As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought the first Witcher was janky and dull, but this sequel is so freaking good. It's the best Fantasy RPG since BG2.

Hoz on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    thank god that invert worked

The save I grabbed is perfect too, came witih D'Yaebl, Aerondight, and Raven's Armor (although no oren's or extra levels or skills or anything)

Oh shoot, so that's why I have 250,000 orens. I haven't noticed any extra levels or skills, though, so I think it just gives you the extra money. I wouldn't go so far as to say it RUINS the game, however, but if you don't like having a monetary advantage it's a bit annoying.

Now I don't know what to do. I want to have a save to import, even if the decisions carried over aren't too large, but I don't want to replay the first game to do so. I'm already a few hours into The Witcher 2. Do I want to restart just so I don't have an overwhelming amount of cash?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So apparently W2 doesn't work with Logitech G35 headphones. :/

CJTheran on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dashui wrote: »

The save I grabbed is perfect too, came witih D'Yaebl, Aerondight, and Raven's Armor (although no oren's or extra levels or skills or anything)

Oh shoot, so that's why I have 250,000 orens. I haven't noticed any extra levels or skills, though, so I think it just gives you the extra money. I wouldn't go so far as to say it RUINS the game, however, but if you don't like having a monetary advantage it's a bit annoying.

Now I don't know what to do. I want to have a save to import, even if the decisions carried over aren't too large, but I don't want to replay the first game to do so. I'm already a few hours into The Witcher 2. Do I want to restart just so I don't have an overwhelming amount of cash?

Just spend all the money on whores and gambling in Flotsam until you get down to a reasonable amount

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    King Foltest is the best king I have ever seen portrayed anywhere. He's regal and arrogant in a good way, cares about his men and inspires them on the battlefield (like how he remembers their names and chats it up with the disfigured soldier). And he geniunely cares about his children which is why he's fighting the war.

"Where the hell are we headed?!"

"To Battle!"

"What the fuck do we want?!"

"Victory!"

"This I Like...!"

He surely is a monarch worth ten of his kind.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Beezel wrote: »

Just spend all the money on whores and gambling in Flotsam until you get down to a reasonable amount

Hey now, that's a good idea. What's a reasonable amount for the first chapter? I just reached the town and picked up some side-quests.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    5 or 10k maybe. Work those loins, Geralt.

Beezel on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Any king who's willing to man up and run into battle with his men is good by me.

Even if he does make stupid decisions.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I want a Foltest prequel spinoff game.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Any king who's willing to man up and run into battle with his men is good by me.

Even if he does make stupid decisions.

"I don't like the looks of that cocksucker on the wall up there. READY THE BALLISTA!"

Beezel on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait, there were abilities I missed getting in the prologue? What the shiiiiit? I'm not going to restart the game for them, but can anyone fill me in on what they are and how much I should care that I missed them?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think the enablesharp=1 to =0 in user.ini in the documents/witcher2/config folder tip should be in the op. It makes the game look nicer and eliminates the annoying grid shadows. No real downside that I can see.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Even if it's just money, I feel like my save is contaminated. If I restart fresh without importing, then I feel like I'll miss out on some content. If I replay the first game, then I have to go through 40 hours of tedium and my copy of the second game will be teasing me on my desk all the while. Sigh. I could offload all the money on some shop or dice table, though that would take awhile, but I read from someone who did this that the money showed up again in the second chapter (don't know if this is true, though).

I want to punch the cocksucker in the mouth for hacking his save and uploading it.

Dashui on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So how long until we have a complete guide to boning all the ladies? I'm still in chapter 1, but I don't want to miss anything like some of the harder to get ones in the first game which you could easily just never do.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I wanna know how I can bone Ves with having Triss none the wiser.
    Because goddamn if Ves wasn't poured into those pants

Beezel on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure I can let Geralt be a player in this game with a clear conscience. Triss is too great.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Triss is willing to put up with Geralt's manwhoring to an extent
    Brothel? Ok (They don't mean anything baby)
    Eyeballing that other sorceress or the tomboy assassin? Not Ok

Beezel on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Even if it's just money, I feel like my save is contaminated. If I restart fresh without importing, then I feel like I'll miss out on some content. If I replay the first game, then I have to go through 40 hours of tedium and my copy of the second game will be teasing me on my desk all the while. Sigh. I could offload all the money on some shop or dice table, though that would take awhile, but I read from someone who did this that the money showed up again in the second chapter (don't know if this is true, though).

I want to punch the cocksucker in the mouth for hacking his save and uploading it.

What exactly are you missing by not importing, that you would get by using someone else's save? The default is a continuation of your adventures as Geralt as much as someone elses import save.

As for a reasonable amount for the first chapter, I am currently at 1500ish and feel fucking rich

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    if you don't mind a bit of grind and a help to some of the immersion. Dont' buy anything except the recipes to make all your own shit.

Spend your fight money on whores and gambling.

It's the witcher way

Beezel on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I ended Chapter 1 with 3300 gold after buying about 1200 worth of recipes and a couple of the rarer ingredients (Fulgrum).

Just count how many orens you have right now, subtract 4500, and don't ever spend more than that. Problem solved.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    spectraspectra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone know how you start the Troll Trouble quest? According to the launcher I have it installed but I don't know where to go in Act I to actually get it/start it.

spectra on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Go to the sign board next to the inn door?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You guys know there's a save editor for TW1, right? That's presumably how people jammed tons of money in their saves, and can as easily be undone; no need for panic.

After messing around in TW2's prologue to see what it was like, I've gone back to finishing up TW1 (end of ch3 right now). I've been delaying so both paths will be available at end of chapter, so if Ch4/5/ep isn't too long, I could reload from there and try the other way. Otherwise I'll just see how well the editor can modify choices.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    spectraspectra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The signboard just has a notice to go register on the forum and input the code in the launcher.

spectra on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does chapter 1 end with
    Letho fight in the elf ruins?

Got a bunch of quests to hand in/finish up.

Also, the elfs outside town:
    They speak of an elf chick who dissappeared a while back. Does that come up at some point?

Upgrading graphics drivers to the nvidia beta drivers made a huge difference. Combat is no longer unresponsive and is actually fun instead of infuriatingly bad. Loving this game now.

danx on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So there should be some drivers for ATI cards due next week?

Beezel on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've been watching Let's Play's on youtube... damn, the nudity is pretty liberal in this game. Not that I'm complaining, or anything :winky:

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You guys know there's a save editor for TW1, right? That's presumably how people jammed tons of money in their saves, and can as easily be undone; no need for panic.

Oh, phew. I went and found that and reverted the money to a normal amount.

And to those asking why anyone or I would use a save game that's not mine, it's partly because I don't want to miss out on content, no matter how trivial, and also because I went over the decisions made in that save. It seemed matched everything I did in the first game, so it may as well be mine.
    Beezel wrote: »
    So there should be some drivers for ATI cards due next week?

I hope so. It's been a battle to get it to stop having frame skips every second and a half curing cutscenes and in certain areas. I reverted to 11.4 and disabled Catalyst A.I., and thought that fixed it, but started it up today and it was back. I'm thinking it's either me disabling some processes (java, iTunes related processes, instant messaging programs) or turning off vertical sync that is helping the most.

Dashui on
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    Wait, there were abilities I missed getting in the prologue? What the shiiiiit? I'm not going to restart the game for them, but can anyone fill me in on what they are and how much I should care that I missed them?

Parts ripped from the GameFaqs forums:
    Axii Sign Hex: Use Axii in conversation. Allows you to mesmerise characters to unlock certain dialogue options. Has three levels.

Intimidate: Use the Intimidate option in conversation (the eye with a lightning bolt through it). Geralt gets mean on characters to unlock certain dialogue options. Has three levels.

Persuade: Use the Persuade option in conversation (eye with the star). Geralt gets smooth and conciliatory on characters to unlock certain dialogue options. Has three levels.

Assassin: 25% damage bonus when attacking from behind. Obtained by finding the white-robed assassin face-down in a haystack near the ballista in the prologue.

Strong Back: +50 to weight capacity. Must spare Aryan La VaLette, and rescue him from the La Valette dungeons later.

Cover: 10% damage reduction. Obtained at the beginning of Act I, where you are attacked by Scoia'tel. Must stay under Triss's magic umbrella for the journey from the ship to Flotsam.

Conjuror: +3 sign damage. I think I got it after using Axii in dialogue several times.

Started a new run last night just so I could get all the hidden abilities.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone know how to gain access to the Swordsman Suit? I registered my game, used my code for the armor, but it's not in my inventory.

Dashui on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just crafted the Kayran Carpace Armor... It does not look good D:

edit: Well, maybe I can get used to it for these stats... but this hood is really not doing it for me

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just got a talent called David. And no, I'm not mistaking that for a new journal entry. I forgot what it does, but it is a talent called David. I got it in Chapter 2 after speaking with
    serrit

Lalabox on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone know where I can buy Armor Enhancement diagrams? I've been all over flotsam and can't seem to find anyone with the +2 ones. It seems like I've seen a merchant with them before so it's driving me crazy. I can't find a merchant list or anything online.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy Armor Enhancement diagrams? I've been all over flotsam and can't seem to find anyone with the +2 ones. It seems like I've seen a merchant with them before so it's driving me crazy. I can't find a merchant list or anything online.

There's the dwarven smith outside the bookstore in the Non-Human district. You can also approach Sendler who is in a hut in Lobinden. I think one of the merchants in the Market Square also sell one or two diagrams.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    The poacher in Lobinden (near the herbalist's house) has a bunch of the good ones. I picked up a mail enhancement (heh) and a diamond one too.

e: Sendler is the poacher. Beat by a mile.

DogEight on
  • Options
    McSnugglesMcSnuggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, uh, I need help. Chapter 3 boss.
    How in the flying fuck am I supposed to kill the dragon? Im on the roof of the tower for the second phase or whatever and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. I've used Aard, Igni, Yrden, etc. Going in for a hit ends with me getting my shit ruined, knocked back, and my shield knocked out. What?

Edit: Beat it. Turns out it's just a poorly designed and super tedious fight.

McSnuggles on
    360 Gamertag: Mcsnuggles
    371610-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Prologue evening. The absolute last thing this game needed was QTEs.

Ech.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They caught me by surprise but I didn't dislike them

Beezel on
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone else thinks the Swordman tree is a tad weak? due to how combat now works how you use your signs and bombs matters much more than how much damage you do with your sword. You still hit stuff to finish it off, but it hardly matters if you deal 20% more damage and poison them while doing it if you had to disable them through bombs and signs first to hit them anyhow.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone else thinks the Swordman tree is a tad weak? due to how combat now works how you use your signs and bombs matters much more than how much damage you do with your sword. You still hit stuff to finish it off, but it hardly matters if you deal 20% more damage and poison them while doing it if you had to disable them through bombs and signs first to hit them anyhow.

Well, swords have the advantage of being consistent and dependable - at any point in the game you are guaranteed to have at least one sword. Whereas Signs and Alchemy are Vigour and reagent dependent, respectively, and there may be times when you run out.

Wolfprint on