Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

16162646667103

Posts

  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Nah, a lot of the animated movies just haven't been very good.

    Superman: Doomsday, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Batman: Year One were all pretty much garbage. And a few more were just kind of okay.

    I mean, looking at how Superman: Doomsday was translated from The Death of Superman, it's easy to see how you could get a seriously flawed adaptation of Tower of Babel.

  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    From what I understand it's DiDio who hates Waid, not Johns.

    And Doomsday ruled.

    steam_sig-400.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    why would anyone hate Mark Waid?

  • JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but either way it is too awesome not to post.

    camo_sig2.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    why would anyone hate Mark Waid?

    He hasn't been getting along with DC or Didio for a while. That's why he left DC for Marvel.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but either way it is too awesome not to post.


    hahahaaaaa

  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    JMan711 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but either way it is too awesome not to post.


    hahahaaaaa


    This was great. Only think that was missing was Phil LaMarr.

    Spoiler:
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    why would anyone hate Mark Waid?

    He hasn't been getting along with DC or Didio for a while. That's why he left DC for Marvel.

    that doesn't answer my question!

  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    why would anyone hate Mark Waid?

    He hasn't been getting along with DC or Didio for a while. That's why he left DC for Marvel.

    that doesn't answer my question!

    The word that goes around all the time is that Didio was really control freakish about 52, and didn't think it was very good. Allegedly, he particularly hated how Mark Waid was dealing with the Elongated Man stuff, and stepped in to rewrite a bunch of it without telling anyone.

    Beyond that he had denied Waid the opportunity to write an actual Superman ongoing for years for no reason at all beyond what seemed like a personal vendetta.

    After the 52 stuff, Waid just had enough and left. Wacker left midway through 52, so it's possible he took off for similar reasons.

    As far as I know, though, all four of the writers and Wacker are all still on good terms with eachother.

    But I dunno. Maybe Geoff Johns threw Mark Waid off a cliff at one point or something.

  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Is that a new release date at the end of the Avengers trailer? Could have sworn it said May in the other one...

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla The Year 198X Being Xtreme to the MaxxRegistered User regular
    It is a UK trailer and for some godforsaken reason they get it 9 days before the US

  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Anyone else think that the music and invasion sound effects for the Avengers trailer were a bit too Transformersy or Battleshippy?
    herojoe wrote: »
    From what I understand it's DiDio who hates Waid, not Johns.

    And Doomsday ruled.

    Hell yeah, clone Superman was a wonderfully creepy villain.

  • TexiKenTexiKen Oh, no. And that's that.Registered User regular
    The ending to the trailer MrRaven posted definitely had a Transformers 3 vibe.

    ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
  • DritzDritz Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Nah, a lot of the animated movies just haven't been very good.

    Superman: Doomsday, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Batman: Year One were all pretty much garbage. And a few more were just kind of okay.

    I mean, looking at how Superman: Doomsday was translated from The Death of Superman, it's easy to see how you could get a seriously flawed adaptation of Tower of Babel.

    You guys are crazy Doom was pretty ok. Alright that isn't a glowing endorsement but it certainly isn't as bad as people are saying it is. Some of the stuff to take at the Justice League was better than the comic and some of it was worse (Wonder Woman's seemed really off in particular).

    Public Enemies and Year One weren't too bad. Though Year One was kind of dull.

    The only one of the DC movies that I truly don't like is Apocalypse. That was just terrible, especially the look of it.

    I wish they would stop remaking comics though. The only one that I felt really worked was Under the Hood which was fairly different from the source.

    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It is a UK trailer and for some godforsaken reason they get it 9 days before the US

    Eff you, Solar.

  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Almost every country in the world gets Avengers before the US for some ass-backwards reason.

    Not trying to insult those countries of course, just really pissed off about it.

    What is best in life?
  • TexiKenTexiKen Oh, no. And that's that.Registered User regular
    It's ridiculous. American super-heroes with a mostly American cast not opening first in the US is just weird.

    It would be like us getting Tintin or Asterix films first and Europe getting it later.

    ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    Nah, a lot of the animated movies just haven't been very good.

    Superman: Doomsday, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Batman: Year One were all pretty much garbage. And a few more were just kind of okay.

    I mean, looking at how Superman: Doomsday was translated from The Death of Superman, it's easy to see how you could get a seriously flawed adaptation of Tower of Babel.

    You guys are crazy Doom was pretty ok. Alright that isn't a glowing endorsement but it certainly isn't as bad as people are saying it is. Some of the stuff to take at the Justice League was better than the comic and some of it was worse (Wonder Woman's seemed really off in particular).

    Public Enemies and Year One weren't too bad. Though Year One was kind of dull.

    The only one of the DC movies that I truly don't like is Apocalypse. That was just terrible, especially the look of it.

    I wish they would stop remaking comics though. The only one that I felt really worked was Under the Hood which was fairly different from the source.

    I'm almost alright with Apocalypse, even. It just has two scenes in it that are totally unnecessary and cringe inducing, and ruin the whole thing for me. It's so sad, because I hadn't read the source material, and was expecting Loeb's Darkseid to be totally off, but the whole story actually worked really well.

    Almost.

    Until
    Spoiler:

    And I'd say you're onto something with the adaptions, but I thought Red Hood and All Star Superman were both fantastic, and I really enjoyed New Frontier the first time I saw it as well. Public Enemies even works pretty well, if you just take it as a big, dumb beat-em-up movie. But then Year One and that Green Lantern Shorts movie are so baaaaaad.

    For the most part, I've loved the movies, so it sucks that we've had an entire year of Let Downs now (Emerald Knights, Year One, JL:Doom). I can't believe we've had almost five years of these things; I'm starting to feel ancient.

  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Why did Red Hood look so much better than the other DC Animated movies - different animation studio or something?

  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I'm almost alright with Apocalypse, even. It just has two scenes in it that are totally unnecessary and cringe inducing, and ruin the whole thing for me. It's so sad, because I hadn't read the source material, and was expecting Loeb's Darkseid to be totally off, but the whole story actually worked really well.

    Almost.

    Until
    Spoiler:

    And I'd say you're onto something with the adaptions, but I thought Red Hood and All Star Superman were both fantastic, and I really enjoyed New Frontier the first time I saw it as well. Public Enemies even works pretty well, if you just take it as a big, dumb beat-em-up movie. But then Year One and that Green Lantern Shorts movie are so baaaaaad.

    For the most part, I've loved the movies, so it sucks that we've had an entire year of Let Downs now (Emerald Knights, Year One, JL:Doom). I can't believe we've had almost five years of these things; I'm starting to feel ancient.

    I liked the Darkseid fight, sure it didn't make much sense, but it was still utterly epic. That and the Darkseid/Batman scene made the rental worth it imo. Still far from the fantastic Red Hood, All-Star and Crisis. It's a shame to see the new movie sucks. I had such high hopes!

    What happened DC! Your one huge advantage over Marvel was your mastery of the animated superhero shows/movies. With Brave and the Bold ended, and a sting of mediocre to bad TV shows and movies, you've really lost your touch. The only thing we have to look forward to is the upcoming Batman TV show, and based on the art direction and gun wielding Alfred, I dunno if I'm even looking forward to it!

    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    Spoiler:
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It is a UK trailer and for some godforsaken reason they get it 9 days before the US

    Eff you, Solar.

    :rotate:

  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    another Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon character announced

    white-tiger-ultimate-spider-man.jpg

    saiyan2.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Dritz wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    Nah, a lot of the animated movies just haven't been very good.

    Superman: Doomsday, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Batman: Year One were all pretty much garbage. And a few more were just kind of okay.

    I mean, looking at how Superman: Doomsday was translated from The Death of Superman, it's easy to see how you could get a seriously flawed adaptation of Tower of Babel.

    You guys are crazy Doom was pretty ok. Alright that isn't a glowing endorsement but it certainly isn't as bad as people are saying it is. Some of the stuff to take at the Justice League was better than the comic and some of it was worse (Wonder Woman's seemed really off in particular).

    Public Enemies and Year One weren't too bad. Though Year One was kind of dull.

    The only one of the DC movies that I truly don't like is Apocalypse. That was just terrible, especially the look of it.

    I wish they would stop remaking comics though. The only one that I felt really worked was Under the Hood which was fairly different from the source.

    I'm almost alright with Apocalypse, even. It just has two scenes in it that are totally unnecessary and cringe inducing, and ruin the whole thing for me. It's so sad, because I hadn't read the source material, and was expecting Loeb's Darkseid to be totally off, but the whole story actually worked really well.

    Almost.

    Until
    Spoiler:

    And I'd say you're onto something with the adaptions, but I thought Red Hood and All Star Superman were both fantastic, and I really enjoyed New Frontier the first time I saw it as well. Public Enemies even works pretty well, if you just take it as a big, dumb beat-em-up movie. But then Year One and that Green Lantern Shorts movie are so baaaaaad.

    For the most part, I've loved the movies, so it sucks that we've had an entire year of Let Downs now (Emerald Knights, Year One, JL:Doom). I can't believe we've had almost five years of these things; I'm starting to feel ancient.

    Did Darkseid hide in a barn like he in the comics?

  • TurambarTurambar Captain 'Crawler of the Warship XavierRegistered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    another Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon character announced

    white-tiger-ultimate-spider-man.jpg

    Luke Cage in da house

    4f4fd55a93c4a.jpg

    http://marvel.com/news/story/18207/spider-man_his_ultimate_friends_power_man

    nc_sig_1.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar
  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Wishpig wrote:
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    What happened DC! Your one huge advantage over Marvel was your mastery of the animated superhero shows/movies. With Brave and the Bold ended, and a sting of mediocre to bad TV shows and movies, you've really lost your touch. The only thing we have to look forward to is the upcoming Batman TV show, and based on the art direction and gun wielding Alfred, I dunno if I'm even looking forward to it!

    Young Justice is good. And I thought Justice League Doom was alright.

    JMan711 wrote:
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but either way it is too awesome not to post.


    And this is amazing.

    steam_sig-400.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    It's sort of reminiscent of the new Power Man's costume. I wonder if they'll borrow some other elements from that character as well.

  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Why is power man wearing overalls?

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Why is power man wearing overalls?

    I was about to say

  • TurambarTurambar Captain 'Crawler of the Warship XavierRegistered User regular
    4f512bf8321e7.jpg

    Nova looks kinda weird

    Also, it's not Rich



    nc_sig_1.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar
  • TexiKenTexiKen Oh, no. And that's that.Registered User regular
    That clip with Fury wouldn't be something that would be ultimate, it would be reckless and a waste of a good flag pole. I like the idea of trying to incorporate the word Ultimate into the show, even the words being tangible, to make it stand out from other stuff, but that was one of those scenes where it breaks my suspension of disbelief.

    That Nova thing just seems odd if they aren't using Rich. If they were using Ultimate Rick Jones, use his design.

    ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Captain 'Crawler of the Warship XavierRegistered User regular
    Actually, his name is Sam Alexander and is completely new

    http://marvel.com/news/story/18223/spider-man_his_ultimate_friends_nova

    Could be that's the name of the new Nova in 616?

    nc_sig_1.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar
  • JyrenBJyrenB Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Actually, his name is Sam Alexander and is completely new

    http://marvel.com/news/story/18223/spider-man_his_ultimate_friends_nova

    Could be that's the name of the new Nova in 616?

    That's my guess.

    I'm a huge Rich fan, but I'm okay with this. Nova can stand to be a new character, and I'd rather the new annoying kid not be Rich. Hell, I'm even willing to give him a chance to be more than just annoying like he was in the few pages we got.

    We shall see how things go.

    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
  • TexiKenTexiKen Oh, no. And that's that.Registered User regular
    It probably will be the new 616 Nova, since Loeb is also part of Marvel animation, forgot about his new job.

    I just think Rich never got a chance to really expand on his new role, or was in need of getting replaced compared to Cap and Bucky. If we never had Annihilation, it would have made more sense to switch Rich out, but when you salvage a character, don't let it go to waste.

    ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
  • JyrenBJyrenB Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It probably will be the new 616 Nova, since Loeb is also part of Marvel animation, forgot about his new job.

    I just think Rich never got a chance to really expand on his new role, or was in need of getting replaced compared to Cap and Bucky. If we never had Annihilation, it would have made more sense to switch Rich out, but when you salvage a character, don't let it go to waste.

    It's not really a waste to make a new character right now.

    Everyone always complains when character die and come back too soon. Now we're in a situation where Rich and Starlord sacrificed themselves to basically end the last major Marvel cosmic event. Sure, it's been a couple years, but keeping them off the field for a while isn't necessarily a bad thing.

    Damn, this devil's advocate thing is horrible. I want them back so bad.

    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • TexiKenTexiKen Oh, no. And that's that.Registered User regular
    I agree in the principle too, and am not against new characters, this was just the one area/character where it didn't need to happen, out of all the Marvel characters, because they were able to save something which wowed us all.

    What I'm saying is Richard Rider was Herbie the Love Bug.

    ohno_zpsdb826db6.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    It'd be cool to see Rich as an already estblished, Nova Prime badass ordering this new punk around on Not-So-Ultimate Spider-Man.

  • TurambarTurambar Captain 'Crawler of the Warship XavierRegistered User regular
    Attention Richard Rider
    It's critical that you pay attention at this time:
    Wherever you are;
    I love you

    nc_sig_1.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla The Year 198X Being Xtreme to the MaxxRegistered User regular
    I think Rich is a fantastic character, but he went out like a damn champ and doesn't need to be brought back any time soon.

    Sam seems like he has the potential to be a fun new young hero in the vein of Ultimate Peter Parker, but in the 616. It helps that I am betting Hickman will be writing him in Avengers post AvX.

This discussion has been closed.