline for payment, and to explicitly state who owns copyright to the work.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.