As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tuxedo - ideas, pics, advice

SolventSolvent Econ-artistกรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello H/A. I am need of tuxedo advice.

I need to sort out what I will wear for my wedding. It's a long way off yet, but I'm thinking about it. Anyway, I thought perhaps tuxedo with waistcoat would be kind of classic and appropriate. I intend to have my wedding-wear made for me in Ho Chi Minh City (I will be there next year).

The tailors in Vietnam tend to be slightly behind whatever the trends in fashion are in the West, so I hope it would be suitable to find some good pics on the internet somewhere, and use them as a guide for the tailor.

Now before you suggest it: yes, I have used google image to search 'tuxedo'. But to be honest, nothing's jumping off the computer screen at me. I wonder if, perhaps, there are fashion gurus hanging around that can direct me to images of some suave, dapper men wearing tuxedos that they like. Or advice on how they picked out their wedding gear.

The boundaries for the thread are thus: my mind is not 100% set on tuxedos. Other rad kinds of suit can be suggested. However keep in mind I am not on the cutting edge of fashion and anything particularly outlandish will be ignored. Comments and discussion around 'Have you really considered the difficulties in having your wedding-wear tailored in another country?' are welcome. I have had stuff tailored in VN before, but are there particular pitfalls I should nonetheless be reminded of? Is it even commonplace to have tailors make suits using pictures as a guide? I don't know.

As for best man/groomsmen, I had thought that if I get a reasonably 'classic' black tux, then I can ask them to buy or hire a similarly classic tux from a hire place that will match mine to a fair degree of accuracy. Is this a terrible assumption?

Lastly, from Google image, some pics that I think look 'kind of' alright:
http://www.next.co.uk/x47428s1
http://www.deluxe-lifestyle.ro/library/smoching-zenonni.jpg
http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/291144538/white-mens-complete-designer-tuxedo-wedding-Bridegroom-suit-Groom-wear-Clothes-Pants-tie-.jpg
(...mmm... maybe not that last one)

PS: Oh yeah, and bow ties, do the ones that look good all come pre-tied and clip-on? Because I don't think I've ever seen one that looked neat and tight that was also tied by hand by the guy wearing it. There's so much about fashion I neither know nor really care about...

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
Solvent on

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Formal style doesn't change so quickly that a good tailor in vietnam will somehow be hopelessly behind the times. Even when some "new" trend does pop up with tuxes, it's usually just recycling something that was in style decades ago and hasn't come back around for a while. And wedding attire is generally more traditional than flamboyant anyway.

Is the bride already involved in the decision? That is a good first step.

The groomsmen should be pretty easy. Just go with black and match the accessories with whatever you're wearing.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OtarOtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Solvent wrote: »
    Hello H/A. I am need of tuxedo advice.

I need to sort out what I will wear for my wedding. It's a long way off yet, but I'm thinking about it. Anyway, I thought perhaps tuxedo with waistcoat would be kind of classic and appropriate. I intend to have my wedding-wear made for me in Ho Chi Minh City (I will be there next year).

The tailors in Vietnam tend to be slightly behind whatever the trends in fashion are in the West, so I hope it would be suitable to find some good pics on the internet somewhere, and use them as a guide for the tailor.

Now before you suggest it: yes, I have used google image to search 'tuxedo'. But to be honest, nothing's jumping off the computer screen at me. I wonder if, perhaps, there are fashion gurus hanging around that can direct me to images of some suave, dapper men wearing tuxedos that they like. Or advice on how they picked out their wedding gear.

The boundaries for the thread are thus: my mind is not 100% set on tuxedos. Other rad kinds of suit can be suggested. However keep in mind I am not on the cutting edge of fashion and anything particularly outlandish will be ignored. Comments and discussion around 'Have you really considered the difficulties in having your wedding-wear tailored in another country?' are welcome. I have had stuff tailored in VN before, but are there particular pitfalls I should nonetheless be reminded of? Is it even commonplace to have tailors make suits using pictures as a guide? I don't know.

As for best man/groomsmen, I had thought that if I get a reasonably 'classic' black tux, then I can ask them to buy or hire a similarly classic tux from a hire place that will match mine to a fair degree of accuracy. Is this a terrible assumption?

Lastly, from Google image, some pics that I think look 'kind of' alright:
    http://www.next.co.uk/x47428s1
    http://www.deluxe-lifestyle.ro/library/smoching-zenonni.jpg
    http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/291144538/white-mens-complete-designer-tuxedo-wedding-Bridegroom-suit-Groom-wear-Clothes-Pants-tie-.jpg
    (...mmm... maybe not that last one)

PS: Oh yeah, and bow ties, do the ones that look good all come pre-tied and clip-on? Because I don't think I've ever seen one that looked neat and tight that was also tied by hand by the guy wearing it. There's so much about fashion I neither know nor really care about...

The most important part is going to be the colour of the fabric, a lot of people go for black but personally I think tuxedos look better in midnight blue. I don't think the tuxedo has changed a whole lot in recent times, they're usually one or two button with peak lapels (less commonly and for a more 'old' look shawl lapels), some people get them with satin lapels others skip that bit. I've seen some more fashion forward ones that used narrower lapels (what seems to be 'in' with suit design currently), however that's entirely personal taste.

A couple of pictures:

Hugh Laurie rocking a midnight blue one button tux with shawl lapels:
    midnight+blue+esq-Hugh-Laurie-EmmyAwards-082910-lg-5538136.jpg

Black peak lapel tux:

4502%20(1).jpg

And if you want something a little different I have been to weddings wherein the groom chose to wear a morning coat instead of a tux for the ceremony and switch into a tux for the after party:

morning_coat.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1242075240698

Edit: As for bow ties you can tie a decent looking bow tie if you practice for an hour or so using a you tube video, I personally prefer them hand tied but really I doubt too many people will notice if you spring for the clip on...

Otar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SuperbassSuperbass Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, formalwear styling just doesn't change that much unless you're talking about the sort of cutting-edge designers you say you aren't interested in -- so just focus on things like fit, quality of fabric, etc.

If you have a tailor make you a bespoke tux that fits you like a glove, with relatively modern fit (i.e. doesn't fit like a box, but actually conforms to your body, has waist suppression, shows appropriate amount of sleeve cuff, has 1 or no breaks in the pants, etc), and high-quality wool, then you don't really need to stress too much about styling.

Personally, I think shawl collar tuxes are boss, though.

Superbass on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Have you completely written off wearing a suit? at least you could use it again.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Angel177 wrote: »
    Have you completely written off wearing a suit? at least you could use it again.

A tux is a suit. Are you thinking of lounge suits?

Bagginses on
  • Options
    OtarOtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

A tuxedo is more formal than a regular day to day business suit and is considered inappropriate for day to day wear. Typically if the the event does not specify black tie a tuxedo is not appropriate.

Otar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just for reference, if you're buying this and intend to wear it after the wedding for any reason, avoid peaked lapels. Peaks may be in style now, but go in and out of style. If you want a more classic look that will last longer, go without a peak.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Otar wrote: »

A tuxedo is more formal than a regular day to day business suit and is considered inappropriate for day to day wear. Typically if the the event does not specify black tie a tuxedo is not appropriate.

A tuxedo is a offshoot of a smoking jacket, An informal jacket which migrated to formal wear thanks to Edward the VII.

So no a tux is not a suit. You can't wear the jacket to anything other than social functions, a decent suit can be worn almost anywhere, you can even break it up into single pieces.

A suit will give more value in the long run and a tailormade suit will make you look fantastic on the day.

So SUIT UP! unless the missus insits on a tux:P

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tux up. Tuxedos are awesome. I recently held a Tuxedos without Purpose event to get a couple dozen people to go formal for a night on the town. Tux up.

Go classic with the tux and contemporary with the accessories. Black, flat front pants, notch or slight peak on the jacket, ventless or single vent. You'll be able to wear it forever. I would say that most off-the-rack tuxes acknowledge that it is a lifetime investment and have adjustable waistbands that a made-to-measure or custom would not. See this picture for options: http://harmonyonstage.com/tux/pants/tuxpants.html

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like shawl lapels the best.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Otar wrote: »

That's in the US, which is typically less formal than the rest of the Anglophone world. I don't know what the nation in question is like, but a lot of places might not even view eveningwear as acceptable. A lounge/sack suit is right out outside of the US for all but the most casual of weddings, as it is distinctive of the informal dress code.

To be safe, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for trousers with a pattern like this:
    cashmere-stripe.jpg
    If you see it, you will be expected to wear formal trousers (trousers with a pattern like that or another formal pattern) as a part of any formal or semi-formal daytime event. In that case, you'll want to wear morning dress (formal, the typical getup at British weddings), a morning suit (semi-formal, the typical dress for less formal British weddings), or a stroller/black lounge (semi-formal, most commonly seen at the most formal of American weddings. For reference, evening semi-formal is black tie, for which one wears a tux/dinner suit.

Also, the peak lapel is a traditionally popular style, although the shawl lapel is taking over. Either lapel style is likely to be acceptable in the future, although the peaked is more formal. Don't go with notch, as that's generally considered improper for anything more formal than a lounge suit.

For nomenclature, a suit seems to be anything in which all elements (jacket, pants, waistcoat) match. That's why the morning suit is a type of suit.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay random double post.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    I don't really like the look of the sheeny-satin shawl lapels, but in some cases the more matte ones do look boss.
    I do think I'd prefer a tux over just a regular suit - I have one tailored suit already, and yes it is awesome, but at the same time I have the wedding tux tailored I think I'll get a regular business suit as well (if the tailor I end up using has the time to do two while I'm in HCMC). I'm sure I'll find other occasions in life to wear a tux, though they may be few and far between.

I had not thought much about the pants but more the jacket. I'm now considering LaPuzza's suggestion of flat-front pants. All my formal pants are pleated, and that's what I'm used to, but I'll look for a few more pics and eye off the pants.

Solvent on

• Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Look here: http://www.blacktieguide.com. There is literally not a better resource for tuxedo information on the internet, anywhere.

Also what time of day is the wedding?

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Just remembered: during the day, all black is for funerals. At the very least, your waistcoat should be buff (a sandy tan color) or grey.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Look here: http://www.blacktieguide.com. There is literally not a better resource for tuxedo information on the internet, anywhere.

That is an awesome resource. The wedding time hasn't been set yet. We will likely be looking at an afternoon ceremony and then sit-down dinner reception. There's a thought: if the ceremony is afternoon, does that put the tux out-of-bounds?

Also, waistcoats: does it have to match the colour of the tux? If not, what colours look boss?

Solvent on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Solvent wrote: »

That is an awesome resource. The wedding time hasn't been set yet. We will likely be looking at an afternoon ceremony and then sit-down dinner reception. There's a thought: if the ceremony is afternoon, does that put the tux out-of-bounds?

Also, waistcoats: does it have to match the colour of the tux? If not, what colours look boss?

If you go with a tux, black, midnight blue, or white is mandatory. I'd suggest the latter two to avoid looking like a funeral.

The general rule for weddings is that you go by what time the function starts. For weddings, that means that you spend the wedding itself and reception in morning wear. Not the stroller guide at the bottom of that page. That would be the safest option.

Edit: oh year, don't forget the wedding tie, a long tie with some simple pattern of silver with black or white.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    james_bond.jpg

I took images of this tux to a tailor in hong kong and had it made. It turned out great. I wear this pretty much whenever I can even remotely think of a reason. It looks great. And you kind of feel like bond in a tux.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Limp moose wrote: »
    james_bond.jpg

I took images of this tux to a tailor in hong kong and had it made. It turned out great. I wear this pretty much whenever I can even remotely think of a reason. It looks great. And you kind of feel like bond in a tux.

There's no waist covering.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Its intentional. Cumberbunds are for prom.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just be aware that if you're in a tux you're going to want your groomsmen in tuxes and make sure the bride's side of the party is appropriately formal. It just keeps thinking looking nice in pictures.

As for the afternoon part, I'm not going to tell you not to do it because heck it's your wedding. Wearing a tux to a 3:00PM wedding is also not really compatible with wedding etiquette. But honestly, while I'm a wedetiquette nut sometimes, in the greater schemes of breeches this isn't even worth worrying about. You want the wedding party for a 3:30PM wedding and a 5PM dinner? Fuck it, do it. Just make sure it looks awesome.

Frankly, I think you should say fuck it and make the wedding a white tie affair. Top hats and tails as far as the eye can see.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Limp moose wrote: »
    Its intentional. Cumberbunds are for prom.

Which is why god invented vests. Going without looks schlubby on anyone who isn't a Bond.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's fairly common in the states for men to forgo cummerbunds and vests, especially if the affair isn't actually black tie.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's fairly common in the states for men to forgo cummerbunds and vests, especially if the affair isn't actually black tie.

Then you can just wear a nice lounge suit or something.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This has been helpful for my thinking everyone, thanks again.
    OK so I now realise that a tux may not be appropriate afternoon wear, and for an important reason. The stark black and white in daylight may make me look pasty. This is certainly a concern, since my fiance is very dark skinned and I don't want to accentuate my anglo-celtic whiteness standing next to her.

However, morning wear presents its own difficulties. Firstly, buying a great morning wear outfit seems to have even less continued-wear potential than a tux. Although here Prince Harry does look charming and all very good, I don't see myself getting a lot of use out of an outfit like that past my wedding. In addition, I imagine my groomsmen will be able to buy or hire a classic black tux with relatively little difficulty. They will not, however, be at the tailors with me to get their own outfits and I imagine those sort of things are a little bit more difficult to match.

I will make an arrangement with my best man to discuss these issues and see what he has to say.

And I don't think I'll be doing a cummerbund. I do like the idea of a waistcoat (vest) though. I think waistcoats are pretty boss anyway, and if I had one I could see myself wearing it to the office on the colder days of winter. The questions for that are single-breasted or double? And what colour?

As for the bride's side being suitably formal, I'm sure they'll all dress nice. This will be a cross-cultural wedding though, so I don't imagine we'll all be able to perfectly match each other's idea of formal. I don't think this'll be an insurmountable problem though.

Solvent on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    The general rule for waistcoats is that single breasted jackets go with double breasted waistcoats, double breasted jackets go with single breasted waistcoats, and triple breasted jackets are hilarious. For color, buff is the the most conservative, followed by dove grey. Here's a good guide.

I definitely recommend black lounge/stroller. It's informal enough not to look that funny in various contexts, and you can get matching trousers with the jacket to own a tux too. It will also provide a subtle contrast to all the tuxes and suits worn by the guests without looking too extremely different. Here's the guide for that.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FWIW I'm getting married at 2pm on a saturday, and will be wearing a mid gray suit with peak lapels and a DB waistcoat in buff linen. I can personally guarantee that this look is fly as hell.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're in Vietnam, I would seriously consider getting your suit made at Yaly Couture, which are located in Hoi An. The range of fabrics is pretty good and you can either bring your own design (from a magazine), or they have a heap of Vogues, GQs, etc where you can pick your style out.

My recommendation is peak lapels - something about it just looks sharper and its more classical. Make sure you wear suspenders, but I'm not so hot on a cummerbund, personally. Get a proper bow tie (not those pre-fabricated ones) and a nice white silk pocket square. Remember to wear a slim, preferably silver/steel, watch with a leather band and match your cufflinks to it.

As for choice between winged or regular collars, it's a wash - comes down to preference. Winged collars are a little more traditional and just make sure the wings are behind your bow-tie, not peaking out in front.

Glorfindel on
This discussion has been closed.