As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e PbP] Death's Veil: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens (OOC)

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yea, that's a rather awesome sketch for a rough work. I've added it as your current token in the OP. Just lemme know if you update it and I can fix as needed.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Edit: Also yes, we have no controller, two leaders, the burliest Striker in the game (Blackguard), and a CON based Striker as a close second. We have a very very durable party.

The party's swordmage is also a multiclass bard who picked up Mending Word 1/day. So you know...more healing.

I wouldn't know anything about that :whistle:

Oh I see how it is, conspiring against me.

Conspiracy! ;-)

Also, Grog thats pretty awesome and I look forward to the group pic!

Z0re on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's an awesome pic Grog.

Without the hair, he almost looks like an elven Jean-Luc Picard.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gonna try and rp as Picard now...
    Thanks guys, already sketching stuff for the rest of you. <3 drawing tieflings but dragonborn faces can be tricky. Mind if I just put a bag on Thekla's head?

Grog on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some relevant Errata that was just released in May that will (minorly) affect you guys:
    Cannith Goggles
    -Change the item’s level to 11. Change the power’s first sentence to, “Expend an arcane encounter attack power or daily attack power.”

Now since you already bought it I'm likely not going to say you have to give it back, but the power description change will still be important (if minor).

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Grog wrote: »
    Thanks guys, already sketching stuff for the rest of you. <3 drawing tieflings but dragonborn faces can be tricky. Mind if I just put a bag on Thekla's head?

No need to rush. Take your time with it. I don't mind if Thekla's last, just as long as the others can get theirs first.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, Grog gets tons of brownie points for drawing! I'm still on the road, so posting is going to be rough for me until Tuesday. If you can use a placeholder for me until then it would be awesome!

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Okie! I can include you in my updates unless another character would prefer to.

If the party wants to advance on the trolls following the IC post instructions feel free. Note that you don't have to enter at the very south portion of the map. The southeast and southwest corners are options as well.

General information I already forgot to mention:

1) I give a free (single) monster knowledge roll a the start of combat and then during encounters they're minor actions. You're not compelled to roll one if you don't care to, but it at least incentives its use.
    2) Skill checks in general are unprompted (that is, if you include a skill check yourself that you think relates I'll likely run with it in at least some kind of answer) unless there's a specific situation where it's needed (like a skill challenge).

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fiaryn, can I get a perception check?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Indeed you can.

I'll just leave the result here.

Perception: 1d20+6 23

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Was there a sale on 23s recently or did I just miss something?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ...Touche.

And oddly enough, here I thought finding a golden haired, emerald eyed male eladrin bard might be too specific a search. But no, second result and the standby token for Merrill until he finds one he likes:

L0lwi.png

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is it possible to jump/climb over the wall, and set a position somewhere #S16?

Also, got a nature check, just so that Thekla could run through what a Troll's weakness was again.

Nature Check: 1d20+5 21

Also, my Stealth check practically failed (a 9), so I wondered if I could go the other side of the map (South east) by climbing over the wall and luring some of the Trolls away.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The wall costs 2 squares of movement to cross, so even outside the initial setup you wouldn't need to jump/climb unless you're trying to lessen that penalty with a check. Given that it's initial setup, that's superfluous aside from IC description of your movement.

There's a range at which stealth checks are unnecessary but at that square (S16) you're well within it so you can try and draw them away, sure. Could either see which among you has the worst stealth roll (and thus is noticed first) or try and draw them away with a social skill.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks, just wanted to know.

Incoming post go!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    For reference and planning purposes, Efail and Atish will start this encounter Hidden.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You know, I could of swore I read U23 as Atish's initial placement. Hmmm...I'll have the map fixed up next update but for the moment assume that when Atish initially sees the ogre, it's really Thekla seeing the ogre as you only have line of sight on his side of the wall.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is it worth me delaying to take advantage of being hidden? I'm just going to charge in and use word of exchange anyway.

Grog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fiaryn, sorry about getting your position mixed up (U3 is totally not U23) on the map initially. I've corrected this, though I bumped you down to V3 simply because U3 doesn't have enough of the brush to qualify for concealment whereas V3 does and that seemed to be your intention.

Also, my dice are apparently allergic to Troll charges.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Aegis, you guessed correctly. I was trying to be on the furthest most edge while still being eligible for sneakyness.

Time to spring the pincer maneuver B)

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm going to hold my action for the moment since silverlight doesn't work on my phone and I can't view my powers except on the online CB. Ill be back in reach of a computer tomorrow so I can put up a post. Sorry for the inconvenience! My plan likely involves popping up and shooting the acid spitting troll with one of my fancy arrows.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If you'd like, you could Delay until back.

Edit: We can probably just assume it's a delay and I'll have the troll's action up after supper.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Somehow I knew the dice would fuck me over after the Stealth/Perception luck.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Word of Exchange says 'the next attack against the target from one of your allies deals extra damage to the target equal to your wisdom mod, and the ally gains thp equal to your wisdom mod'

Is that now wasted on Atish's attack, and if so would he gain the thp? Just confused because it says next attack, not next hit.

Grog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's slightly worse: Had you charged (+1 attack, +CA from being hidden) adjacent to Efail (+1 attack) you'd have a +21 to hit and only missed on a 1.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In short, no force on earth could have gotten me to hit. The dice have spoken :(

1ssssss

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Grog wrote: »
    Word of Exchange says 'the next attack against the target from one of your allies deals extra damage to the target equal to your wisdom mod, and the ally gains thp equal to your wisdom mod'

Is that now wasted on Atish's attack, and if so would he gain the thp? Just confused because it says next attack, not next hit.

There's at least another power or part of power of a Runepriest that has the same wording and then there are a few parts of Runepriest at-wills that specifically mention "next attack that hits". Because of that I think the distinction is intentional and so yes, the extra damage is wasted.

However, because it triggers off the next attack and not next hit, he still would get THP. So yes, Atish should have the temp hp.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I assume you're fine with provoking the OA from Troll #3 when moving, yes Z0re?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, out of curiousity, how do we handle immediate interrupts? Do we just post it here, or in the thread after the action or on our turn?

Also, yes I'm fine with provoking the Opportunity Attack.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Classy use of Loyal Unto Death.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just post it in the IC thread when it comes up. Depending on how important it is to a person's actions it may or may not be reflected in the status updates until my next update.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just want to comment about the +22 base damage Fiaryn is commanding. That's...insane.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It'll be a +31 as soon as I get to target something Bloodied!

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And here I thought my sorcerer was impressive at a whooping 15 damage static. Though I rebuilt mine..he's a bit nastier, but sadly I don't get to use him anymore.

Actually, is there some way I could get your .dnd4e file?

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You know it might help if I include the actual flavour text.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I should note, as I have currently omitted it as every troll has moved adjacent to a PC, but the Troll Claw attacks (what they use with charging) are Reach 2.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That was awesome Z0re. Swordmages are way too cool

Grog on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My favorite defenders. <3

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Swordmages have amazing powers I've got to say, and teleporting around is super fun. :P Besides, marking stuff and running away to beat up something else is kind of hilarious.

Z0re on