Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4e PbP] Death's Veil: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens (OOC)

AegisAegis Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Critical Failures
Death's Veil: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens

jVpsK.jpg

The small town of Moonstair, lying on the far frontier of the barony of Therund, has been a central stop on the north-south Trade Road for ages. More importantly, it has been a site of intense interest to scholars, academicians, explorers, and countless bands of adventurers as the town houses a rare portal to the Feywild. Connecting the otherwise dainty town of normal human farmers and traders to the mystique and splendour of the fey realms, it has proved a source of wonder to the area and to the barony itself for quite some time.

Yet east of the town lies the dangerous wilderness known as the Trollhaunt--a maze of swampland, thickets, gullies, and forested ridges. In ages past, this area was part of a land called Vardar, a violent realm of troll war-clans and the monsters that served them. Vardar fell into ruin centuries ago, leaving only dank barrows and a few fog-shrouded stone forts to mark its existence. The trolls and other foul creatures dwelling in the Trollhaunt degenerated into savagery, preying on each other and any travellers foolish enough to venture into their lands. However, things in the Trollhaunt are about to change...

x3Uhv.jpg

The great troll chieftain Skalmad has put an end to the feuds and squabbling of his kin, using ancient fomorian magic to declare himself King of the Trollhaunt. Now, Skalmad and his monstrous followers are turning their malice toward neighbouring human lands. for the first time in centuries, the trolls of the Trollhaunt have a leader with the will and the wits to forge his lesser fellows into a conquering army. Vardar lives again, and if nothing is done to check Skalmad's power, Moonstair will be just the first of many settlements to fall.

The Final Party:

VerdanceMicah.png Verdance Micah, Tiefling Malec-Keth Janissary Swordmage
Spoiler:
TheklaKalamanos.png Thekla Kalamanos, Dragonborn Soldier of Conquest Blackguard of Bane
Spoiler:
AtishZadiki.png Atish Zadiki, Tiefling Turathi Highborn Hexblade
Spoiler:
L0lwi.png Merril, Eladrin Cunning Prevaricator Bard
Spoiler:
VUqJt.pngEfail Argylvid, Elven Master of the Forge Runepriest
Spoiler:

The Lost:

N/A! (Yet)

Mechanics Changes:

1) All players receive a free expertise feat, taken from whichever expertise feat fits their character.

Moonstair Economy Info:
Spoiler:

Party Experience:

Level 11
* 5100 xp - Ambush the Giant Party
* 3500 xp - Trollhaunt Wilderness Ambush
* 3100 xp - Road Trolls Encounter
* 600 xp - Convince Bax to Talk About the Trollhaunt

Loot Acquired:

Current Gold (23/07/11): Party: 6,764 gp

Level 11
Gold: 28 platinum pieces, 3,650 gold coins, 15 gems (2,000 gp)
Magic Items:
Other Items:
* 16 Alchemical Items [16x Acidic Fires]
* 2 Potions [2x Kruthic Potions (400 gp)]
Sold Items: 1100 gp (1 Art Object)
Purchased Items: -200 gp (bar tab), -2576 gp (16x Acidic Fires), -10 gp (accommodation)

Aegis on
Currently DMing: None right now! :(
Characters
[5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13

• MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Medrash the Pyre

Character Sheet: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/3079
    Spoiler:

Medrash the Pyre has been wandering around for a few years now. The dragon blood that runs through his veins had forced him to be a force to be reckoned with in his travels, but the same blood brings hatred from other dragonborn down upon him. They say his blood is "Too pure." They say that that blood may create a desire to rule. They were right.

Medrash is calculating, knowing that operating with people means to win them over first. He is slow to anger, and reserves unleashing his magic for those who truly should burn. He is aware that he is intimidating, and uses that to get his way. While not the smartest, he knows how to manipulate others, and has no qualms doing so. He refuses to break the law though, and sees committing crimes against innocents as acts of treason.

Medrash has learned to tap into the arcane powers that his blood brings forth through him. He is slowly becoming a living embodiment of a dragon, showing the wit, intelligence, charisma, and the greed that comes with that.

Personality: A bit prone to yelling, but knows that force doesn't always win things. He is quite educated, and is willing to step in front to deal with deliberations. However, when evil shows, or it becomes apparent that someone needs some discipline, Medrash will quickly bring his fire to bear, both to scorch his enemies and to light the way for his allies.

Appearance: He is a dusky brown, but the edges of his scales shine with a dull gleam. While not consistent, you see licks of flame appear from around his nose and mouth, almost like a true dragon would. His presense radiates with intense heat, as though fire might come bursting out at any second. He typically wears a loose robe, but no other armor, looking more like a begger then an adventurer. His staff moves freely in his hands, and you know he is an expert in using it.

MaxFrost on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sheet: Falchion

Image?
    Spoiler:

Background- Story
    Spoiler:

History
    Spoiler:

Personality
    Spoiler:

• TiamatZTiamatZ Freeze...and burn! Double TroubleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just a question regarding armor:

Masterwork ones OK (eg. instead of taking a Magic Leather Armor +3, can one take a Magic Drowmesh Leather Armor +3 instead)?

Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
    DotaJakSig_zps399cf6a1.png
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yup, masterwork armour is fine. Though given the starting item level allotment, this'll naturally be limited to only the first tier of masterwork armour.

Characters
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How do you feel about Unearthed Arcana?
    Specifically the alternative Avenger class feature "Divine Indentification" which replaces Divine Guidance.
    Spoiler:

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited May 2011
    I don't have a particular issue with the power. Can't recall offhand if the offline builder has Unearthed Arcana additions mind you.

Characters
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sheet: Atish Zadiki
    Spoiler:

"Discipline is not a luxury to be indulged at ones convenience, it is necessity for those whispered promises of power."

History and Personality: Atish Zadiki ardently believes it is up to him to revive the honor of the Tiefling race. Born to the merchant house Zadiki and raised on his fathers tales of Turathi discipline and prowess, he is keenly aware of the hubris that led to their downfall yet convinced that at the core of his people is a strong will and a cunning intellect, traits that can only benefit the world if only they weren't scattered to the winds without direction. In keeping with the traditions of the Turathi Bloodknights he has gained mastery of sword and hellfire, snatching a favorable bargain from the jaws of the Fiends, and set out into the world to prove the worth of the Scions of Bael Turath.

His career as an [strike]adventurer[/strike] ambassador of his kind has not been perfect, his abilities and heritage feared by many, however he commands a grudging respect since his triumph over a cabal of Demonologists worshipping the Demogorgon in the shadows of the city of Kwythellar. Since then he has come to be known as an almost chivalrous figure, save for his ruthlessness. He has a code, one he is all too happy to inflict on others and judge them lacking if need be in the case of fellow warlocks, and he will not abandon it like his ancestors did.

In time he hopes to serve as a symbol of hope and unity for his people, rallying them together to endeavor anew towards something better. Bael Turath was a failure, but the potential of the Tieflings is not yet at its end. Nerath fell, in his opinion, for lack of ambition and a preoccupation with luxury. If any are to inject the necessary drive and ambition for an empire, any empire, to tame this world once more, it should be he and his kind. And Atish is willing to prove it.

Party Motivation: Ever one to prove the worth of Tiefling skill and will, Atish is quick to leap at the chance to join a force meant to defend against the burgeoning force of Vardar. Besides...removing such a force of chaos is its own reward. Trolls have nothing to offer civilization but target practice!

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited May 2011
    Sheet: Thekla Kalamanos, Dragonborn Blackguard of Bane

"As a soldier and protector to those you once swore to protect, I am disgusted by your cowardice! May the Black Hand himself punish and curse your future descendants! As for you, I judge thee... guilty!"

Image:
    Spoiler:

History and life:
    Spoiler:

Party Motivation:
    Spoiler:

Personality:
    Spoiler:

Notes:
    Spoiler:

Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
    edited May 2011
    What we need is Thekla, Atish, and a group of other Lawfully inclined individuals.

Then we would have Judge Dredd, The Party :D

• MatevMatev Benjamin Warsaw, Action Six News! It's Benji.......like the dogRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Placeholder, I'm gonna wanna be getting up ins when I get home to all my delicious tools tonight!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Spoiler:
  • AnialosAnialos RPG MPD patient #1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will be putting an app in as well. This seems like a grand old time and the subs so far look fun to play with!

Dichotomy wrote: »
    I play a lot of video games but I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" because "gamer" has become a pretty fucking disgusting label

like "skinhead" or "republican"
  • ahcobrasahcobras Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm interested in this as well. I hope to get a character up this evening.

Edit: In regards to items, are you sticking hard and fast to the 12, 11, 10, or can we just assume we have the equivalent gold of those items (with no item exceeding 12), in case we want a 12, 10, 10 in items, for example?

edited May 2011
    You can always sub in a lower level item if you don't find a 12/11/10 that fits and just have the difference be taken out as the gold coin value.

Characters
    edited May 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    What we need is Thekla, Atish, and a group of other Lawfully inclined individuals.

Then we would have Judge Dredd, The Party :D

Only if Atish is the Judge, the rest of the party the Jury, and Thekla...?

Well, she doesn't carry an Execution Axe for nothing. :P

• MatevMatev Benjamin Warsaw, Action Six News! It's Benji.......like the dogRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And here I was wanting to roll a rogue....unless I make him a treasure hunter...... hrm....

Spoiler:
    edited May 2011
    Baern, Dwarven Battlemind of Ioun

Character Builder Summary:
    Spoiler:
    Defenses in here are correct. Orokos import isn't counting Superior Fortitude and Improved Defenses.

Background:
    Spoiler:

Human version of what he looks like:
    Spoiler:

I play a lot of video games but I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" because "gamer" has become a pretty fucking disgusting label

edited May 2011
    One last question: are hybrid classes OK?

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ooh paragon! I will do this.

• MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Medrash could be the prosecutor. And sheesh so many people insanely good at intimidating here.

edited May 2011
    ahcobras wrote: »
    One last question: are hybrid classes OK?

Yup, hybrid classes are fine. Paragon Multiclassing or Paragon Hybrid builds are not recommended, but then noone ever takes those anyway so that's probably not an issue.

Characters
    edited May 2011
    MaxFrost wrote: »
    Medrash could be the prosecutor. And sheesh so many people insanely good at intimidating here.

I also took a daily utility that lets me force 1+Charisma modifier answers out of a helpless opponent by forcing apocalyptic visions into their brain :D

Edit: Tidied up Atish's submission post a bit.

Edit edit: Tiamat you may not have noticed this but Thekla has no neck items. Your NADs are in danger! Daaaaanger!

edited May 2011
    Thanks for pointing that our Fiaryn. Fixed it. Decided to drop the Helm and went for a collar of Recovery and a Belt of Vigor (Extra hit points from a healing surge for me!)

In addition, updated Thekla's character sheet, by shifting some stats around as well.

edited May 2011
    If Aegis is as "hand the party their ass" happy as I hear, I will be glad I took the Shroud of Revival D:

edited May 2011
    Felthas the Undying Rogue (Revenant)

Background
    Spoiler:

Personality
    Spoiler:

Appearance
    Spoiler:

I hope this is good.

Spoiler:
    edited May 2011
    Matev, your sheet seems to be missing all of your character's powers.

Characters
    edited May 2011
    Well that's annoying, I'll rework it when I get home tonight.

Otherwise, how's the rest?

Spoiler:
    edited May 2011
    Matev wrote: »

If you imported into Orokos from the online character builder the powers will be missing. Got around that myself by importing the character into the offline builder then resaving it. Orokos likes the offline char file alot better for some reason.

edited May 2011
    Anialos wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »

If you imported into Orokos from the online character builder the powers will be missing. Got around that myself by importing the character into the offline builder then resaving it. Orokos likes the offline char file alot better for some reason.

(It is because the offline character builder doesn't suck and is reasonably well made)

edited May 2011
    This of course will mean I'll need to figure out a way to get access to the offline builder :?

Spoiler:
    edited May 2011
    One last question (for real this time): I'm thinking of submitting a bola-wielding Hunter. The Avalanche Hurler Paragon path fits nicely fluff-wise; however, the mechanics are odd. Both of the attack powers associated with that have the following conditions:

Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
    Requirement: You must be wielding two melee weapons.

However, a bola is just a Flail ranged weapon with the Light Thrown property. If I were to be chosen, could we handwave that requirement for the attacks to work? It seems like an odd restriction on a power that could be melee OR ranged.

edited May 2011
    That Paragon Path is designed around a dual-wielding thrown weapon build. So things like dual-throwing hammers or dual-handaxes, a combination of the two, etc. The addition of "you must be wielding two melee weapons" is simply to specifically note that the powers are intended only for light/heavy thrown weapons and not the regular gauntlet of bows and such.

And it separates it as "Melee or Ranged Weapon" because the power lets you either use your heavy thrown weapons in melee, or if you want, in ranged by throwing them. Naturally, for it to work you'd have to have these thrown weapons be melee weapons in the first place (like throwing hammers or handaxes).

Characters
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm gonna go ahead and reserve this post for my app when it's ready. I've got my "fencer" fighter just about finished. Quick question, I'm assuming we can use our starting 5k gold to buy other magic items (if it costs 5k or less, obviously)?

*edit: I figured it'd be easier to post my app below, just to make sure my app isn't overlooked*

edited May 2011
    Yup. Starting gold is used for lower level magic items, consumables, rituals, miscellaneous odds and ends, furniture, sundries, or the beginnings of one's own dragon hoard.

Characters
    edited May 2011
    Hrm, the hunt continues....

Spoiler:
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here's my submission for Erik Chandler, the Human Fencer (Fighter)!

Character Sheet: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/3116

Background:
    Spoiler:

Description:
    Spoiler:

Party Motivation:
    Spoiler:

edited May 2011
    I'm going to just post an update with regarding to the setting's background after having finding a link that firmly places its location in Points of Light. If you view this map of an upcoming Board Game (because it couldn't just be in a lore article, but rather in a supplemental game), you'll note that the Trollhaunt Warrens are located to the west of the former lands of Nerath and to the southwest of the Nentir Vale (which incidentally slightly contradicts advice given in the module as to where to place this location).

If this impacts your background at all, feel free to incorporate the DMG's notes on the Fall of Nerath into any character building and/or and nearby regions for character origins and where they'd have come from. It's highly likely this area would have featured prominently in the former empire of Nerath, albeit potentially cut-off from the main Empire given the presence of the Troll Kingdom.

Characters
    edited May 2011
    Updated the ol' Hexblades character sheet in numerous ways. Shuffled around his stats (we were a bit Wisdom score deficient anyway!), changed his Paragon Path to Turathi Highborn because A) It's deliriously biznasty and B) It's also more thematic for him with his Tiefling racial pride/Turathi nationalism thing going on.

Also put Erathis in his Deity field, felt it was befitting of his belief in the rule of law and the march of civilization.

• srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bost, Mul Hybrid Warlord | Runepriest / Angelic Avenger of Moradin

Edit for a "nevermind." because I'm stupid.

Second Edit for a clarification, mostly fore Aegis - if I wind up in the game and no one's interested in taking the Vanguards, I'll just dump them. No need to worry about endlessly busting out low-level daily powers, that wasn't my intent with them. I liked them for their property and Bost's various charge encouragements. I thought it would be cool to kit him out in a way that he has a clear history of tactics and methodology for enabling allies, down to keeping special gear on his person for special circumstances. Whatever ones aren't distributed among the group, I'll sell off or just dump - I'm fine with paying that to see if anyone is inclined to try to get a crazy ass plan come to fruition. If you don't want that happening at all, I'll dump the whole mindset and pick up a real magic item to fill in the slot.

Quick History:
    Spoiler:

Long History - No, for real, I did research, got a little crazy, but I had fun with it, so f it.
    Spoiler:

Mechanics
    Spoiler:

Appearance / Mannerisms
    Spoiler:

Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
    edited May 2011
    Hexblades work just fine, CBLoader does all the heavy lifting with newer rules.

Edit: Minor addition to Atish' history section to clarify his way of thinking and long term goals.

Edit edit: Hopefully final touches made. Being a bit of a perfectionist. :P

edited May 2011
    I reserve the right to spontaneously have 3.5e Rust Monsters wander across the party's travels if multiples of low-level daily items are stocked.

And no, Free Expertise Feat is a Free Expertise Feat, not a Free Feat. Were it the latter it wouldn't be offered to begin with.

Characters